UK - 39 bodies found in lorry, Essex, 23 October 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
£30k absolutely boggles the mind. Going to sound extremely small-minded here, but as an American, I can fly on a budget airline pretty much anywhere in the world for under $1000 (I'm flying to Morocco for about $600 next month, and home from Dakar for about $750, for example.) I understand that my US passport gives me a lot of privilege, but can someone explain why it's so difficult to emigrate from Vietnam? How could a family with the means to afford a £30k fee be so naive as to send their child on this torturous journey? I'm so shocked I'm not even making sense over here...

From what I *understand*, a lot of these people are fronted the fees and incur a debt to the smugglers. They have about 3 years to pay it back.

I'm in the US so had to look up some figures. £30 000 is about $38,000 USD. The average monthly Vietnamese income is $150. Note average. Some careers pay a lot more.

Looks like they are Vietnamese and were illegal immigrants rather than trafficking. Still wow what a lot of money that is. The poor families who know their loved ones made the journey around that time.

It's a lifestyle...they are proud to drive those rigs. Also he may have been leasing it, so not technically the owner.

Do they know the risk doing it and just not care?

This is bringing to mind the Savapoulos case, where the driver was suspected at first by many. He was innocent pawn it turned out.

Last edited:
Hoa Nghiem on Twitter

Here is the translation of the texts sent by the young Vietnamese woman who claimed to be suffocating. I'm wondering if she wasn't communicating directly with her parents, as she states where she's from, down to "Vietnam". Anyone able to translate directly?

Be nice to know. They've been reported as freezing to death.

Where does that fit on timeline of travels?

E.g. did they suffocate and die, and THEN refrigeration turned on? What was supposed to have been haul? I would assume there is hour by hour and minute-by-minute log of the temperature in the trailer

PA reporting Mo Robinson due at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court on Saturday morning, quoting crown court official.

They also say his name appears on draft list at Chelmsford Crown Court on Monday.

Essex Police tell me categorically that their suspect has not been charged

Gareth Davies on Twitter

Update from PA: The Crown Prosecution Service said the appearance of Mo Robinson on the court list at Chelmsford Crown Court was a listing error.

Gareth Davies on Twitter

What I want to know is if those paying for this to be done would also be charged?

What I want to know is if those paying for this to be done would also be charged?

Are you referring to the victims who paid for them to be transported or their families? Doubtful. Very doubtful. M o o

I believe law enforcement is more focused on the people that transported them than the people get paid to have a better life assumably or were trafficked against their will.

Are you referring to the victims who paid for them to be transported or their families? Doubtful. Very doubtful. M o o

I believe law enforcement is more focused on the people that transported them then the people get paid to have a better life assumably or were trafficked against their will

In this case would be the victims parents who said they paid the 30k. Isn't that illegal, to traffic your kids across the world.

In this case would be the victims parents who said they paid the 30k. Isn't that illegal, to traffic your kids across the world.

That's not the case. Parents trafficking their child across the world.

She's a 26 year old woman, not a child. More likely they've paid for her to go on her own accord, not that the parents have forced her to the golden gate of the west.

Brother of a Vietnamese woman tells the BBC he fears she is among the Essex lorry dead. Pham Tra My, 26, has not been heard from since she sent urgent messages home saying she could not breathe. Last know location was Belgium after a failed attempt to cross to the UK.

Dominic Casciani on Twitter

Ms Pham's brother asked the BBC to provide information to Essex Police in the hope that it will assist in identifying her.

Ms Pham's family say £30k was paid to people smugglers and she had made one failed attempt to enter the UK. They were aware she was making another attempted crossing - and her last messages came at 10.30pm on Tuesday night - 2 hours before the trailer reached the UK.

We don't know if Ms Pham is among the victims. This has not been confirmed by the police. But the messages she sent to her family, hours before the dead were found, are in the next tweet. Please be warned that they are upsetting.

"I am really, really sorry, Mum and Dad, my trip to a foreign land has failed," Ms Pham wrote. "I am dying, I can't breathe. I love you very much Mum and Dad. I am sorry, Mother."

263D115D-2978-4E20-B87E-DC507BD1BE09.jpeg

Ms Pham’s brother told the BBC that her journey to the UK had begun on 3 October. She had instructed the family not to contact her because “the organisers” did not allow her to receive calls.

“She flew to China and stayed there for a couple days, then left for France. She called us when she reached each destination," Mr Pham told the BBC. "The first attempt she made to cross the border to the UK was 19 October, but she got caught. and turned back."

At time of writing, the BBC has been provided information on THREE Vietnamese nationals whose families believe they were in the trailer based on their movements, messages and loss of contact since Tuesday/Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members