UK, Scotland & Ireland - Coronavirus COVID-19

As an ex-Pat American, I am struck by the fact that the UK government seems much more focused on the individual person v the economy. And the young Exchequer guy (he's quite handsome, a nice surprise) seems sincere and determined.

I agree. I'm certainly not a Tory, but I have been impressed by the response to this crisis. Although I wish they'd pour salt on that superior slug, Gove. He sends shivers down my spine!

Britain's youngest coronavirus victim': Boy, 13, dies alone 'after testing positive in London hospital', fundraiser says

Schoolboy Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab is believed to have died alone at Kings College Hospital in London yesterday, with family members unable to visit him in fear of catching the deadly virus, according to a fundraiser.

He is not thought to have had any underlying health conditions.

Boy, 13, dies alone 'after testing positive for coronavirus in London hospital', fundraiser says | Daily Mail Online

This news is extremely sad.

I agree with all of you regarding the press conferences. Thank you for your replies.

#StayHomeSaveLives

Truly sobering.

Funeral restrictions, online banking scams, and the long-term economic fallout: Today's Covid-19 main points

(Ireland)

As an ex-Pat American, I am struck by the fact that the UK government seems much more focused on the individual person v the economy. And the young Exchequer guy (he's quite handsome, a nice surprise) seems sincere and determined.

I think Mr. Rishi Sunak would make a great Prime Minister. I was shocked that his wife’s family are worth billions. Personally I find it hard to take Boris seriously I think he struggles a bit with serious situations where he can’t be jovial.

I appreciate the honesty of the government basically saying, we're in the *advertiser censored* for a while. But I also have greater faith in their duty of care than I do for the States.

And the scams and con artists, oi. It's going to be baaaadddd.

BUT. People care more about others here, it's not all here's mine eff you Jack. That makes a big difference in the long haul.

Britain's youngest coronavirus victim': Boy, 13, dies alone 'after testing positive in London hospital', fundraiser says

Schoolboy Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab is believed to have died alone at Kings College Hospital in London yesterday, with family members unable to visit him in fear of catching the deadly virus, according to a fundraiser.

He is not thought to have had any underlying health conditions.

Boy, 13, dies alone 'after testing positive for coronavirus in London hospital', fundraiser says | Daily Mail Online

This news is extremely sad.

I agree with all of you regarding the press conferences. Thank you for your replies.

#StayHomeSaveLives

That poor dear young boy and his family. Although it can not ease the family's pain, I truly hope all his healthcare workers shared with him all the love they possibly could under such sad and difficult circumstances.

I see Gove as Boris' Dick Cheney. Ha!

Remove the Cheney and you'd be about right.

Dishy Rishi!

Rishi is my mum's MP and she's met him many times working on local projects. Not only is he quite dishy in real life (she says!) but he's a really friendly and popular chap in the constituency. Talk about being thrown in at the deep end, he's only been Chancellor since February!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Coronavirus: 17 more deaths and 325 new cases in Ireland confirmed

HEALTH OFFICIALS HAVE confirmed that there are a further 325 cases of Covid-19 in Ireland, and a total of 30,213 tests have been carried out.

Another 17 people are confirmed to have died from the coronavirus, according to figures released by the Department of Health this evening.

Of those 17 new reported deaths, the median age is 84, and 8 of those patients were reported to have had an underlying condition.

It brings to 71 the number of deaths from Covid-19 in Ireland; the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases now stands at 3,235.

It's really going for the elderly in Ireland :(

My heart goes out to that poor young man and his grieving family.

Is there no way to at least setup a live stream feed so they can talk to each other in those final moments? surely some enterprising innovator can come up with a better system to enable people to say goodbye to each other.

It's just breaking my heart to read about all these families unable to be there to comfort each other and say goodbye to their loved ones. :(

Can I request that we keep the same politics rules in here as the main thread?

I know Brits are more deprecating of our politicians in general than in some other parts of the world, and I've found a few of these comments funny, but I think they're more appropriate for private convos than in here. Same for the comments alluding to the responses of other governments around the world.

As this is a smaller thread, I would hope we could try and self-moderate better than is possible in the bigger threads, and not make more work for the mods and admins!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ecdub
Back