UK - 39 bodies found in lorry, Essex, 23 October 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
23 October 2019:

Murder probe launched after 39 bodies found inside lorry in Essex

3_Police-Eastern-Avenue-Thurrock.jpg

A murder probe has been launched after 39 bodies were found in a lorry in Essex.

Emergency services were called to Waterglade Industrial Park in Grays at around 1.40am this morning.

When they arrived they found the bodies of 39 people in the back of a vehicle.

Early indications suggest 38 are adults and one a teenager.

1_Waterglade-Industrial-Estate.jpg

Chief Superintendent Andrew Mariner said: "This is a tragic incident where a large number of people have lost their lives. Our enquiries are ongoing to establish what has happened.

"We are in the process of identifying the victims, however I anticipate that this could be a lengthy process.

"We believe the lorry is from Bulgaria and entered the country at Holyhead on Saturday 19 October and we are working closely with our partners to investigate.

"We have arrested the lorry driver in connection with the incident who remains in police custody as our enquiries continue. I appreciate this cordon is going to disrupt the activity of local businesses in the area and we will work to ensure that disruption is kept as short as possible.

"We are working with Thurrock Council to mitigate against any impact our investigation scene will have locally."

A cordon has been put in place and access to and from the Waterglade Industrial Park remains closed.

LIVE: NI man arrested after 39 bodies found in lorry in Essex

1_Thurrock-industrial-estate.jpg

09:51KEY EVENT
39 people have been found dead in a lorry in an industrial estate

1_Police-Eastern-Avenue-Thurrock.jpg

Police at the scene on Eastern Avenue in Thurrock (Image: Essex Live)

A murder investigation has been launched after the bodies of 39 people were found inside a lorry container in Grays.

Live updates as NI man arrested after 39 bodies found in lorry

09:52
Updates
A reporter is heading to the scene.

We’ll bring you the latest from this breaking news incident as we get it.

09:54
What we know so far?
- Police were called to the Waterglade Industrial Park in Eastern Avenue by paramedics shortly before 1.40am

- 39 people were pronounced dead at the scene

- Essex Police say 38 of them are believed to be adults. One is believed to be in their teens

09:54
Man arrested on suspicion of murder
A 25-year-old-man from Northern Ireland has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

09:55

Chief Superintendent Andrew Mariner said:

This is a tragic incident where a large number of people have lost their lives. Our enquiries are ongoing to establish what has happened.

We are in the process of identifying the victims, however I anticipate that this could be a lengthy process.

We believe the lorry is from Bulgaria and entered the country at Holyhead on Saturday 19 October and we are working closely with our partners to investigate.

We have arrested the lorry driver in connection with the incident who remains in police custody as our enquiries continue. I appreciate this cordon is going to disrupt the activity of local businesses in the area and we will work to ensure that disruption is kept as short as possible. We are working with Thurrock Council to mitigate against any impact our investigation scene will have locally.

09:57

Essex Police will be holding a media briefing this morning

DCC Pippa Mills will deliver a statement regarding the murder investigation at Grays Police Station at 11.30am this morning.

We’ll bring you the latest on this breaking news incident throughout the day.

10:18

"I knew it would be something bad"

Charlie Duggins-Jones, who saw the police cordon on his way to work this morning, said:

When I saw that the road wasn’t just closed off to access, but curtained off from view, I knew it would be something bad, but not this awful.

It’s incredibly shocking being so close to where you work, our whole industrial site is talking about it!

It’s the last thing you expect to find when you come to work in the morning.

10:19KEY EVENT

Photos from the scene in Thurrock
0_Thurrock-industrial-estate.jpg

A large police presence remain at the scene in Thurrock (Image: Essex Live)

Barriers have been put up at the entrance of the Waterglade Industrial Estate (Image: Essex Live)

The road into the industrial estate is completely shut to traffic (Image: Essex Live)

A number of police cars remain at the scene outside the Waterglade Industrial Estate in Thurrock (Image: Essex Live)

10:22

Local resident Paige Wade was driving past the industrial park at 4.15am on the way home from work

She told the PA news agency:

I had just finished work while driving up Motherwell Way and all you could see was blue flashing lights, as I was driving past there was police tape to cordon off the start of eastern avenue.

I knew it was serious because of how many police cars and ambulances were there, but the police had parked their cars across the whole access of the road so you couldn’t see anything.

There’s always lorries around there as they park up there for the night, I couldn’t say whether I did or didn’t see the actual lorry in question.

10:27KEY EVENT

First video from the scene

(Video at link)

10:33

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is "appalled" by the incident

I’m appalled by this tragic incident in Essex.

I am receiving regular updates and the Home Office will work closely with Essex Police as we establish exactly what has happened.

My thoughts are with all those who lost their lives & their loved ones.

10:35

An aerial view of the police cordon in Thurrock

An aerial shot of the police cordon in Thurrock (Image: Sky News)

10:45

Glen Freeland, from GSF Car Parts which is close to where the bodies were found, revealed that staff could not access the shop this morning

He told the Mirror Online:

The manager went to get into work this morning and it was cordoned off and we’ve been moved to a different area.

All we know is they found the bodies in the back of a lorry.

It was a bit of a shock but we’re not 100 per cent sure of what’s happened.

10:46KEY EVENT

This is the scene where 39 people have been found dead in a container

Pictures show the scene where 39 people have been found dead.

Police were called to the scene by paramedics during the early hours of the morning (Image: Essex Live)

https://www.essexlive.news/news/ess...28.497788513.1571821055-1036673927.1542286318

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members