GUILTY Ireland - Anastasia Kriegel, 14, Found deceased, Lucan, Co Dublin, 14 May 2018 *minors arrested*

So boy A is an indeterminate life sentence with a review after 12 years and boy B is 15 years with a review after 8. Is that right?

It's not too bad I guess, depends what happens at the reviews.

It's more than I was expecting for both boys,it could have been longer but at least it wasnt a token sentence.
It's a shame they still get the protection of anonymity even when they turn 18 though.

This morning at the Central Criminal Court Mr Justice Paul McDermott told both boys they will have to serve long periods of detention but will one day have the opportunity to return to their families and communities “when you are still relatively young men.”

“When that will be is not yet determined but much is based on you behaviour and attitude during your detention.”

Addressing Boy A, the judge said he took Ana’s life and subjected her to a terrifying assault. He told Boy B he “actively and knowingly” took part in her killing.

“You will have to carry the guilt and shame of your involvement for the rest of your lives.

“Her family will have to bear their grief for the rest of their lives. At least you will have the opportunity to reconstruct yours in a positive way.”

“Will you take it?”

“You have the opportunity for a future and second chance, something you so wrongfully and cruelly denied to Ana.

Ana Kriegel murder: Boy A sentenced to life, Boy B sentenced to 15 years

Boy a can stay in jail forever for all I care. No sympathy for him

I don’t agree with the conviction or sentence for boy b though, I hope he appeals.

Boy a can stay in jail forever for all I care. No sympathy for him

I don’t agree with the conviction or sentence for boy b though, I hope he appeals.
I agree with you about boy A. I disagree with you about boy B, he led her to her death, watched her cry, scream and beg for her life and did nothing. Watched boy a batter Ana with a concrete brick and stick then sexually assault her and just stood back and watched. Then went home as normal, watched Netflix and failed to tell anyone what happened, or even try and get her some help. She was left to rot for 3 days in that dirty old house and he knew all along where she was, he lied through his teeth to Gardaí multiple times And changed his story Only when they presented new evidence that contradicted what he’d said. He may not have physically harmed her but he 100% played a part in her murder and He fully deserves his 8 years.

Last edited:
I appreciate that for the age these boys are that these are significant sentences however I dont think they are anywhere near long enough.

Boy A could potentially be out in his late 20s. Boy B will certainly be.

Maybe I'm harsh but they knew what they were doing that day and they were not so young that they didnt know the consequence of their actions.

Makes me feel sick I have a daughter the same age as Anna and to think of her been lured to somewhere and sexually assaulted and murdered by two boys her age is the stuff of nightmares.

The heart breaking thing for me is how her mum knew something was wrong when her dad said a boy called for her, as her mum knew nobody ever called for her. So tragic.

Boy A, dressed in a blue button-up shirt and dark trousers, sat with his parents and grandfathers in the row immediately behind the barristers. In the row behind them sat Boy B with his mother, father and two other family members.

Boy B's father was not at the previous hearing and a barrister for the boy said there had been a falling out over the boy's "failure to deal with matters in the way he expected him to do on the day." Today, he sat to the left of his son with the boy's mother to the right.

Neither boy showed much reaction as Justice McDermott set out the reasons for the sentences. When Boy A's mother heard her son was to be sentenced to life she broke down in tears and Boy A spoke to her quietly. As Boy B was sentenced his father held his head in his hands before putting his arm around his son's shoulders.

so boy b and his dad must have made up ...

BOY A
Turning to the case of the boy named in the media as Boy A, he said he had come from a loving, caring and stable home. He had not come to the attention of gardai prior to Ana's murder. He has no history of mental illness. He pleaded not guilty at trial and maintained that he did not enter the house where Ana was murdered.

Following the guilty verdict he accepted, in interviews with mental health professionals, that he caused her death but said the killing was not intentional and he denied sexually assaulting Ana. He said he had claimed he didn't intend to kill her or to cause serious injury to her and that there had been a "consensual sexual encounter" between himself and Ana.

Justice McDermott said he is not satisfied that Boy A told the truth and a good degree of what he has said was "self serving" and some was contradicted by the evidence. He said Ana's bra and top were ripped off and the damaged material showed that he had used force.

His semen was found on her top and there was evidence of attempted penetration. She was found naked except for a pair of socks and Justice McDermott said there was evidence she had been choked and "dragged around the room" and beaten with a stick and a concrete block while unable to defend herself.

He said he is not satisfied that Boy A demonstrates remorse for the "wrong he has committed, the level of violence employed". He said the boy also doesn't appear to recognise the devastation, sorrow and loss to the Kriegel family and his own family. He added that it may be that the boy finds it difficult to accept what he has done and "how that is to be addressed is an important consideration when considering the length of his detention."

The judge found it difficult to identify mitigating factors for Boy A other than his young age. He had pleaded not guilty, putting the Kriegel family through the "heartache" of the trial in which they had to hear details of the sexual assault. He shows little remorse, Justice McDermott said, and probation services have said he shows limited understanding of what he has done. Boy A described what happened with Ana as a "fight" and said he didn't intend to kill her or cause her serious injury. Justice McDermott said: "This is difficult to reconcile with the awful violence he inflicted on her when she was unable to defend herself."

The evidence during the trial was that Ana was struck several times on the head with a weapon while she lay on the floor. She was then moved to another part of the room where her naked body was found having been sexually assaulted.

BOY B
In relation to Boy B, Justice McDermott said his family were hard-working, law-abiding people who emphasised the importance of education for their son.

The boy is clever and of above average academic ability. He said the boy did not accept the jury's verdict that he was guilty of murdering Ana and had said he did not bring Ana to the house knowing that she would be killed. While Boy B showed "a degree of empathy and understanding" he said it is not clear that he is able to fully process the implications of the offence.

When considering aggravating factors he said there was evidence that Boy A had told Boy B one month previously that he intended to kill Ana. At the house Boy B watched as Ana's clothing was removed and she was sexually assaulted. Justice McDermott also pointed to the negative view Boy B had of Ana, calling her a "weirdo" among other things during garda interviews.

Justice McDermott said a jury was satisfied that Boy B was involved in the planning of Ana's murder, which involved bringing her to an isolated location where her murder could be carried out. He said Boy B had tricked Ana into believing that Boy A was interested in her and he knew she trusted what he was saying. When she cried out at the house both boys knew she was unlikely to be rescued.

Justice McDermott added: "In the aftermath he did nothing but seek to protect himself. He did not mention her to anyone else and took no steps to help her." Justice McDermott said Boy B was "indifferent to her plight" and acted at all times to protect himself. He lied to gardai, his family, his schoolmates and his school counsellor.

He described the boy as "brazen" in interviews but naive to think his lies wouldn't be exposed.

Justice McDermott further noted that there was no evidence he knew Ana would be sexually assaulted and did not have any part in the attack on Ana.

He added: "I must proceed on the basis that he did not personally physically assault the deceased." He described Boy B's role as "important but lesser" but a jury was "satisfied that he knew what he was doing and what would happen".

I agree with you about boy A. I disagree with you about boy B, he led her to her death, watched her cry, scream and beg for her life and did nothing. Watched boy a batter Ana with a concrete brick and stick then sexually assault her and just stood back and watched. Then went home as normal, watched Netflix and failed to tell anyone what happened, or even try and get her some help. She was left to rot for 3 days in that dirty old house and he knew all along where she was, he lied through his teeth to Gardaí multiple times And changed his story Only when they presented new evidence that contradicted what he’d said. He may not have physically harmed her but he 100% played a part in her murder and He fully deserves his 8 years.

Fully agree. In fact, I think he has got off incredibly lightly and he should have the decency to quietly get his head down and accept the sentence and his role in Ana's death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back