OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #51

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that there is no way to relate the casing and a silencer. I must have missed the mention of casings left behind, where did this come from?

It comes from these articles posted by ColMustard Well-Known Member:

Here's some confirmation in this news article.
Pike County murder investigation continues; fundraisers for victims begin

"That confirms what the father of victim Gary Rhoden, told 10TV late last week. Kenneth Rhoden said the coroner told him two different bullet casings were found at the scene."

Father of Pike Co. murder victims says killer should be tortured

"Kenneth said according to the coroner there were two different bullet casings found at the scene, leading him to believe this crimes were the acts of more than one person."

Post snipped by me because I'm posting about the Rita/Angie phone calls - just the little information we know about them from a Court Hearing in regards to the Motion to Revoke Rita's Bail.

November 20 - January 20 the phone calls between Rita and Angela are all about how they can't talk to each other.

First call November 20:

Miranda (sp?) Chris Newcome's girlfriend,
answers Angela's phone call and tells her, yes, Rita is home. Angela says she " wants to talk to Rita and tell her hi real quick" but Miranda says that "Rita is not allowed to talk to her."

Miranda then hands the phone over to Granny Beesler (Rita's mom) Rita shouts in the background "we are trying to get her to talk!" Angela says " absolutely not! Do not talk to Granny Beesler! "
(I have no idea why she said this, must be in regards to something that happened previously? Or Angela is mad that Miranda won't put Rita on the phone?)

November 28:

Rita hands phone off to Granny and Granny asks Angela if she wants to talk to Rita, Angela says "no I'm not allowed, we can't talk about the case. "

December 8:

Chris puts on the speaker phone and allows Angela and Jake to have a conversation.

December 28:

Angela says "the only people I'm not allowed to talk to is Billy, George, Jake, Rita and Freddie."

January 10:

Rita gets back from her pre-trial and Angie calls and Rita tells her that "in Court today she was told she couldn't talk to anybody"

January 18:

Granny and Angela are on the phone together and Granny tells Angela that Rita wants to get on the phone with her and tell her she loves her. Angela says "she's not allowed to do that."
Angela then asks granny how "Billy is doing" and says "she knows she can't pass messages to him and Jake and George but they can't begrudge her wanting to know how everyone's doing."
Angela tells Granny that Rita "sent her a letter" and that "she knows they aren't allowed to write each other or talk about the case. "

January 19:

Angela says "she received a written Court Summary telling her she's not allowed to talk to them. "

June - July
There are 11 phone calls where they start talking more:

Angie and Rita use/take advantage of Granny by putting her in the middle, now every time Angela calls she asks Granny to put Rita on the phone or Rita tells Granny to give her the phone.

June or July
Rita says "I know I'm not suppose to talk about this on here but," she then asks " where are the Custody Documents located? " Angela answers Rita that "there is a plastic tub with the words important stuff written on it and inside are the Custody Documents. "

Angela talks about the "date at the bottom of the document--April 2016--that this is when the documents were printed out" and she says she "copied it over and there are things her attorney is looking for." Rita tells her attorney about the tub of Custody Documents and her attorney wants them and files a Discovery Motion and brings up this subject in Court.

June or July:
Rita and Angela discuss the Case and Angela gives Rita certain "buzz words to use if Rita takes the stand to testify."Angela says "she thinks that will work to explain the Custody Documents."
Rita says she "hopes she doesn't go to jail, that she needs to get off the phone, she doesn't want to get into trouble for talking."

June or July:
Angela says "let me tell you what my attorney said, I'm probably not suppose to say this on here but here's what he said to me." Angela goes on to tell Rita the "theories her attorney has for the case that she can use in her trial. "

June or July:
Angie discusses "case strategy, what to say in court and what not to say." And she discusses with Rita "whether or not they should testify at their trials. "

Here are some of the dates of phone calls listed in Rita's Discovery:

June 11, 14, 17, 22, 27
July 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 13, 21
OHMYGOSH! Thank you CoolCats! I missed these altogether. Unbelievable AW is and her brother putting JW and AW in touch on speaker phone. It really is something that the judge didn't revoke RN's bail.

OHMYGOSH! Thank you CoolCats! I missed these altogether. Unbelievable AW is and her brother putting JW and AW in touch on speaker phone. It really is something that the judge didn't revoke RN's bail.
No prob. With Rita's trial next week I thought this could be helpful in providing a little background context.

I have faith in the prosecution also. I'm just wondering, as it's getting closer, if it will even go to trial, if a deal will be offered or will RN just plea guilty.

With the jury being chosen and with the Jury Verdict forms and Jury Instruction forms being filed, I am sure this is going to trial. After Friday it will be too late to cop a plea. The next business day after Friday is Monday, the first day of her trial.
Once trial starts it's usually too late to plea. Probably too late now.

"In felony cases, the original plea offer is typically off the table once the preliminary hearing occurs. The plea offer is even more likely to be off the table once it’s set for trial and the trial starts. .."

Is The Plea Deal Off The Table If The Case Goes To Trial?

RITA NEWCOMB

11/12/2019 JOURNAL ENTRY -- COURTROOM DECORUM ORDER

11/13/2019 DEFENDANT'S PROPOSED JURY VERDICT FORMS FILED COPIES FILED RETD TO COUNSEL

11/13/2019 DEFENDANT'S PROPOSED JURY INSTRUCTIONS FILED COPIES FILED RETD TO COUNSEL

Last edited:
I don't see a plea deal in Rita Newcomb's case being offered, but that's JMO. However, stranger things have happened the day of trial. Hopefully there won't be a meeting in chambers aforehand.

"In most states, a defendant can arrange a plea bargain with a prosecutor at any time during the course of a criminal case. It can be arranged before the prosecutor files charges, or it can be arranged after the jury has started deliberating on its verdict in a case. A prosecutor even may be willing to negotiate a plea bargain after a conviction if the defendant appeals the conviction, and their argument appears to have merit."

Plea Bargains in Criminal Cases | Justia

I don't see a plea deal in Rita Newcomb's case being offered, but that's JMO. However, stranger things have happened the day of trial. Hopefully there won't be a meeting in chambers aforehand.

"In most states, a defendant can arrange a plea bargain with a prosecutor at any time during the course of a criminal case. It can be arranged before the prosecutor files charges, or it can be arranged after the jury has started deliberating on its verdict in a case. A prosecutor even may be willing to negotiate a plea bargain after a conviction if the defendant appeals the conviction, and their argument appears to have merit."

Speaking of...meetings in chambers...will these stop when the trial begins? I sure hope so. It seems unfair. JMO. Sure wish I could be there.

I have recently read through all RN's Discovery documents posted in the Media & Timeline (see page 1 of this thread). P. 16 there. Some were added just recently, thanks OhioBlues. Also listened again to RN's hearing parts 1 and 2 BettyP posted. These are awesome if you need a refresher of what happened last. The phone calls are described in detail by A. Canepa. I plan to read all articles and the docket entries carefully and listen again to all her hearings, before Monday. One thing that frustrates me is the Media there. Once again, nothing mentioned in the local news about this trial coming up in two business days! JMO

Last edited:
Speaking of...meetings in chambers...will these stop when the trial begins? I sure hope so. It seems unfair. JMO. Sure wish I could be there.

IMO they will stop, UNLESS there would be something come up that cannot be handled with the typical sidebar ie: lengthy discussion, etc. I wish you could be there also, but the murder trials will be much more interesting.

One other comment and I will hush. I believe Judge Deering made two bad decisions that will influence this case in a negative way: (1) He did not support the Prosecution in revoking RN's bond, even after he HEARD the phone calls, and (2) he allowed Ms. Parmeter to be grilled by Gerlach way too long! Also, IMO, AC needs to anticipate Gerlach's conniving ways and say, "Objection!" to the question before the witness answers! All JMO

IMO they will stop, UNLESS there would be something come up that cannot be handled with the typical sidebar ie: lengthy discussion, etc. I wish you could be there also, but the murder trials will be much more interesting.

I agree. Unfortunately, I doubtfully will make it to any. But I do hope to visit there one day, even if it will probably be kinda like the scene of the old lady in "The Titanic." I may not be able to remember my own name by then, but I will remember what happened in Pike County, Ohio on or about April 22, 2016. RIP Rhodens and Gilley. I pray for Justice.

One other comment and I will hush. I believe Judge Deering made two bad decisions that will influence this case in a negative way: (1) He did not support the Prosecution in revoking RN's bond, even after he HEARD the phone calls, and (2) he allowed Ms. Parmeter to be grilled by Gerlach way too long! Also, IMO, AC needs to anticipate Gerlach's conniving ways and say, "Objection!" to the question before the witness answers! All JMO
You don't need to "hush" pal, you help keep this train going.
If there were only a few posters on this thread it would, to be honest, be depressing.
I'm glad for everyone here that feels like I do. Lot's of people don't understand about caring so much when a person didn't know the victims.
Many of us almost feel like we know the families. Hard to describe. Guess I don't have to.

Last edited:
With the jury being chosen and with the Jury Verdict forms and Jury Instruction forms being filed, I am sure this is going to trial. After Friday it will be too late to cop a plea. The next business day after Friday is Monday, the first day of her trial.
Once trial starts it's usually too late to plea. Probably too late now.

"In felony cases, the original plea offer is typically off the table once the preliminary hearing occurs. The plea offer is even more likely to be off the table once it’s set for trial and the trial starts. .."

Is The Plea Deal Off The Table If The Case Goes To Trial?

RITA NEWCOMB

11/12/2019 JOURNAL ENTRY -- COURTROOM DECORUM ORDER

11/13/2019 DEFENDANT'S PROPOSED JURY VERDICT FORMS FILED COPIES FILED RETD TO COUNSEL

11/13/2019 DEFENDANT'S PROPOSED JURY INSTRUCTIONS FILED COPIES FILED RETD TO COUNSEL

I don't think there was ever a plea deal offered. Not in this case, nor in FW's case, and certainly not to be offered in any of the 4 death penalty cases. I just believe, based on what LITTLE we've seen so far, there is overwhelming evidence to prove way beyond a reasonable doubt that these 4 committed the murders. Looking forward to the trials, but they cannot come soon enough IMO.

I don't think there was ever a plea deal offered. Not in this case, nor in FW's case, and certainly not to be offered in any of the 4 death penalty cases. I just believe, based on what LITTLE we've seen so far, there is overwhelming evidence to prove way beyond a reasonable doubt that these 4 committed the murders. Looking forward to the trials, but they cannot come soon enough IMO.
Yes!

You don't need to "hush" pal, you help keep this train going.
If there were only a few posters on this thread it would, to be honest, be depressing.
I'm glad for everyone here that feels like I do. Lot's of people don't understand about caring so much when a person didn't know the victims.
Many of us almost feel like we know the families. Hard to describe. Guess I don't have to.

No, you don't have to explain to me.

I feel like I knew them. I guess the videos of the 6 hearses in a line did it for me...I don't think I could have survived seeing that. And mothers shot to death in bed with their babies. And a 3 yr old waking up to his daddy that way. I could go on forever. But I wont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa