Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou @mickey2942 for that info reference husband's medical appointment! Definitely better time use than prior covid-19 era.

What I can see happening, is that people could be given a specific "check-in" phone number to call from their cars. And buzzed or called back, absolutely no contact with a receptionist. A receptionist could actually be working remotely. All pre check in work, regarding insurance and payment would be done prior to the actual appointment via phone.

And you would be contacted by the receptionist after the appointment to schedule follow up. This could actually be more efficient. Completely contactless medical appointment, aside from the contact with the doctor for the procedure required.

What a bizarre thing to say.

Keeping some things closed (regular doctors' offices) will lead to more death, so I can see making an argument to open up enough for smaller businesses to function. I sure wouldn't want to go sit in a doctor's waiting room for a non-essential appointment, though.

In the less affected counties of California, most municipalities are requiring businesses that want to reopen to obey new rules and submit plans on how they're going to do that (fewer tables in restaurants, reduction in staff on site at the same time, fewer chairs in use in salons, proof of new cleaning regimes, etc)

Is anyone else following the Vegas story? Because it illustrates just how long CoVid is going to be with us.

Do I believe there will be a vaccine tomorrow in UK?

No, not at all. If they rush it through testing (how will they do that??), I will not want to get it.

Are they going to administer it to, say, their entire military and then wait a while to see what the effects are? What if it only works for six months? What if it causes severe consequences for people with certain conditions? If they test on the military, that'll be mostly younger people - whole different immunity ballgame for them.

Before it's approved for use in the US, it will have to go through a lot more testing. I'm gonna wait at least a year.
In the UK the vaccine has already been tested on animals by Oxford University and they have recruited volunteers for the human tests and got all the volunteers they need already. UK govt has funded it with a £45million grant I posted the links yesterday, probably on the last thread now.

It's a small business loan is the problem. Ruth Chris is a crazy expensive steakhouse chain. Harvard speaks for itself. Jmo

Harvard didn't get a small business loan, it received funding through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (in CARES Act).

Here is an 85-page list of the institutions of higher education allocated money through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund in the CARES Act.
https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/allocationsforsection18004a1ofcaresact.pdf

Stanford is asking not to receive the money allocated to them. Stanford University statement on relief funds under the CARES act | Stanford News

Harvard has agreed to use all the money it receives for aid to students. Facing Backlash, Harvard Will Allocate 100 Percent of CARES Act Funds to Student Financial Assistance | News | The Harvard Crimson

It has been posted before but I don't know if there is any truth in it.

It would be hard to explain how China had the genome of CV19 before the outbreak really began, if they weren't studying it. This is a woman with published work. She was studying something like 9 different coronaviruses, not just this one.

In the UK the vaccine has already been tested on animals by Oxford University and they have recruited volunteers for the human tests and got all the volunteers they need already. UK govt has funded it with a £45million grant I posted the links yesterday, probably on the last thread now.
:eek::eek::eek:

In the US we have a Flu vaccine, and we still have the Flu. Why on earth does anyone think that when the vaccine comes out this virus will go away? o_O

Those poor animals have no choice. :(

Coronavirus: 49 deaths and 631 new cases confirmed in Ireland

(Ireland)

THE CHIEF MEDICAL Officer has confirmed a further 49 reported deaths of patients diagnosed with Covid-19 and 631 new cases of the disease in Ireland.

It brings to 16,671 the total number of cases in Ireland while the total number of lab-confirmed deaths from the virus sits at 769.

As of midnight on Tuesday, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre reported 302 clusters in residential care settings, 179 of which are in nursing homes.

Of the 769 deaths in lab-confirmed cases, some 412 are associated with residents of residential care settings, with 348 of those associated with nursing homes.

Data from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) as of midnight on Monday, show that 56% of the confirmed cases at that stage (15,871) were female, while 44% were reported in males.

The median age of confirmed cases at that stage was reported as 48.

Some 2,387 cases involved a person being hospitalised. Meanwhile, some 4,393 cases were associated with healthcare workers.

New figures today show hospitals in Ireland are treating over 700 patients with Covid-19 and that 132 patients are currently in ICU.

The acute hospitals with the most confirmed cases are in Dublin with the figures covering the situation up to last night.

What Is The Real Death Rate Of Covid-19? Antibody Testing Studies Suggest Mortality Rate Is Up To 70 Times Lower Than Official Figures

Official figures show 13% of diagnosed coronavirus patients in the UK die

This is skewed because Britain is only testing the most severely ill patients

Scientists say only way to work out actual rate is through antibody testing

Survey in Los Angeles suggested illness may only kill around 0.18 per cent

Similar death rate found in antibody study in Helsinki, Finland, and Germany

"Coronavirus may kill 70 times fewer patients than official UK death figures suggest, studies have shown.

Britain has one of the worst COVID-19 testing records, meaning a frightening 13 per cent of diagnosed patients in the UK die from the disease.

But this is considerably higher than the real death rate because it does not take into account the thousands of infected people who had mild symptoms.

Scientists say the only way to work out the actual rate is to test blood samples of the population for antibodies, which the immune system makes once infected.

While the accuracy of these tests is up for debate, experts agree they give a much clearer indication of who has previously been infected - and are considered key to easing the draconian lockdowns imposed across the world.

Results of one antibody survey in Los Angeles suggested the illness may only kill around 0.18 per cent of coronavirus patients.

It was based on the assumption that the true number of infections in LA was 330,000, far higher than the 7,994 that official figures showed when the study was published on April 20."

Agree. COVID-19 death rate is often misquoted by the media or politicians to support what they are selling. It isn't known and should never be used as a metric. As you say, it is defined by death % per infected people, and we don't know the number of infected people.

The LA study results were astounding but was deeply flawed in how the subjects were selected. But astounding enough that I have to believe it is being repeated right now in randomized studies. And it can be done pretty quickly to give us our first look at a decent estimate of actual COVID-19 death rate. Which is incredibly important to understand the best approach to stop it.

IMO, the actual death rate may be between 0.2 and 0.4% based on the various flawed information that is out there. Still very dangerous since there is no vaccine.

can’t fix with edit button. Sorry.

It went for another Botox treatment, a freezer full of gourmet ice cream, international travel and a wine cave, not a cellar. Where did you think it went?
A new string of black pearls that are so big that they look fake?

That's what you really think happened? Really?? You don't think the well ran dry because the FEDERAL government give millions and millions of dollars to huge corporations like Shake Shack and Ruth Chris' Steakhouse, publicly traded companies worth billions? Not even a little bit to do with that?

“Health officials said Tuesday that new autopsy results show a patient in Santa Clara, Calif., died of COVID-19 on Feb. 6, several weeks before the United States declared its first novel coronavirus death.

The finding suggests that the virus was circulating in the San Francisco Bay Area earlier than previously thought.”

Autopsy: Santa Clara patient died of COVID-19 on Feb. 6 — 23 days before 1st U.S. death declared

Wow...
@MJPeony , how is it going in Santa Clara County? Look at these articles!!! Wow just wow!!!! And we were talking about whether or not to go to yoga...you guys already had community spread during that time!

So, if you guys already had community transmission in SCC, maybe you weren’t the only ones.

How many other people have died of CV that are not even known...

—-

This goes back to our conversations we all had about some here wondering about being sick in December and especially January.

—-

Again while this is a revelation, it’s also really not. It’s just proof.
I would've bet money as long as a month ago that CA was TRULY the first state where COVID-19 hit. All the international travel, from China and other countries, particularly into LA, I think they may eventually find that CA has had as many or more cases than WA, where the first epicenter was thought to have been.

Coronavirus: California hasn't flattened curve — yet

So. Unlike UK, California has had a much lower rate of CV-19 per capita. We'd like to think it's because we are so amazingly compliant, but a huge factor is that our population density is mostly lower. For the SF Bay Area, it is truly the sensible compliance of so many people that has slowed CV to a crawl. There are still new cases and new deaths, though.

However, just like UK, it looks like we'll plateau at around 90 deaths per day (based on what's happening now and the fact that cases are still increasing by about 3% per day as testing expands). Maybe 60 deaths. That's potentially 300 deaths per month (far lower than UK's plateau amount - which may be 500 per day for a while; that's 1500 per month and as many as 15,000 new deaths by year's end).

This is with continued social distancing and business shut downs.

For the US as a whole, with 1100 deaths since yesterday, that would be 30,000 deaths in the next month. If this is not strictly seasonal, we'll easily be to 75,000 total deaths by the end of May (pretty much matching the 2016-17 flu epidemic). If it is seasonal, then by end of June, maybe 90,000 deaths. Otherwise, as many as 100,000.

Since this virus is clearly far more communicable than the flu, and since it also has severe consequences for many who survive it (organ and tissue damage, etc), this epidemic is going to surpass the effects of the 2016-17 flu epidemic.

Further, as some places reopen their economies, we can expect that "plateau" figure to be a bit higher than it is right now. If it's 1100 right now, and states like Nevada and Texas reopen, it will probably be closer to 1600 (based on their pre-shut down rates).

So the initial estimates of 100-200,000 deaths via CV19 may be closer than we realize, and we probably have at least another 6 months past the end of this year to deal with this.

Those plateau rates need independent study. There may be rural states, counties and cities that get to Zero but that will mean they have to stay as closed off from the rest of the world as possible.

Look for Vegas to be a huge pump of CV-19 as the risk takers flock back in the near future.

“Health officials said Tuesday that new autopsy results show a patient in Santa Clara, Calif., died of COVID-19 on Feb. 6, several weeks before the United States declared its first novel coronavirus death.

The finding suggests that the virus was circulating in the San Francisco Bay Area earlier than previously thought.”

Autopsy: Santa Clara patient died of COVID-19 on Feb. 6 — 23 days before 1st U.S. death declared

Wow...
@MJPeony , how is it going in Santa Clara County? Look at these articles!!! Wow just wow!!!! And we were talking about whether or not to go to yoga...you guys already had community spread during that time!

So, if you guys already had community transmission in SCC, maybe you weren’t the only ones.

How many other people have died of CV that are not even known...

—-

This goes back to our conversations we all had about some here wondering about being sick in December and especially January.

—-

Again while this is a revelation, it’s also really not. It’s just proof.

Yes, I DO feel like I dodged a bullet!! :eek: Those germs were potentially already flying in some people’s deep yoga breaths! (as well as aerosol plumes around the Bay Area. APVLD). My modified hazmat get-up with my N95 mask and gloves on my flight to LA in mid- February ain’t looking too stupid now (hello people in the security line snickering at me).

I’m super curious as to what ends up ultimately being discovered around asymptotic, mild cases, potentially more varied symptoms, etc. The antibody tests will hopefully shed some light on full scope of who has had this.

As for things here in Santa Clara County- about the same. I’m definitely getting tired of walking my same neighborhood streets :cool:. Weather here has been really overcast and cold for quite some time. Today it’s finally warming up and the sun is out. Hooray. The cold grey weather certainly compounded the feelings of cabin fever. Although, really, we all know this is more than “cabin fever”

So I’m getting by day by day. The uncertainty of an end in sight is what really makes it hard sometimes. I can do 6 weeks lockdown, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, etc. But to have no “goal” set is hard- I do so much better with a specific goal. A date to look forward to. Sigh. Not possible here.

I have really started to worry about the economy. No answer to that, but that is one thing that “keeps me up at night”. Sometimes literally.

Speaking of takeout and supporting local business....no more take out for me...I did it once during this crisis and it was a terrible experience. Looking back, I think the lady must be one of those "virus deniers". She runs a local eatery and I called and ordered her dinner special that actually feeds 4 people and was not cheap (there is only one of me and I thought I;ll make that food last awhile)
First off, I asked if I could sit in my car and they could bring it out when I got there....boy....she tried this way and that to get me to come in saying "we are clean, we have sanitzer on the counter"...but she said okay finally.

Then all was fine when the girl bought out the food, but for some reason the owner wanted to do the cc...so I handed it to her, she came back and handed me HER PEN to sign with and I said..."oh no, I've got my own" and she came back with "we wipe the pens down!" all offended...um...lady...you are holding the freaking pen...used my own...then she LEANS into my car (no mask) and proceeds to hold the receipt and explain the charges on it...right in my face....I ended up throwing the food away when I got home.

I do go to a farm stand that has it all figured out...no contact, they load the back of your car, you stay in the car....I go once a week. I'm supporting local that way only.

WATCH: NOLA hospital workers cheer for the 1,500th virus patient as she's released

A video on the Ochsner Medical Center Facebook page showed Kathleen Bennett, 57, as she was reunited with her granddaughter on Monday while a musician who followed behind her played “When the Saints go Marching In.”

Bennett was admitted to the medical center on March 27. After her arrival, she was placed in the intensive care unit and put on a ventilator for 12 days, the hospital said in a news release.

Oh and I finally am getting a deep freezer...its in stock, been waiting forever for one to come in stock...will be getting it from Amazon next week. Its a small apartment freezer, but I need the extra space!

:eek::eek::eek:

In the US we have a Flu vaccine, and we still have the Flu. Why on earth does anyone think that when the vaccine comes out this virus will go away? o_O

Those poor animals have no choice. :(
I guess people will be more inclined to get the CV vaccine due to it being such a killer. Nearly 200k deaths is a pretty good incentive to get it IMO.

I have just been looking at Hong Kong and am amazed they have only had 4 deaths. This article explains why.

(Basically they never believe their government and 97% voluntarily wear masks.)

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

"A major cultural factor behind this is Hong Kong’s experience of the 2003 severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak, in which 299 people died.

It meant members of the public and healthcare services remained on high alert for another infectious disease – and responded quickly when the COVID-19 outbreak began in China.

On the mainland, there have now been more than 82,000 confirmed cases and over 3,300 deaths.

Italy, meanwhile, has the highest death toll in the world, with more than 101,000 confirmed cases and over 11,000 deaths.

Despite this, the perception in Hong Kong is that its coronavirus figures are too high, with even more anger at a government already under fire amid last year’s protests about the region’s independence from China."

Yes Dixiegirl

This is like the "Third Rail" of the Coronavirus financial bills.

Of course it means taxes. So why do my taxes have to increase to pay the $20 million that Ruth Chris steakhouse chain got in the first stimulus package?

And the other fat cat companies, yet our own local stores and restauraunts got NOTHING at all.
Those fat cat companies are very important to the state's economy. Without them, the economy would likely collapse.

Ruth Chris , for example. They have 82 steakhouses, with a combined income of 328 million. If they go under, that is a lot of jobs lost, and a lot of revenue lost for the state's. It is beneficial for all of us taxpayers too try and keep the large, stable companies in business, to help pay their income taxes and to help feed others through their own employees and through the companies they hire as vendors, suppliers, etc.

Those fat cat companies are very important to the state's economy. Without them, the economy would likely collapse.

Ruth Chris , for example. They have 82 steakhouses, with a combined income of 328 million. If they go under, that is a lot of jobs lost, and a lot of revenue lost for the state's. It is beneficial for all of us taxpayers too try and keep the large, stable companies in business, to help pay their income taxes and to help feed others through their own employees and through the companies they hire as vendors, suppliers, etc.
I rather support people than CEOs protecting their own money stashed

We have already cancelled all bookings for our beach house with a full refund, plus 5% of the deposit. It is just not worth it.
We had summer vacation plans and canceled them. One trip was out of the country, and that was a no-brainer to cancel. The other was a closer-to-home road trip within my own state, but just not feeling it, even if things open up by summer. I think we'll stick to day trips this summer, sleeping in our own home, bringing homemade picnics with us....provided my area opens up by summer (hope so!).

Old-fashioned and simple - and that sounds good right now.

jmo

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members