Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart to pay special cash bonuses, hire 150,000 workers in response to coronavirus demand

KEY POINTS
  • Walmart said that it would pay special cash bonuses to its hourly employees for working during the coronavirus pandemic.
  • The bonuses will be $300 for full-time hourly associates and $150 for part-time hourly associates.
  • Walmart said it is also hiring 150,000 new associates through the end of May.
106422372-1583253995153rtx7ashh.jpg

A customer pays for her groceries after shopping at a Walmart store ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday in Chicago.
Kamil Krzaczynski | Reuters

Walmart said Thursday that it would spend $365 million to pay cash bonuses to its hourly employees for working during the coronavirus pandemic as customers flock to its stores to stock up on items.

The bonuses will be $300 for full-time hourly associates and $150 for part-time hourly associates. Every hourly associate employed by the company as of March 1 will qualify, and the bonuses will pay out on April 2.

The company will also pay store, club and supply chain associates $180 million for their next scheduled bonuses a month early.

Walmart is the largest grocer in the U.S. and has seen a boost in sales as people buy food, toilet paper, hand sanitizer and other items as they prepare to stay at home amid rising cases of the coronavirus.

Walmart said it is also hiring 150,000 new associates through the end of May to work in stores, clubs, distribution centers and fulfillment centers in response to growing demand due to the epidemic. The jobs will be temporary, but many will become permanent over time.

Earlier this week, Amazon said it would hire an additional 100,000 employeesin the U.S. to meet the surge in demand from online shopping amid the coronavirus outbreak.
I don't know Afitzy about the discrepancy of the cash bonuses they pay their employees and then the bonuses they pay employees compared to what they will pay to store, club and supply chain associates the 180 million. I am kind of confused. Aren't the employees store associates? Anyway, their employees are literally risking their lives every second they are in the stores with the public. The sum seems so paltry to me it is more like an insult. They should be getting substantial hazard pay IMO. They should be getting all the profits Walmart get from their sales of TP, soap, cleaners, sanitizer and what not. Not happy at this at all and I think that for now on instead of saving a few dollars for items from Walmart, I will more carefully choose where I shop (based on compensation to workers).

I don't know Afitzy about the discrepancy of the cash bonuses they pay their employees and then the bonuses they pay employees compared to what they will pay to store, club and supply chain associates the 180 million. I am kind of confused. Aren't the employees store associates? Anyway, their employees are literally risking their lives every second they are in the stores with the public. The sum seems so paltry to me it is more like an insult. They should be getting substantial hazard pay IMO. They should be getting all the profits Walmart get from their sales of TP, soap, cleaners, sanitizer and what not. Not happy at this at all and I think that for now on instead of saving a few dollars for items from Walmart, I will more carefully choose where I shop (based on compensation to workers).

@SkylarSid, 100%. Frontline staff during a time of crisis deserve better from Walmart IMO!

I noticed Lonetraveler had a comment about toilet paper not being available and I have the same question: i mean this is the United States of America- i know people are hoarding but how come Costco and other supermarkets don't have toilet paper? you mean there is a shortage? i read there isn't so what is the deal.
So this is where all the toilet paper went!

Guilford County deputies find 18K pounds of stolen toilet paper

"Deputies with the Guilford County Sheriff's Office discovered 18,000 pounds of toilet paper in stolen tractor-trailer truck during a traffic stop Wednesday."

Yes, I ventured out first time in weeks, to Walgreens. Amazon Pantry delayed by a week, figured I'd try the least populated store. Sure enough got what I needed store was a little swarmed because they had paper products

My son in law was able to find an approved to kill the virus disinfectant at Sherwin Williams of all places! (I wonder who found out they sold it. :rolleyes:)

This is wonderful.

H-E-B gives store employees $2/hour raises during COVID-19 crisis

During all the chaos at grocery stores around the country, H-E-B is giving back to their employees for all their hard work!

The store will be rewarding all hourly store, manufacturing, warehouse and transportation partners $2 an hour Texas Proud Pay, starting March 16 and lasting through April 12.

HEB is a well-known popular grocery chain in TX, and very involved in the community.

I noticed Lonetraveler had a comment about toilet paper not being available and I have the same question: i mean this is the United States of America- i know people are hoarding but how come Costco and other supermarkets don't have toilet paper? you mean there is a shortage? i read there isn't so what is the deal.

I recall from very early conversations that we surmised that supposedly we weren’t going to have to worry about this TP shortages, since production came from the US, Wyoming iirc?

I think it’s likely the demand and keeping up with that production and distribution.

My daughter is stopping by to drop off a few grocery items that she ordered for me. We are doing grocery delivery here and sharing. She has my sweet grand babies with her to get them out of the house for a bit. Their whole family is self isolating due to her being 8.5 mos pregnant, so car rides are big. We had to close the blinds and windows so she does not need to explain to a 2 and 4 year old why gramma and grandpa won't hug them. I am still in a state of shock that we have come to this, and so quickly.

Great news (I think): DH's CoV19 test was negative! Whoohoo! Lots of kissin' going on in the Gardener home today. :D

Now I can go (carefully) search for food. We are out of all fresh produce and meat. We have been eating rice without butter for 2 days. All the stores that have curbside pick-up around me don't have any slots available until next week. I put in a small order for next week at one store as a back-up plan but I'm going to suit up with gloves, a mask, a headscarf, wrap-around sunglasses, a small supply of wipes and drive to the stores to check things out for myself. Any shopping tips? :)

My daughter is stopping by to drop off a few grocery items that she ordered for me. We are doing grocery delivery here and sharing. She has my sweet grand babies with her to get them out of the house for a bit. Their whole family is self isolating due to her being 8.5 mos pregnant, so car rides are big. We had to close the blinds and windows so she does not need to explain to a 2 and 4 year old why gramma and grandpa won't hug them. I am still in a state of shock that we have come to this, and so quickly.

Speaking of, I have had some things delivered and it has been quite a “process”, shall we say, to avoid surface cross contamination.

This is going to sound like @Herat ‘s package directions LOL.

Seriously, I have an area in my entrance where the bags stay. I’m not going to carry and touch the bags the handler used, nor let them rest on my counter and floor.

I am also armed with a spray bottle of bleach water mixture and everything gets sprayed down.

So I have Clorox wipes at the entrance, and with gloves on, each item is wiped down properly, careful not to cross contaminate the fridge handle. You have to be careful wearing gloves bc you may cross contaminate more moo. So I use my judgement, lots of hand washing in between, use elbow to turn on faucet, etc.

I had a beer delivery where I put all the cans in a tub with bleach, then rinsed them all down, etc.

I’m leaving the non cold food supplies at the door for a few days, since we’ve heard these viruses live on surfaces for a while. They are sprayed down at the entrance.

I am meticulously cleaning every item that comes in.

Here’s another thing. It has been a HUGE pet peeve of mine for years when I’ve seen people grab some cilantro let’s say, and stick it straight on the dirty cart, then on the check out roller, then the cashier who has touched money touches it...

My point is I am avoiding produce that people have to touch, and going for packages that are sealed, and the items not directly touched. Moo Jmo.

Last edited:
Great news (I think): DH's CoV19 test was negative! Whoohoo! Lots of kissin' going on in the Gardener home today. :D

Now I can go (carefully) search for food. We are out of all fresh produce and meat. We have been eating rice without butter for 2 days. All the stores that have curbside pick-up around me don't have any slots available until next week. I put in a small order for next week at one store as a back-up plan but I'm going to suit up with gloves, a mask, a headscarf, wrap-around sunglasses, a small supply of wipes and drive to the stores to check things out for myself. Any shopping tips? :)

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Mental Health Suggestion - NYTs has some great recipe options to keep a mealtime routine going during this tough time:

March 18, 2020, 7:00 p.m. ETMarch 18, 2020
March 18, 2020, 7:00 p.m. ET
By Margaux Laskey

Preparing and serving a meal, even a simple one, can bring great comfort.

as-white-bean-tomato-articleLarge-v2.jpg

as-white-bean-tomato-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Ali Slagle’s cheesy white bean tomato bake is made with pantry staples: canned beans and tomato paste.Credit...John Kernick for The New York Times. Food Stylist: Simon Andrews.
There’s no doubt about it: It’s an uncertain and scary time, but you and your loved ones still need to eat, and the act of preparing and serving a meal — even a simple one — can bring great comfort to the cook as well as to the diner. If you have a decently stocked pantry, you can make a wonderful meal out of a few staples. And if you are able to safely get to the store or have groceries delivered to you, your choices are even greater.

Breakfast: There’s something about starting the day with a full belly that makes everything seem like it’s going to be OK. Pancakes, waffles, a Dutch baby, biscuits and muffins are cozy options, and leftovers can be frozen for later. Granola, too. (Top your evening ice cream sundae with it later.) And if you really have some time on your hands, make breakfast an event and whip up a dish typically meant for a weekend, like eggs Benedict, English muffin casserole or biscuits with sausage gravy.

Lunch: If you’re working from home, take this opportunity to make something delicious. (And maybe don’t eat it stooped over your laptop or scrolling through Twitter?) Melissa Clark’s sardine toasts with tomato and sweet onion or grilled cheese with apples and apple butter come together in a flash. If soup is what you’re craving, Alexa Weibel’s easiest chicken noodle soup or Colu Henry’s pasta e ceci will soothe your soul. Or transform that pasta in your pantry into spaghetti with fried eggs or midnight pasta, a bright and briny dish made with capers, anchovies and garlic. …

Read the Full Article
Easy Recipes to Cook While You’re Self-Quarantined
March 18, 2020

Take your own shopping bags or your own cooler and put your groceries in there and not the cart - the virus lives longest on plastic and stainless - good luck
JMO

Wonderful news!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members