Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, long term members wade through those pages regularly to supply info to newer members. It is a very laborious task.

But I bet you are both learning a lot. That is why some of us encourage newer members to go back and read through the threads.
I'm catching up on the newer threads.....I shudder to think just how much catching up new members have to do. I remember how much detail and how many bloody pages there were in each one! Set aside a long weekend and you might get there. Just catching up on newer stuff is full on. I had forgotten just how bloody fabulous our ws members are. You are a talented bunch.

I firmly believe there is enough evidence for a civil case ... because the prosecutor believed there was enough evidence for a criminal trial.

As I said, the burden of proof is different in a civil case. It is not 'beyond a reasonable doubt' in a civil case. It is on the 'balance of probabilities'.
If the prosecutor believed there was enough evidence for a criminal trial, i wonder why the prosecution was then not successful at Trial?
And do you have a link that supports what you're saying about a civil case in a circumstance where the case was not successful at a criminal trial, that victims in such a case would be able to take it to a civil case and gain what exactly? TIA.

South Aussie you would have followed this?

Gordon Wood and Caroline Byrne.

Do I remember correctly that there may have been something done incorrectly in that investigation and Wood was released from prison after being charged?

Been so long since read the book on this but cannot remember. I know something happened in this case? Was a key factor, he was charged then released.

A sad but very interesting story
I actually met that slimey dude GW many many years ago when he was Rene rivkins dogs body......a forgettable meeting at the time. I was too fascinated by renes fat fingers working those worry beads he always had.......a tragic heartbreaking case.
I would love to read the book on the case..... as its my home town . we ran in same fashion circles........I lived and breathed my assistant stylist job ( vacuous as that seems)
. I met some odd ones through ACP magazine circle ....does anyone remember Revelle Balmain? Missing and from what i have heard murdered. I had met her too on a casting ....the Sydney fashion world is small ....really small

Last edited:
Four Corners: Nov 4

On Monday, in a Four Corners exclusive, the man wrongly accused in the William Tyrrell child abduction investigation speaks publicly for the first time.

“It’s all shattered…we’ve had no life at all.” Bill Spedding

Bill Spedding, a washing machine repair man, was accused of abducting three-year-old William Tyrrell. The little boy, dressed in a Spiderman suit, vanished without a trace in 2014 from the front yard of a family home. After initially treating his disappearance as a missing person case, the police zeroed in on Bill Spedding as their key ‘Person of Interest’, believing he had taken the child.

I’d have some pity for him if I’d never heard of those little girls in Campbelltown. Allegedly.

Damn that’s horrific.

I’d have some pity for him if I’d never heard of those little girls in Campbelltown. Allegedly.

Damn that’s horrific.
I'll say alleged too .....those little girls statements were heartbreaking. And abhorrent. I agree totally, if it wasn't for the poor little girls I may feel slightly sorry for old BS. I don't . And IMO it doesn't really surprise me . Early on there was a lot of BS sluething ...he has shady friends for an innocent man. Thats not a sign of a good guy.

Last edited:
I was actually just wondering about that. If he is getting paid for the interview, maybe the girls can have some success in civil court and be awarded some damages for (I believe) his crimes against them.

The burden of proof is different in a civil court.

What a good day it would be if they saw justice.
Imagine not being believed then to see a cop come along and say they’ll get some help.

Every dog has his day.

Yes and a thing called evidence i believe IMO
Evidence one could have made disappearing in the grey past, so as the medical report or something similar important (I remember vague). With "one" I don't mean the perp himself.

I'll say alleged too .....those little girls statements were heartbreaking. And abhorrent. I agree totally, if it wasn't for the poor little girls I may feel slightly sorry for old BS. I don't . And IMO it doesn't really surprise me . Early on there was a lot of BS sluething ...he has shady friends for an innocent man. Thats not a sign of a good guy.

Yep edie.
Where there’s smoke.

Evidence one could have made disappearing in the grey past, so as the medical report or something similar important (I remember vague). With "one" I don't mean the perp himself.

Historical cases are fraught with problems for the prosecution ...

- First there is the problem that delay invariably leads to suspicion regarding the veracity of the complaint and invites the question why the complaint was not made sooner.
- The memory of the victim will also have faded to some extent and the associated vagueness or uncertainty regarding some aspects of the victim's evidence may adversely impact upon the persuasiveness of the victim's testimony.
- Another child who may have witnessed the abuse many years ago may no longer be able to recall the event, and the 'torn pyjama' will obviously no longer be available.
- The relationship between the victim and accused also places added strain on victims in giving evidence.

"Nevertheless, the fundamental problem remains that in child sexual abuse cases children are required to challenge the statements of someone who is usually more knowledgeable, believable, and of higher status than themselves, about an experience that many adults do not want to believe happens to children. The cumulative effect of such mistrust of children and the suspicion accompanying delay create a significant barrier to prosecution of historical child sexual offences."

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/DeakinLawRw/1997/1.pdf

So I thought but recently we sleuthed that she’d bought a little house closer to town.
Anyone else remember?
I missed that TGY , must have been in my hiatus, I have been trying to catch up frantically. ......I remembered the plans someone found, years ago, which had a granny part set out for her. I assume this was completed, but could be just a room for her to stay at in Sydney when visiting. I do remember the Fm at some point saying that after her father passed, she wanted her to move in with them.........I assumed. Which I shouldn't have.... never assume anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member