UK - 39 bodies found in lorry container, Essex, 23 Oct 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 November 2019

A Northern Irish man is facing multiple counts of manslaughter after UK authorities alleged he delivered a trailer, in which 39 migrants were found dead last week, to Zeebrugge port in Belgium before its onward journey to England.

Eamon Harrison (23), from Mayobridge, Co Down, appeared before Mr Justice Donald Binchy in the High Court on Friday.

Northern Irish man faces 41 charges over Essex lorry deaths

More:

The court heard that Mr Harrison was arrested in the holding cells of the Criminal Courts of Justice in Parkgate Street, Dublin 2, at 10.15am on Friday.

Sgt Jim Kirwan gave evidence of his arrest and told the court that there were 41 offences in the warrant for Mr Harrison. They were 39 manslaughter charges, conspiracy to commit a human trafficking and conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration.

More to follow...

Northern Irish man faces 41 charges over Essex lorry deaths

Update:

Friday 1 November 2019 12:05

Detectives have urged Ronan and Christopher Hughes to come forward and hand themselves in to police in Northern Ireland.

Ronan Hughes, 40 and his brother Christopher Hughes, 34 from Armagh, Northern Ireland, are wanted on suspicion of manslaughter and human trafficking in connection with the deaths of 39 people, whose bodies were found in a container in Grays last week.

Speaking in a press conference at Police Service of Northern Ireland Headquarters today in Belfast, Senior Investigating Officer Detective Chief Inspector Daniel Stoten said: "Today I want to make a direct appeal. Ronan and Christopher hand yourself in to police. We need you both to come forward and assist us with this investigation."

Detective Chief Inspector Stoten went on to thank the local community and members of the road haulage and shipping industries for the support they have offered so far: "I would like to thank all those from communities in Northern Ireland and Ireland, along with those in the road haulage and shipping industries, who have come forward to share information and knowledge with us. You help has been invaluable.

"We know that you are as appalled as the rest of the world following the deaths of 39 people, whose bodies were found in a container which travelled from Zeebrugge in Belgium to Grays in Essex last week.

"Finding Ronan and Christopher Hughes is crucial to our investigation and the sooner we can make this happen, the sooner we can get on with our enquires and bring those responsible for these tragic deaths to justice.

The pair are known to have links to Northern Ireland and Ireland, as well as the road haulage and shipping industries and detectives urge anyone who has been in contact with them or has any information about where they are to get in contact with us.

"You may think your information is insignificant but even the smallest detail could be vital.

"Again I would like to express my thanks to all those who have already come forward and provided us with information." said Detective Chief Inspector Stoten.

Anyone with information is asked to contact us on 101 or online to the UK Police Major Incident Public Reporting site

Information can also be given 100 per cent anonymously to independent charity Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111 or by visiting crimestoppers-uk.org

Yesterday, Thursday 31 October, Police Service of Northern Ireland colleagues acted upon information received and stopped a lorry believed to be connected to Ronan and Christopher Hughes. The vehicle was subsequently seized. No further arrests were made.

We would like to thank our colleagues in PSNI and An Garda Síochána, as well as communities on both sides of the border. We will continue to work with them until Ronan and Christopher Hughes come forward or are arrested.

Murder investigation launched after 39 people found dead in lorry container | Essex Police

RTE reporting that Eamon Harrison, 23, from Mayobridge, Co Down, appeared on a European Arrest Warrant before Mr Justice Donald Binchy in the High Court in Dublin this morning. The 41 potential charges include 39 of manslaughter.

Daniel Sandford on Twitter

He is the man suspected of being the lorry driver who delivered the refrigerated trailer to Zeebrugge port. Shortly after arrival in the UK 39 people inside the trailer were found dead

Daniel Sandford on Twitter

News agency Reuters reports police in Vietnam have arrested two people and summoned others for questioning on suspicion of involvement in the deaths of 39 people whose bodies were found in a trailer in Grays in Essex

Sky News Breaking on Twitter

A 23-year-old man has appeared in court in Dublin after being arrested on a European Arrest Warrant in connection with the deaths of 39 people whose bodies were found in a lorry trailer in Grays in Essex

Sky News Breaking on Twitter

They mention they have spoken to Ronan by phone and media seem to be jumping on this point.. but don’t you guys think they just mean they spoke to him the night MR was arrested? As previously reported?

This had me confused too, they should probably have been clearer about exactly when they spoke to him. At first I thought it was since they had been on the run but now I think maybe they just meant the time he called them just after the lorry had been discovered.

This had me confused too, they should probably have been clearer about exactly when they spoke to him. At first I thought it was since they had been on the run but now I think maybe they just meant the time he called them just after the lorry had been discovered.
I agree!

Wondering why it took them so long to issue the arrest warrant for these two when it was obvious they were involved on some level.

Agreed. It's frustrating that they have now been given an opportunity to go on the run. I have a feeling that it will only be a matter of time before they are caught but I don't feel this situation should have been allowed to happen.

Lawyers acting for the NI man alleged to have delivered the trailer in which 39 migrants were found dead last week has told the High Court that the warrant may give rise to a potential for Section 44 of the European Arrest Warrant Act “being played”.

Courts News Ireland on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member