Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! I was about to post this same article. There was always a reason to be highly skeptical of the “official numbers,” but there now seems to be quite a bit of evidence that not only are the numbers off, but aren’t even remotely close to reality.

I guess the focus needs to be on the actions of the western world, atleast in regards to what containment and treatment measures seem to be working.

China isn’t a good model for that, because it requires transparency, and quite bluntly, the damn truth.

That’s horrible!
From your link...the 86 year old woman was assaulted by a criminal:
According to the Daily News, Marshall was in the hospital for a bowel obstruction and grabbed onto a metal stand while making her way down the hallway.
That’s when a woman identified by the newspaper as 32-year-old Cassandra Lundy, a seizure patient in a bed nearby, began complaining Marshall was not following social distancing. Lundy allegedly hit Marshall over the head, knocking her to the ground. She was pronounced dead at 5:40 p.m.
Lundy was issued a disorderly conduct summons by hospital police and was released before NYPD arrived, the Daily News reported, citing unnamed police sources. She lives in Bedford-Stuyvesant and has 17 prior arrests, on charges including drug possession, trespassing, assault and strangulation.
BBM
Unreal! Can’t believe Lundy was only given a disorderly conduct summons and released! MOO

I can't believe my eyes, the pictures of these folks crowded together. I realize this is a special event to see the Comfort as it enters the harbour...but really. Where are the police?

Help at last: Navy hospital ship the USNS Comfort docks in New York harbor | Daily Mail Online

Crowds gathered to watch the USNS Comfort, a Navy hospital ship with 1,000 beds for patients, arriving in New York City to alleviate the strain on the city's hospitals as it continues to battle the coronavirus pandemic - despite being warned to stay at home.

On Monday, crowds gathered near Pier 90 to watch the Comfort arrive.

WHO releases guidelines to help countries maintain essential health services during the COVID-19 pandemic

30 March 2020
News release

——

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/maintaining-essential-health-services-and-systems

“COVID-19: Operational guidance for maintaining essential health services during an outbreak

When health systems are overwhelmed, both direct mortality from an outbreak and indirect mortality from vaccine-preventable and treatable conditions increase dramatically. Countries will need to make difficult decisions to balance the demands of responding directly to COVID-19, while simultaneously engaging in strategic planning and coordinated action to maintain essential health service delivery, mitigating the risk of system collapse. This document expands on the content of the Operational planning guidelines to support country preparedness and response, and provides guidance on a set of targeted immediate actions that countries should consider at national, regional, and local level to reorganize and maintain access to high-quality essential health services for all.”

- Link

——-

Guiding principles for immunization activities during the COVID-19 pandemic

“Immunization is an essential health service which may be affected by the current COVID-19 pandemic. Disruption of immunization services, even for brief periods, will result in increased numbers of susceptible individuals and raise the likelihood of outbreak-prone vaccine preventable diseases (VPDs) such as measles. Today WHO issues guidance on immunization services during the COVID-19 pandemic. This document provides guiding principles and considerations to support countries in their decision-making regarding provision of immunization services during the COVID-19 pandemic and is reviewed and endorsed by the WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization. The guidance includes advice on the importance of maintaining safe immunization services. If immunization services are disrupted, it is important to plan for urgent catch-up vaccination of missed children when physical distancing measures are lifted. The guidance further recommends temporary suspension of preventive mass vaccination campaigns and provides advice on conducting careful risk assessment before implementing outbreak response vaccination, with attention to appropriate protective measures to avoid transmission of the COVID-19 virus.”

- Link

Ha! I was about to post this same article. There was always a reason to be highly skeptical of the “official numbers,” but there now seems to be quite a bit of evidence that not only are the numbers off, but aren’t even remotely close to reality.

I guess the focus needs to be on the actions of the western world, atleast in regards to what containment and treatment measures seem to be working.

China isn’t a good model for that, because it requires transparency, and quite bluntly, the damn truth.

Yes - very true. Anyone who was looking to China for its positive outcomes should look again.

I'm sitting here shaking my head at some of our beloved states. So many correlations between previous health issues (obesity, heart disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, high blood pressure) AND having faster transmission rates. The educational attainment levels of those states are poor, as well.

It's very sad. The people who live in those states need strong leadership to get them out of this without higher death rates than in, say, Massachusetts or California.

The situation in Ohio is alarming, as they are so far into an exponential curve, I do not see how they have any choice but to accept a higher mortality rate (like Italy's) over a shorter period of time.

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne. . . ARRESTED and JAILED!
Pastor of Tampa church that held two large Sunday services arrested, jailed
TAMPA — The pastor of a Tampa megachurch who held two services on Sunday for scores of worshipers was arrested Monday for violating a county order requiring residents to stay at home to limit the spread of coronavirus.

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne, co-founder of the River at Tampa Bay Church, turned himself in Hernando County and was booked on charges of unlawful assembly and violating quarantine orders during a public health emergency, jail records show.

Chronister said Howard-Browne lives in Hernando County and was expected to turn himself “any minute now” to the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office, where Hillsborough deputies were waiting.

Sheriff’s Office obtains arrest warrant for pastor of Tampa church that held two large Sunday services
TAMPA — The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office has obtained an arrest warrant for the pastor of a Tampa megachurch who held two services on Sunday for scores of worshipers, violating a county order for residents to stay at home to limit the spread of coronavirus.

“Because of the reckless disregard of public safety and after repeated requests and warnings, I worked with our state attorney, Andrew Warren, to obtain a warrant for unlawful assembly and violation of public health emergency rules, both of which are second degree misdemeanors,” Chronister said. “Our goal here is not to stop anyone from worshiping, but the safety and well-being of our community must always come first."

State law allows the order to be enforced as a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to 60 days in jail, a maximum fine of $500 or both.

Arrest Warrant Issued For Pastor After Sunday Gatherings
The gathering violates the county's "safer at home" order as well as President Donald Trump’s social distancing guidelines and recommendations made by the Centers For Disease Control.

Public or private gatherings, including faith-based gatherings are limited to 10 people or less.

In a statement from earlier this month, church leaders said they felt they were an essential service and would be keeping their doors open.

The sheriff's office advised church leaders of the danger they are putting themselves and their congregation in by not following the guidelines.

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 30 March 2020
30 March 2020

“Good morning, good afternoon and good evening, wherever you are.

The COVID-19 pandemic is straining health systems in many countries.

The rapidly increasing demand on health facilities and health workers threatens to leave some health systems overstretched and unable to operate effectively.

Previous outbreaks have demonstrated that when health systems are overwhelmed, deaths due to vaccine-preventable and treatable conditions increase dramatically.

Even though we're in the midst of a crisis, essential health services must continue. Babies are still being born, vaccines must still be delivered, and people still need life-saving treatment for a range of other diseases.

WHO has published guidelines to help countries balance the demands of responding directly to COVID-19, while maintaining essential health services.

This includes a set of targeted, immediate actions to reorganize and maintain access to high-quality essential health services, including routine vaccination; care during pregnancy and childbirth; treatment for infectious and noncommunicable diseases and mental health conditions; blood services, and more.

That includes ensuring an adequate health workforce to deal with the many health needs other than COVID-19.

For example, we’re pleased by the 20 000 health workers in the UK who have offered to return to work, and that other countries such as the Russian Federation are involving medical students and trainees in the response.

To help countries manage the surge in COVID-19 cases while maintaining essential services, WHO has also published a detailed, practical manual on how to set up and manage treatment centres for COVID-19.

The manual covers three major interventions:

First, how to set up screening and triage at health facilities, using a repurposed building or a tent.

Second, how to set up community facilities to care for mild patients;

And third, how to set up a treatment centre, by repurposing hospital wards or entire hospitals, or by setting up a new hospital in a tent.

The manual covers structural design, infection prevention and control measures, and ventilation systems.

This is a life-saving instruction manual to deal with the surge of cases that some countries are facing right now.

These facilities will also have longer-term benefits for health systems once the current crisis is over.

In addition to having facilities for patients, it’s also vital that countries have sufficient supplies of diagnostics, protective equipment and other medical supplies.

Ensuring free movement of essential health products is vital for saving lives and curbing the social and economic impacts of the pandemic.

Earlier today I spoke to trade ministers from the G20 countries about ways to address the chronic shortage of personal protective equipment and other essential medical supplies.

We call on countries to work with companies to increase production; to ensure the free movement of essential health products; and to ensure equitable distribution of those products, based on need.

Specific attention should be given to low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.

In addition, WHO is working intensively with several partners to massively increase access to life-saving products, including diagnostics, PPE, medical oxygen, ventilators and more.

We understand that many countries are implementing measures that restrict the movement of people.

In implementing these measures, it’s vital to respect the dignity and welfare of all people.

It’s also important that governments keep their people informed about the intended duration of measures, and to provide support for older people, refugees, and other vulnerable groups.

Governments need to ensure the welfare of people who have lost their income and are in desperate need of food, sanitation and other essential services.

Countries should work hand-in-hand with communities to build trust and support resilience and mental health.

===

Two months ago, WHO published the Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan, with an initial ask of 675 million US dollars to support countries to prepare for and respond to COVID-19.

We’re very grateful to the many countries and foundations who have contributed; more than 622 million dollars have been received so far, and we would like to thank the King Salman Center for Humanitarian Relief for its contribution of 10 million US dollars.

We continue to be encouraged by the signs of global solidarity to confront and overcome this common threat.

The commitment of G20 countries to work together to improve the production and equitable supply of essential products shows that the world is coming together.

Yesterday I sent a tweet with a single word: humility. Some people asked me why.

COVID-19 is reminding us how vulnerable we are, how connected we are and how dependent we are on each other.

In the eye of a storm like COVID, scientific and public health tools are essential, but so are humility and kindness.

With solidarity, humility and assuming the best of each other, we can – and will – overcome this together.

I thank you.”

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 30 March 2020

—-

Full Video Briefing including Q & A / Monday, March 30, 2020.

WHO
Press briefings

I can't believe my eyes, the pictures of these folks crowded together. I realize this is a special event to see the Comfort as it enters the harbour...but really. Where are the police?

Help at last: Navy hospital ship the USNS Comfort docks in New York harbor | Daily Mail Online

Crowds gathered to watch the USNS Comfort, a Navy hospital ship with 1,000 beds for patients, arriving in New York City to alleviate the strain on the city's hospitals as it continues to battle the coronavirus pandemic - despite being warned to stay at home.

Putting the stupidity of the crowds aside, the photo of the ship next to the Statue of Liberty is beautiful.

TAMPA — The pastor of a Tampa megachurch who held two services on Sunday for scores of worshipers was arrested Monday for violating a county order requiring residents to stay at home to limit the spread of coronavirus.

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne, co-founder of the River at Tampa Bay Church, turned himself in Hernando County and was booked on charges of unlawful assembly and violating quarantine orders during a public health emergency, jail records show.

Chronister said Howard-Browne lives in Hernando County and was expected to turn himself “any minute now” to the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office, where Hillsborough deputies were waiting.
A topic for future biology students' dissertations will be tracing the clusters of this disease spread by religious gatherings whose "shepherds" disobeyed law and gathered their flocks.

We were just watching a video clip of that and shaking our heads. What is wrong with people? Each group who gets infected will transmit to more and more people, thereby getting rid of the advantage of having the ship there.

I'm beginning to think that migration to places like NYC must be by very extroverted people or that the culture really reinforces enjoyment of mass sociality.

My family in the West tends to live much less social lives, with a strong desire to be on multiple acres and no one nearby. I now feel happy to be in my suburban tract home where even though the schools and gyms are closed, there are plenty of sidewalks where I can walk all by myself, on average seeing 1-2 other people on each walk. We avoid each other, of course.

I could only "like" this post once - if I could I'd give it a hundred likes. All my immediate family is in VA, I'm 2 1/2 hours away from the largest cluster of family, across a state line. They have irresponsibly ignored all common sense and suggestions, stating repeatedly to me, " I wouldn't break the law" One sister, her husband and my other BIL all went shopping last week at Lowes to pick out cabinets, counters, appliances, etc for a kitchen remodel. The same sister sent me a picture a couple of hours ago of a lone wrapped roll of TP she had located after searching multiple stores, with the text "Doing my part". She didn't need this roll of TP - but she was out exposing herself and all others by doing so, while at same time taking away from someone that may actually need it. They have gone on with their lives as usual - this sister even told me last week, she thinks it's being exaggerated! Our mother is 85. My sister and her husband both have severe respiratory issues. Did I mention this sister is a retired RN? Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. I seriously fear I may lose this entire group of my family during this situation.
I think - I hope, my girls and their families appear to be more conscientious and practicing social distancing; if not, then at least they have enough sense to not tell me. Thankfully they are located outside this cluster of family.

I'm in a SW VA small town, every couple of days I ride out to see whats happening, I wouldn't dare think of getting out of my vehicle. I am shocked at the number of young mothers with kids out.

My Grandkids are going nuts, they are confined to their yard, snap chat and FaceTime. My 15 yo granddaughter cried on the phone last night. She said, Grammy 30 more days and I can't see any friends. It's really taking a toll on kids, but they do understand the seriousness.

A topic for future biology students' dissertations will be tracing the clusters of this disease spread by religious gatherings whose "shepherds" disobeyed law and gathered their flocks.

I'm having my students look at that right now. They're enjoying it. There are genes that are posited for both religiosity (desire to be part of an organized religion and attend meetings) and sociality (extroversion).

There are genes for being socially avoidant as well. So...we're seeing natural selection in action. More specifically, people with certain traits are departing the gene pool (although of course, it's mostly people who have already reproduced).

Next year, we can look at how many coronababies there are.

Here is another link explaining options

"But what if a child would qualify as a dependent but you don’t want them to? Can a parent simply not claim the child and allow the child to file a tax return and collect a check? I don’t think so. I believe that if you qualify as a dependent, you're a dependent unless you're otherwise excluded by law. In other words, even if you don’t claim your child on your tax return, that doesn’t mean they’re not a dependent.

Some confusion still swirls around this point. As Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) noted, Congress is trying to squeeze what would have been several months’ worth of work into five days of legislation. There are going to be holes and we will need guidance. Treasury has not yet issued guidance and I suspect that they will address this issue specifically. I expect to see it after the President has signed the bill into law."

I’ll update this article once that’s available. The IRS will eventually post information on its website, but for now, there's just a banner:

High Schoolers & College Students May Not Be Eligible For Stimulus Checks

Thanks! I already filed my taxes and got my return which is how I’m able to be okay financially at the moment thankfully! I’m expecting to get the $500 for my little one but as I read it (could be wrong) my older child won’t get the $500 as a child, nor $1200 as an adult because I claimed him as my dependent. There’s a hole from where I see it- will let y’all know if I find anything out about kids like him

This makes me so sad. I have a many times back grandfather who went on the run with his congregation during the Reformation to save their lives. Another who was martyred.

This guy is the polar opposite of Christianity and it's disappointing.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member