Identified! CA - Laurel Canyon, WhtFem 358UFCA, 20-23, Nov'69 - Reet Jurvetson

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking around here for some time now. This case is really close to my heart because both Reet and I are Estonians. Ever since I learned about this case I keep checking back, hoping for some news.

In my research I haven't come across anything interesting, however, I do find it quite weird that there are still people alive who have actually met these two Jeans and we still don't have their full names? There is this painter, who I understand provided the sketches. Who is also still in touch with Reet's Estonian friend G.G. Then there is the owner of Cafe Image where one of the Jeans supposedly worked and that's where he met Reet. The owner of Cafe Image is active on social media and it takes 30 seconds to track him down. I just cannot believe that this person cannot give any information on Jean. If he employed him, shouldn't he have his full name? Of course there is also a chance that he didn't provide his real name.

I just wanted to add that I am not criticising LEs work and I understand that I don't have the full information on this case. But based on the information I have, I am starting to become a bit skeptical about the whole two Jean plot. It seems too convenient to have 2 POIs with the same common name.

Anyway, I'm just feeling very hopeless today. I feel like we are running out of time and I just want peace and justice for Reet's family.

The owner probably doesn't have any business or employee records. My older sister tossed out all of my dads paperwork when he passed. I believe he had to keep records for 7 years, then they could get purged

I did my DNA, I also have Estonian ethnicity but I'm not sure from which side

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking around here for some time now. This case is really close to my heart because both Reet and I are Estonians. Ever since I learned about this case I keep checking back, hoping for some news.

In my research I haven't come across anything interesting, however, I do find it quite weird that there are still people alive who have actually met these two Jeans and we still don't have their full names? There is this painter, who I understand provided the sketches. Who is also still in touch with Reet's Estonian friend G.G. Then there is the owner of Cafe Image where one of the Jeans supposedly worked and that's where he met Reet. The owner of Cafe Image is active on social media and it takes 30 seconds to track him down. I just cannot believe that this person cannot give any information on Jean. If he employed him, shouldn't he have his full name? Of course there is also a chance that he didn't provide his real name.

I just wanted to add that I am not criticising LEs work and I understand that I don't have the full information on this case. But based on the information I have, I am starting to become a bit skeptical about the whole two Jean plot. It seems too convenient to have 2 POIs with the same common name.

Anyway, I'm just feeling very hopeless today. I feel like we are running out of time and I just want peace and justice for Reet's family.
Welcome to Ws altforj!
The 2 Jeans certainly are a mystery, one wonders if they are real how come nobody can find him/them, or if one or both were murdered too.
Reet's case also hits closetohome for me.
imo.

I am convinced that Reet was murdered by Tex Watson and Bruce Davis. Do you need me to offer some quoted evidence?
I don't think neither Tex Watson or Bruce Davis could charm a 19 year old woman and pose as an attractive, romantic looking man with physical cues to Jim Morrison, though. They're both rather average and broad-boned, different from the romantic and trendy, youthful look that Jean has in his sketches. But it is a possibility.

Is it possible Reet went to Woodstock? Ik she was in California in the summer of ‘69 but it’s never been confirmed.

All these many years later and Manson's handiwork is still being considered and debated. He did achieve his fame after all.

Given that LAPD went to the trouble of coming to Montreal hopefully they went to the limited trouble of checking every Canadian medical school yearbook beginning with Montreal and Toronto. But maybe they didn't. Because if Jean was really a medical student he should be fairly easy to find. But I think it would be fairly unusual in the 60's for a medical student to be working in a café - grants were generous and medical studies (I think) would be a full time profession. I agree with the recent poster that it seems very very odd that nobody can provide a last name for this Jean. He obviously existed I don't think Paul Roberts and everyone is lying. But also nobody seems to be able to come up with a single anecdote about the guy even apart from the name issue.

Question: the eyeglasses found by Reet. How would they get there? Are they suggesting the perpetrator climbed down the embankment perhaps to try to dislodge her body from the bush and lost his glasses in the dark? That Reet for whatever reasons had the glasses or had grabbed them - but I can't imagine them falling so far down, hundreds of feet. LAPD would have thought of all this but I have no idea what it is they are thinking concerning the eyeglasses.

Last edited:
Given that LAPD went to the trouble of coming to Montreal hopefully they went to the limited trouble of checking every Canadian medical school yearbook beginning with Montreal and Toronto. But maybe they didn't. Because if Jean was really a medical student he should be fairly easy to find. But I think it would be fairly unusual in the 60's for a medical student to be working in a café - grants were generous and medical studies (I think) would be a full time profession. I agree with the recent poster that it seems very very odd that nobody can provide a last name for this Jean. He obviously existed I don't think Paul Roberts and everyone is lying. But also nobody seems to be able to come up with a single anecdote about the guy even apart from the name issue.

Question: the eyeglasses found by Reet. How would they get there? Are they suggesting the perpetrator climbed down the embankment perhaps to try to dislodge her body from the bush and lost his glasses in the dark? That Reet for whatever reasons had the glasses or had grabbed them - but I can't imagine them falling so far down, hundreds of feet. LAPD would have thought of all this but I have no idea what it is they are thinking concerning the eyeglasses.

My secondary slightly offbeat theory which I have to be oblique about involves the following. Reet is the older relative of a now famous relative. I think her relation to that younger relative may be much closer than the acknowledged one. I think the person who they sent to check on Reet is part of the puzzle including the puzzle of the eyeglasses. I think this explains the reticence of the family to get involved. I am guessing this was a fairly patriarchal family and when orders were given not to search for Reet all obeyed the patriarch. Sorry for having to be cryptic.

By the way the bra: it certainly had to be introduced or reintroduced into the file years later. If that is the actual bra in the fifth estate show then there is something wrong: it should be drenched in blood given the number of stab wounds assuming those wounds are the cause of death and not post mortem. A mystery anyone have ideas?

There is a clash between the idea that Reet was going to Arizona to see the brother and the story of GG that she is straying after the beautiful Jean in California. Then this brother with the glasses shows up looking for her in CA without success. I would think they would have called the hotel surely first to see if Reet is there at least that is what I would do.

Does anyone have an idea as to why nobody would know more about this Jean? I would like to know more about Reet's earlier boyfriend in Toronto and the aunt she stayed with in Toronto. And where this aunt lived. I am not suspecting this earlier boyfriend.

Another question: what does the pen knife mean? Why that weapon? There are diagrams online of her wounds. What do they mean?

Last edited:
Welcome to Ws Gotcha8!
First to hear about the wound diagrams, is there something particularly unusual about them, do they form a pattern of some consequence?
Earlier in this thread, poster Chorley8 had posed some similar trains of thought..

re post glasses..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/reet-jurvetson-investigation-glasses-1.3850542
reet-jurvetson-case-glasses.jpg

A pair of black prescription glasses was found near the place where Jurvetson’s body was discovered in November 1969. (CBC)
''He was asked to look into the model and prescription of the glasses that were found about 18 metres from where Jurvetson's body was discovered along Mulholland Drive''

''But handwritten notes made by another unidentified LAPD investigator assigned to the task did surface.

The note dated May 16, 1972 — and leaked to the fifth estate — says that police consulted with an optometrist and other sources who advised that the glasses appeared to be for a man who was "very nearsighted."

The prescription was –75 for both eyes "at 20/30 and 20/40." The frames were the Liberty brand, available across the U.S. at the time.

Retired lead detective Cliff Shepard told the fifth estate that he thinks it's "very probable" that the glasses are connected with Jurvetson's death''.

reet-jurvetson-family.jpg

Jurvetson, far right, sits with her brother Tonu, far left, her sister Anne, Tonu's wife, Tiiu, and Anne's husband, Leno. (Jurvetson family)

Last edited:
Welcome to Ws Gotcha8!
First to hear about the wound diagrams, is there something particularly unusual about them, do they form a pattern of some consequence?
Earlier in this thread, poster Chorley8 had posed some similar trains of thought..

re post glasses..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/reet-jurvetson-investigation-glasses-1.3850542
reet-jurvetson-case-glasses.jpg

A pair of black prescription glasses was found near the place where Jurvetson’s body was discovered in November 1969. (CBC)
''He was asked to look into the model and prescription of the glasses that were found about 18 metres from where Jurvetson's body was discovered along Mulholland Drive''

''But handwritten notes made by another unidentified LAPD investigator assigned to the task did surface.

The note dated May 16, 1972 — and leaked to the fifth estate — says that police consulted with an optometrist and other sources who advised that the glasses appeared to be for a man who was "very nearsighted."

The prescription was –75 for both eyes "at 20/30 and 20/40." The frames were the Liberty brand, available across the U.S. at the time.

Retired lead detective Cliff Shepard told the fifth estate that he thinks it's "very probable" that the glasses are connected with Jurvetson's death''.

reet-jurvetson-family.jpg

Jurvetson, far right, sits with her brother Tonu, far left, her sister Anne, Tonu's wife, Tiiu, and Anne's husband, Leno. (Jurvetson family)

I don't drive. If you are very near sighted I assume you don't wear your glasses driving?

Now they say Reet was transported dead sitting up. I can't imagine how that is possible if you were stabbed so many times in the neck or that it would be a safe way to transport someone. Could she have been killed nearby?

LE thinks the glasses are related to the crime. Did the killer go down the hill to retrieve something on Reet's person that he thought would incriminate him? In the photos of Reet in the canyon she appears to be clutching weeds and earth.

I doubt Reet was killed because she looked like Sharon Tate. I don't get the sense Sharon was picked on for her appearance. Anyway in the picture above she looks not like Sharon Tate but much more like a pretty Estonian girl. She seems comfortable with her father, learning on him, the father's posture is certainly uninvolved and distracted.

I don't drive. If you are very near sighted I assume you don't wear your glasses driving
Actually, if someone is extremely near sighted, they wouldn't be able to drive without their glasses. From the sounds of the prescription, whoever's glasses they were, their sight without their glasses would be extremely blurry.

My secondary slightly offbeat theory which I have to be oblique about involves the following. Reet is the older relative of a now famous relative. I think her relation to that younger relative may be much closer than the acknowledged one. I think the person who they sent to check on Reet is part of the puzzle including the puzzle of the eyeglasses. I think this explains the reticence of the family to get involved. I am guessing this was a fairly patriarchal family and when orders were given not to search for Reet all obeyed the patriarch. Sorry for having to be cryptic.

By the way the bra: it certainly had to be introduced or reintroduced into the file years later. If that is the actual bra in the fifth estate show then there is something wrong: it should be drenched in blood given the number of stab wounds assuming those wounds are the cause of death and not post mortem. A mystery anyone have ideas?

There is a clash between the idea that Reet was going to Arizona to see the brother and the story of GG that she is straying after the beautiful Jean in California. Then this brother with the glasses shows up looking for her in CA without success. I would think they would have called the hotel surely first to see if Reet is there at least that is what I would do.

Does anyone have an idea as to why nobody would know more about this Jean? I would like to know more about Reet's earlier boyfriend in Toronto and the aunt she stayed with in Toronto. And where this aunt lived. I am not suspecting this earlier boyfriend.

Another question: what does the pen knife mean? Why that weapon? There are diagrams online of her wounds. What do they mean?

I have a theory that Reet possibly told her parent's one reason for leaving Canada, and then told her friends (Gilda Green, etc.) another. Perhaps, due to her somewhat strained relationship with her immediate family she felt she needed to give an adequate reason to go to California to follow Jean. She might have told her parents the reason for leaving to the United States was to visit her brother in Arizona, when in reality she was going to follow Jean and enjoy the "freedom" of LA and California like so many young people of that era did.

Just a theory but it might explain why there are conflicting reports of her rationale to go to LA. Perhaps both reasons were true, but there is so much information we do not know! If her family had put in a little more effort to find her perhaps this case would have been solved long ago...

I have a theory that Reet possibly told her parent's one reason for leaving Canada, and then told her friends (Gilda Green, etc.) another. Perhaps, due to her somewhat strained relationship with her immediate family she felt she needed to give an adequate reason to go to California to follow Jean. She might have told her parents the reason for leaving to the United States was to visit her brother in Arizona, when in reality she was going to follow Jean and enjoy the "freedom" of LA and California like so many young people of that era did.

Just a theory but it might explain why there are conflicting reports of her rationale to go to LA. Perhaps both reasons were true, but there is so much information we do not know! If her family had put in a little more effort to find her perhaps this case would have been solved long ago...
Welcome to Ws RustyShackleford33!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back