Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV

Status
Not open for further replies.
From your link above

"
Also on Wednesday, 240 Americans - including workers the local US consulate - left the city.

According to CNN, the evacuees might have to stay in isolation in an airport hangar for up to two weeks."

I don't agree with CNN that they would stay in an airport hangar though lol. I would think since it is a reserve base, that they would have dormitories/barracks for them if indeed they stay for a bit.

Might?”

Hmm.

Surely the US isn’t that stupid. Surely they’re going to quarantine them. They/we can’t risk not, imo. Everyone else (UK/Australia) is quarantining. Surely US is too. Moo.

Saying this now. THIS will end up being huge. Much bigger and widespread then we can imagine.
For our friends in the east.
I pray that I am wrong.
But, I'm no dummy. I predict this situation to become a huge problem.
Very much so.
I am thankful that America has strong leadership. We're going to need decisive and quick preventative actions.

I totally agree, but I really hope we are both wrong!

I believe the official numbers that are released over the next few days will start to tell the real story. Even if China is undereporting the number of cases, they will probably report at the same percentage levels.
To me, the biggest indicator that China knows more and is extremely concerned about the true magnitude of this outbreak is reflected by their reactions to this outbreak. Their actions just don’t line up with what’s been reported thus far.
My biggest concern at the moment is that the mortality rate may be MUCH HIGHER than what is currently being estimated.
The percentage of mortality at the moment is supposedly around
2.5% - 3%. Not a good number, but not overly concerning.
With that being said, and with this virus still being relatively new, I believe it’s also important to keep in mind that currently, the number of fatalities is higher than the number considered “cured”. And that leaves a lot of unknown outcomes that are still pending.
I’m hoping for the best, but also starting to lean towards preparing for the worst.

All MOO

Ok.

I’m really bothered by this quote. Just sayin. (again )

Qmfr / BBM in red :

Coronavirus outbreak: Some Americans evacuated from Wuhan as death toll rises

“A plane chartered by the U.S. government to evacuate as many as 240 Americans from the Chinese city at the center of the coronavirus outbreak landed overnight in Anchorage, Alaska to refuel before heading for Southern California. It's carrying diplomats from the U.S. Consulate in Wuhan and other U.S. citizens. Before the flight left China there were more than 1,000 Americans stuck in Wuhan.

Other countries have also begun evacuating citizens from China on chartered flights.”

[...]

“More than 100 people in the U.S. were being tested for the disease across 26 states on Tuesday.”

—-

So what happens when they get to Southern Cal? Will they be quarantined or anything? I’m wondering about all the people (of various origins) being evacuated - considering they can be symptomless, how do they know all these people won’t bring the virus back with them?

FTR, I’m just asking- I’m not saying anyone deserves to be stranded there, nor am I stating an opinion on the matter, that we shouldn’t help our fellow citizens. I think this is a fair question considering the circumstances and I’m sure I’m not the only person wondering about this.

—-

ETA: Here is the process:

Americans evacuated from China undergo screening in Alaska before quarantine.

“A chartered plane carrying more than 200 Americans from Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in China, landed in Anchorage shortly after 9:20 p.m. local time on Tuesday, according to flight tracking services.

The 240 passengers, including diplomats and businesspeople, were to undergo medical screening at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, the local authorities said. The plane was also to be refueled before flying to March Air Reserve Base in Riverside County, Calif., its final destination.

Jim Szczesniak, the airport manager, said that the aircraft would be “handled in a remote location” and that medical staff from the United States Centers for Disease Control would check patients in an isolated area. Passengers would remain in a terminal that is not currently being used by commercial carriers or accessible to the public.

The passengers will be screened and go through the immigration process,” Mr. Szczesniak said. “They will reboard their flight and head to their final destination.”

However, any passengers found to have a cough, fever or shortness of breath in Anchorage will be further assessed by medical experts, according to a statement released by Alaska’s Department of Health and Social Services. If the medical team determines that special care is necessary, it will refer those passengers to a nearby hospital.”

Coronavirus Live Updates: U.S. Evacuates Citizens from Hot Zone, and Death Toll Mounts

—-

Ok, I’m not going to lie, this concerns me a little bit. Again, I’m not saying anyone deserves to be stuck anywhere.

So, to understand clearly, one can receive a valid result via this screening process even if they are symptomless or in an incubation period??

Idk, I’d like to see more about this.

Or not. :eek:

—-

Well, one thing I can say about Southern Cal is they’re experienced with epidemics. See thread I started below. I was the only one posting there I think lol. Glad I’m not alone this time haha.

California / Hepatitis A Outbreak 2017

Might?”

Hmm.

Surely the US isn’t that stupid. Surely they’re going to quarantine them. They/we can’t risk not, imo. Everyone else (UK/Australia) is quarantining. Surely US is too. Moo.
At least we will get to hear from the Americans who were evacuated, I hope, about what they witnessed in China. Do they think the numbers are accurate or are more people sick. I'd like to hear from people other than Chinese officials, people whose accounts are trustworthy, about what's happening.

jmo

At least we will get to hear from the Americans who were evacuated, I hope, about what they witnessed in China. Do they think the numbers are accurate or are more people sick. I'd like to hear from people other than Chinese officials, people whose accounts are trustworthy, about what's happening.

jmo

I would too. In quarantine. That’s what the internet is for. :D

Hi Inthedetails btw. Long time no see. :)

Jet with US employees from China diverted to March air base amid coronavirus concerns

Video and article at link. Discussing original plan prior to last night was 3 days quarantine after arrival at Ontario, before they switched to Air Force base last minute. They now have reporters at the air force base awaiting arrival and updates.

Plane carrying US evacuees from China amid coronavirus outbreak diverted to California air base

A plane carrying about 201 U.S. citizens evacuated from Wuhan, China—the epicenter of the deadly coronavirus—has landed in the U.S. after it was diverted Tuesday to California’s March Air Reserve Base "for the logistics that they have," an official said.

The Boeing 747 with red and gold stripes and no passenger windows was initially headed to Ontario International Airport in California. It landed in Alaska at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport on Tuesday night -- before it refueled and took off for California. Every passenger passed the screenings.

“The whole plane erupted in cheers when the crew said, ‘Welcome home to the United States,’" Alaska’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Anne Zink said.

Ontario International Airport was designated about a decade ago by the U.S. government to receive repatriated Americans in case of an emergency overseas but it would have been the first time the facility was used for the purpose, David Wert, spokesman for the county of San Bernardino said.

Curt Hagman, the chairman of the San Bernandino County Board of Supervisors and a commissioner at the airport, said on social media that the CDC had informed him of its decision to divert the flight.

MOO All these changes happened overnight, so my guess is media is not on top of quarantine info, but I'm certain MOO that there will be some. Updates to follow once day breaks in California as media now knows. lol, if they had seen FlightAware last night, they knew of the change prior to being informed elsewhere by officials.

Americans evacuated from virus-hit China set to land home

Passengers will be re-screened and "temporarily housed for a period of time" upon their arrival in California, officials added.

:pTermporarily housed sounds much nicer and hospitality like vs. quarantined:p

Last edited:
I would too. In quarantine. That’s what the internet is for. :D

Hi Inthedetails btw. Long time no see. :)
Hello @margarita25!! You're up early (or late?)! I haven't been on WS for a few months but the developments in the Jennifer Dulos case brought me back yesterday. I've been following the coronavirus case on my own since the story broke. Nice to chat with others about it.

Ontario International Airport was designated about a decade ago by the U.S. government to receive repatriated Americans in case of an emergency overseas but it would have been the first time the facility was used for the purpose, David Wert, spokesman for the county of San Bernardino said.

Snipped. Interesting!! I never heard that info before. It's only 10 years old for this purpose?

I'm kind of taken aback....not sure why - a bit of discomfort knowing we would need such a facility and also comfort knowing that we do have one. And then it wasn't even used today. All a bit weird, but I'm glad the evacuated Americans are here safely.

jmo

Jet with US employees from China diverted to March air base amid coronavirus concerns

Video and article at link. Discussing original plan prior to last night was 3 days quarantine after arrival at Ontario, before they switched to Air Force base last minute. They now have reporters at the air force base awaiting arrival and updates.

Plane carrying US evacuees from China amid coronavirus outbreak diverted to California air base

A plane carrying about 201 U.S. citizens evacuated from Wuhan, China—the epicenter of the deadly coronavirus—has landed in the U.S. after it was diverted Tuesday to California’s March Air Reserve Base "for the logistics that they have," an official said.

The Boeing 747 with red and gold stripes and no passenger windows was initially headed to Ontario International Airport in California. It landed in Alaska at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport on Tuesday night -- before it refueled and took off for California. Every passenger passed the screenings.

“The whole plane erupted in cheers when the crew said, ‘Welcome home to the United States,’" Alaska’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Anne Zink said.

Curt Hagman, the chairman of the San Bernandino County Board of Supervisors and a commissioner at the airport, said on social media that the CDC had informed him of its decision to divert the flight.

MOO All these changes happened overnight, so my guess is media is not on top of quarantine info, but I'm certain MOO that there will be some. Updates to follow once day breaks in California as media now knows. lol, if they had seen FlightAware last night, they knew of the change prior to being informed elsewhere by officials.

It says every passenger passed the screenings. I’m still looking for the answer as to the screenings and if it can detect those who may be in an incubation period, not showing symptoms, etc. I mean, obviously they wouldn’t release them if they thought they were potentially infectious, but again, UK and Australia are still quarantining them to be on the safe side. This says something to me. Moo.

It says every passenger passed the screenings. I’m still looking for the answer as to the screenings and if it can detect those who may be in an incubation period, not showing symptoms, etc. I mean, obviously they wouldn’t release them if they thought they were potentially infectious, but again, UK and Australia are still quarantining them to be on the safe side. This says something to me. Moo.

Oh, I think that question is answerable! The screening is cought/temp/sickly. So NO!!! That airport screening has been known for a week not to be a final determination/detection tool.

Not sure I'm following the rest of your post, as it does appear logically the reason they redid to the base is to house them longer, or to ensure no exposure/dminish fears to others from airport etc. as the plan was for 3 day quarantine previously when they were to arrive at the Ontario airport. My guess is worldwide gov'ments are learning day to day, and since US is getting them back later than others, We just haven't gotton information from officials as to time etc.

Last edited:
"Significant breakthrough": Australian lab first to grow Wuhan coronavirus outside China

• Mike Catton, deputy director of the Doherty Institute, told a news conference on Wednesday "the virus can be used in the assessment of the effectiveness of vaccines particularly and of medicines."
"It also gives us the opportunity to create a first-generation antibody test, and that's important both in the clinical management of patients who may be late in the illness ... and it's also really important for us to look at things like asymptomatic infection with the virus or mild infection that hasn't come to the attention of health authorities, and those patients haven't been tested and identified as cases."
-more at link

I missed this info yesterday - a press conference by CDC regarding the virus in USA.

Brief recap (not comprehensive, just the highlights in my opinion and bbm)

* 5 cases detected in USA.
* USA has experience with how to respond to such a virus.
* Known cases are the most severe (because if not severely sick, people don't seek medical care so we don't know about them).
* Incubation period still not entirely known.
* USA offered to send CDC team to China to assist, more than once. Urging cooperation and transparency.
* Lots of reassurance that USA is prepared.
* Level 3 travel advisory to all of China - postpone or reconsider travel.
* Level 4 travel advisory to Hubei (sp) - don't travel there.
* 18 known international locations were virus is.
* Will screen at 20 airports in USA.
* Wash hands, cover mouth when cough, stay home if sick.
* If infected, follow CDC guides so don't spread to others.
* No spread of virus within USA, but potential.
* Arizona, California, Washington, Illinois team: tracing everyone who has been in direct contact with infected people in USA.
* Thanked patients and contacts for cooperation.
* Diagnostics have been developed by CDC.
* No proven therapy for the virus. Ongoing studies and testing.
* Important to get isolates of virus (not sure what that means).
* Will be able to make antibodies "soon." Vaccines under development.
* China shared virus sequence (which will help develop a vaccine).

I didn't listen to the questions from reporters. The above is from the prepared statements by the CDC professionals who spoke.

jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads