Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Church has been online for two weeks now. Pastor and his wife are the only ones in the sanctuary during filming :)
I'm in California.
That’s great! And I think most churches are doing that. I just think it’s so weird for some governors to exempt churches from not meeting. Why shouldn’t they have to stay safe and keep from spreading too? Church is essential for many people, but like yours it can be done in a safe, smart responsible way. :)

I always preferred watching church services on tv. I could be comfy and drink coffee while listening to the preacher. I hated going to an actual church service. Too many hypocrites for me. I remember women talking about other womens' clothes during the church service.
Now they can gossip about the newest congregation cougher.
Just think if you suddenly had an alert of a lion or a cougar in your hood, you’d stay in, right? Well we have an invisible savage beast on the loose, no one knows where he will next attack, but many do not care. Is an anti government attitude provoking defiance?

Several years ago I developed a dry cough with no other symptoms. A dear friend had recently died of lung cancer so I was understandably spooked. Doc rx'd an inhaler which did nothing, then at my request gave me a tb test and a chest xray to rule out the scary stuff. Nothing found there to explain the cough.

Finally it went away after a course of omeprazole (Prilosec). Apparently the cough was an odd symptom of my reflux...
Yes! I've heard the same from many over the years. It even happened to me. It was an intermittent sort of "tickle" cough that would come out of nowhere. Same thing: reflux. imo

I have been on unpaid furlough since last week, as well as quite a few other clinical and non-clinical employees at the company where I work. Our clinics are not able to perform COVID-19 testing, and we don’t have enough PPE to see sick patients. And we stopped seeing routine visits as well. So our clinics have either closed completely or have severely reduced hours.

I get a little peeved at the assumption that a person can "pay the bills" on the average SS payment, a fund those seniors paid into for decades.

And who are begrudging a one time stimulus check of 1,200 to these seniors.

There are so many poor and impoverished people in this country with no retirement, who live paycheck to paycheck or SS check to SS check. They are people who have worked hard their entire lives but maybe never had the means to prepare or the knowledge to prepare. I wish people didn't begrudge them. So many people are so well off and yet still resent some poor person getting a little windfall.

Why does it bother these people so much? "You" might have savings, investments, a pension. Why resent the poor who always have barely enough. Barely enough to cover their minimal expenses forget excess. They can't even get their teeth fixed when they need it. This $1,200 isn't enough for one person to get a root canal or a crown where I live. It's a drop in the bucket. And it will barely last, certainly nothing compared to the actual need.

When I start to feel envy towards someone else I remember to count my blessings. I don't have a lot that others have. But I do have a lot. I have more than most of the world. I am blessed in many ways. We are entering a period of deep suffering for so many people the world over. Let's rejoice when others are able to rejoice and grieve for others when they grieve.

Our church in small town Tennessee (1 stop light in entire county) held a drive in service this past Sunday. Everyone sat in their vehicles or in a camping chair behind their vehicles, while our pastor spoke through a PA system at the entry way. I was impressed to see everyone adhering to social distancing guidelines. It was actually a very pleasant experience.
That’s creative! :)

I have always believed Covid is airborne, so the letter to WH (linked upthread) surprises me none. I see no other way so many are contracting the virus. Jmo I have no med’ or scientific degree, lol.

Funerals without hugs
  • The Archdiocese of New York and the Archdiocese of Newark in New Jersey – in the country’s hardest-hit area – have canceled all funerals and now limit the number of graveside mourners to the state-mandated 10 people who must keep their distance as the priest offers a blessing at the grave. All services must be in the open air.
  • Cemeteries are setting rules for graveside behavior, with mourners kept at a distance until the burial is complete and cemetery workers leave.
  • With airline travel at a near standstill and mourners reluctant to travel, funeral homes are livestreaming funerals to connect far-flung mourners.
  • Funeral homes are using digital DocuSign to complete official documents, and handling arrangements over the phone or via email.
  • In funeral home chapels, chairs have been removed from rows of seats to keep mourners at a distance.
  • In many locales, the number of mourners has been set to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations: just immediate family of no more than 10 people at a time.

The group created rememberingalife.com as a resource. It includes COVID-19 updates.
Funerals during coronavirus pandemic: No hugs or big gatherings

Can you Now apply for UI? Was lay off welcomed by your peers? A lot of clinics in my area closed for the reasons you mentioned & to halt walk ins wanting Covid tests.
I have been on unpaid furlough since last week, as well as quite a few other clinical and non-clinical employees at the company where I work. Our clinics are not able to perform COVID-19 testing, and we don’t have enough PPE to see sick patients. And we stopped seeing routine visits as well. So our clinics have either closed completely or have severely reduced hours.

Coronavirus: 13 more deaths and 402 new cases in Ireland confirmed

(Ireland)

HEALTH OFFICIALS HAVE confirmed a further 13 deaths from the Covid-19 virus in Ireland along with a further 402 new cases.

Of the 13 new reported deaths, 10 patients were reported as having underlying conditions. Four of the patients were female, and nine were male.

Members of the National Public Health Emergency Team announced the latest figures from the Department of Health this evening.

It brings to 98 the number of deaths from Covid-19 in Ireland. The median age of deaths in Ireland is 82.

The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases now stands at 3,849.

Earlier today, the Public Health Agency in Northern Ireland also announced six more deaths, bringing that total to 36, as well as confirming a further 85 new cases.

It brings the total in the North to 774.

Globally, the total number of cases is edging towards one million, with around 46,000 deaths.

The US has become the worst affected country in the world with more than 215,000 confirmed cases, according to the Johns Hopkins University.

That’s great! And I think most churches are doing that. I just think it’s so weird for some governors to exempt churches from not meeting. Why shouldn’t they have to stay safe and keep from spreading too? Church is essential for many people, but like yours it can be done in a safe, smart responsible way. :)
I agree 100%!! I'm mystified why all Churches are not observing, whether it's been ordered by their State or not. Plenty of ways to observe social distancing, hear the word, tithe, and fellowship with each other. I could go on and give my two cents as to why some Governors & Pastor's are fighting social distancing, but my post would likely be deleted.

Stay safe everyone!!

576B44B7-219A-42D4-920A-E7AA37765A04.jpeg 39BA805A-CCD3-4097-851F-B688940FB6AF.jpeg

How the coronavirus pandemic has DOUBLED in size in a week with almost one million cases of the killer infection now recorded worldwide

The coronavirus pandemic has doubled in size in around a week with almost one million cases now recorded worldwide, figures show.

Data collated by the World Health Organization shows there were 414,000 cases of the life-threatening infection on March 25.

On the same date, around 18,400 people had died, which has now soared to 47,260 - almost tripling within eight days.

How the coronavirus pandemic has more than DOUBLED in size in a week | Daily Mail Online

#StayHomeSaveLives

LOUISIANA

Thursday 4/2
9,150 Cases Reported
310 Deaths Reported
61 of 64 parishes

Wednesday 4/1
6,424 Cases Reported
273 Deaths Reported
60 of 64 parishes

Tuesday 3/31
5,237 Cases Reported*
239 Deaths Reported
60 of 64 parishes

Monday 3/30
4,025 Cases Reported*
185 Deaths Reported
59 of 64 parishes

Sunday 3/29
3,540 Cases Reported*
151 Deaths Reported
59 of 64 parishes

Saturday 3/28
3,315 Cases Reported*
137 Deaths Reported
56 of 64 parishes

Friday 3/27
2,746 Cases reported
119 Deaths Reported
54 of 64 parishes

Thursday (3/26)
2,305 Cases reported
83 Deaths Reported
53 of 64 parishes

Wednesday (3/25)
1,795 Cases Reported
65 Deaths Reported
48 of 64 parishes

Tuesday (3/24)
1,388 Cases Reported
46 Deaths Reported
43 of 64 parishes

LOUISIANA

Thursday 4/2
9,150 Cases Reported
310 Deaths Reported
61 of 64 parishes

Wednesday 4/1
6,424 Cases Reported
273 Deaths Reported
60 of 64 parishes

Tuesday 3/31
5,237 Cases Reported*
239 Deaths Reported
60 of 64 parishes

Monday 3/30
4,025 Cases Reported*
185 Deaths Reported
59 of 64 parishes

Sunday 3/29
3,540 Cases Reported*
151 Deaths Reported
59 of 64 parishes

Saturday 3/28
3,315 Cases Reported*
137 Deaths Reported
56 of 64 parishes

Friday 3/27
2,746 Cases reported
119 Deaths Reported
54 of 64 parishes

Thursday (3/26)
2,305 Cases reported
83 Deaths Reported
53 of 64 parishes

Wednesday (3/25)
1,795 Cases Reported
65 Deaths Reported
48 of 64 parishes

Tuesday (3/24)
1,388 Cases Reported
46 Deaths Reported
43 of 64 parishes

Michigan is way ahead of LA. Latest map Coronavirus map of the US: latest cases state by state

Last edited:
Some good news!! rbbm.
China’s Shenzhen bans eating cats and dogs after coronavirus
''SHENZHEN — The Chinese city of Shenzhen has banned the eating of dogs and cats as part of a wider clampdown on the wildlife trade since the emergence of the new coronavirus.''

''Authorities in the southern Chinese technology hub said the ban on eating dogs and cats would come into force on May 1.

“Dogs and cats as pets have established a much closer relationship with humans than all other animals, and banning the consumption of dogs and cats and other pets is a common practice in developed countries and in Hong Kong and Taiwan,” the city government said in an order posted on Wednesday.

“This ban also responds to the demand and spirit of human civilization.”

“Shenzhen is the first city in the world to take the lessons learned from this pandemic seriously and make the changes needed to avoid another pandemic,” said Teresa M. Telecky, the vice president of the wildlife department for Humane Society International.

“Shenzhen’s bold steps to stop this trade and wildlife consumption is a model for governments around the world to emulate.”

Vent away. Have you had your windows open? Could be pollen. Take your temp every day so you have a record. It's likely just a dry cough as you have been careful.
I am going to do keep a close eye. This really has to be something else. I have not had a realistic exposure. It seriously fly against all we know to be true if I had it. I have sanitized my groceries. Btw.
Pollen count is high but it usually does not bother me.

Ouch. Are people self isolating anyway?

Two weeks ago I told work that I am concerned about the virus and want to work from home. I was told no, and if you want to work from home, get a doctor's note. That was on Friday, March 13. The following Monday, everything changed. Everyone was told to work from home.

Regarding abortions, my daughter is a midwife in Canada with hospital privileges. There's nothing risky about performing an abortion or a birth. Put a mask on the woman having the abortion and the birthing mother, everyone can be safe.
IMO-Iowans are having a very hard time self isolating from what I've read and seen.In the cities anyway. I live in a town of less than 3,000. Alot of people not practicing social distancing here in my town. Not it stores, but walking together and in store parking lots, etc. The last time I left my town was Friday, March 13. Other than the people I live with, I have had contact with only 1 person for less than 5 seconds in the last 3 weeks. I did have to drop something off in town a week ago and wore a glove to do so. Never had contact with anyone then either. Other than the convenience store and grocery store, repair type businesses as far as I could tell most businesses in my town are closed. Some voluntary others by governor reccomendation. Restuarants are doing pick up and delivery only.

Last edited:
We'll reach 1 million cases globally in the next few hours, probably late this afternoon as stats are tallied.

Italy is below 800 deaths for 2 days in a row. Ecuador's entire medical system is completely overwhelmed and the pictures out of Ecuador (including some youtubes) are unbelievable. They are clearly under reporting.

People who die at home without testing aren't being counted, most places.

While some promising treatments are on the horizon, it'll be at least a couple of months before effectiveness is clearly established and there's no word that I see on increasing production on hydroxycholorquinone (which does appear to have a positive effect).

The big problem looming is economic. In the upcoming (enormous?) global depression, many people will die for lack of medical care for conditions other than CV. Crime is already up in New York City (murder and burglary/theft). I sure do hope people can cope with no paychecks because bureaucracies are so slow at providing unemployment. It's very hard to know how to help, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen