CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Miller was exactly where he said he would be and yet for 1 1/2 years he was missed in every search.

This could be the case with Barbara. Or, she never was where it was said she was. Changing seasons and different hikers can make all the difference on if she is found. JMO

Paul Miller was exactly where he said he would be and yet for 1 1/2 years he was missed in every search.

This could be the case with Barbara. Or, she never was where it was said she was. Changing seasons and different hikers can make all the difference on if she is found. JMO

I've heard Paul's remains were discovered. Did the searchers literally miss him, as in they were within 100 feet of the area his body was found in? If that's the case, I guess the same could happen with Barbara. I didn't seriously consider this previously, and I'm still not convinced she didn't meet with foul play.

I'm very disappointed in SBCSO, they have done nothing to keep Barbara's name out there :(

I really wish the media would help the family publicize Barb's disappearance, someone with the right resources may be willing to begin another search to help them out.

I do feel that B.T. will be found unexpectedly (out of the search area) and I encourage the family to attempt another search using drones (if possible)...as we have seen it work successfully. Utilizing any available resource at all would be a step in the right direction. This magnetic lady needs to be found!

They should check out the FB group Wings of Mercy. They are volunteers who take photos with drones and helped find Paul.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/192587941440937/about/

Think about the odds though. For that to have happened, she'd have had to: i)see something to spark her interest enough to prompt her to go in going a different direction; ii)make a decision not to tell her husband whom she was with, about her change in plan, even though she was experienced in the desert and would've realized she was not appropriately dressed or outfitted for mid-day conditions which she would know would pose an imminent risk to her safety; iii)fallen or somehow become incapacitated without making a noise; iv)become incapacitated in such a remote location that it was not obvious to her husband who was just behind her, where that occurred; v)be so hidden that K9s, drones, planes, searchers, husband, police, random interested people were not able to locate her within the timeframe in which she could possibly have stayed alive; vi)become incapacitated/deceased in such a remote location that her remains have failed to show up in the time since then via a random person just running across them, even though it's been.. almost half a year now.

For people who think on the basis of percentages of likelihoods, all of those things happening simultaneously would be highly unlikely, even though perhaps altogether possible. Nobody can really say if alien abduction could have been a factor either, since alien abductions can't really be proven not to exist, but the chances are infinitesimally small, nonetheless. imo.

Yes, that's all true - and unfortunately, every element of that is possible (and if we knew the truth, I'm guessing we'd find at least some of those mistakes were made by Paul, as well).

The number of times I've seen people separate on trails is too large to mention and happens for all kinds of reasons. Barbara did think she was near her RV and safety, though.

The search area, as I understand it, simply wasn't that big (no more than about a mile in each direction from her disappearance point - but that's 4 square miles, bigger than most searches). We've seen little kids go much further than anyone expected. There are very few people out that way, especially off trail. Maybe in Spring, when the flowers bloom again...

I would reorder the things a bit. Feeling perhaps a bit overheated or even dizzy or slightly "fuzzy headed," Barbara (already an impaired decision maker) heads off by herself, in a direction she is sure she understands. She did tell her husband where she was going initially - but either she never got there or she got there and decided to go onward (perhaps unable to find the key to the RV). Hyperthermia is not easily detected by the victim. A bit of confusion can be followed by either anxiety or by euphoria.

So, i and ii on your list aren't necessary (and ii was accomplished). To go back to where she split from her husband in order to tell him she had decided to walk a bit further...well, no one does that, do they?

At any rate, once a person without a phone or beacon separates from their companions, we can only guess at how they get lost/off trail.

I've heard Paul's remains were discovered. Did the searchers literally miss him, as in they were within 100 feet of the area his body was found in? If that's the case, I guess the same could happen with Barbara. I didn't seriously consider this previously, and I'm still not convinced she didn't meet with foul play.

I'm very disappointed in SBCSO, they have done nothing to keep Barbara's name out there :(
BBM

I’m bringing part of this comment over from Paul’s thread. Yes they were very close. It happens.

“The discovery was made in a remote, rocky and steep location away from any trails. Robinson [Paul’s sister] says an agency has helped the family search for Miller using a drone and has taken hundreds of photographs.

Robinson says the family had passed within 20 metres [about 65 feet] of the spot where the remains were later discovered on one of their multiple ground searches.”

CA - CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian, Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #3

BBM

I’m bringing part of this comment over from Paul’s thread. Yes they were very close. It happens.

“The discovery was made in a remote, rocky and steep location away from any trails. Robinson [Paul’s sister] says an agency has helped the family search for Miller using a drone and has taken hundreds of photographs.

Robinson says the family had passed within 20 metres [about 65 feet] of the spot where the remains were later discovered on one of their multiple ground searches.”

CA - CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian, Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #3
Thanks Lilibet. This is what I have been reinforcing over and over. Just like Paul, *she is out there* waiting to be found. You can literally step over remains and not see them outdoors. Mother Nature embraces the deceased and the result is camouflage.

If Barb is to be found, the same drone team that worked on Paul's disappearance should be deployed. I'm sure they can leverage lots of good learnings from Paul's discovery.

Amateur opinion and speculation

BBM

And all this is why I’ve had to rethink Barbara’s case a bit. I’ve been in the “she was never in that area” camp for a long time. Or that something happened to her by someone she knew and not strangers.

However, if she had seen say an animal that she might have been interested in, that was running away from her, I can easily see her heading in a completely different direction than their RV. If she had to do any climbing to see that animal, she could have fallen and gotten hurt. She may even have crawled to a shady area as the day wore on because it kept getting hotter. Lack of water could have caused delirium or disorientation. Being weak her voice could have gotten faint. So if searchers or RT were within earshot of her, they could have missed her.

At least now I’m open to that possibility. I’m not married to the idea but I am going steady with it. Lol. I just seriously showed my age.

Since LE don’t seem to be looking at RT, we have to figure out what else could have happened to BT.

Thank You Tricia :)

You are more than welcome everyone.

We really do not like closing threads but sometimes we have no choice.

Ok, I have a favor. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Robert Thomas, Barbara's husband?

Is there a snail mail address, a lawyer, anything? Maybe you actually know him. If so if anyone has anyway for me to contact him please email me at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

I would like to offer him a spot on my podcast. Uninterrupted for as long as he wants to talk. Mr. Thomas will be able to put any rumors to rest in his own words.

As any interview subject that has come on my show will tell you I am not out to make anyone look bad. The interviewee is allowed to get his/her story out. Everyone should be given a chance to tell their side.

So much has been speculated I would like to offer Mr. Thomas something that no other outlet can and that is the freedom to say what he wants unedited. Of course, I would ask him questions but again only what he wanted to answer.

It is a long shot but I know if I don't try we will never have Mr. Thomas as a guest on Websleuths Radio Podcast right?

Great idea, Tricia. Have you tried contacting Barbara’s nephew @dbdb11 for this contact info? You probably have access to his email address. I’ve emailed you the contact info I found for Bob. I think his lawyer’s name was mentioned on an earlier thread. I expect he’s told him to be quiet, but you never know!

Ok, I have a favor. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Robert Thomas, Barbara's husband?

Is there a snail mail address, a lawyer, anything? Maybe you actually know him. If so if anyone has anyway for me to contact him please email me at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

I would like to offer him a spot on my podcast. Uninterrupted for as long as he wants to talk. Mr. Thomas will be able to put any rumors to rest in his own words.

As any interview subject that has come on my show will tell you I am not out to make anyone look bad. The interviewee is allowed to get his/her story out. Everyone should be given a chance to tell their side.

So much has been speculated I would like to offer Mr. Thomas something that no other outlet can and that is the freedom to say what he wants unedited. Of course, I would ask him questions but again only what he wanted to answer.

It is a long shot but I know if I don't try we will never have Mr. Thomas as a guest on Websleuths Radio Podcast right?

Last edited:

I’m with you. I hadn’t previously considered it and I’m also still not convinced she didn’t meet with foul play. As I’ve said, I’m not entirely convinced she was ever there to begin with. IMO

Write him a letter to their home.

Barbara could still be right there and I and others missed her.. It has happened many times in many other cases of missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard