Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

We are out of patience with posters who are ignoring forum guidelines about politicizing. Posting privileges will be removed for those members who continue to violate Tricia's instruction laid out in the above post, in part ...

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.

Please continue discussion here and remember ...

No blatantly political posts.
Do not be rude or argumentative.
Do not discuss other members or enquire as to their whereabouts. Members are entitled to their privacy.

Do not discuss moderators, moderation, or removed posts. Doing so can result in a temporary or permanent ban from Websleuths.

If you state information as fact, you must provide a link to support that fact. No link, no post !!

Members may copy their own posts from the general discussion thread over to relevant, more local threads in other appropriate Covid-19 sub-forums. If you think someone else's post relates specifically to another thread within the forum, please use the Report feature to let Mods/Admins know and we will move it on over for you.

If you wish to start a new thread, please run it by a Mod or Admin for approval.

Stay safe, healthy, strong and be kind to others.

So, we’ve all gone through, and presently go through, different ranges of emotions.

My current state is a feeling of restlessness (and some depression honestly). I imagine I’m not alone in the restlessness, and perhaps the depressed feeling.

I don’t even like crowds and now suddenly I want to go to a concert lol. Must be the aftereffect of The Rolling Stones and all the music today. :)

I have become quite the homebody over the years but I’m so anxious to go out again whenever it can happen. This must be so hard for people who aren’t as comfortable at being at home so much, and especially for those who may have “control issues”.

Will we ever be “like the old days”? I don’t know.

Will this “end” like SARS did? That’s what I’m hoping for, that it just goes away and ends like SARS did. (Obviously we all are, but scientifically the fact that SARS did end gives me hope.)

—-

Looking back on SARS (again)..some recent articles, will post as I come across them.

When SARS Ended

ETA: oh wow the above article coincidentally mentions the Stones cancelling their concerts during SARS...

I like your comment about people with "control issues" having more difficulty with this situation. Those people thrive on making people uneasy so they can manipulate the situation. If they're alone, they're harmless - but very likely seriously uncomfortable with having to live with themselves. If they have a family, that is probably one source for the increased spousal abuse that we read about.

I mentioned that my son has hit his limit today. He was down, didn't care about being careful of the virus anymore, doesn't see a light at the end of the tunnel, doesn't know what direction to turn because he doesn't understand tomorrow. People of all ages are destabilized, but young adults full of dreams and ambitions stopped dead in their tracks are struggling in different ways than those who lived most of their lives normally and therefore somewhat resigned to the possibility the virus will kill them in the next 2 years - having lived a good life.

Hubby is not happy with me as I keep harping on him about this virus. Today, he asked me "What? Are you my Mother"? My, reply, No, I am your wife that will need to take care of you if you get sick.
He's working the front of our restaurant, and his Mum has been deceased for 22 years.
Tonight, I had led on him about his pool plumes, and that when he has to go, he needs to open up all the Windows to air everything out.
I'm losing it...

As I mentioned in the last thread, I’m feeling a little low and restless, but one thing that is really lifting my spirits is all the things I’m getting done around the house. I’m getting things done that have been long overdue. I’ve got the paper shredder out and shredding is liberating. It’s interesting deciding what to shred in the face of this pandemic. Seems I won’t be needing/using certain coupons, etc. under these circumstances.

Anyway just recommending an uplifting project, paper shredding, and reiterating that it’s helpful to get things done around the house.

Imagine when this is over and having everything done you’ve ever wanted to do.

I think we have to rely on inner strength today more than most times, to find it in ourselves to see something beautiful, to think something kind, and to cope with the sudden and unexpected changes that could take a long time to overcome.

Last edited:
So, we’ve all gone through, and presently go through, different ranges of emotions.

My current state is a feeling of restlessness (and some depression honestly). I imagine I’m not alone in the restlessness, and perhaps the depressed feeling.

I don’t even like crowds and now suddenly I want to go to a concert lol. Must be the aftereffect of The Rolling Stones and all the music today. :)

I have become quite the homebody over the years but I’m so anxious to go out again whenever it can happen. This must be so hard for people who aren’t as comfortable at being at home so much, and especially for those who may have “control issues”.

Will we ever be “like the old days”? I don’t know.

Will this “end” like SARS did? That’s what I’m hoping for, that it just goes away and ends like SARS did. (Obviously we all are, but scientifically the fact that SARS did end gives me hope.)

—-

Looking back on SARS (again)..some recent articles, will post as I come across them.

When SARS Ended

ETA: oh wow the above article coincidentally mentions the Stones cancelling their concerts during SARS...

I like your comment about people with "control issues" having more difficulty with this situation. Those people thrive on making people uneasy so they can manipulate the situation. If they're alone, they're harmless - but very likely seriously uncomfortable with having to live with themselves. If they have a family, that is probably one source for the increased spousal abuse that we read about.

I mentioned that my son has hit his limit today. He was down, didn't care about being careful of the virus anymore, doesn't see a light at the end of the tunnel, doesn't know what direction to turn because he doesn't understand tomorrow. People of all ages are destabilized, but young adults full of dreams and ambitions stopped dead in their tracks are struggling in different ways than those who lived most of their lives normally and therefore somewhat resigned to the possibility the virus will kill them in the next 2 years - having lived a good life.

It will be very interesting how this pandemic affects people. The DSM-V is the "bible" of psychological issues. I was working with it today, and started laughing....

Germaphobia: Symptoms, When to Be Concerned, Treatment, and More

Social distancing is a symptom! :D

There may be signs that your fear of germs is harmful to you. For instance:

• If your worries about germs put significant limitations on what you do, where you go, and who you see, there may be reason for concern.

The virus is forcing a lot of paradigm shifts. 10 years ago, a sister in law from China freaked out when a common fly was in the air. Knowing what I know today about China, I wonder why she was so dramatic.

I’m not sure I understand @otto. Surely you aren’t saying that the Chinese should be used to flies because of wet markets or generally unsanitary conditions, are you? Maybe she just didn’t like things buzzing around her head or thought it was a bee.

I’m not sure I understand @otto. Surely you aren’t saying that the Chinese should be used to flies because of wet markets or generally unsanitary conditions, are you? Maybe she just didn’t like things buzzing around her head or thought it was a bee.

What I'm saying is that we were at a farm in the country with normal black flies on the farm. She was quite dramatic about the flies because they carried germs. We humoured her. Yes, I am saying that anyone in Canada who freaks out about a fly on a farm is dramatic. Anyone who grows up in a country where bat soup and endangered animals are on the menu and enjoyed by the wealthy should settle down around fly germs.

I was triaged today. I went to the vet for my pug's allergy meds. Wearing mask & gloves, like everyone else. Barriers forcing us to be 6 feet apart. Dogs with more serious issues taken in first. After an hour, I got my prescription refilled. Brazen stopped scratching herself.

What I'm saying is that we were at a farm in the country with normal black flies on the farm. She was quite dramatic about the flies because they carried germs. We humoured her. Yes, I am saying that anyone in Canada who freaks out about a fly on a farm is dramatic. Anyone who grows up in a country where bat soup and endangered animals are on the menu and enjoyed by the wealthy should settle down around fly germs.

I’m sorry to hear a generality like this, unless she herself eats these things. China is a diverse country with diverse food and customs, as you know. She may be a germaphobe as discussed earlier, causing the drama. I have a friend who would freak out about a fly because of germs. Some people are like that, regardless of their country of origin or what some residents of that country eat.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member