Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I agree with what was said about the basic hiking clothing thing. (bummer) The problem I run into with distributing pics up in Bear Mountain and even NY, is he did tell someone early on in the hike, that he has lost *significant weight before his hike. So what pics are available and there are a lot, can be *drastically different* than what people would/could recognize...
Has that ever been confirmed? I haven't seen any firsthand "He told me" accounts, just rumors based on people speculating he was terminally ill.

If the Duncannon spaghetti dinner photo is indeed him, he was not that heavy in the beginning of his journey. I think it's worth a shot either way!

For some reason I don’t get the feeling he actually worked in game development /or strictly programming. Most that I know would say they are a computer programmer. To ME someone saying they are in the IT or Tech field could mean hardware, software, support staff, Best Buy Geek staff, etc.

For some reason I don’t get the feeling he actually worked in game development /or strictly programming. Most that I know would say they are a computer programmer. To ME someone saying they are in the IT or Tech field could mean hardware, software, support staff, Best Buy Geek staff, etc.
I think he did tell people he was a Programmer. From the source below:

People wrote in addition to having been told he was born in Baton Rouge he also told stories about him most recently living in the New York area where he was a programmer before he decided to start hiking.

Unidentified, decomposed body found in Florida woods; Some think he's a Baton Rouge native
Unidentified, decomposed body found in Florida woods; Some think he's a Baton Rouge native

Are there any Brooklyn based Facebook/reddit groups for people in IT? Might be worth a shot to post in those groups, if any exist. Although the two UID cases I followed (Lori ruff and Lyle stevik) were full of red herrings and off base speculations, so the Brooklyn IT thing could be a red herring. I do feel like this could be solved in a way similar to grateful doe (via social media).

Post #952 (first thread) references info in Collier Co podcast. That post also contains a link to the podcast.

A snip of the post...

"He has notebooks filled with coding and ideas for video games he was writing. and he had a large amount of cash. But where was his pack?"

Post #952 (first thread) references info in Collier Co podcast. That post also contains a link to the podcast.

A snip of the post...

"He has notebooks filled with coding and ideas for video games he was writing. and he had a large amount of cash. But where was his pack?"

I’m unclear if YOU are asking where his backpack is?? If so It WAS found is his tent . One of the detectives confirmed that for me.

Ok....nothing wrong with feeling like this, for yourself.....you are entitled to...this is always a big dilemma. Wouldn't you want your loved ones to know, even if you lost track a long way ago? I sure hope he was happy doing what he did when he died, no remorse..being one with nature....Are you saying we should let go?

The truth is that some people don't have loved ones, or have cut all ties and don't think anyone from their past deserves to know what became of them. Or IF they feel they have fallen into trouble, they feel that cutting ties and turning their back on their identity is the best way to keep their loved ones safe. Both scenarios fly in the face of the conventions of society, and probate, and in a small way history. They're also probably outside the scope of this website, especially when a death is not the result of a crime, and the deceased is not known to be a victim. But if the question is whose wishes do we respect – the deceased individual's desire for anonymity and self-erasure, or society's desire to account for him and record his existence and passing for posterity, and possibly to return him to people who might be grieving for him or might not – I don't know that there's one satisfactory answer.

I do know that we're fascinated by mysteries, whether the innocent (?) principal party in a given mystery wants anyone to be fascinated or not. We can't know what MH would have wanted, because he left no clues that we've been able to uncover. We don't know if he was purposefully covering his tracks, or if trail anonymity simply suited his journey, and he never intended it to become permanent. Looking for answers thus becomes a conscience call for each person who is following his case.

In other words, IMO it's clear as mud.

I just sent an email to Brooklyn Paper asking if they can help spread his poster. I’ll update if I hear anything back from them.
That’s a great idea! I hope something comes from it!

I don’t know if I’m grasping at straws here, but has anyone thought about posting His picture or checking (old yearbooks etc) at Baton Rouge State University's? I use the plural as a quick search reveals there’s more than one, unfortunately. It strikes me as possible that he *might*have attended University there...if he stuck around in BR long enough. It would’ve been cheaper than out of state by quite a bit if he attended in the 90s or 80s.

The truth is that some people don't have loved ones, or have cut all ties and don't think anyone from their past deserves to know what became of them. Or IF they feel they have fallen into trouble, they feel that cutting ties and turning their back on their identity is the best way to keep their loved ones safe. Both scenarios fly in the face of the conventions of society, and probate, and in a small way history. They're also probably outside the scope of this website, especially when a death is not the result of a crime, and the deceased is not known to be a victim. But if the question is whose wishes do we respect – the deceased individual's desire for anonymity and self-erasure, or society's desire to account for him and record his existence and passing for posterity, and possibly to return him to people who might be grieving for him or might not – I don't know that there's one satisfactory answer.

I do know that we're fascinated by mysteries, whether the innocent (?) principal party in a given mystery wants anyone to be fascinated or not. We can't know what MH would have wanted, because he left no clues that we've been able to uncover. We don't know if he was purposefully covering his tracks, or if trail anonymity simply suited his journey, and he never intended it to become permanent. Looking for answers thus becomes a conscience call for each person who is following his case.

In other words, IMO it's clear as mud.

LOVE this post!

I think he did tell people he was a Programmer. From the source below:

People wrote in addition to having been told he was born in Baton Rouge he also told stories about him most recently living in the New York area where he was a programmer before he decided to start hiking.

Mostly Harmless is programmer jargon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members