OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When this Motion was argued in Court at Jake's last hearing, Canepa said Jake was violent towards one of the victims, theft was involved, and there were other things that happened as well.

I hope Deering allows all of this to come out at trial. My opinion is that it's absolutely relevant to show how Jake was treating the victims, it can really show motive and even an escalation of violence.
This ⬆️

I have followed the Rhoden/Gilley murders since the day after they happened. The two journalists that I found doing the most investigating and reporting were Chris Graves and Jody Barr. Most of you should know their names and their work. With their curiosity and compassion, they made things happen. They did a great job of holding people accountable (both the suspects and LE) Then, mid-investigation(I’m sorry I can’t give exact dates), both of these great journalists moved several states away, in different directions, to take new jobs in their respective fields. Is that coincidence? I have talked to Chris, and she won’t get into any specifics while the case is open. From reading her work, I know that she has some of the most inside knowledge of this case(outside of LE). I cannot wait til that woman writes a book about all of this. I believe she will, once this is all over. But it will be awhile. IMO

Hard to say. I couldn't bring myself to watch the first one, let alone the 2nd or eventual 3rd. SMH

I remember watching it at the insistence of my ex; as drama, it was well done, as violence, wrenching, and I may even have learned something (spray it down with ammonia to denature the DNA)whu?(Who the **** carries a spray bottle of ammonia with them to a killing spree??) but I never wanted to see that again. If we find out from testimony that ammonia was used to tamper with the crime scenes, well, I guess we'll know the source. ...and if it worked.

I have followed the Rhoden/Gilley murders since the day after they happened. The two journalists that I found doing the most investigating and reporting were Chris Graves and Jody Barr. Most of you should know their names and their work. With their curiosity and compassion, they made things happen. They did a great job of holding people accountable (both the suspects and LE) Then, mid-investigation(I’m sorry I can’t give exact dates), both of these great journalists moved several states away, in different directions, to take new jobs in their respective fields. Is that coincidence? I have talked to Chris, and she won’t get into any specifics while the case is open. From reading her work, I know that she has some of the most inside knowledge of this case(outside of LE). I cannot wait til that woman writes a book about all of this. I believe she will, once this is all over. But it will be awhile. IMO

I wondered why their reporting on this case slowed so dramatically. Where did they land jobs? Yes, that's definitely a book that I hope is written.

It always seem suspicious that they both were reporting heavily on this case and both up and move about a thousand miles away.
My opinion only....

It always seem suspicious that they both were reporting heavily on this case and both up and move about a thousand miles away.
My opinion only....

Yes, it will be great if Chris Graves writes a book. She gained the trust of the surviving Rhoden/Manley/Gilley family members and gained a lot of insight into these tragic murders and the events leading up to them.

There are no hearings scheduled for next week. RN's trial still shows scheduling for Oct 21, but we know from the last hearing, it will be rescheduled.

JW's next pre-trial hearing is scheduled for Dec. 11 at 10 am.

IIRC, the judge is using this time to review all the motions made by some of the defendants (many recently filed to meet the deadline). JMO, they will reschedule dates for these when the judge is ready to rule.

There are no hearings scheduled for next week. RN's trial still shows scheduling for Oct 21, but we know from the last hearing, it will be rescheduled.

JW's next pre-trial hearing is scheduled for Dec. 11 at 10 am.

IIRC, the judge is using this time to review all the motions made by some of the defendants (many recently filed to meet the deadline). JMO, they will reschedule dates for these when the judge is ready to rule.

Is anyone getting the feeling that more is going on in the background than we can even begin to comprehend? Can we believe it has been almost a year since the awesome arrests of RN and the Wagners? IMO, in the past year, Pike and surrounding counties have been hit hard with new deaths and/or unresolved murders, and it is a daunting task to research and connect, but I do believe it's happening. And I am not saying they are connected to the murders of the Rhodens and Hazel Gilley. I research for hours on end, and I am saying that I believe many unresolved murders will come to justice in the near years. With each arrest, someone talks. HopeforPikeCounty. All JMHO

Is anyone getting the feeling that more is going on in the background than we can even begin to comprehend? Can we believe it has been almost a year since the awesome arrests of RN and the Wagners? IMO, in the past year, Pike and surrounding counties have been hit hard with new deaths and/or unresolved murders, and it is a daunting task to research and connect, but I do believe it's happening. And I am not saying they are connected to the murders of the Rhodens and Hazel Gilley. I research for hours on end, and I am saying that I believe many unresolved murders will come to justice in the near years. With each arrest, someone talks. HopeforPikeCounty. All JMHO

Well, perhaps some of the other cases will be solved. That would bring a lot of relief to family and friends of the victims. I'm not sure all are connected to the Rhoden murders, but anything is possible. They have some people sitting in jail who are suspects in some murders, but haven't been charged. Not sure I understand how it takes so long to build a case when, for example, the body of your GF's mother is found burned in a fire pit in your back yard. o_O:eek:

Though not related to the Rhoden Murders, the opiod crisis continues to rage on, with more overdoses than ever. Hopefully the state will allocate some funds to build more rehab centers and get people out of addiction and back into productive lives.

fig1ohio.jpg

As for the Rhoden murders and the trials of the Wagners, JMO their investigation is completed. It's possible, though, that some of the accused are talking to prosecutors or at least their own attorneys about plea deals.

There's no honor among family annihilators.

Angie made it clear to her mom--- don't testify against any of them!

So Rita is between a rock and a hard place. If she cooperates with the prosecution to lessen her charges and sentence, thus helping herself, inevitably she could end up testifying against her family. That could be in her own trial or at theirs.

But if she stays stubborn, like we have seen already in court, and tries to play it off like she and her family didn't know they did wrong etc...then she is risking getting the book thrown at her.

Slippery slope.....What to do?

...2 Cents....

Rita Newcomb is charged with obstruction of justice, perjury, and three counts of forgery. No question, I help my child, grandchild(ren), if I have evidence that will do so, or exonerate them, and pull my time for my own crimes if found guilty.
She has no priors, she'd be out within 18 mos. if that. Possibly time served. Her kin are facing the DP.

Rita Newcomb is charged with obstruction of justice, perjury, and three counts of forgery. No question, I help my child, grandchild(ren), if I have evidence that will do so, or exonerate them, and pull my time for my own crimes if found guilty.
She has no priors, she'd be out within 18 mos. if that. Possibly time served. Her kin are facing the DP.

Interesting. To help her family she could try to take the fall and say it was all her idea and Jake was fine with the custody. That she, not Jake, instigated everything. It could go to the heart of the motive, that really Jake was fine with the way custody was, It was just Rita being overly concerned about it, "just wanting Jake to be protected as a dad if something happened."
A long shot that may not pay off, but if she really wants to help them she will have to "shoot herself in the foot" to do it.

Reasonable doubt?

Interesting. To help her family she could try to take the fall and say it was all her idea and Jake was fine with the custody. That she, not Jake, instigated everything. It could go to the heart of the motive, that really Jake was fine with the way custody was, It was just Rita being overly concerned about it, "just wanting Jake to be protected as a dad if something happened."
A long shot that may not pay off, but if she really wants to help them she will have to "shoot herself in the foot" to do it.

Reasonable doubt?
I keep asking myself, why would the state of Ohio pursue these charges against RN? They appear on the surface to be so small compared to the brutal murders of eight people, yet Ohio won't drop it.

Are they doing this to try to get someone to turn and confess?

Or maybe, the charges against RN run deeper than we realize.
  • The most obvious motive for the murders is custody of a child.
  • There was an undercurrent of drugs.
  • But after almost 3 years of cross country investigation, I believe LE has discovered additional motives at play that I couldn't even begin to guess at.
After all, Ohio wants a DP conviction for the W4. Based on the size of the W4's Discovery files it appears there is overwhelming evidence, of something..

On the surface, RN's charges appear to be aimed at establishing the fact that she is an Ohio notary and is willing to falsify documents.

There are many, many different types of documents and legal titles that require a notary's stamp and signature......

Just a possible scenario.

JMO

Last edited:

Reasonable doubt?

No, not take the fall, only provide them with any information that may exonerate her daughter, and/or her grandsons. I see her letting G3's fam take care of exonerating him after she's done. I don't see her having as much sympathy for a sil that may or may not have been the greatest sil or father or husband. AW also has a deceased father. Iirc, he passed after the murders occurred. I've wondered what, or if, he knew anything and divulged anything to his ex wife prior to his death? Could she have info that could get one or more out of this? Lots of "What ifs" scenarios, without her ever saying that she knew of the Ws plans that night, at all.

I keep asking myself, why would the state of Ohio pursue these charges against RN? They appear on the surface to be so small compared to the brutal murders of eight people, yet Ohio won't drop it.

• But after almost 3 years of cross country investigation, I believe LE has discovered additional motives at play that I couldn't even guess at.
After all, Ohio wants a DP conviction for the W4. Based on the size of the W4's Discovery files it appears there is overwhelming evidence, of something..

On the surface, RN's charges appear to be aimed at establishing the fact that she is an Ohio notary and is willing to falsify documents.

There are many, many different types of documents and legal titles that require a notary's stamp and signature......

JMO

I think they need her. They need her for exactly what you said; She falsified documents. It doesn't mean she knew about the plans for the murders, but, the Ws got her to falsify them and the prosecution needs to prove that she did. If they can't show proof then how can the prosecution use that against the defendants?

• But after almost 3 years of cross country investigation, I believe LE has discovered additional motives at play that I couldn't even guess at.

JMO
Basically all her attorney has to do is defend her against 2 charges. They took 2 things she did and squeezed 5 crimes out of it. They took one thing Fred did and doubled it.

Forging documents and lying under oath are the 2 crimes. If the prosecution is over blowing her GJ testimony, like with Fred's, then the Jury won't like that and if they don't believe she lied then 2 charges will be dismissed.

Same with the forged documents. If the Jury concludes that Rita legally notarized them and she had no reason to think they were forged, then 3 charges will be dismissed.

She has a good Case or her attorney would get her a plea deal where they drop 3 or 4 of her charges.

Why else would he risk taking it to trial? Because it could be the other way around. The Jury catches her in a lie--BOOM--she's automatically guilty of 2 charges. If they think she knew she was notarizing a fraudulent document--BAM--she ends up being guilty of 3 charges. Her attorney is risking alot -- 5 charges.

But the question you ask is why dump all these charges on her in the
first place?

It's because they can't indict her on the Count they really wish they could indict her on, the 4 Wagner's are indicted for it:

Count 22 Engaging in a Pattern of Corrupt Activity -- She is listed in this Count but they don't have the evidence to prove this charge.

... 2 Cents Opinion Only ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members