Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
SeriallyAddicted, I wrote much the same scenario earlier in this thread. It's the simplest explanation for everything. Meeting up with a man named Remakel. Changing her name in advance of promised (or imagined) marriage. Advising Marion to keep the marriage secret until Remakel had gotten her money. My only new thought is that Remakel may not have set out to scam but involvement with Marion led to it.

Think about it: If I were a scammer I'd use a more common name and I'd be careful about leaving a print ad trail. Also, don't you think at least one other woman would have come forward to admit she'd been scammed-- if Remakel were a serial or committed scammer?

So if I depart from your scenario at all, I'd venture that Remakel hooked up with Marion from the ad, she went overboard with their relationship, Remakel saw opportunity and took it, Marion becomes a problem, Marion is killed, Remakel gets the hell out of Australia. If this scenario is close to true, the police will be able to see his movements, in Australia, wouldn't they?

If it is a scammer using a fake name, the police won't be able to detect his movements.

At least, we have a real investigation going on now!

Emmapeel: the scammer could change names as he scams victims eg. scam one person using the same name then move on using another name. Phone number from the ad could have been in a false name too.
Yeah I’m totally open to it being a scam or a real remakel and agree the police will find so much information that we can’t get and I think they will get to the bottom of it.
I just think that as we heard no remakel other than Marion left or entered the country within a few years either side of Marion (I think that is right), then I think it’s more likely a scam.

Can’t wait to hear what the police find....

Thanks, all, for the reminder that no REMAKEL entered or exited Australia around the time of Marion's disappearance other than Marion. That does smell of scam (using a fake name of Luxembourgian royalty) and does make it more unlikely that Fernand is implicated. IF that is all true and verified. With the new investigation, I am hoping that no stone is left unturned. And is turned 3-4 times until it can be dismissed!

Makes me want to know of all known scammers of women in that period of time. Surely someone else got scammed-- or did our guy flee or stop after Marion's death.

My google alert for Marion has picked up an announcement on 7 Facebook page.
Seems it was posted 14 hours ago.

A direct quote:
"The Lady Vanishes: Missing woman Marion Barter may not have returned to Australia
New information indicating that missing woman Marion Barter may not have returned to Australia has raised questions over who she was."

Couldn't see much else there.

A direct quote:
"The Lady Vanishes: Missing woman Marion Barter may not have returned to Australia
New information indicating that missing woman Marion Barter may not have returned to Australia has raised questions over who she was."

Oh wow, thanks for update Tootsie ☺

A direct quote:

Ok wow so that would indicate an imposter flying back in on the florabella passport and impersonating Marion at the bank.

And then you could presume that Marion either met with foul play overseas - which to me would indicate that she’d fallen victim to an organised scam where someone knew she was changing her name etc. or she herself was party to the whole thing?

Whoever flew back in on florabella’s passport and then knew they had to be Marion to withdraw the money had to be someone close to her to know all the ins and outs of the name change.

Does anyone know the authenticity of the “Box L51 Lennox Head” P.O. Box address used in the Remakel newspaper advert?
Is L51 an actual thing? I tried searching and I couldn’t find another L address (eg L15).

Re: channel 7 article.

I’m tipping this information at the start is just news article clickbait. After analyzing the passenger card I’m certain this is Marion’s handwriting.
Did we have only one sample for comparison--another passenger card? Can you remember its date? They were very similar from memory--I'm sure my handwriting isn't that consistent over time.

Ok wow so that would indicate an imposter flying back in on the florabella passport and impersonating Marion at the bank.

And then you could presume that Marion either met with foul play overseas - which to me would indicate that she’d fallen victim to an organised scam where someone knew she was changing her name etc. or she herself was party to the whole thing?

Whoever flew back in on florabella’s passport and then knew they had to be Marion to withdraw the money had to be someone close to her to know all the ins and outs of the name change.
If Marion's return is in doubt I'd also be wondering whether it was Marion who flew out of Australia. The phone call was apparently rushed and may have been obstructed by noise such as coins dropping. In a way it seems more likely that she was murdered in Australia, rather than in a country where she knew virtually no one.

Does anyone know the authenticity of the “Box L51 Lennox Head” P.O. Box address used in the Remakel newspaper advert?
Is L51 an actual thing? I tried searching and I couldn’t find another L address (eg L15).
This is from thread 1 Seriallyaddicated, a post from Joni explaining the PO Box.
"According to the old post mistress,m at lennox head, the "L" stood for Lennox Head , it was because all the mail went to Ballina in the 90s and they manually sorted it there, so L was put there to make the sorting process of a whole lot of tiny beach towns & post offices ! "
Joni C, Jul 18, 2019

This is from thread 1 Seriallyaddicated, a post from Joni explaining the PO Box.
"According to the old post mistress,m at lennox head, the "L" stood for Lennox Head , it was because all the mail went to Ballina in the 90s and they manually sorted it there, so L was put there to make the sorting process of a whole lot of tiny beach towns & post offices ! "
Joni C, Jul 18, 2019

Thanks for the information. This makes me think that the person placing the ad was definitely local and not someone who would have placed the ad remotely overseas (I mean there are numerous reasons for this anyhow but just cements it for me).

Did we have only one sample for comparison--another passenger card? Can you remember its date? They were very similar from memory--I'm sure my handwriting isn't that consistent over time.

There was a postcard and a letter, I think they were around the time of before she disappeared (postcard from her trip).

Taken from the Facebook page where someone compared the postcard to the arrival form and the word Australia. Looks the same handwriting to me.

JLZ see above link.

someone on FB compared the handwriting to previous entry card.

However the podcast used a letter or postcard for their analysis and seem to think there was some doubt, that's what I picked up in Gary's voice.

To me no doubt - it was Marion whom completed that card.

it links to a you tube video - nothing new - but it was up loaded yesterday

just go to you tube and enter - The Lady Vanishes: Missing woman Marion Barter may not have returned to Australia

Not sure I am allow to post the link.

Yes that's why I didn't post the link, not sure if allowed.

After thinking about it for awhile, I sense building up interest in another episide to come soon.

it links to a you tube video - nothing new - but it was up loaded yesterday

just go to you tube and enter - The Lady Vanishes: Missing woman Marion Barter may not have returned to Australia

Not sure I am allow to post the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member