Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
@10ofRods

690EA33D-54CD-439F-9196-3D2C7AA05E72.jpeg
This lovely gentleman with the “I killed two people” double teardrop tattoo was released from a Harris County prison after a double pinky promise swear with the judge that he would fer sure maybe show up when they wanted him to. Despite not yet a single case of Coronavirus at the prison.

David Cruz, 29, successfully argued to Judge Dasean Jones that coronavirus presented a threat to his health, despite him having no underlying medical condition listed, according to court documents.

David Cruz’s crimes:

Neighbors spotted a Cadillac Escalade speeding away from the home [of Tristan] around 10:30 p.m. that night, which was later identified to belong to Cruz, prosecutors said in court Wednesday.

Christian Tristan was found dead in a pool of blood just inside the doorway of his home Tuesday morning after Cruz's sister and father investigated Cruz’s admission to his brother, father and sister that he shot Tristian. Cruz tossed the murder weapon over a bridge.

Homicide detectives found the slain Tristan, shot in the back of the head.

Cruz had served a prior five-year prison sentence for Failure to Stop and Render Aid after a car accident that resulted in the death of Anthony Story in 2011. Records indicate Cruz was also twice arrested for Driving While Intoxicated in 2017.

In 2011, Cruz was driving a green Hyundai Sonata in the 3800 block of Broadway when he crashed into another car, according to court documents. Instead of stopping at the crash, Cruz sped away for nearly two miles towards a friend's apartment in the 7900 block of Stone.

There, he discarded four beer cans and left the three injured passengers inside the car without calling for help, according to court documents. One of the passengers inside the Sonata – 17-year-old Anthony Story – died because of the crash.

Police: Houston man confesses to family that he killed friend in city’s East End

Man facing murder charge argues fear of coronavirus, gets out of Harris County jail

Anyone else spending their birthday while in quarantine? Mine is coming up and I am up for suggestions.
My husband will be 68 0n Thursday. This will be the first time in 37 years that I know of, that he won't be celebrating with friends and family.

I haven't even been able to find flour for weeks. But today I successfully received cake mix and powdered sugar in my instacart delivery. :)

So I will be able to bake him a cake. And I found a Mickey Mouse Birthday candle I had bought for our granddaughters birthday a few years ago. LMAO

So we will have cake and whiskey and be on Zoom with our son and his family and our daughter and her boyfriend. It will be a very special birthday because for now at least, we are all healthy and have plenty of supplies and a warm place to sleep.
upload_2020-3-30_0-28-7.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-30_0-27-59.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-30_0-27-59.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
A Republican state representative has filed a measure that would allow people and businesses to sue the governor if they feel emergency restrictions are unnecessary, too broad or last too long.

The legislation comes after Gov. Andy Beshear, a Democrat, has ordered many businesses across the state to be shut down or closed to in-person traffic during the coronavirus pandemic.

Rep. Savannah Maddox, a Republican from Dry Ridge and the measure’s sponsor, said in an email that it would protect Kentucky workers and business owners from government overreach.
Lawmaker Wants To Allow People To Sue Over Beshear's Coronavirus Orders

I'm sure there is a much better way to spend the state's money. Rep Maddox, if she put her mind to it, could likely think of something more practical, like maybe encourage the state to assist unemployed folks pay the rent, or buy food.

With all respect.
We have a pandemic. Do we really need to discuss every single person testing positive?

Respectfully, I don’t understand why you object to this post about a worker at a Target in Montana. It’s not “every single person.” It’s relevant to a particular community. We haven’t objected to your posts about your restaurant, have we @KALI?

But maybe @Tricia only wants us to post about our personal experiences here? If so, I missed the memo. :) Personally, I’m here for information and if members also talk about their lives, that’s fine. There’s room for all aspects of this pandemic, I hope.

Last edited:
Coronavirus live updates: Costco to temporarily change store hours
Costco to temporarily change store hours
[...]

Beginning Monday, all its warehouses will close at 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and its gas stations will close at 7 p.m.

However, it said some specific locations’ hours would be different.

The wholesale giant said its weekend hours would remain the same.

For its members ages 60 and older and those with physical impairments, Costco has special operating hours from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

[...]

Costco
90671369_10158580374904947_1895915091212107776_o.png

Three hours a week for seniors? Seniors represent about 20% of the population, and they get crammed into 3 hrs a week?

Coronavirus Summary | March 29: Hospitals prepare for surge of COVID-19 cases
[...]

Hospitals are also showing ingenuity in findings ways to treat patients more efficiently, reduce exposure to staff and cut their “burn rate” of critical supplies, including masks, gloves and face shields. At Scripps Memorial La Jolla, the emergency department is using baby monitors to communicate from inside and outside negative pressure rooms where COVID-19 patients are treated.

URL]

Our hospital also put out a request for baby monitors a couple of weeks ago. It's a touch free way for patients to communicate.

Brazil

Bolsonaro threatens to sack health minister over coronavirus criticism
Bolsonaro’s downplaying of coronavirus – and his public call for Brazil to relax quarantine measures and get back to work – have appalled critics and many citizens, sparking nightly pot-banging protests in major cities.

On Friday, the president shrugged his shoulders at the likely deaths, telling an interviewer: “Some will die. I’m sorry. That’s life.”
--------------------
Quarantined Brazilians protest against Bolsonaro from windows and balconies: 'Get out!'
Some came to their windows wielding saucepans; others armed with nothing but their voice.

Fora Bolsonaro!” (“Get out, Bolsonaro!”) they yelled into the darkness, as fellow dissenters pounded pots and pans with wooden spoons as a way of venting their spleen against Brazil’s far-right president.
----------------
The immediate trigger for the so-called panelaço protests has been Bolsonaro’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, which he has repeatedly dismissed as hysteria, fantasy and, a media “trick”.

As the virus made its first inroads into Brazil earlier this month, Brazil’s leader sparked outrage by egging on pro-Bolsonaro street protests and mingling triumphantly with fans despite receiving medical advice to stay indoors after being exposed to the illness during a trip to the US.

The feeling I have is that the presidential chair is empty,” said Oliveira, 56. “That we don’t have a president – we have a clown who doesn’t know what he is doing.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...bfe032-710f-11ea-a156-0048b62cdb51_story.html
Local media have counted some two dozen people who tested positive for COVID-19 after traveling with Bolsonaro this month to the U.S. That includes his national security adviser, who this week returned to work at the presidential palace. Bolsonaro says his two tests for the virus came back negative, but he has refused to publish his results.
----------------------
Bolsonaro returned to a hard line of denial Tuesday in an address to the nation. He demanded that life return to normal and people get back to work. His athletic past, he said, rendered him impervious to the virus. The next morning, he told reporters he and his health minister would decide to isolate only high-risk Brazilians – the elderly and those with preexisting health problems. The minister, a doctor who had earned praise for his no-nonsense crisis management, changed his position and said many quarantine measures had been hasty.

With all respect.
We have a pandemic. Do we really need to discuss every single person testing positive?

I completely agree, However, I believe some people will only comprehend the seriousness of the situation when they see that even the rich and famous can't beat this Beast. If that works to get the message out, then preach on.

Fort Lauderdale mayor not ready to accept the coronavirus-hit Zaandam at Port Everglades
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241605286.html

On Sunday, Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis issued a hard not-in-my-constituents’-backyard statement.

“Until I am fully briefed by the Trump administration, and I’m comfortable with their plans, I cannot support the Zaandam docking in my community,” Trantalis said.

Do you recall the how the "Ruby Princess" managed to disembark 2,700 passengers in Sydney Australia, some showing symptoms of Covid, with absolutely no screening or even mention of quarantine. About 900 were international travellers. It was the biggest, single source of infection in Australia.

I live on a remote island in northern Ontario. Our first two positives cases were announced last night - two passengers who had been onboard the Ruby Princess. Who would have thought that our first cases would come from the other side of the planet.

State Department says it's retrieved over 18,000 US citizens stranded abroad amid coronavirus pandemic - CNNPolitics
A group of 14 Americans remain at a hostel in Cusco, Peru, where they have been told they must quarantine because some of the guests there tested positive for Covid-19. They were given a notice that the quarantine could last one to three months.
One of those Americans, Richard Perks, told CNN that "as of right now, there is no end date on sight."
"The other people in this hostel are not following the social distancing rules, and I'm afraid the quarantine will be extended indefinitely," he said.

First post on this thread.

F1 team helps to create coronavirus breathing aid

_111467245_1.jpg
Image copyrightJAMES TYE/UCL
Image captionCPAP devices are less invasive than a ventilator
A breathing aid that can help keep coronavirus patients out of intensive care has been created in under a week.

University College London engineers worked with clinicians at UCLH and Mercedes Formula One to build the device, which delivers oxygen to the lungs without needing a ventilator.

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices are already used in hospitals but are in short supply.

China and Italy used them to help Covid-19 patients.

Forty of the new devices have been delivered to ULCH and to three other London hospitals. If trials go well, up to 1,000 of the CPAP machines can be produced per day by Mercedes-AMG-HPP, beginning in a week's time.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has already given its approval for their use.

More at link

State Department says it's retrieved over 18,000 US citizens stranded abroad amid coronavirus pandemic - CNNPolitics
A group of 14 Americans remain at a hostel in Cusco, Peru, where they have been told they must quarantine because some of the guests there tested positive for Covid-19. They were given a notice that the quarantine could last one to three months.
One of those Americans, Richard Perks, told CNN that "as of right now, there is no end date on sight."
"The other people in this hostel are not following the social distancing rules, and I'm afraid the quarantine will be extended indefinitely," he said.

That sounds like it might be the same hostel where there are 9 Canadians stuck. It sounds like a terrible situation for close to 100 travelers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/peru-coronavirus-quebecers-stranded-1.5513838

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500