Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money can buy you and your family food though. You don't have good health if you are malnourished. MOO.
You know that saying, "money does not grow on trees"??.. Apples do though! In fact, our most healthy foods are natural to the planet, water, fish, fruit, meat. But I don't know anymore. I'm starting to think I'm a different species altogether.
I need to be going to sleep but I'm genuinely concerned. What are overseas media saying about the UK to be so misleading?! It's dangerous to mislead people. Any increase in cases here (as you know Cags) is no way related to pubs or public gatherings. People need to know the truth about this thing. The UK has been on full lockdown for weeks. The two 20 somethings in my house go out to walk the dog and buy milk. Even if they wanted to go to a pub (which they would know better), none are open. Our local closed on 16 March. I just checked their facebook page for the date.
I agree with everything you say! Who ever is posting online about going out to pubs is clearly telling lies! I've not seen any such posts myself mind. Also, it was through CNN and not a UK bulletin that I did learn about people protesting in one of the States. I feel I have to tune in to other Countries news reports to keep myself updated simply because UK News focuses mainly on the UK. I've lost track of time, but I'm certain I am in week 4 of total lockdown! X

Hours of entertainment and some views I’d love ! Thanks for the alert
Thanks. A good reminder.... "we are all in this together"
From your link...

"Among the report’s top recommendations is the need to deliver at least 5 million tests per day by early June to help ensure a safe social opening. This number will need to increase to 20 million tests per day by mid-summer to fully re-mobilize the economy."

IMHO, (acknowledging that delivering tests is not the same as having tests completed) to have 20 million tests per day.... 0% of that happening... therefore will be discounted as an option.

And Dr. Campbell has just uploaded his second video for today

Love his full international views in a single episode.... however, I was soooo eager to get any updates on Africa. I feel that is a story that has just not started yet... But, so far, amazed at the relatively low numbers. Guess I will have to wait until his next one today!!!

I'm not @dixiegirl ... another member has my first part of my name/avatar which I didn't even know until you posted this... not to be confused with me as I am @dixiegirl1035 and never even saw the reference to dixiequeen lol.

I too listen to every single Dr. Campbell and Dr. Seheult video. So much of a learning curve I have done...
hmmmm. confused. I believe when I referred to DixieQueen... I was still commenting on Dr. Campbell... so I think it must have been you that i was intending... I keep wanting to get new curtains for him though...

Last night I was gleaning the reports from South Korea to find out how their practices are the same as our and different than ours. What can we learn from their success? What were their challenges?

At the time of writing the article below, S.Korea had the highest incidence of CoV19 outside of China. The writer divides his findings into the Good, the Bad. and the Ugly.

The Good included having a consistent standard operating procedure (SOP). This was carried out in five steps:
-an aggressive and transparent information campaign
-high volume testing
-quarantine of infected individuals
-treatment of those in need
-and disinfection of contaminated environments

The information campaign was constant, over all media, and gave clarity to what the people needed to do. It helped prevent misinformation and unhelpful practices.

The Bad was that S. Korea experienced their own group of people who would not comply. They were mostly seniors who were suspicious of the SOP, with low science literacy, and with strong political and religious leanings that came into conflict with the SOP. It was interesting in that the younger people were called upon to assist the seniors in compliance.

The Ugly consisted of politicization of the outbreak in the media. S. Korea was on the cusp of an election (held April 15th). Negative political coverage made compliance to the SOP more difficult.

One thing S. Korea learned was that it was vital to bring the religious leaders into the discussion well before an outbreak and to garner their cooperation with containment efforts.

Lessons From South Korea’s COVID-19 Outbreak: The Good, Bad, and Ugly
the article is dated, in this fast-moving time...but it is so valuable to some of the contrasts. "young people having to work the seniors into compliance" was quite a contrast! I just feel South Korea's mastery of contract tracing should be everyone's model. It, in itself is a science.

A good friend has a son and family who have spent the last ten years teaching in international schools in various Asian countries. They are currently in South Korea, and were out and about again weeks ago! There culture is strong, but their duty to stay healthy and work hard to NOT infect neighbors, colleagues and contacts is such a strong cultural norm. It is very admirable, in my opinion. Thanks so much for the post.

If outgoing air goes directly outside, and incoming air comes directly from outside and those vents are not near one another, how does air get from one room to another through the ventilation system? I can understand that viruses can be found in the outgoing ventilation system, but shouldn't there be constant movement toward the outside?
Ok... admitting that some of this information is still going in and out with not enough retention...however, I feel this information is going to have to become strong learnings in these new days. Those of us who worked in big corporate buildings for our careers, always felt that there were "sick buildings" out there....with high numbers of people getting sick with respiratory diseases, as well as more deadly illness.

Just plant sweet peppers. If you want a little spice to make homemade salsa, plant jalapenos. I'm not super tolerant of spicy peppers but with jalapeno if you remove the seeds (use gloves!) it's not very spicy at all. Jalapenos are perfect for a mild to medium salsa. We have an heirloom variety of Kung Pao peppers we grow every year that are super spicy that we use to make hot sauce. I make Kung Pao chicken with them a couple times when I have them fresh but the peppers are way too hot to eat-- we remove them after cooking them whole in the sauce.

MOO.
We plant Anaheim peppers and one called a Mexibelle or Cajun Bell.

But, so far, amazed at the relatively low numbers. Guess I will have to wait until his next one today!!!
I know - strange. But they are desperately poor countries who don't do testing. I'm afraid for Brazil, if COVID-19 gets into the favelas around Rio, it will be a massacre. The Brazilian don't care, they just go to their high rises on Ipanema Beach by helicopter.

Here's an article from 2019 on why more Swedish young people live alone: Why so many young Swedes live alone

Despite the cultural isolation of their young people, I fear Sweden will be quite a tragic situation. We are already starting to see hints of it. Some recent links and quotes on Sweden:

Sweden is seeing an unsettling rise in coronavirus deaths, as comparatively lax restrictions across the country are coming under scrutiny.

The Nordic country had reported 1,540 deaths tied to the coronavirus pandemic, an increase of 29 from Saturday. Last week, the Public Health Agency of Sweden said 1,333 people had died of COVID-19.

Sweden’s figures are considerably more than in the rest of Scandinavia. While its population of over 10 million nearly doubles those of Denmark, Norway and Finland individually, its COVID-19 death toll was up to 17 times higher than those countries, according to reports.

Sweden sees jump in coronavirus deaths with less restrictive guidelines under scrutiny

Sounds tempting – keep your economy going whilst limiting the spread of the disease. Sweden has been the darling of the calls in the west to re-open economies and get back to work. At best, it’s been a risky policy, in contrast to the recommendations of the World Health Organisation and other science published on the spread of Covid-19. But has the bold health gamble worked?

No.

There is already enough data to suggest that a widespread laissez-faire is just a dangerous gamble with human life. Sweden is experiencing a higher death toll than its neighbouring countries. While the Scandinavian countries reported their first fatalities at roughly the same time, at the start of April Sweden had 239 fatalities, now they have 1,540, a 6-fold increase in just under 3 weeks. Meanwhile Denmark has had a 3-fold increase in deaths during they time and Norway 2-fold. In pure per capita terms, the three countries have around the same rate of total infections but Sweden’s mortality rate is much higher, and higher again compared to neighbouring Finland.

And whilst the curve of new infections is starting to flatten in Norway, Finland and Denmark, Sweden’s new infection rate is still rising at a faster rate than its neighbours.

There are now alarming reports, including in the Washington Post, that the virus has spread to one-third of nursing homes in the capital Stockholm, resulting in rising fatalities. There is also little indication that the Swedish economy has weathered the coronavirus economic storm any better than comparable countries.

Read more: Sweden's massive public health gamble is failing | The Thaiger

Like Australia, the country [Sweden] had banned non-essential visitors to its aged care homes.

However, the Government’s advice to aged care homes was that staff should not wear masks or use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) unless they are dealing with a resident in the home, they suspect is infected – and that staff should stay home if they detect any symptoms in themselves.

“The worst thing is that it is us, the staff, who are taking the infection in to the elderly,” one nurse told Swedish public broadcaster SVT. “It’s unbelievable that more of them haven’t been infected. It’s a scandal.”

Lena Einhorn, a virologist who has criticised Sweden’s coronavirus policy, said the Government and its Health agency has failed to acknowledged that staff are the likely route.

“They say it’s very unfortunate, that they are investigating, and that it’s a matter of the training personnel, but they will not acknowledge that pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic spread is a factor,” she said.

Read more: Sweden’s COVID-19 strategy sees 500 residents die in its aged care homes - The Weekly SOURCE

Einhorn was one of 22 researchers who on Tuesday called for Sweden’s politicians to break with the country’s tradition of entrusting policy to its expert agencies, and to seize control of Sweden’s coronavirus strategy from the agency.

She argues that the reason why Sweden has a much higher number of cases in care homes than in Norway and Finland is not because of the homes themselves, but because of Sweden’s decision to keep schools and kindergartens open, and not to shut restaurants or bars.

“It’s not like it goes from one old age home to another. It comes in separately to all of these old age homes, so there’s no way it can be all be attributed to the personnel going in and working when they are sick. There’s a basic system fault in their recommendations. There’s no other explanation for it.”

Tegnell’s colleague AnnaSara Carnahan on Friday told Sveriges Radio that the number of deaths reported from old people’s homes was “probably an underestimate”, as regional health infectious diseases units were reporting that many elderly who died were not being tested.

Anger in Sweden as elderly pay price for coronavirus strategy

I am watching Sweden's number's daily. Here is the daily death count. I don't see a disastrous situation. Note the weekends have a lull in reporting that is picked up mid-week. The results agree very well with the IHME models for Sweden, which has a peak in 10 days. There are no surprises in what is happening. Sweden's per capita death rate is expected to be around the same as Spain, which has had full lockdown (from my previous post).

upload_2020-4-20_10-10-32.png

Most people are appalled by Swedens' approach. And they are making some basic mistakes, IMO. But I am more appalled by never-ending train of misinformation put forth by the media, which is agenda driven and wants to paint the Swedish government as evil for their decision. Which is why most people are appalled by Sweden's approach.

I reserve my judgement on that.

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

For anyone who wanted to get seeds

Modern Sprout seed kits starting at $5

Example
Summer = tomatoes. This super easy-to-grow cherry tomato variety yields endless little flavor bombs all summer long.

Start indoors, then transplant outdoors into your garden. This Cherry Tomato seed starting kit is packaged in a nutrient-rich, biodegradable CowPot that helps heal soil and support healthy plant growth.

Includes organic seeds. Meticulously made in Chicago. Thanks for supporting this small family business!

• Biodegradable and nutrient dense CowPot container: 5” h x 5.25”w
  • Organic Cherry Tomato Seeds; seeds can be started up to two weeks before the last frost date. Tomatoes prefer direct sunlight.
  • Tomatoes will be ready to harvest in 2-3 months.
  • Sprouting and transplanting instructions included.
  • Kit contains seeds, coconut husk growing medium, upcycled cow manure pot, instructions
GROW BAG

A waxed canvas planter that is weather-resistant, durably lined, root friendly and designed with urban spaces in mind. Add plants of your liking and sling over a balcony rail, hang out a kitchen window, or fasten to an outdoor wall.

Thanks for supporting this small family business!

• Waxed and weather resistant canvas
    • Adjustable straps for multiple uses
    • Water-proof liner
    • Metal hardware
    • Specs: 18" x 9"
    • For outdoor use only
Modern Sprout

Waxed Canvas - Navy - Small

View Your Deal

GMA Deals

Not a large selection

placeholder.png

Last edited:
I know - strange. But they are desperately poor countries who don't do testing. I'm afraid for Brazil, if COVID-19 gets into the favelas around Rio, it will be a massacre. The Brazilian don't care, they just go to their high rises on Ipanema Beach by helicopter.

Thank you for a new word! I'm just sorry it describes such poverty and miserable living conditions.

[URL="https://www.foxnews.com/travel/coronavirus-cancellations-delta-air-lines-lawsuit-class-action-refunds"]Coronavirus cancellations: Delta Air Lines responds to class-action lawsuit over ticket refunds[/URL]

The complaint
, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia Atlanta Division, cites a recent notice issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation, which reminded airlines of their obligation to provide monetary refunds for cancellations, even when “flight disruptions are outside of the carrier’s control.”

UW expert: Achieving herd immunity for coronavirus a 'disastrous strategy'

Without a vaccine for coronavirus, could herd immunity ultimately be what protects the population in the days ahead? According to one University of Washington professor, we should be skeptical of any such approach.

Understanding how researchers are predicting spread of coronavirus

UW biology professor Carl Bergstrom points a handful of factors that not only indicate herd immunity isn’t a viable solution, but also potentially a “disastrous” method of quelling the spread of the virus.

“Given the uncertainties we face around the degree and duration of acquired immunity, it is not even clear that one could reach herd immunity for (COVID-19),” he said on Twitter. “But even if one could, the cost in lives would be unacceptable.”

Perhaps skewed due to US and UK are asking folks to stay at home, and only go to hospital when they are in the phase of having low oxygen/difficulty breathing vs. Wuhan "hospital" stats included the isolation "hospitals"?

Yeah, I'd need to see that big study again, but what you've said there is exactly what's worrying me.

I've seen figures of something like 30% or 50% of patients on ventilators over here not making it, it's awful. I don't know if there are any 'official' figures or cohort studies from the UK hospitals? I don't know what stats are for people in hospital but not ventilated.

I'm concerned about deaths at home from Covid-19 in patients who weren't in the highest risk groups.

John Craven‏Verified account @johncraven1
CT’s first rapid testing site is now open in New Haven. @cvspharmacy gives results in 30 min while drivers wait in the Jordan’s Furniture parking lot. Not too busy yet, but it’s picking up

EVz-ND8UMAUBcZ-.jpg

EVz-ND_U0AArsWz.jpg

7:23 AM - 17 Apr 2020

Glad to see this. It should also be part of establishing virus-free zones in your workplace, etc. so there can be a safe plan in effect before lockdown lifted.

Life on the fringes...
New normals. Silly questions. Maybe.

What will happen to NV brothels?
Will Dancing With the Stars go away?
Will movies only show social distancing?
How will airline pilots and co-pilots do social distancing?
Will drinking fountains be only for dogs?
How will Revolutionary War and Civil War reenactments take place?
And, most important, will July 4 be September 4?

also speaking from experience, don't take the clipper off to shave the neck and then forget and start 'clipping' the hair again ... :eek::D

This happened to a dear friend of mine who was playing in an orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall or some such posh place. He got his girlfriend to trim his (jet black) hair the night before the event and of course she did exactly what you said and accidentally put a big bald stripe up the back of his head!

I was reading about the favelas the other day. That's a disaster in the making. It sounds like the gangs have put the favelas on lockdown, though.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

I read without subscribing.

Last edited:
We grew up using peppers in our cooking. For us, Tabasco peppers are hot yet flavorful. It’s not the type of pepper that you’d necessarily slice and eat although I know quite a few people who do. A couple of plants will yield enough to make a year or two supply of chow chow. We keep a few jars and give a few. My husband washes the peppers and chops a couple of onions. The onions and peppers go into a food processor. He then cooks the onions and peppers with vinegar. He cooks the mixture in an old pot outside. The flumes will knock you out. The chow chow Can be added to your serving of gumbo, beans, rice and gravy, etc.
They don’t make the old chow chow like my grandma used to. At least, it’s not sold in any stores I’ve ever been able to find. It’s a must for pinto beans, fried taters, jalapeño cornbread and corn on the cob. Memories...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle