GUILTY AZ - Willa 6, Colby 5 & Austin Rawlings 5, found dead, flooded creek, parents charged, Nov 29 2019

I live here, right in the midst of this and was waiting for some of this to come out. They are LDS and white so they are getting a lot of press. I hope that once Willa is found, this takes a different direction and dad is prosecuted. Willa no longer suffers, if there is ANY consolation in this. She has no pain, she is not struggling to breathe, her battered body does not hurt her. That's all I can say. Sad for Willa and ALL of the other kids affected by this.

ETA: There is plenty of money in the LDS community here and beyond. This family will be just fine as far as that goes. Imagine how much that vehicle they were in must have cost.

I live here, right in the midst of this and was waiting for some of this to come out. They are LDS and white so they are getting a lot of press. I hope that once Willa is found, this takes a different direction and dad is prosecuted. Willa no longer suffers, if there is ANY consolation in this. She has no pain, she is not struggling to breathe, her battered body does not hurt her. That's all I can say. Sad for Willa and ALL of the other kids affected by this.

ETA: There is plenty of money in the LDS community here and beyond. This family will be just fine as far as that goes. Imagine how much that vehicle they were in must have cost.
What are people saying about this who live outside the LDS community?

Do people traverse willy nilly through that creek as if it were a thoroughfare? Or is it sometimes dry? (Not that that would excuse what Daniel did at all, just very curious.)

(If you know. Thanks for a local perspective.) Yes, that behemoth vehicle was expensive.

Prior to fatal Arizona flood, residents near Tonto Creek begged for a bridge

It had been raining VERY VERY hard - rain that we haven't seen in a long time. Where they were swept away is a creek crossing but the rain had made the creek rise a lot - VISIBLY RISE. Folks have died in that same spot before. They could have gone to a safer spot to cross but it would have taken time to get there. The article tells more.

Prior to fatal Arizona flood, residents near Tonto Creek begged for a bridge

It had been raining VERY VERY hard - rain that we haven't seen in a long time. Where they were swept away is a creek crossing but the rain had made the creek rise a lot - VISIBLY RISE. Folks have died in that same spot before. They could have gone to a safer spot to cross but it would have taken time to get there. The article tells more.
Very interesting article, I read it a couple of times. I wouldn’t want to live there.

Driving through a dangerous creek where you know people have died and almost died, for a non-emergency, with all those kids...makes it seem much worse. I read an article that said on that day three tornadoes were spotted in the area. I’ll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
I have heard about this on the news but am just reading this thread, and now my blood is boiling. :mad: Why do they need money for dead children? Do they not have money for a funeral? Caskets? Why do they need money???

I live in South Texas where we have more than our fair share of “flash floods.” Dry creeks turn into deadly, raging rivers in an instant, but guess what? If it’s not pitch dark you can SEE the water. Turn around, don’t drown—it’s drilled into our heads. And you’d have to be a special type of moron to drive around BARRICADES telling you to..... “turn around, don’t drown!” These people lived there and knew that. And they had 7 freaking children with them.

What is that truck anyway? That is not a normal family vehicle. Did he rent it? Sounds like a fun, family thrill-seeking adventure they were taking these kiddos on? Well great idea.

Sorry, I’m just mad. Obviously they didn’t do this purposely and will have to deal with their consequences. But why the money grab? So sad and avoidable.

That baby, Willa, is standing precariously close to the edge of a cliff in the pic in the 1st post IMO. Pics can be deceiving, but looks a little risky to me.

Father could face charges for Tonto Basin tragedy

The Gila County Sheriff’s Office says it is investigating what happened Nov. 29 that resulted in the deaths of three children.

We began an investigation into the events leading up to this tragedy shortly after the initial response and have been working on it since, separately from the search and rescue efforts,” said Gila County Sheriff Adam Shepherd.

The sheriff’s office will submit their findings to the Gila County Attorney’s Office, which will decide what, if any, charges are filed.

“We have had initial contact with the county attorney, but most likely it will be some time before they are ready to make a decision,” Shepherd said.

Undersheriff Mike Johnson said county employees had put barricades up at the crossing the morning of Nov. 29. He said there are also permanent signs posted that warn motorists not to enter the creek when it is flooded.

He said they don’t have the manpower to have a deputy stationed around the clock at the crossings to cite residents for crossing the creek when it is flooded.

BBM Someone actually suggested an officer stand guard 24/7...LE must be sick and tired of shouldering the blame for negligent fools who can’t follow simple safety laws.

This is no different than baby Chloe, in fact it is much worse IMO.

Father could face charges for Tonto Basin tragedy

And the monies the parents are receiving, almost $50,000 so far. It doesn’t say anything about helping aid the search, it’s specifically for the family. (Who knows, they may be donating some of the money to the volunteers and the cost of the search, but I think we would have heard about it.)

The total of both of the give me money funds are now over $102,000. I guess that's enough to cover legal fees for the father? ( insert sarcasm)

ETA names of the funds are at "GimmeMoney" for children lost in Tonto Basin flooding surpasses goal

Very interesting article, I read it a couple of times. I wouldn’t want to live there.

Driving through a dangerous creek where you know people have died and almost died, for a non-emergency, with all those kids...makes it seem much worse. I read an article that said on that day three tornadoes were spotted in the area. I’ll see if I can find it.
I can’t imagine living somewhere where my children are at risk just trying to get to school, knowing this is a regular occurrence with a heavy rain or during a certain month(s) of every year.
Or that medical response would not be able to reach me either.
What was so important that they needed to cross that area? If an emergency - why take all those children?

I'm sorry but this begging for money for EVERYTHING these days is SO out of hand. Seeing people get such amounts for all these 'accidents' just makes those that are nefarious do it intentionally to reap the rewards.
I agree! If a family can not afford to bring a loved one’s body home for burial or can’t afford a casket, burial etc., then YES I would gladly donate money. But I don’t get it in a case like this. Why? It makes no sense and is at the very least tacky and in poor taste. Even if a friend or family member set it up for them, they shouldn’t have. If my kids were dead/missing in the river, the last thing in the world I would be thinking about is $$$.

I bet this is a case where people are always driving through that low water crossing, even when there’s some water in it and it’s almost always fine. I’m sure the dad thought his vehicle could make it and that it would be fine again. And for that, I feel sad for them. No one wanted what happened to happen. :( But the trying to blame others for failing to follow the rules and heed warnings is what gets me. And the asking for money thing. I think he should be charged, and I hope it keeps others from making the same mistake. Poor babies.

So these parents choose to not follow the rules, and because of their choice three children die. The Dad says there needs to be more done. And so the Mayor is going to build a bridge. I wonder if the bridge will be named after the father.

I'm pretty sure this was sarcasm (lol), but they should name it after the kids, I think.

Great idea, Scooter! More signs! Bigger signs! Maybe a dome that drops around the creek when someone tries to drive across it. Also the Rawlings are a local family that you say should know when the water is too deep to cross.

lol... besides, shouldn't the LDS be law-abiding rule-followers by nature?

This town meeting is just wasting people's time. As others have said, this is about people thinking they are special and rules not applying to them. More and bigger signs won't solve anything. Likewise, it's so clear that the father knew you shouldn't, although "everyone does".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back