Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated.... chart.....up up and way US trajectory.
Be careful what you trust online.
Situation Reports – TDEM
From the latest Situation Report 20-0003 COVID-19 2020 SITREP 1 032020.pdf03/20/2020 16:53:20:
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) issued an alert for a malicious fake online coronavirus map. A malicious website pretending to be the live map for Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins University is circulating on the internet waiting for unaware internet users to visit the website. Visiting the website (corona-virus-map.com) infects
the user with the AZORult Trojan, an information stealing program which can exfiltrate a variety of sensitive data. It is likely being spread via infected email attachments, malicious onlineadvertisements, and social engineering. Furthermore, anyone searching the internet for a Coronavirus map could unwittingly navigate to this malicious website.

What is containment? I'm curious how you see that. 20% infected and then we all stay home? To me, containment means "permanent removal of the virus from my workaday world." No schools or public gatherings threatened.

How do you see that happening until we get to herd immunity? (90% of us have already had it).

Containment is where each case of the virus can be traced and all people who have come into contact with the infected person are self-isolating.

BBM. Same situation here in the Southeast US. My small grocery store had about 3-4 people per aisle, plenty of room, but people seemed to bunch up in the aisles and not respect distances. The outer aisles where meat and dairy products have been decimated seemed to be the least busy as everyone took a look at the empty shelves and moved on. Very few shoppers were wearing masks and none were respecting social distancing. I received quite a few open mouthed stares as I darted around with my gloves, mask, wrap around sunglasses and a head scarf to cover my hair and ears. But none of those moved out of my way so I could get the items I needed and just get out of there. People seemed to be strolling and stopping to talk to neighbors they ran into like it was just another vacation day. :confused:o_O

I had to circle the outer aisles of the store about 5 times waiting for some aisles to clear of enough people for my comfort level. By my 5th lap around the store I figured out people only moved out of my way if I coughed a bit behind my mask. I didn't do it on purpose, but I coughed because I was starting to get very warm and having trouble breathing with everything I was wearing. People jumped out of my way when I coughed and they walked in the other direction from me. The same people who were lollygagging and close-talking with one another and didn't budge before when I stood 6 feet behind them waiting for them to move on. That tells me they are well aware of corona virus and all that is going on but they don't have a clue about how it spreads.

It's like they think it can only be spread by actively sick people (fever and cough). I felt like everyone in the store thought I must only be wearing a mask because I'm sick. I'm well right now but I don't want to get sick. And if I happen to have it I could be contagious for a few days before I get any symptoms. I wear a mask and keep my distance to protect myself and to protect my community. I understand many were caught off guard and have no masks and no rubber gloves but it seems like my community doesn't get social distancing at all. Ugh. Sorry for the rant. It's been percolating since my appalling trip to the store. Americans are doomed if people keep acting so carelessly in public. :mad::(
MOO.

I would TOTALLY get out of your way! It's only politeness right now. People will indeed think you are sick, because there are still debates about wearing a mask, otherwise (I understand the impulse though). People are not just careless, they are also heartless.

I hope you don't have to go again soon.

I don't know how to quote @LadyL from the last thread but regarding her post saying that CV came from eating meat... my friends and I (well, most of us are) completely vegan. We have been joking that this wasn't *our* fault! Hey, we have to joke in times like this. That said, please don't take offense if you are a meat eater. We aren't generally judge-y but darn - I have never offended so many in my life as I have when they find out I am vegan. It could be in an online profile and it makes people harass me, send pictures, berate me. Crazy. But yeah - it wasn't out fault! ;)
I hear you! My youngest child, now 22, is essentially forced to be vegan due to food allergies. She ate meat up until a few years ago but she just can't anymore. One of my friends is a health nut and keeps telling me she needs to eat this, eat that. I just roll my eyes. For the love of pete, the child eats the healthiest diet one could choose. She's 5' 10" tall and about 125 lbs.

So to make this response topic related - pet stores that sell fresh food for dogs are considered essential businesses per our state (FL). Shop small, shop local - but only if it's safe to do so.

MICHIGAN

Coronavirus in Michigan: Here’s where we stand as of Friday night
[...]

4th death reported
Officials said an Oakland County resident has died due to coronavirus, bringing the state total to four.

[...]

Whitmer clears up rumors
The governor started off a press conference by clearing up rumors circulating about a lockdown and martial law in the state.

“I am not calling for martial law. That is a rumor and it is false. And it’s dangerous for people to foment fear and put out bad information," Whitmer said.

[...]

MDE says online schooling will not count
After the closure of all K-12 schools, the Michigan Department of Education has received questions regarding instructional time during the school closure period.

On Friday the MDE issued a memo stating online schooling would not count as instructional time.

[...]

Non-essential medical, dental procedures restricted
Whitmer signed an executive order imposing temporary restrictions on non-essential medical and dental procedures.

This order begins as soon as possible but no later than 5 p.m. March 21, 2020.

[...]

State total breaks 500
The state reported coronavirus total is 549.

[...]

5 Detroit police officers have COVID-19
Detroit police Chief James Craig said five officers have coronavirus while 152 are quarantined.

[...]

If online teaching is not considered instructional time, why would anyone bother to complete teaching the curriculum?

We compiled data from three different studies of the case fatality rate by age in #COVID19 patients from China, The Epidemiological Characteristics of an Outbreak of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Diseases (COVID-19) — China, 2020 Italy, Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Italy and the U.S. Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19 and assembled the data into graphs to compare across the different regions Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

The U.S. results are based on a limited data set published by the CDC of the early experience. The results are influenced by a limited amount of testing of mild cases and a tragic and early concentration of cases in a nursing facility where there were a high number of fatalities.

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_223411.png
    IMG_20200320_223411.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200320_223404.png
    IMG_20200320_223404.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 11
National shutdown looming?
Breaking: Trump eyes two-week quarantine, only drug and grocery stores open

"President Trump, moving with haste to slow the spread of the coronavirus, is preparing a plan to mobilize the National Guard to help enforce a two-week quarantine of the public if his tough-love efforts so far fail.

The unprecedented action would require everyone to “stay at home,” according to a source knowledgeable of the evolving plan."

And....if you expect an inheritance, you might wanna keep ‘em around til the markets recover.
Washington Governor Inslee: "Someone asked the other day, 'what's the penalty for a young person going out to a restaurant, or hanging in a social get-together?' And it's true the penalty is that you might kill your grandparent"
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_224040.jpg
    IMG_20200320_224040.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2
Because our government didn't do anything about it at first, and they travel more than the middle states.

It's not a population or closeness thing - China has a greater population and more density of people.

At this point - just the beginning for the US - we have more cases in the US (59) per million than China does (56)*.

This virus IS AIRBORNE.**

The midwest will see cases soaring unless the government lets them know the direness of the situation.

The fact is, the government needs to take this more seriously or it will spread more than ANY other country.

*Coronavirus Update (Live): 275,953 Cases and 11,399 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

How long can the novel coronavirus survive on surfaces and in the air?
How long can the novel coronavirus survive on surfaces and in the air?

Coronavirus lives for hours in air particles and days on surfaces, new US study shows
Coronavirus lives for hours in air particles and days on surfaces, new US study shows

You're preaching to the choir with me, that's for sure. But it wouldn't surprise me. There are so many different strands to this problem (and while the current administration is remiss - in ways never thought possible - the underlying issues are longterm). The US thinks that because it is "wealthy" and everyone can have go-karts or jet skis or skidoos or whatever (or lots of shoes), that we also have good infrastructure and healthcare.

We don't. We squander our national wealth and now we will have to reconsider our preferences. It's very sad that it's now down to "jobs" vs "public health." This is not going to end well for us, and I do hope we can learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member