UK, Scotland & Ireland - Coronavirus COVID-19

Totally agree re the walks Chimpface - I work mainly from home when life is normal, so am used to going out each day for a break from the desk. But now that we have a once a day allocation I am appreciating it so much more. I am fortunate that I am not living by a scenic beauty spot so there are no hordes of idiots feeling the need to flock there - walking down residential streets clearly does not have the same appeal for some, but it works fine for me.

11:52

One in four NHS doctors are off work sick or in isolation
Around one in four NHS doctors have been signed off from work sick or in isolation, the head of the Royal College of Physicians (RCP) has said.

Professor Andrew Goddard, president of the RCP, told the PA news agency that about 25% of doctors are off work, either because they have contracted coronavirus or because a family member or housemate is ill. He said:

At the moment, we think it’s more doctors self-isolating with family members, though there are some off sick themselves.”

This is really impacting a lot in emergency departments and London is in a much worse position than elsewhere at the moment, but it will come to other places.

Birmingham is also struggling.”

Goddard said that hospital wards across England are “going from normal wards to Covid wards very quickly”.

He added that intensive care units at some hospitals were “really at the limit”.

It was unclear if the 25% off work would be a “rolling number”, or whether pressure could ease as testing of NHS staff increases and isolation periods end, said Goddard.

“Of course the worry is we will lose more people to Covid-related illness,” he added.

UK coronavirus live: one in four NHS doctors off sick or isolating, says leading medic

Thank you for starting this thread. I’m in rural Lincolnshire. I’ve been isolating for 3 weeks already, apart from the first two weeks where I was still going to the home of the disabled man I work for.
His family took the difficult decision last week to care for him themselves to keep him safe, his team of 8 carers are on standby incase the family can’t manage or get sick.

I am so grateful for the main thread which enabled me to start preparing for this weeks ago. I ordered in extra supplies of the essential PPE and hand gel and meds for work. He’s pretty much stocked up for the next 6-8 weeks. I couldn’t have done that without the advice on WS and it could quite literally save his life.

@HongKongPhooey I hope you start to feel better soon.
A bit of positive news,my friends 12 yr old daughter,a type 1 diabetic is coming out the other side of a very rough 2 weeks with the virus and doing well.

As for the few who seem to think the rules dont apply:mad:,my neighbour's daughter lives about 15 miles away with her partner and baby and she turns up here every day,they all go off shopping together 3 or 4 at a time,and on mothers day they went to visit their grandparents who both have dodgy hearts,with 3 kids under 12 and a baby and one if them works in a school:mad::mad::mad:,their selfishness and stupidity astound and infuriates me!!

@HongKongPhooey I hope you start to feel better soon.
A bit of positive news,my friends 12 yr old daughter,a type 1 diabetic is coming out the other side of a very rough 2 weeks with the virus and doing well.

As for the few who seem to think the rules dont apply:mad:,my neighbour's daughter lives about 15 miles away with her partner and baby and she turns up here every day,they all go off shopping together 3 or 4 at a time,and on mothers day they went to visit their grandparents who both have dodgy hearts,with 3 kids under 12 and a baby and one if them works in a school:mad::mad::mad:,their selfishness and stupidity astound and infuriates me!!
Thanks Kira, day 11 and starting to feel much better hurrah.

That is ridiculous! What is wrong with people :mad:

The numbers are encouraging according to Sir Patrick Vallance (the guy who did the pressers with Boris and Chris Whitty)

Keeping everything crossed we are going in the right direction to flatten the curve

UK coronavirus measures 'making a difference'
I thought the conference was optimistic.

I am hopelessly not political (because they all drive me mad) but I am impressed with our team. V composed, together and somehow reassuring.

My husband has been self-isolating since early days because he takes medication that severely compromises his immune system. He also happens to work for a large cancer trust hospital (he's non-medical) and has been working from home two days a week for the past year or so, so it wasn't difficult for him to switch to full time. Because it is a cancer hospital, other than the most urgent of treatments, they are in protective mode. Making sure their patients stay virus free.

We moved from the US to the UK five years ago. My daughter was 11 and it was a huge change in schooling methods. She's done a remarkable job and has worked so very hard for her GCSEs and now, nothing. No leavers parties, no prom, and no GCSEs. I'm so disappointed for her. Will she be attending college in the autumn as planned?

Thankfully, she does not require homeschooling. I would totally be the day drinker homeschool mum were that the case. There is a reason I did not pursue education as a career path.

It's all well and good encouraging home delivery for groceries, but in my area (Crewe), there are not any slots available. Period. I don't drive here but I am lucky, there is a well stocked retail park across the road that includes an Aldi. I am regretting my disdain for the Grannie's Shopping Trolley and am debating using a suitcase to collect as much food as I can. I am also low on gin.

Mostly, though, I am worried and scared.

@HongKongPhooey , I hope you make a complete recovery.

I don't think there have been shopping delivery slots available anywhere for the past couple of weeks. Obviously most supermarkets release the 3 weeks away date each day but it gets filled immediately as there's so much demand.

I'm glad they're rolling out the essentials box deliveries to people who are in the 12-week quarantine. I believe that there are fewer of those going out than the full 1.5 million who got the letters as not everyone lives alone, so those who are in a house with people who can go and get the shopping for them won't be getting boxes, but if the household only has one or more people who are all in the 12-week quarantine these boxes are going to make such a big difference for the people involved.

Coronavirus: Prince Charles out of virus self-isolation Prince Charles out of virus self-isolation

a bit of good news.

It's good news, but I still wonder where the 7-day quarantine for people with symptoms has come from? In the sense of what is the medical evidence behind it?

I also worry that for some people the breathing difficulties/pneumonia might not start until the second week, and that for some people in the more vulnerable categories they're not automatically out of the woods when they hit 7 days from the first symptoms.

I hope for Prince Charles that his case was very mild and that he won't have any problems like that. I'm just saying that's a general concern of mine.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back