Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Medstudies , I’m going to jump on that “melodramatic” band wagon with you !

My three biggest concerns have been mentioned in just the last few posts...
  1. Rapid or worsening mutations
  2. Inaccurate reporting of deaths/data
  3. The ability to spread prior to symptoms being present
I stated earlier in this thread that I believed things could get very ugly very fast - and I now believe they are.

I’m not generally in the “alarmist” category. I never gave much thought to SARS, N1H1, etc,... But in my opinion, this is an entirely different animal we’re dealing with now.

This is not the time to panic, and I’m not promoting being a “prepper”, but I would suggest to my fellow WS’ers - stock up a little in the event this thing isn’t contained. If this virus breaks loose in another country, fear and chaos will reign supreme - at least in the short term.

Hope for the best - be prepared for the worst.

My personal opinion is that it's always best to be a 'mini-prepper' if you can (not everyone can afford to stock up on things, but those who do will reduce queues and empty-shelf possibilities for those who can't).

We can't all stock our entire basement or spare room with boxes of canned goods etc, but that would be excessive for most people's needs anyway, and most of the stock would go to waste for most people. But if those who can have a few extra items on hand just in case of bad snowstorms, earthquakes, power cuts, hurricanes, bad flu seasons, or whatever is relevant where you live, that helps the individual who has the spares, and the people who couldn't afford extras if they don't have to stand in supermarket queues with as many people trying to buy the same items.

I don't think this is going to turn out to be much different from a yearly flu. One major difference is the difference in panic levels that make it worse. It's a big difference in practical terms for people in Hubei! But the final mortality rate might not end up being very much different from a yearly flu...we don't know yet, hence the worry and the extra precautions being taken.

MW-HZ436_dow_01_20200131125602_NS.jpg

Friday afternoon, the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -1.88% was down 525 points, or 1.8%, to 28,350. The S&P 500 SPX, -1.54% shed 48 points, or 1.5%, 3,235. The Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, -1.27% retreated 110 points, or 1.2%, to 9,188.

MW-HZ290_oil_be_20200130090842_MG.jpg

Coronavirus could hurt demand for crude because China is among the biggest importers of the commodity, putting oil prices on the verge of a bear market.

Airline stocks have been flattened. Shares of United Airlines Holdings Inc. UAL, -3.74% slumped 14.9% so far in January. Delta Air Lines Inc.’s stock DAL, -2.43% slid 4.7% in the month to date and American Airlines Group Inc. AAL, -3.50% shares have fallen more than 6.6%, as both halted flights to China as the coronavirus fears spread.

How the coronavirus outbreak has delivered a shock to stocks, bonds and other assets in January

FMI,
Wrt crude
"Entry into a bear market is defined by a price drop of at least 20% from a recent high."

Cats have their own form of coronavirus that about 85% encounter. In a very small percentage, it can mutate (based on the individual cat’s genes) into the deadly FIP. I bring this up because this has been around for years and their coronavirus has never jumped to us.

Thanks JaneEyre
Waz just googlin' coronavirus in cats,
I love our feline friends,
and thinking about the possibility of all that germy currency.
Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member