VA VA - Ralph Leon Jackson, Blue Ridge Parkway Shooter, 4 May 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will see what happens in the court again. Again if people are interested or if it matters I believe Joseph DeAngelo is actually an innocent man who has been wrongly incarcerated and paying for another mans crimes. The actual offender in my opinion was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and the reason an innocent man was identified as the offender is because the 'science' behind the investigative genetic genealogy used to identify him was flawed. Also in my opinion the same flawed 'science' has been used to wrongly accuse people of crimes they did not commit in a number of other cases:

https://www.sacbee.com/

We will see what happens in the court again. Again if people are interested or if it matters I believe Joseph DeAngelo is actually an innocent man who has been wrongly incarcerated and paying for another mans crimes. The actual offender in my opinion was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and the reason an innocent man was identified as the offender is because the 'science' behind the investigative genetic genealogy used to identify him was flawed. Also in my opinion the same flawed 'science' has been used to wrongly accuse people of crimes they did not commit in a number of other cases:

https://www.sacbee.com/

I understand that victims relatives want their loved ones cases solved and in one state we see an attempt to make a law that LE can access DNA databases. My point is that it should be the right person who is accused of crimes and subject to legal proceedings in cases and the US Public have the right to be aware of the what I believe to be the mistakes made through investigative genetic genealogy including in my opinion wrongly accusing Joseph DeAngelo of being the Golden State Killer when the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. My suspicion is that innocent people have also likely been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit and here is a report about the use of investigative genealogy in that state:

In the latest iteration of their use—alternately labeled a breakthrough or dystopian nightmare —law enforcement is turning to some consumer genealogy database to help them find criminals. By uploading DNA from crime scenes to genetic databases or by obtaining warrants to search genealogy websites, police have been able to suss out suspects by connecting DNA evidence to the profiles of distant relatives.

A state lawmaker in Utah wants police to stop this practice. Legislation proposed by Rep. Craig Hall, a Republican, would prevent mass searches of consumer DNA databases, which Hall referred to as “fishing expeditions.”

“We understand that law enforcement wants to use these tools, but the ends don’t justify the means,” Hall said. “We don’t need a surveillance state to catch the bad guys.”

Hall said he believes that law enforcement searches of DNA databases violate the particularity requirement of the Fourth Amendment, which courts have interpreted as requiring law enforcement to obtain search warrants and describe in detail to a judge the evidence they plan to gather when invading someone’s privacy.

One State May Become the First to Ban Law Enforcement Use of Genealogy Databases

I understand that victims relatives want their loved ones cases solved and in one state we see an attempt to make a law that LE can access DNA databases. My point is that it should be the right person who is accused of crimes and subject to legal proceedings in cases and the US Public have the right to be aware of the what I believe to be the mistakes made through investigative genetic genealogy including in my opinion wrongly accusing Joseph DeAngelo of being the Golden State Killer when the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. My suspicion is that innocent people have also likely been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit and here is a report about the use of investigative genealogy in that state:

In the latest iteration of their use—alternately labeled a breakthrough or dystopian nightmare —law enforcement is turning to some consumer genealogy database to help them find criminals. By uploading DNA from crime scenes to genetic databases or by obtaining warrants to search genealogy websites, police have been able to suss out suspects by connecting DNA evidence to the profiles of distant relatives.

A state lawmaker in Utah wants police to stop this practice. Legislation proposed by Rep. Craig Hall, a Republican, would prevent mass searches of consumer DNA databases, which Hall referred to as “fishing expeditions.”

“We understand that law enforcement wants to use these tools, but the ends don’t justify the means,” Hall said. “We don’t need a surveillance state to catch the bad guys.”

Hall said he believes that law enforcement searches of DNA databases violate the particularity requirement of the Fourth Amendment, which courts have interpreted as requiring law enforcement to obtain search warrants and describe in detail to a judge the evidence they plan to gather when invading someone’s privacy.

One State May Become the First to Ban Law Enforcement Use of Genealogy Databases

So if anyone in the US is worried it appears what we have seen again is an innocent elderly man again paraded in a courtroom because of and to cover up the mistakes of the LE whose mistakes put him there:

Sonseeahray Tonsall‏ @tonsalltv 3m3 minutes ago

RIGHT NOW: Prosecutors going after accused #eastarearapist DeAngelo tell judge it's not the victims'/investigators' fault DeAngelo chose to go on a prolific crime spree generating lots of docs & evidence in multiple counties, creating a lot of material for them to review.@FOX40

Sonseeahray Tonsall (@tonsalltv) | Twitter

So if anyone in the US is worried it appears what we have seen again is an innocent elderly man again paraded in a courtroom because of and to cover up the mistakes of the LE whose mistakes put him there:

Sonseeahray Tonsall‏ @tonsalltv 3m3 minutes ago

RIGHT NOW: Prosecutors going after accused #eastarearapist DeAngelo tell judge it's not the victims'/investigators' fault DeAngelo chose to go on a prolific crime spree generating lots of docs & evidence in multiple counties, creating a lot of material for them to review.@FOX40

Sonseeahray Tonsall (@tonsalltv) | Twitter

I will say it one more time Mr DeAngelo is not the offender in the Golden State Killer case and he was not from the day of his arrest and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and the FBI have known he was a Serial Killer and the offender in the Golden State Killer case since 2010. So far they have failed to identify him and since what I consider to be the wrongful arrest of the innocent Mr DeAngelo many other people have been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit through the use of the same flawed investigative genetic genealogy. Only this week we have had the same investigative genetic genealogy procedures used to identify a possible suspect in a series of rapes and before he could get access to legal council he killed himself. As I have said I believe that in the Washington State case of Mr Talbott it was a wrongful conviction as there was no scientifically legitimate DNA hit and this has set a dangerous precedent with many other possible suspects being identified through the use investigative genetic genealogy after this wrongful conviction.

Not sure if such things matter in the US anymore but as I say in my opinion Joseph DeAngelo is an innocent man and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. The supposed DNA hit does not exist and is the product of poor science and in my opinion the DNA sample obtained by one of the crime scenes to enter into GEDMATCH was not even a pure DNA sample of the offender:

In what may end up being the biggest and most complex case to go to trial in California history, based on the scope of the charges and evidence collected, the public defenders argued that their resources were far more limited than that of the coalition of D.A. offices — from Contra Costa, Orange, Sacramento, Santa Barbara, Tulare and Ventura counties — which plans to call 150 witnesses over eight to 10 weeks.

Golden State Killer case progresses as pretrial date is set

Here is another report about the above case in Georgia where a potential suspect in a number of rape cases was identified but he committed suicide after being confronted by LE or at least that is how I read it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...4a303c-3c69-11ea-afe2-090eb37b60b1_story.html

One more report:

Georgia uses DNA sample and genealogy to solve 1999 rapes

I do not know who the offender was in these rapes in Georgia but I want to make a couple of points. Yesterday in my opinion we have again seen an innocent man Joseph DeAngelo in a courtroom suffering for crimes he did not commit because of the mistakes of LE and this has been going on for well over a year. In the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State I believe he is an innocent man wrongly convicted as an unjust legal process that was stacked against him because in my opinion information about the validity of the supposed DNA hit in his case and in other cases like the Golden State Killer case was not made available to his Defence after he pleaded not guilty. This in my opinion gave a legitimacy to the 'science' used by ParaBon Labs and investigative genetic genealogy that was not deserved. Yet after what I believe is this wrongful conviction of Mr Talbott we have seen the continued use of the same investigative genetic genealogy techniques by ParaBon Labs and this includes in this Georgia case where the accused man killed himself and this cannot be right:

Back in 2018, Senior Assistant District Attorney Theresa Schiefer, who is assigned to the Georgia Sexual Assault Kit Initiative (GASAKI) task force, received a request to look into the nearly 20-year-old cases from the Cold Case Unit. They were able to use $10,000 in funds from GASAKI to pay for the advanced genetic genealogy testing and solve the crime. “This is one of those cases that had been sitting in our cold case unit where I said do we have any fresh set of eyes, new testing, ” said Shiefer.

“In early 2019 the profile was obtained and submitted to Parabon NanoLabs, which used phenotyping to ascertain the physical appearance of the donor. Parabon also uploaded the DNA file to the public website GEDmatch.com and determined a potential ancestor of the rapist, then built the genetic tree forward, ultimately highlighting a possible suspect,” the press release detailed.

DNA solves Georgia rape cases, suspect found dead - Thenew Mag

I do not know who the offender was in these rapes in Georgia but I want to make a couple of points. Yesterday in my opinion we have again seen an innocent man Joseph DeAngelo in a courtroom suffering for crimes he did not commit because of the mistakes of LE and this has been going on for well over a year. In the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State I believe he is an innocent man wrongly convicted as an unjust legal process that was stacked against him because in my opinion information about the validity of the supposed DNA hit in his case and in other cases like the Golden State Killer case was not made available to his Defence after he pleaded not guilty. This in my opinion gave a legitimacy to the 'science' used by ParaBon Labs and investigative genetic genealogy that was not deserved. Yet after what I believe is this wrongful conviction of Mr Talbott we have seen the continued use of the same investigative genetic genealogy techniques by ParaBon Labs and this includes in this Georgia case where the accused man killed himself and this cannot be right:

Back in 2018, Senior Assistant District Attorney Theresa Schiefer, who is assigned to the Georgia Sexual Assault Kit Initiative (GASAKI) task force, received a request to look into the nearly 20-year-old cases from the Cold Case Unit. They were able to use $10,000 in funds from GASAKI to pay for the advanced genetic genealogy testing and solve the crime. “This is one of those cases that had been sitting in our cold case unit where I said do we have any fresh set of eyes, new testing, ” said Shiefer.

“In early 2019 the profile was obtained and submitted to Parabon NanoLabs, which used phenotyping to ascertain the physical appearance of the donor. Parabon also uploaded the DNA file to the public website GEDmatch.com and determined a potential ancestor of the rapist, then built the genetic tree forward, ultimately highlighting a possible suspect,” the press release detailed.

DNA solves Georgia rape cases, suspect found dead - Thenew Mag

So again I ask please that any concerned group with more influence and power look into these things for me which I believe to be true. One that Joseph DeAngelo is an innocent man wrongly accused of crimes he did not commit through flawed investigative genetic genealogy science and that LE on the basis of a non existent DNA hit are about to proceed with the largest case in Californian History against him despite the fact he is seventy five years old and already suffered deteriorating health because of being wrongly accused, two that Mr Talbott in Washington State is actually an innocent man wrongly convicted by the same flawed investigative genetic genealogy science that wrongly accused Mr DeAngelo of crimes he did not commit and that Mr Talbott did not receive a fair trial and proper legal process because evidence of the scientific flaws of investigative genetic genealogy were not made available to his Defence Team and thirdly but not least to look into whether the man who committed suicide after being acuused of rapes through the use of investigative genetic genealogy was actually the right offender given what I have said is my view that LE and ParaBon Labs have made many mistakes in other cases through the use of flawed investigative genetic genealogy 'science' they do not understand. Thanks

I am sorry for the victims and their families in crime cases just as sorry as CeCe Moore is or almost as no one can be quite as sorry and I could be a victim myself. As I have said on this thread it is my opinion that many innocent people have been wrongly accused of crimes through the use of what is termed investigative genetic genealogy because the science behind it is flawed or in simple terms in is unscientific. Therefore in my opinion there are actually no legitimate DNA hits and this includes again in my opinion the Golden State Killer and NorCal Rapist cases where in my opinion the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson whose initial connection to California was through the military which he served ten years in and I believe he was likely stationed at Mather Air Force base in the 1970s. So I again address all Public Defenders in investigative genetic genealogy cases when I say I believe the science by the DNA hits LE present as trillion to one fact is flawed and the DNA hits are therefore in reality non existent. Here are details of the legal proceedings in another case where the possible offender was identified through the use of investigative genetic genealogy:

Sullivan was charged with kidnapping with the intent to commit rape, but the jury convicted him only of false imprisonment, though the judge ordered him to register as a sex offender.

His attorney--David Houston--is attacking both the DNA evidence and use of the California case before the county grand jury. and is asking for the charges to be dismissed.

Houston told the court no evidence ties his client to Woodward other than seminal DNA found on her pants and that indicates only that he had sex with her, not that he murdered her. Other DNA he said indicated the presence of other persons.

Dismissal of charges sought for cold case murder defendant

Not sure if such things matter in the US anymore but as I say in my opinion Joseph DeAngelo is an innocent man and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. The supposed DNA hit does not exist and is the product of poor science and in my opinion the DNA sample obtained by one of the crime scenes to enter into GEDMATCH was not even a pure DNA sample of the offender:

In what may end up being the biggest and most complex case to go to trial in California history, based on the scope of the charges and evidence collected, the public defenders argued that their resources were far more limited than that of the coalition of D.A. offices — from Contra Costa, Orange, Sacramento, Santa Barbara, Tulare and Ventura counties — which plans to call 150 witnesses over eight to 10 weeks.

Golden State Killer case progresses as pretrial date is set

Here is a video from the recent court appearance of the accused Golden State Killer Joseph DeAngelo. His health appears to be deteriorating further. As I have said on this thread in my opinion he is an innocent man wrongly arrested on the basis of flawed and poor science and a DNA hit that in reality does not exist. It is also my opinion he has been wrongly incarcerated for so long now because of and to cover up the mistakes of the LE that put him there:

Here is some more details about how the identification of a possible suspect in the Colorado case happened and how it was because of the Murder Squad Podcast advocating that people enter their DNA into databases for LE use:

Jessi was contacted by the Douglas County law enforcement in June. She was told her DNA matched to be a third cousin of an offender in a cold case. Law enforcement asked her to compile a family tree.

Jessi and a friend did just that. Jessi also had her parents enter their DNA on GEDMatch. From that, they learned the offender was related through her dad's side-which helped narrow down the family data needed.

Last month, Jessi learned her hard work and willingness to have her DNA on GEDMatch helped to find the offender in the case of Helene Pruszynski.

Here is another report about the identification of a possible suspect in a Colorado cold case:

In their recent episode they make the announcement that their first cold case has been solved. It's all thanks to listener "Jessi," who uploaded her DNA into the GEDmatch database in April 2019, it then led officials to the arrest of James Curtis Clanton, a former Colorado resident who was arrested for the 1980 killing of 21-year-old Helene Pruszynski. If GEDmatch sounds familiar to you, it's because it's what was used to help track down the Golden State Killer. Jensen and Holes are big supporters of people adding their DNA profile to online services like FamilyTree and GEDmatch that allow law enforcement access to look for DNA databases with the hopes that it will help solve a crime.

Read More: A True Crime Podcast Helped Solve a 40 Year Old Cold Case | A True Crime Podcast Helped Solve a 40 Year Old Cold Case

A True Crime Podcast Helped Solve a 40 Year Old Cold Case

Our First Cold Case Murder Arrest - The Murder Squad

Here is another report about the involvement of the Murder Squad Podcast in the identification of a possible offender in a Colorado cold case through their advocation that people enter their DNA into databases. As I have said before I hope cold cases like this one has been solved for the victims and their relatives but I ask that it is checked in light of my opinion that there was a misidentification of an innocent man in the Golden State Killer case through the use of flawed investigative genetic genealogy and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson:

He commended both Jessi and law enforcement for Clanton's arrest.

“They [law enforcement] have the responsibility to enter the DNA from violent crime scenes into these databases and continually monitor any close matches,” Jensen said. “The police of Douglas County stayed on top of this one They started with the criminal database in 1998. Then once they learned about the genetic genealogy, they went there as well.”

Jessi said on the “Murder Squad” podcast that she felt driven to help. And Pruszynski's tragic story can help bring solace to other families searching for justice, Jensen believes.

“It’s in no way a substitute, but now her story can help make a difference,” he said.

‘Murder Squad' Listener's DNA Leads To Distant Relative's Arrest In 1980 Cold Case Murder

Here is another report about how the possible suspect in the Colorado cold case was identified:

In their recent episode they make the announcement that their first cold case has been solved. It's all thanks to listener "Jessi," who uploaded her DNA into the GEDmatch database in April 2019, it then led officials to the arrest of James Curtis Clanton, a former Colorado resident who was arrested for the 1980 killing of 21-year-old Helene Pruszynski. If GEDmatch sounds familiar to you, it's because it's what was used to help track down the Golden State Killer. Jensen and Holes are big supporters of people adding their DNA profile to online services like FamilyTree and GEDmatch that allow law enforcement access to look for DNA databases with the hopes that it will help solve a crime.

Read More: A True Crime Podcast Helped Solve a 40 Year Old Cold Case | A True Crime Podcast Helped Solve a 40 Year Old Cold Case

A True Crime Podcast Helped Solve a 40 Year Old Cold Case

As I have said on this thread I believe there have been many mistakes because investigative genetic genealogy is scientifically flawed or outright unscientific. As I have said I believe one of these mistakes was the misidentification of Joseph DeAngelo in the Golden State Killer case when the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and of course Mr DeAngelo has been incarcerated for over eighteen months with deteriorating health in my opinion for crimes he did not commit and because of the mistakes of LE who are yet to correct their mistakes. Now in some other cases possible suspects have criminal records while others like in the arrest of Coley McCraney the suspect does not (this man is innocent in my opinion and again wrongly arrested through the use of scientifically flawed investigative genealogy that the people using it do not understand its flaws and that is why in my opinion they continue to make mistakes). Here are details in another case where there have recently been an arrest through the use of investigative genetic genealogy:

Koehler was taken into custody in Brevard County, Fla., and extradited to Miami-Dade, where he was booked into jail on Wednesday afternoon, records show. For the time being, Koehler is charged in connection with one rape, authorities told local media, but dozens of other counts could follow.

Courtroom video showed Koehler on Tuesday making his first appearance before a judge, who ordered him held without bond. He wore a green smock, known as a suicide gown, that authorities often place on high-profile prisoners.

“I’m not guilty,” Koehler told the judge.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crim...capture-decades-then-police-got-his-sons-dna/

Here is another report about investigative genetic genealogy:

“We live with it every day and deal with it every day, but there was something about hitting that 10-year mark with still no answers,” Backmann said.

No answers, but not lost hope. For waiting families, hope lies in genealogy DNA testing. With the information collected from genetic profiles uploaded to databases, investigators can identify relatives, then narrow down suspects in cold cases.

"Genetic genealogy is the biggest breakthrough in cold case investigations since DNA. You can’t turn on a TV and watch the news each week without seeing another case that is solved using genetic genealogy,” Backmann said.

Project: Cold Case bringing genealogy DNA testing to weekend event

As I have said it is my opinion that investigative genetic genealogy is a flawed science as it is being used by LE at the moment and LE and even scientists do not understand the flaws in it and this is why in my opinion a large number of innocent people have been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit through its use and again in my opinion this includes the case that inspired its use the Golden State Killer case where the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. It is therefore also my view that any training at the moment will be flawed and likely given by people involved in the mistakes I have mentioned. Here are details about a conference revolving around the use of investigative genetic genealogy:

The Wichita Police Department and Gene By Gene, a genetic testing company are co-hosting a training conference today on Investigative Genetic Genealogy.

Genetic genealogy has recently been used to help solve cold cases across the country, including most recently, identifying and leading to the arrest of a suspect in the Golden State Killer cases. Gene By Gene was one of the first companies to provide consumer DNA kits for genetic testing and have been providing investigative genetic genealogy services to law enforcement agencies to help solve unsolved violent crime.

The process is fairly simple: law enforcement agencies submit unidentified genetic material collected at crime scenes. DNA is then extracted from that material which is analysed and then compared against a database of consumer DNA data that people have submitted to a genetic genealogy.

Wichita Police, Gene By Gene hosting Investigative Genetic Genealogy training conference

Here is another report about the proposed law in Utah prohibiting the use of investigative genetic genealogy. As I have said on this thread the main issue in my opinion is flawed investigative genetic genealogy 'science' has actually been used to misidentify innocent men as the offenders in serious crime cases and in my opinion this includes the Golden State Killer case where the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. This part is of the argument is not a political one as anyone in my opinion can be on the wrong end of an erroneous investigative genetic genealogy phoney DNA hit and of course this includes people of all races:

Proposed bill would keep law enforcement from probing DNA data - The Daily Universe

Here is another report about the proposed law in Utah prohibiting the use of investigative genetic genealogy. As I have said on this thread the main issue in my opinion is flawed investigative genetic genealogy 'science' has actually been used to misidentify innocent men as the offenders in serious crime cases and in my opinion this includes the Golden State Killer case where the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. This part is of the argument is not a political one as anyone in my opinion can be on the wrong end of an erroneous investigative genetic genealogy phoney DNA hit and of course this includes people of all races:

Proposed bill would keep law enforcement from probing DNA data - The Daily Universe

Here is part of the above article and I expect the Representative might be even more keen to see the Bill pass if he knew innocent people had been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit by LR and their genealogists accessing databases. In my opinion it is possible that innocent people have been wrongly identified as the offender in serious crimes in Utah through the use of flawed investigative genetic genealogy:

In the state of Utah during the 2019 Legislative session, Rep. Steve Eliason, R-Sandy, proposed HB421, which would provide more than $500,000 in funding to create a CODIS lab in the state of Utah. He said that currently some kits in the state of Utah take more than a year to process. While the bill passed the House and a Senate committee vote, the full Senate never voted on the bill.

“Some of the DNA legislation that we have passed in the past several years has made a big difference in apprehending criminals,” Eliason said as he presented the bill to the House floor.

Here is part of the above article and I expect the Representative might be even more keen to see the Bill pass if he knew innocent people had been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit by LR and their genealogists accessing databases. In my opinion it is possible that innocent people have been wrongly identified as the offender in serious crimes in Utah through the use of flawed investigative genetic genealogy:

In the state of Utah during the 2019 Legislative session, Rep. Steve Eliason, R-Sandy, proposed HB421, which would provide more than $500,000 in funding to create a CODIS lab in the state of Utah. He said that currently some kits in the state of Utah take more than a year to process. While the bill passed the House and a Senate committee vote, the full Senate never voted on the bill.

“Some of the DNA legislation that we have passed in the past several years has made a big difference in apprehending criminals,” Eliason said as he presented the bill to the House floor.

Again in these issues what I consider to be the wrongful conviction of Mr Talbott in Washington State sets a dangerous precedent because in my opinion it gives a scientific legitimacy to investigative genetic genealogy it does not deserve.

As I have said it is my opinion that investigative genetic genealogy is a flawed science as it is being used by LE at the moment and LE and even scientists do not understand the flaws in it and this is why in my opinion a large number of innocent people have been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit through its use and again in my opinion this includes the case that inspired its use the Golden State Killer case where the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. It is therefore also my view that any training at the moment will be flawed and likely given by people involved in the mistakes I have mentioned. Here are details about a conference revolving around the use of investigative genetic genealogy:

The Wichita Police Department and Gene By Gene, a genetic testing company are co-hosting a training conference today on Investigative Genetic Genealogy.

Genetic genealogy has recently been used to help solve cold cases across the country, including most recently, identifying and leading to the arrest of a suspect in the Golden State Killer cases. Gene By Gene was one of the first companies to provide consumer DNA kits for genetic testing and have been providing investigative genetic genealogy services to law enforcement agencies to help solve unsolved violent crime.

The process is fairly simple: law enforcement agencies submit unidentified genetic material collected at crime scenes. DNA is then extracted from that material which is analysed and then compared against a database of consumer DNA data that people have submitted to a genetic genealogy.

Wichita Police, Gene By Gene hosting Investigative Genetic Genealogy training conference

Here is a report about the above conference on investigative genetic genealogy. I hate to rain on the parade but in my opinion the Golden State Killer was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and hence Joseph DeAngelo is an innocent man wrongly accused of crimes. So in my opinion investigative genetic genealogy is being promoted off the back of a very serious mistake which has caused a great deal of harm to an innocent man as seen in the latest court appearance well over a year after his arrest. Paul Holes states that many cases have been solved in my opinion there have likely been many other mistakes amongst these cases as there was in the Golden State Killer case:

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article239584183.html

Here is a report about the above conference on investigative genetic genealogy. I hate to rain on the parade but in my opinion the Golden State Killer was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and hence Joseph DeAngelo is an innocent man wrongly accused of crimes. So in my opinion investigative genetic genealogy is being promoted off the back of a very serious mistake which has caused a great deal of harm to an innocent man as seen in the latest court appearance well over a year after his arrest. Paul Holes states that many cases have been solved in my opinion there have likely been many other mistakes amongst these cases as there was in the Golden State Killer case:

Here is part of the above report. As I say it as a result of a mistake in the Golden State Killer case that access to these other DNA database were 'opened up' and in my view this has likely lead to other innocent people being wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit in my opinion how Joseph DeAngelo was in the Golden State Killer case where in my opinion the actual offender was Ralph Leon Jackson:

The conference’s co-host, a Houston-based direct-to-consumer genetic testing company called Gene by Gene, is allowing law enforcement agencies to submit DNA samples and lab data files from certain kinds of cold cases. Gene by Gene then queries its DNA database, Family Tree DNA, for any matches that investigators can use to track down suspects or identify remains.

Gene by Gene lab director Connie Bormans said the company decided to open its database to law enforcement after news broke that investigative genetic genealogy in 2018 helped catch suspected Golden State killer Joseph DeAngelo, who is accused of at least 13 murders and dozens of rapes and burglaries in California in the 1970s and 1980s.

In the 18 months since, at least 70 cold cases including murders and rapes have been solved, conference presenters said Thursday.

“These are the ones where the perpetrators have really been living undetected — for decades, in some cases — and they are the ones that need to be brought to justice first,” Bormans said.

Bormans acknowledged that letting law enforcement access its database has been controversial. Its customers buy DNA kits and submit their samples, usually to help them find loved ones or build family trees.

Most don’t know or expect that their DNA profiles — even though uploaded into public databases — could be used to help track down a suspect in a criminal case.

But Bormans said Gene by Gene only allows law enforcement to use its services for what she calls the “most heinous crimes” — unsolved homicides, sexual assaults and child abductions — as well as to identify human remains.

And the agencies have to register with Gene by Gene before they can submit any DNA samples from their investigations.

Borman said Gene by Gene’s U.S. customers automatically give consent to let law enforcement search their profiles when they use the company’s services. But customers can manually opt out, if they have privacy or other concerns, she said.

Paul Holes, a retired cold case investigator who spent 24 years trying to track down the Golden State killer, said he thinks there’s a good chance investigative genetic genealogy can help solve Kansas cold cases.

“I’m excited about the idea of Family Tree DNA and Gene by Gene working with Kansas authorities in order to try to get closure for some of these victims’ families,” he said.

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article239584183.html#storylink=cpy

Here is part of the above report. As I say it as a result of a mistake in the Golden State Killer case that access to these other DNA database were 'opened up' and in my view this has likely lead to other innocent people being wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit in my opinion how Joseph DeAngelo was in the Golden State Killer case where in my opinion the actual offender was Ralph Leon Jackson:

The conference’s co-host, a Houston-based direct-to-consumer genetic testing company called Gene by Gene, is allowing law enforcement agencies to submit DNA samples and lab data files from certain kinds of cold cases. Gene by Gene then queries its DNA database, Family Tree DNA, for any matches that investigators can use to track down suspects or identify remains.

Gene by Gene lab director Connie Bormans said the company decided to open its database to law enforcement after news broke that investigative genetic genealogy in 2018 helped catch suspected Golden State killer Joseph DeAngelo, who is accused of at least 13 murders and dozens of rapes and burglaries in California in the 1970s and 1980s.

In the 18 months since, at least 70 cold cases including murders and rapes have been solved, conference presenters said Thursday.

“These are the ones where the perpetrators have really been living undetected — for decades, in some cases — and they are the ones that need to be brought to justice first,” Bormans said.

Bormans acknowledged that letting law enforcement access its database has been controversial. Its customers buy DNA kits and submit their samples, usually to help them find loved ones or build family trees.

Most don’t know or expect that their DNA profiles — even though uploaded into public databases — could be used to help track down a suspect in a criminal case.

But Bormans said Gene by Gene only allows law enforcement to use its services for what she calls the “most heinous crimes” — unsolved homicides, sexual assaults and child abductions — as well as to identify human remains.

And the agencies have to register with Gene by Gene before they can submit any DNA samples from their investigations.

Borman said Gene by Gene’s U.S. customers automatically give consent to let law enforcement search their profiles when they use the company’s services. But customers can manually opt out, if they have privacy or other concerns, she said.

Paul Holes, a retired cold case investigator who spent 24 years trying to track down the Golden State killer, said he thinks there’s a good chance investigative genetic genealogy can help solve Kansas cold cases.

“I’m excited about the idea of Family Tree DNA and Gene by Gene working with Kansas authorities in order to try to get closure for some of these victims’ families,” he said.

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article239584183.html#storylink=cpy

As I have said on this thread it is my opinion there have been many mistakes through the use of investigative genetic genealogy where innocent people have been incorrectly accused of crimes they did not commit and again in my opinion this includes in the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State where the supposed DNA hit was a product of poor and flawed science and was in reality non existent but his Public Defenders were not aware of it. I also suspect that there have been a number of misidentifications by LE in Florida in the cases where investiagtaive genetic genealogy has been used:

“Always in the back of their head is who did it?” Backmann said. “How come they haven’t been held accountable?” Backmann said. Her adds genetic genealogy is the biggest breakthrough in cold case investigations since DNA. “This is too powerful a tool.” Backmann said. “We’ve already seen over 100 cases solved using this technology.”

Deputies said familial DNA could be the future of solving cold cases. For example, if you give your DNA, you will find out information on your family’s background. But, if detectives have access to it, they can compare it to untapped DNA in their cold cases.

Investigators asking people to volunteer DNA to help solve cold cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members