Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article that was linked said she was seen on video leaving the bar.
There also where 2 linked articles that said friends (plural) saw her leave the bar.

These posts were completely ignored. Why?

I've asked more than once for someone to show me exactly where these quotes are because I couldn't find them in the linked articles. And no one has done that, so until someone does I stick with my "we don't know if she was in that club or not" because every other report is based on the initial witness statement which has, at this point, zero corroboration publicly.

It's terrible the amount of absolute confusion in this case. I encourage all to read this article.

"Police say Houston did not leave the bar alone and that surveillance video appears to show her leaving with two heavy set men. Authorities say that it appears she left willingly.

Our requests for the video and pictures was denied."

I think most of the confusion happens because people have their theories & only believe links that support them. I don't believe LE ever said there was no surveillance. Only that nothing useful was found. Posters have speculated about the truthfulness of the friend. Therefore, ignored the links that said friends saw her leave. jmo

It's terrible the amount of absolute confusion in this case. I encourage all to read this article.

"Police say Houston did not leave the bar alone and that surveillance video appears to show her leaving with two heavy set men. Authorities say that it appears she left willingly.

This is so frustrating. I understand we talk a lot about sloppy reporting, but this would go beyond sloppy. Its a very clear statement that she was seen on video leaving with two men!

This is so frustrating. I understand we talk a lot about sloppy reporting, but this would go beyond sloppy. Its a very clear statement that she was seen on video leaving with two men!

Same source, four days later:

B’ham Police: Surveillance video in Paighton Houston case does not show 2 men she reportedly left with

"By Alan Collins | December 27, 2019 at 4:33 PM CST - Updated December 31 at 4:57 PM

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - Sergeant Johnny Williams with the Birmingham Police Department said investigators have reviewed surveillance video from a bar where Paighton Houston was last seen and have not found anyone matching the description of the two men she is believed to have left with."

So we go from seeing her leave with two men to not having any footage of her leaving or of anyone in any of the video who look like the men she was supposed to have left with.

I think that's pretty significant and different from the first report.

This early article misstated what the police said with what was stated in the missing person report filed with BPD (i.e., PH willingly left alone with two men).

The reporter also made the statement while PD was still viewing the video and not able to comment. In the same article, a detective also told PH's dad that nothing useful was obtained.

In the last update by LE regarding surveillance video, Sergeant Johnny Williams formally announced that there were no men matching the description provided by the witness depicted in ANY surveillance video viewed by investigators. It's presumed that this would be surveillance footage from the bar venue and neighborhood businesses. This doesn't mean the men do not exist, only that they were not captured on footage available. MOO

Last edited:
Same source, four days later:

B’ham Police: Surveillance video in Paighton Houston case does not show 2 men she reportedly left with

"By Alan Collins | December 27, 2019 at 4:33 PM CST - Updated December 31 at 4:57 PM

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - Sergeant Johnny Williams with the Birmingham Police Department said investigators have reviewed surveillance video from a bar where Paighton Houston was last seen and have not found anyone matching the description of the two men she is believed to have left with."

So we go from seeing her leave with two men to not having any footage of her leaving or of anyone in any of the video who look like the men she was supposed to have left with.

I think that's pretty significant and different from the first report.
Wow. I'm not sure I saw that statement before. Well that's certainly interesting. :confused:

I can't seem to find the exact quote about the "nothing useful" found on the surveillance video, but the links have been posted here several times.
I think the important thing about this statement is what's not said.

It does not say: "we never saw Paighton on the video" and it does not say "we never saw the two heavy-set black males on the video".

In fact I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any statement by LE saying either they did or didn't see her leaving the bar, or that they did or didn't see her leaving the bar with the 2 heavy-set black dudes. All that they have said so far, was that there wasn't anything useful on the video. That might seem nit-picky to some, but I do think it's important to make note of this.

I think the article I posted (and the one I think seattle1 is referring to) is a bit more specific.

Wow. I'm not sure I saw that statement before. Well that's certainly interesting. :confused:

Oh, I see you saw that while I was replying to you :)

Yeah, that one sticks with me. It's *inferred* that they didn't have PH on video leaving with anyone (or they would have had video evidence of the men). It's open as to whether they saw her or not -- they simply don't say.

This is pretty much why I can't consider as fact that she was even there or that she left with 2 heavy set dudes of any kind. Certainly the latter and we have no one else, anywhere, saying they saw her there other than finding her debit card in the bar (which I also don't think is confirmed, but I could be wrong there) and that in and of itself is not proof.

This has been shown to be sloppy reporting, IIRC. Later reports indicate LE couldn't find anything on the video.

I will be the first to agree that the reporting on this case has been sloppy, at best, by more than one MSM outlet, but my ASSUMPTION was that the surveillance referenced by this article must have been provided from someone other than TR.

If this report is inaccurate, then I’m really surprised that the article has not been corrected or retracted by the publisher. But by all accounts, you may be correct...

Either way, it definitely adds to the confusion created by creative reporting and limited factual information being provided to the public.
Here’s hoping that LE does in fact have a good handle on this case and that it is resolved in short order so the rumor mill can ultimately be put to rest before social media further damages anyone that MAY be innocent.

I've asked more than once for someone to show me exactly where these quotes are because I couldn't find them in the linked articles. And no one has done that, so until someone does I stick with my "we don't know if she was in that club or not" because every other report is based on the initial witness statement which has, at this point, zero corroboration publicly.

Family and friends gather for a prayer vigil for Paighton Houston

I must of missed your request. This article states friends. The other article does not say friends saw her leave. It says facebook friends said she did not know the men. Don't know why they would say that unless they where there & saw them. I will link the article upon request

To clarify previous comments only because it seemed to set someone off on a tirade. I went back and read my post just to make sure I didn’t mis-type or mis-speak, and I did not. It reads as I intended. It was not directed at the family. Not meant to bash or degrade anyone. I do not write between the lines. My reference to the fact that just because the family believed that ph would not do this that or the other , including making bad decisions. It would be naive for the rest of us to believe that with impunity. My reference to drug use was regarding previous drug use and a documented history of bad decisions. So I can in fact believe that Ph was capable of making a bad decision. I don’t know that she did or didn’t, only that it’s possible and that possibility opens up the array of what could have happened. I am not a fan of the OD theory. I’ve considered it could be one of several possibilities but not the direction I personally am leaning towards.

That’s what is driving me nuts about this case.

Did PH leave with two HSBGs or not? Is there video proof of this?

Was PH caught on video as having been at TR.

She did not dig a whole and put herself in it. With cameras all over the place now, why don’t we have anything showing her last movements?

I’m not really questioning her co workers word, I don’t know how reliable her observations were that night. JMO

To clarify previous comments only because it seemed to set someone off on a tirade. I went back and read my post just to make sure I didn’t mis-type or mis-speak, and I did not. It reads as I intended. It was not directed at the family. Not meant to bash or degrade anyone. I do not write between the lines. My reference to the fact that just because the family believed that ph would not do this that or the other , including making bad decisions. It would be naive for the rest of us to believe that with impunity. My reference to drug use was regarding previous drug use and a documented history of bad decisions. So I can in fact believe that Ph was capable of making a bad decision. I don’t know that she did or didn’t, only that it’s possible and that possibility opens up the array of what could have happened. I am not a fan of the OD theory. I’ve considered it could be one of several possibilities but not the direction I personally am leaning towards.
I understood what you said the first time. It’s a touchy subject. I sorts got jumped when I mentioned her drug use and was accused of “victim bashing”. The mods came on and said we can talk about PHs prior drug addiction and how it may play into what happened to her that night.

And I get what was said about how we always want to believe the best of our children and will preface something with “my kid would NEVER do that”, only to find out they did. So in affect, you were saying that when PHs mother said, “I know my daughter, she would NEVER” do drugs again” or whatever she actually said, she is saying it from her heart because she wants to believe the best in her daughter who is now deceased, when in fact, PH may have relapsed that night and ended up with some very ugly people. IMO

Family and friends gather for a prayer vigil for Paighton Houston

I must of missed your request. This article states friends. The other article does not say friends saw her leave. It says facebook friends said she did not know the men. Don't know why they would say that unless they where there & saw them I will link the article upon request

That one still doesn't do much for me -- it's at least something but in all of the other pieces from the vigils and the funeral it's not indicated that anyone else had reported she was there. (I mean, honestly, if I were a reporter and put that in the report I would have wanted names and quotes because it's kind of important given the situation.)

If you've seen anything else I'm all ears, er, eyes :) but until I see more direct evidence I just can't say for sure she was there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member