IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

Great idea, @Woofbark!

ETA: What is the possibility that the evil individuals responsible for this crime would *also* be keeping an eye on such "arranged" pay phones? (Nevertheless, I like your idea. Wondering now how such calls could be... to a "hotline" where some kind of "anonymity-making" software [that wouldn't require Einstein's brain to use it!:)] could be linked to an ordinary cell phone? ::Thinking, thinking::)
By having more than one of those phones, it would make it difficult for a bad guy to monitor. He wouldn't know which phone, which day, or what time to watch.

By having more than one of those phones, it would make it difficult for a bad guy to monitor. He wouldn't know which phone, which day, or what time to watch.

WB and TS, Your points are well taken - First the case needs to go to an agency interested in solving the crime.

See the quote below from Iowa State Representative John Kooiker accusing Mason City Police Department of ignoring leads.

"The chief’s mysterious reaction, manifested through the mayor, makes sense if the Mason City Police Department is mishandling this case. Indeed, I soon realized certain leads first filed in 2008 had been ignored for at least seven years.

I spoke with DCI director Jim Saunders. He explained that due to the complexity of this case, the Mason City Police Department was supposedly notifying Iowa DCI of all leads since 1995. But for reasons unknown, the Mason City Police Department concealed the 2008 leads from Iowa DCI until 2015."

Kooiker: Disappearance of Huisentruit remains troubling (December 28, 2016)

WB and TS, Your points are well taken - First the case needs to go to an agency interested in solving the crime.

See the quote below from Iowa State Representative John Kooiker accusing Mason City Police Department of ignoring leads.

(snipped)

Kooiker: Disappearance of Huisentruit remains troubling (December 28, 2016)

@User4243, that is exactly my point in having quoted Rep. Kooiker on this thread in the last month or so!

"Life" (and the desire to preserve one's *own* life) is a powerful concept... and maybe there is someone at the MCPD who *is* fearful of losing his/her own life by either a.) solving the JH crime, or in b.) even becoming involved in the ***smallest*** of ways. (Surely by now JH's family members must be wondering what's up, in that regard? Or is that just "me", I wonder?)

@User4243, that is exactly my point in having quoted Rep. Kooiker on this thread in the last month or so!

"Life" (and the desire to preserve one's *own* life) is a powerful concept... and maybe there is someone at the MCPD who *is* fearful of losing his/her own life by either a.) solving the JH crime, or in b.) even becoming involved in the ***smallest*** of ways. (Surely by now JH's family members must be wondering what's up, in that regard? Or is that just "me", I wonder?)

TS, Great point! And I also continue to be puzzled at the circumstances behind Lt Frank Stearns' "overly" quiet retirement.

Where does the record reflect Lt. Frank Stearns demonstrating the same passion for finding the person(s) who committed aggravated kidnapping and murder as he is now displaying in finding the vandals who shamefully vandalized the billboards?

Cerro Gordo autopsies no longer to be done locally, extra cost could be $100K September 10, 2019

Former Mason City investigator targeted in Huisentruit sign vandalism hopes vandals will be identified, arrested and prosecuted January 3, 2020

There is so much about this that makes no sense. Feb 15 will be interesting when Payne Lindsey's show airs. This wouldn't be the season premier of Up and Vanished and it wouldn't be two hours long if there was nothing new.

I can’t believe this case hasn’t been solved :(
I mentioned previously that some people may not come forward with information unless they get some kind of reward. My suggestion was to offer a substantial reward just for finding the body. That may help to make someone come forward with what they know. Feed the greed to supply the need.

WB, great idea. First step is to take the case away from the Mason City Police department and re-investigate the entire case, and also investigate other leads which have been ignored. Like the ones mentioned below by a State Representative.

Kooiker: Disappearance of Huisentruit remains troubling December 28, 2016

"The chief’s mysterious reaction, manifested through the mayor, makes sense if the Mason City Police Department is mishandling this case. Indeed, I soon realized certain leads first filed in 2008 had been ignored for at least seven years.

I spoke with DCI director Jim Saunders. He explained that due to the complexity of this case, the Mason City Police Department was supposedly notifying Iowa DCI of all leads since 1995. But for reasons unknown, the Mason City Police Department concealed the 2008 leads from Iowa DCI until 2015."

I re-read your reply and it got me to thinking. The police could put in about 3 or 4 free to use old style phone booths. People could make free local calls to anyone including the police. Put them in areas that aren't frequented by anyone. Let the public know where they are located and that they will not be on video. They can use them to give information to the police about any crime including the huisentruit case. If they do leave tips and want to remain anonymous, police can give them a five digit number when they call. If they want a reward for helping solve a case, they can go to the police at a later point in time and give that 5 digit number. They stay anonymous until the case is solved that way. About once every couple of days they would need to check the condition of the phones.
I get the goal behind the payphone idea, but really they just need to turn tips over to CrimeStoppers. Most people trust the anonymity of CS and know they’ll get a reward if conditions are met.

I grew up in rural Iowa. The problem with the phone booth idea is that everybody knows everyone in rural Iowa. I know this isn’t exactly rural- but trust me, it is. Given the history of this case, the rumors of police cover-up, corruption, ignoring leads, etc. Nobody is going to any phone booth there. At any hour on any day. Ever. Because someone, who knows someone, who knows someone would notice that. And mention it. Until everyone else is whispering about it.

Tips either have to go to CrimeStoppers, a COMPLETELY new and separate investigative team, or the NY Times. But you’re right- no known person there is going to reveal themselves or their tip to any person connected to the local popo. JMVHO.

I get the goal behind the payphone idea, but really they just need to turn tips over to CrimeStoppers. Most people trust the anonymity of CS and know they’ll get a reward if conditions are met.

I grew up in rural Iowa. The problem with the phone booth idea is that everybody knows everyone in rural Iowa. I know this isn’t exactly rural- but trust me, it is. Given the history of this case, the rumors of police cover-up, corruption, ignoring leads, etc. Nobody is going to any phone booth there. At any hour on any day. Ever. Because someone, who knows someone, who knows someone would notice that. And mention it. Until everyone else is whispering about it.

Tips either have to go to CrimeStoppers, a COMPLETELY new and separate investigative team, or the NY Times. But you’re right- no known person there is going to reveal themselves or their tip to any person connected to the local popo. JMVHO.
Good points.

TS, Great point! And I also continue to be puzzled at the circumstances behind Lt Frank Stearns' "overly" quiet retirement.

Where does the record reflect Lt. Frank Stearns demonstrating the same passion for finding the person(s) who committed aggravated kidnapping and murder as he is now displaying in finding the vandals who shamefully vandalized the billboards?

(snipped)

There is so much about this that makes no sense. Feb 15 will be interesting when Payne Lindsey's show airs. This wouldn't be the season premier of Up and Vanished and it wouldn't be two hours long if there was nothing new.

BBM

Yes, @User4243, I think that all of us here on this thread are hoping and praying that there will be some solid new developments or information in this case, right at the start of the February 15th show! (Hmm... okay, maybe they'll put it at the very end of the show, to keep everyone watching...)

What is the significance of keeping her driver's license up on the wall? Guilt?

From what I know of LE it's almost like a brotherhood due to the reliance on each-other. Wouldn't it take something very significant for her to have made such a claim? What are the chances that she was just a bad egg? I cannot recall how long she was in the force, but to mind it wasn't an insignificant amount of time, so surely she would be familiar with the law, and also aware of prior cases of mishandling by LE (for whatever reason - lack of funding, ect.)? Also how suspicious is an NDA with regards to LE? Thinking about it I expect it isn't very, but you will have a better idea.

Isn't mishandling/lack of resources common (sadly) throughout the US (and the world, pretty much)? Why would they get so worried about it being exposed? Also, if they had a strong case why were they desperate to settle? Is it often that LE agencies lose cases to officers? Another thing that concerns me is how Ohl seemed to accept the settlement without a fight. If she was really sincere then surely she would have continued fighting the case? Could it indicate her being forced?

Or... @NotSHolmes, could it be that Maria O in MC was... afraid for her very life, so... she simply settled for the $95K, glad to be... alive, knowing what she knew, and having revealed what she revealed? :eek: Scary stuff, indeed.

Or... @NotSHolmes, could it be that Maria O in MC was... afraid for her very life, so... she simply settled for the $95K, glad to be... alive, knowing what she knew, and having revealed what she revealed? :eek: Scary stuff, indeed.
Who knows? I wouldn't put it past them at all - sadly whistle-blowers at every level (right from local PDs - e.g. Ohl, up to the highest levels of government - e.g. Snowden) are treated terribly by a country that is supposed to be the example of a vanguard for "free speech", "free press" and a "fair trial".

But there is no doubt that police corruption exists - and who knows just how rampant it is? I have only recently found out about the case of Jessica Boynton which has been dubbed "Who shot the officer's wife" by the media (Behind the closet door: Crime Watch Daily investigates the Jessica Boynton case - one of the many articles and The Officer's Wife podcast | What really happened in the Jessica Boynton shooting - YouTube - a podcast series on the case). The cover-up is so bad and permeates so much of the PD that there is a change.org campaign to get the FBI involved (Sign the Petition).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back