Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
GEORGIA

COBB COUNTY, Ga. — Yet another Georgia state senator is confirming that she has tested positive for coronavirus.

Senator Kay Kirkpatrick announced on Friday that she had come down with a fever on Saturday night and, as a physician, immediately self-quarantined and called her doctor.

Second Georgia senator tests positive for coronavirus

Senate at impasse on trillion-dollar coronavirus package
After more than 12 hours of negotiations, top Senate Republican and Democratic negotiators — joined by senior Trump administration officials — were unable to reach an agreement Friday night on a massive $1 trillion-plus bill to rescue the U.S. economy from the growing coronavirus crisis.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) convened the bipartisan discussions on Friday morning, urging both sides to have a deal by the end of the day so the Senate could vote on the package by Monday. But talks will now go into the weekend. And Republicans warned that they would begin drafting their own bills Saturday, even without a bipartisan agreement.

[...]

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/coronavirus-killing-more-than-a-person-an-hour-in-nyc/
The coronavirus killed city residents at a rate of more than one per hour on Friday.

Between just 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., 14 people in New York City died from the virus, pushing the Big Apple’s total death toll to 43.

The toll had been 29 prior to Friday’s jump in deaths.

It was the first time that the city’s single-day toll had hit double digits.

And the city’s Health Commissioner, Dr. Oxiris Barbot, warned New Yorkers that double-digit daily deaths may well become the new normal, at least for a time.

[...]

During that eight-hour period Friday the city’s positive cases also climbed from 5,151 to 5,683.

[...]

HA....what a sweet story...the 5 year old got it

Our 5 year old seems to have deemed himself the local virus warden.
Over the fence to our neighbour:
‘JEAN YOU NEED TO GO INSIDE’
‘Okay I will in a minute’
‘YOU’RE OLD AND THERE’S A VIRUS’
‘I’m not that old thank you’
‘HOW OLD ARE YOU JEAN?’
‘I’m 68.’
‘THAT IS NEARLY 70 JEAN.’
Adam Bedford on Twitter

It's been 8 days since I started feeling bad and 10 days since I've left the house. I have no idea what it's like out there now and half afraid to go out again when I can.

I don't want to alarm anyone. I'm not usually a person who panics. But stay home as long as you possibly can. If you can have something delivered to you-- do that instead. If someone offers to shop for you and leave the groceries on your doorstep with no contact, accept their help and wipe everything down when you bring it in. I meant to fill my car with gasoline but I was so freaked out by the behavior of others that I completely forgot. I have 1/4 tank and usually stay full for emergency situations. I suppose I'll have to go out tomorrow and fill up. At least I can pump my own gas with gloves on my hands and use the car and pumps as a physical barrier to avoid anyone getting near. People are acting strange and there's this eerie feeling in the air out there. I don't like it. I want nothing more than to wake up tomorrow and find out this has all been a bizarre dream.
:(

ETA: And I hope you feel better soon. I'll say a prayer for you.

MOO.

ARIZONA

First Arizona coronavirus death reported in Maricopa County
The first Maricopa County death from coronavirus has been confirmed Friday. Earlier in the day, the number of COVID-19 cases in Arizona had risen to 65, with Cochise County reporting its first one.

Health officials did not release the patient’s name or city they lived in on Friday, but said it was a man in his 50s with underlying health conditions.

[...]

Well, as much as I like to look out the window and see deer while I am working, I actually miss going to work. At home I let my hair air dry (scary looking), no make-up (really scary looking) and just really let myself go. I don't think I have ever stayed home this long before ( a whole week). Some people that I work with are still going to work. I do take my pups for a walk each day and their daily car ride - so I do get out of the house for that.

The realization is hitting and the realization that the end is not in sight is upsetting. I have cut my purse strings since I really don't know how long my job will last.
Anyway, I am getting down in the dumps. This time my favorite cure , Ice Cream, is not working.

I have a big project due at work on Monday and I am behind on it. It is not a life/death type of project. Hard to burn the midnight oil on a project that is needed (but can wait a week or two with little to no impact) and not a life saving project when the world is shutting down.

National shutdown looming?
Breaking: Trump eyes two-week quarantine, only drug and grocery stores open

"President Trump, moving with haste to slow the spread of the coronavirus, is preparing a plan to mobilize the National Guard to help enforce a two-week quarantine of the public if his tough-love efforts so far fail.

The unprecedented action would require everyone to “stay at home,” according to a source knowledgeable of the evolving plan."
Top National Guard general refutes nationwide coronavirus quarantine rumors

A top National Guard general on Friday refuted false rumors of martial law and a nationwide quarantine as troops continue to get called up amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"I hear unfounded rumors about #NationalGuard troops supporting a nationwide quarantine," tweeted Gen. Joseph Lengyel, chief of the National Guard Bureau. "Let me be clear: There has been no such discussion."

WEST VIRGINIA

BREAKING: Bluefield College student tests positive for coronavirus
A Bluefield College student has tested positive for COVID-19. In an email to students, Bluefield College President David Olive said:

"Good evening, Campus Community –

Bluefield College leadership has been notified that a Bluefield College student has tested positive for COVID-19. The student has been home, outside of Southwest Virginia, since Thursday, March 12, 2020 and was tested by the student’s physician earlier this week. Bluefield College immediately notified the Tazewell County Health Department. Their staff has begun a tracing protocol to track the student’s movements while on our campus and determine others who could have come in contact with the student.

We ask that you not panic at this news. Instead, please take a moment to evaluate your health condition. Remember, protocols are in place to assist you in doing this. Please visit the Virginia Department of Health website for these instructions: What to do if you were potentially exposed to someone with confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19)? – Coronavirus.

For students who remain on campus, the Tazewell County Health Department representative said there is no need for self- or mandatory-quarantine.

[...]

Attachments

• italy_us_gap_10.jpg
    italy_us_gap_10.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 14
. Multiple times daily I google to see if there’s any new info regarding ‘airborne’. I believe so much more needs to be discovered about this virus.
Agreed more does need to be discovered. But there is quite a bit already regarding its being airborne (for hours), but sadly no one is paying attention.

Coronavirus lives for hours in air particles and days on surfaces, new US study shows

How long can the novel coronavirus survive on surfaces and in the air?

And if the media and government don't start saying the facts about how dangerous it is for young people in their 20s and 30s - many of whom are hospitalized now without any underlying conditions - it won't stop the spread.

It's much worse for women and people under 60 in the US than it was in China - I don't know why.

I always liked this old time saying... "Worrying is just suffering, in advance".

It could be perfectly fine. There

My God. Seriously? I had no idea it was this bad there.
What on earth are they going to do?
I'm so afraid for them. :-(

Coronavirus moving into least prepared nations in South America and Africa
''DAKAR, Senegal -- The West African nation of Mali has roughly one ventilator per 1 million people - 20 in all to help the critically ill with respiratory failure. In Peru, with more than 32 million people, about 350 beds in intensive care units exist.

The coronavirus is now moving into parts of the world that may be the least prepared. Some countries in Africa and Latin America lack the equipment or even trained health workers to respond.

Many of their nations are slamming shut borders and banning large gatherings in the hope of avoiding the scenes in wealthier countries such as Italy and the U.S., but local transmission of the virus has begun.

Containing that spread is the new challenge. Africa has more than 900 confirmed cases and Latin America more than 2,500, but an early response is crucial as fragile health systems could be quickly overwhelmed.

With such limited resources, experts say identifying cases, tracing and testing are key.

“We have seen how the virus actually accelerates that after a certain ... tipping point. So the best advice for Africa is to prepare for the worst and prepare today,”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa