Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's frightening.

My husband has had several Zoom adventures so far, with no hacking yet.

He had some business meetings last week, with no problems. And he 'attended' a couple of cocktail parties with our friends, one in honour of a wedding, that happened with no guests other than 2 witnesses.

Luckily no one hacked that 'reception'---that would have been a shame.

I will warn my son about it--he may have to keep his eyes peeled and remove his 4 yr old daughter if we get hacked. Hopefully not...:eek:
My cousin is an art/architecture instructor at a university and a terrible experience teaching a class via zoom yesterday. The class was hacked by an individual whose conversation was laced with profanity and reenacting a sex act.

If anyone would like a separate thread set up (example: Face Mask sewing, Recipes, or anything else) please reach out to me and I will help put together a thread to include past posts. Thanks.

Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employer Paid Leave Requirements | U.S. Department of Labor

Q and A's expanded regarding the Act:
Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Questions and Answers | U.S. Department of Labor

And apparently there is a "national online dioalogue" set up at:
Check out Providing Expanded Family and Medical Leave to Employees Affected by COVID-19 "Department of Labor" Innovation Community

"On March 18, 2020, the President signed into law the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), requiring certain employers to provide employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. The U.S. Department of Labor's (USDOL's) Wage and Hour Division (WHD) will administer and enforce these provisions. These provisions will apply from April 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.

This national online dialogue, hosted by the Office of Compliance Initiatives in partnership with WHD and the Office of Disability Employment Policy, provides an innovative opportunity for employers and employees to play a key role in shaping the development of USDOL's compliance assistance materials and outreach strategies related to the implementation of the FFCRA. USDOL will use the ideas and comments gathered from this dialogue to develop compliance assistance guidance, resources, and tools, and outreach approaches that assist employers and employees in understanding their responsibilities and rights, respectively, under the FFCRA. The dialogue will remain open until close of business on April 10, 2020."

I am looking at the input on this site and have just finished reading under the State and Local Government Officials section,(Check out Providing Expanded Family and Medical Leave to Employees Affected by COVID-19 "Department of Labor" Innovation Community) a lengthy response and plea from an attorney for the City of Chicago, raising objections to some terms and requirements of the Act, as it applies to City of Chicago employees. Interesting to say the least. Not very much favorable to the employee. I am going to read more, but it appears that this Act might be in for a long fight to appease employers. Pay very much attention to what your State is doing or not doing for you in its compliance of this very important relief bill for employees. Please know that I only named Chicago because I haven"t read further. Not singling out Chicago, but I sure did not like what I read. They want most, if not all City Employees to be in the same category as first responders, and be able to deny them leave etc etc. And the City Attorney wants more clarification and rules regarding parents who need leave to be home with children if school or daycare closed. Un-family-first position to take in my opinion.

US coronavirus death toll soars to more than 4,000 - doubling within THREE days - with more than 40 percent of fatalities in New York

The US coronavirus death toll soared to more than 4,000 last night, doubling within three days, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University.

The number of deaths on Tuesday was 4,076 - more than twice the 2,010 recorded late Saturday - and more than 40 percent of the fatalities were in New York state.

US coronavirus death toll soars to more than 4,000 - doubling within THREE days | Daily Mail Online
Ours (UK) was doubling within 3 days, now it seems to have slowed to doubling every 4 days. Keep an eye on the daily death figures as I believe it is a good indicator. If the doubling slows then it is a good sign measures are working IMO.

This was posted on the last thread and I thought it really good so I am posting this useful non sewing mask that can be made from handkerchiefs or similar sized material. It also shows how easy it is to insert a filter.

Last edited:
Coronavirus: Edinburgh Festival in August cancelled - as Scotland coronavirus deaths rise

• Further 16 people die in Scotland after testing positive for coronvirus, bringing total to 76
  • Edinburgh Festival in August cancelled
  • Spain's coronavirus death toll passes 9,000 as 864 more deaths confirmed
  • UK government tells hospitals to use spare lab space to test NHS staff for coronavirus
  • Two apparently healthy teenagers, aged 13 and 19, die after contracting virus
  • How London's NHS Nightingale Hospital was built in a fortnight
  • Live reporting by Alan McGuinness, news reporter

Coronavirus in Scotland - FM gives daily update - BBC News

Summary
  1. The first minister updates MSPs on the latest coronavirus developments
  2. Nicola Sturgeon tells the chamber that 16 further deaths have been recorded taking the total in Scotland to 76
  3. The Scottish government has dropped plans to hold more trials without juries during the coronavirus lockdown
  4. FM says the temporary hospital at the SEC in Glasgow 'may not be needed'
  5. It will be named the NHS Louisa Jordan - in honour of a Glasgow nursing sister who served and died in Serbia in WWI
  6. MSPs are debating new emergency powers to cope with the Covid-19 pandemic in Scotland
  7. The bill, which should be passed by the end of the day, gives new protection to tenants

I think the authorities deem it non essential. He can stream his broadcasts like the Pope has been doing.
The authorities can deem it non essential and dole out punishments to people for not following what they've told people not to do. However, they can't MAKE people think something is non essential if that's not what they believe.

Seventeen new deaths in Ireland and a garda scam warning as US death toll surpasses China's: Today's Covid-19 main points

(Ireland)

LAST NIGHT, HEALTH officials confirmed that there are a further 325 cases of Covid-19 in the Republic of Ireland.

Another 17 people are also confirmed to have died from the coronavirus.

It brings to 71 the number of deaths from Covid-19 in Ireland; the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases now stands at 3,235.

Here are today’s main Covid-19 points:

• 17 more deaths and a further 325 cases of Covid-19 were confirmed in the Republic of Ireland last night.
  • Gardaí around the country are urging people to beware of a significant increase in the number of con-artists attempting to use the coronavirus crisis to scam money from unsuspecting members of the public.
  • Chief Medical Officer Tony Holohan is in hospital for tests which are unrelated to coronavirus.
  • Gardaí will also be making calls to victims of who reported domestic abuse in the past under a new initiative to protect families during the pandemic.
  • Several thousand Irish people would return home from Canada in the coming days, as the Irish government warns those on short-term visas to book flights as soon as possible.
  • The Justice Department has said that more than 650 new beds have been made available for those in Direct Provision during the Covid-19 crisis.
  • New car registrations for March were down 63% (6,174) when compared to March 2019 (16,687), the Society of the Irish Motor Industry.
  • Minister for Education Joe McHugh announced a contingency plan for all Special Needs Assistants to be available for a new temporary assignment scheme as part of the Government’s response to Covid-19.

rbbm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-young-people-canada-1.5516936
''Younger Canadians represent one in three of all reported COVID-19 cases, and experts say they could be unknowingly accelerating the spread of the virus in Canada and around the world.

Of the 4,186 COVID-19 cases for which the Public Health Agency of Canada has provided epidemiological data, 29 per cent are aged 20 to 39 and four per cent are under 19 — meaning one-third of cases in Canada involve people who are younger than 40.

Canada's chief public health officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, said Sunday that those under 40 made up about 12 per cent of hospitalized cases.

"This statistic is important because it shows that younger age groups are also experiencing illness severe enough to require hospitalization," Tam tweeted.

Steven Hoffman, director of the Global Strategy Lab and a global health law professor at York University, said that while the rates of hospitalization and death for younger Canadians are lower than older age groups, they're not insignificant.

"It's not even close to zero," he said. "Twelve per cent is still a significant number that should make any younger person stop and pause to recognize that this represents a threat not only to elder members of our society, but to everyone."

"There is a reason why school closures are one of the first things that happen in a pandemic," he said. "Schools are a place where social networks collide."

Hoffman said students from different social circles come into close contact with peers and teachers daily, meaning that if a virus were to spread in a school it would quickly jump to many different groups.

"Young people actually play a disproportionate role in infectious disease spread," he said. "And the expectation is that that trend would continue for COVID-19."

SOUTH CAROLINA (crosspost from the SC thread)

TONIGHT (APRIL 1) BEGINNING AT 6:35PM
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - AARP SC is hosting a free tele-town hall for their members and the public that will focus on financial security during the coronavirus pandemic.
AARP SC will share information about the federal stimulus package, South Carolina unemployment, and remaining financially secure during this crisis during this free call.

Top officials and experts who will be join joining Teresa Arnold, the state director of AARP SC, on the call include:
  • Sen. Lindsey Graham
  • Majority Whip Rep. James Clyburn and
  • A representative from South Carolina DEW
The tele-town hall will take place on April 1 from 6:35 p.m. until 7:35 p.m. In adhering to social distancing, the panelist will connect to the call from their respective locations.

How to Join
If you would like to take part in the tele-town hall you can
AARP South Carolina’s “tele-town hall” format calls registrants and invites them to listen to and participate in a “talk radio show” over their phone while also allowing people to call in on their own.

AARP SC hosts free tele-town hall focusing on financial security during COVID-19 pandemic

My cousin is a pilot with the largest airline company in the Netherlands, he wrote to me this morning, "We are still trying to get as many people home as possible. We try to get people somewhere in or near the country they live, and fly back empty most of the time. Emotional flights for everybody. For now I don’t have any scheduled flights left. I still see a lot of people around the globe desperately trying to find their way home but are stuck in countries that are locked down. It breaks my heart but there is nothing we can do."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member