CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbara could still be right there and I and others missed her.. It has happened many times in many other cases of missing.
Given the terrain in which BT went missing, I find that possibility unlikely, but not impossible. The remains assumed to be those of Paul Miller were found in a "remote, rocky and steep location away from any trails" as noted in post #451 above. Barbara was allegedly on a clear trail in a relatively flat area 1/4 mile from the clearly visible road on which their truck and fifth wheel were parked. It's an apples to oranges comparison, IMHO.

Given the terrain in which BT went missing, I find that possibility unlikely, but not impossible. The remains assumed to be those of Paul Miller were found in a "remote, rocky and steep location away from any trails" as noted in post #451 above. Barbara was allegedly on a clear trail in a relatively flat area 1/4 mile from the clearly visible road on which their truck and fifth wheel were parked. It's an apples to oranges comparison, IMHO.
Perhaps Kapua, but not necessarily. For all we know Barb meandered off the beaten path, similar to Paul Miller. This is logical to me, however time will tell. Unfortunately, like Paul, it's taken more time than we anticipated.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I was alone.. One man searching..
For all the area I did walk over 2 days, she is not where I was. I am positive of that. My visual was good and I searched every crevasse I could find and flat land too. But it is a "Big Area" and if she walked beyond my search area then there she is. Waiting to be found.

I’m with you. I hadn’t previously considered it and I’m also still not convinced she didn’t meet with foul play. As I’ve said, I’m not entirely convinced she was ever there to begin with. IMO
Ita.
There's no proof that she was ever there to begin with, outside of what her nephew was told by relatives.
There's always the chance she is out there, just not by Kelbaker Rd.
Hoping for good news from upcoming drone searches.

Ita.
Not only was Barbara on a clear trail, it was bordered closely by thick Cholla cactus growth.
Even if she felt dizzy-- the pain of those cacti would've kept her from wandering very far.
Per the photos by sroad and others; which has been so helpful in understanding what a clearly marked path Barbara was on.
And we still don't know if she was actually drinking beer or even if she had a beer container in her hand.
There's never been any proof that she was drinking.
Possibly a drone search could help if any clues can be found that lead to where Barbara actually IS.
Keeping up hope for her nephew, son, and siblings.
They loved her so much !

I was alone.. One man searching..
For all the area I did walk over 2 days, she is not where I was. I am positive of that. My visual was good and I searched every crevasse I could find and flat land too. But it is a "Big Area" and if she walked beyond my search area then there she is. Waiting to be found.
Thank you so much for caring about Barbara !
And for making the efforts that you're doing.

Last edited:
Considering the disparaging remarks made about RT on this thread, I would be surprised if he responded.

amateur opinion and speculation
If RT feels that way it's sad -- as posters here at WS have been more than generous in their assessment of his actions and his account about that day.
We have been nothing but kind and will continue to do so.
If we could talk to him, we'd say "Help us to help you."

Sympathy has been extended to him from us time and again; and maybe he'll take up the offer to come on the podcast and state his opinion ?
As well the letter suggestion by the other poster would be a step in the right direction.
Or even a phone call.
He is innocent unless proven otherwise and maybe RT has been wanting to get Barbara's story out and no one will even listen ?
That's sad.

Sometimes a person will go missing and despite the frantic efforts of their loved ones it goes unsolved and little to no media attention.
We could make a difference.

And yet, just half a mile north from where Barbara went missing, is some very rugged terrain, similar to that you can see being searched by West Valley SAR (on the media thread). And just beyond where the RV was parked is a large stretch of eroded desert, which was not thoroughly searched, AFAIK. It's just too big a space to do a grid search without way more resources put into it (the drone idea is the best one, just as with Paul).

Paul was on a trail, and then he was not and now he's gone. Barbara was on a trail, then she was not, and she's gone too. I know the possibilities are really limited (she is just outside the search area...but why? she is someplace completely different, how'd she get there?)

People go off trails all the time. Barbara was wanting shade and relief from the sun, IMO. So often, hikers don't want to disturb their companion's enjoyment of the hike, and end up separating for what they think will be a brief period of time, and then one is missing. A woman went missing on Mt Whitney within 100 yards of her husband (she was starting to hurry, she was far more fatigued than she realized - she took the wrong turn at the only fork on the trail, and that fork was hidden from her husband's view by a boulder). She was lost for a couple of days, was found miles and miles from where she should have been...her husband had been the route finder on the way up, which probably diminished her ability to remember which trail to take; always a good idea for people to pause at each fork and discuss...

Anyway, my base theory is that Barbara tried to go back to the RV. She either made it there and went beyond into the area not so thoroughly searched OR she took a wrong fork at the one intersection near where RT last saw her. It seems inconceivable that she'd walk more than 10 minutes in the wrong direction but stranger things have happened. If she did walk south instead of east, she might have then decided to shortcut back to the road and ended up in an entirely different area than where she intended.

We just don't know how close she was to being incapacitated. We don't know when she last ate, or drank. It is for these reasons that I wish we could get more information from LE or RT. It would help establish search parameters for drone users and others.

Ita.
There's no proof that she was ever there to begin with, outside of what her nephew was told by relatives.
There's always the chance she is out there, just not by Kelbaker Rd.
Hoping for good news from upcoming drone searches.

Outside of what her nephew was told by *law enforcement.* That's how I read his communications. LE said they had photographic evidence that Barbara was at Kelbaker Road area that day.

You are more than welcome everyone.

We really do not like closing threads but sometimes we have no choice.

Ok, I have a favor. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Robert Thomas, Barbara's husband?

Is there a snail mail address, a lawyer, anything? Maybe you actually know him. If so if anyone has anyway for me to contact him please email me at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

I would like to offer him a spot on my podcast. Uninterrupted for as long as he wants to talk. Mr. Thomas will be able to put any rumors to rest in his own words.

As any interview subject that has come on my show will tell you I am not out to make anyone look bad. The interviewee is allowed to get his/her story out. Everyone should be given a chance to tell their side.

So much has been speculated I would like to offer Mr. Thomas something that no other outlet can and that is the freedom to say what he wants unedited. Of course, I would ask him questions but again only what he wanted to answer.

It is a long shot but I know if I don't try we will never have Mr. Thomas as a guest on Websleuths Radio Podcast right?
That is awesome! I hope he will visit with you.

Ita.
Not only was Barbara on a clear trail, it was bordered closely by thick Cholla cactus growth.
Even if she felt dizzy-- the pain of those cacti would've kept her from wandering very far.
Per the photos by sroad and others; which has been so helpful in understanding what a clearly marked path Barbara was on.
And we still don't know if she was actually drinking beer or even if she had a beer container in her hand.
There's never been any proof that she was drinking.
Possibly a drone search could help if any clues can be found that lead to where Barbara actually IS.
Keeping up hope for her nephew, son, and siblings.
They loved her so much !
I would love to see a thorough drone and helicopter search of the area, and nearby areas that have not as yet been searched. MOO

I hope what I am proposing is NOT a waste of time....but taking the thoughts of LietKynes just above. Starting at the beginning of that Friday, dropping the doggy off at the kennel 8:00 am sharp that is within 5 minutes of their home. Returning to hook up the 5th wheel or it was already hooked up, they could NOT have gone north a few miles to cross the river by the Davis Dam. They went south on Bullhead Parkway meets Hwy 95, further south to where the southern bridge crosses the Colorado river, turn right onto Needles Hwy., under the I-40 where it turns due north. This is where he parked at Red Roof Inn at Race St., walks across to the Chevron station for ice. He makes the strange statement that his wife is in the truck so as to establish her presence, she can't be seen. (For me, this statement lends to a known INTENT to happen later in the day). That length of travel from home to Chevron is 30 minutes. IF THE TIME STAMP AT CHEVRON IS 9:00 am, no chance BT is along this first part of this trip. This next phase to Kelbaker Rd. is a function of the photo time stamp that only LE has at this time. IF, the photo is early, BT could have been taken any direction within 30 to 60 minutes radius. IF, the photo time stamp is close to the time of the 911 call, my post hasn't helped at all. If there is NO photo time stamp, it only increases the radius BT could be.

Last edited:
I hope what I am proposing is NOT a waste of time....but taking the thoughts of LietKynes just above. Starting at the beginning of that Friday, dropping the doggy off at the kennel 8:00 am sharp that is within 5 minutes of their home. Returning to hook up the 5th wheel or it was already hooked up, they could NOT have gone north a few miles to cross the river by the Davis Dam. They went south on Bullhead Parkway meets Hwy 95, further south to where the southern bridge crosses the Colorado river, turn right onto Needles Hwy., under the I-40 where it turns due north. This is where he parked at Red Roof Inn at Race St., walks across to the Chevron station for ice. He makes the strange statement that his wife is in the truck so as to establish her presence, she can't be seen. (For me, this statement lends to a known INTENT to happen later in the day). That length of travel from home to Chevron is 30 minutes. IF THE TIME STAMP AT CHEVRON IS 9:00 am, no chance BT is along this first part of this trip. This next phase to Kelbaker Rd. is a function of the photo time stamp that only LE has at this time. IF, the photo is early, BT could have been taken any direction within 30 to 60 minutes radius. IF, the photo time stamp is close to the time of the 911 call, my post hasn't helped at all. If there is NO photo time stamp, it only increases the radius BT could be.

bbm

Saving this excellent post.

Re. the first bolded ; Yes, that was odd. Why bother ?
What could the convenience store employee care who was in the truck ?
Something of interest in that statement.

Re. the second bolded ; Wonder where she was if the time stamp of the Chevron is correct ? I'm assuming it is as LE said it was.
Was she out walking somewhere else ? Possible.
I didn't think about the time and distance significance.

Re. the third bolded ; From the first accounts of the Chevron employee, RT said that his wife was in the truck and that he needed physical assistance to get in and out of the truck --and that this was in the morning.
The 911 call wasn't made until 3:26pm .
So that leaves an abundance of unaccounted for time.

Might I say "the Mad Scientist" is not so "Mad"
Why would one park at a Red Roof Inn ACROSS the street from the gas station !
To establish a timeline corroborated by what He tells the Chevron worker " his wife is alive and well in his truck across the street" Convenient ? You bet. Establish she was still alive and well and in her underwear before they got to the hiking trail.

I believe LE knows exactly what is going on but does not have enough evidence to bring an arrest.
If in 5 months they have not found her alive or dead than there is a good chance she may have been put on Ice before any more Ice was needed .

Exactly.

There's a more than 7 hour window of time between when BT was last physically seen by anyone other than RT and when RT reported her missing. (8:15 - 3:36). We think there may be photos of her taken that day. If the photos reveal accurate times and locations, we could use them to narrow down the timeline and establish a larger search radius. I still firmly believe that the area was thoroughly searched and that BT is not in the previously searched area. Yes, others disagree with me about that; that is their right, and I am 100% OK with that.

Moving on.

The day she went missing was a pretty hot day in the Mojave, especially in the afternoon. If RT and BT walked on the specific trail off Kelbaker pictured in the media thread, and a picture was taken, say, with that distinctive rock formation in the background (speculating here), my guess is that it was taken in the cooler hours of the morning. MOO

Exactly.

There's a more than 7 hour window of time between when BT was last physically seen by anyone other than RT and when RT reported her missing. (8:15 - 3:36). We think there may be photos of her taken that day. If the photos reveal accurate times and locations, we could use them to narrow down the timeline and establish a larger search radius. I still firmly believe that the area was thoroughly searched and that BT is not in the previously searched area. Yes, others disagree with me about that; that is their right, and I am 100% OK with that.

Moving on.

The day she went missing was a pretty hot day in the Mojave, especially in the afternoon. If RT and BT walked on the specific trail off Kelbaker pictured in the media thread, and a picture was taken, say, with that distinctive rock formation in the background (speculating here), my guess is that it was taken in the cooler hours of the morning. MOO
bbm
Agreed.

Of interest is also the fact that search dogs were used that same day.
Given the fact that it was hot and dry and no rain for that day or several thereafter-- no chance of the scent being washed away.

I'd asked about this long before in the first thread and several posters were nice enough to point out that yes, SAR dogs were used and found no scent of Barbara at all.
The rv and truck were not searched.
If she'd walked anywhere there in the area--dogs should have alerted.

That length of travel from home to Chevron is 30 minutes. IF THE TIME STAMP AT CHEVRON IS 9:00 am, no chance BT is along this first part of this trip.

I’m afraid I must be misunderstanding something here. Can you explain why the 9:00 a.m. timestamp at the Chevron means that there is no chance BT was along at that point. If they left home as late as 8:30 (not impossible AFAIK) and it takes 30 minutes to get to the Chevron, why wouldn’t BT be there? #feelingdense :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms