Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine how having soldiers tromping around the seniors homes is going to help keep CoV19 from spreading. Are they planning to stand guard at the doors? Seniors homes have been closed to visitors since back in March, and some even earlier when the flu was going around. Does anyone have any ideas what the soldiers will do? I hope their presence doesn't terrify the residents.
They need people to go in and take care of seniors, right now. At today's presser, the premier said that about 9,000 health care workers are off the job in the province (some are sick, some are scared, whatever other reasons) so they need bodies. The government can't force workers to go back. Hence the army.

Well great. Let's get some independent scientists to interview him, and find out where this really started, and we will not have to worry about conspiracy theories.

He won't be giving any interviews to independent journalists or anyone else, if he wants to live, and if he wants his family and relatives to live.

Governor Pritzker of IL has extended the stay at home order through May 30. He’s also requiring masks, but is loosening up some of the previous closures beginning May 1st. His full remarks are here, but I will also highlight some after the link.

Read Pritzker’s Full Announcement Extending Illinois’ Stay-at-Home Order Into May

We are allowing some elective procedures to resume for the benefit of patients and our hospital systems. But make no mistake: the first priority for our health care system continues to be the health and safety of all Illinois residents. That means preserving bed capacity for COVID patients no matter where they come from. As I’ve said before, we value all lives equally, and that includes the men and women in our corrections facilities. If we find that hospitals are refusing to live up to this obligation, the Director of the Department of Public Health has the authority to investigate and enforce this policy, and will not hesitate to do so.

Also starting on May 1, retail stores that are not currently on the list of essential businesses may take orders online and over the phone and offer pick-up and delivery. We’ve made it more explicit that greenhouses and garden centers may remain open with specified social distancing measures in place.

We will begin a phased re-opening of some of our state parks under the guidance of the Department of Natural Resources for activities, such as hiking and fishing, and boating with no more than two people. Social distancing must be maintained in all activities.

We’re also strengthening some of the public health measures in the order to limit the spread of this virus as much as possible.

Starting on May 1, any individual over the age of two and able to medically tolerate a face-covering or mask will be required to wear one when in a public place where they can’t maintain a six-foot social distance. Face coverings work and we need all Illinoisans to do their part here.

For our essential businesses, including manufacturers, we are issuing new requirements on social distancing and new caps on occupancy.

ETA these rules don’t apply until May 1st

Last edited:
Thank you. I will try that!

We can hang on for another month, as long as we don't pay our landlord and all of our taxes.
those bills are up fast, and they're not going to go away.

"It's a cascading wave." - Kali

Is there a window of time before you call it quits
or can you hang on for another month?

The new coronavirus appears to be causing sudden strokes in adults in their 30s and 40s who are not otherwise terribly ill, doctors reported Wednesday.

They said patients may be unwilling to call 911 because they have heard hospitals are overwhelmed by coronavirus cases.
There's growing evidence that Covid-19 infection can cause the blood to clot in unusual ways, and stroke would be an expected consequence of that.

Dr. Thomas Oxley, a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai Health System in New York, and colleagues gave details of five people they treated. All were under the age of 50, and all had either mild symptoms of Covid-19 infection or no symptoms at all.
"The virus seems to be causing increased clotting in the large arteries, leading to severe stroke," Oxley told CNN.

video

Video: Doctors finds disturbing trend of strokes in young coronavirus patients

Covid-19 causes sudden strokes in young adults, doctors say - CNN
upload_2020-4-23_20-5-4.jpeg
Stroke Association on Twitter

Use the letters in "F.A.S.T." to spot stroke signs and know when to call 9-1-1.
upload_2020-4-23_19-51-10.jpeg
Face Drooping
Does one side of the face droop or is it numb? Ask the person to smile. Is the person's smile uneven or lopsided?

upload_2020-4-23_19-51-31.jpeg
Arm Weakness
Is one arm weak or numb? Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?

upload_2020-4-23_19-51-48.jpeg
Speech
Is speech slurred? Is the person unable to speak or hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence.

upload_2020-4-23_19-52-3.jpeg
Time to Call 9-1-1
If the person shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call 9-1-1 and get them to the hospital immediately
Stroke Symptoms

upload_2020-4-23_19-53-56.png

upload_2020-4-23_19-59-15.jpeg
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Last edited:
JaneEyre said:
Well, this is a bit maddening. We should not have unqualified people at the helm. It can cost lives.
Special Report: Former Labradoodle breeder tapped to lead U.S. pandemic task force

Simply astonishing that a dog breeder is leading the US Pandemic task force. This article from Reuters is a MUST READ - all the way through. The fact that he's a dog breeder is the least concerning part.
Special Report: Former Labradoodle breeder was tapped to lead U.S. pandemic task force

"Harrison, 37, was an unusual choice, with no formal education in public health, management, or medicine and with only limited experience in the fields. In 2006, he joined HHS in a one-year stint as a “Confidential Assistant” to Azar, who was then deputy secretary. He also had posts working for Vice President Dick Cheney, the Department of Defense and a Washington public relations company."
I thought it was a pretty big deal, too. We have to start analyzing why this happened the way it happened in our country. This is part of that puzzle.

Saving Produce and Milk Thrown out

When farmers were forced to throw out their rotting produce and milk was getting dumped by the gallons, John Botti happened to be viewing this report on World News Tonight, April 14th. He said,

"This is wrong, we need to do something!"

The story was about farmers who were pouring mile down the drain and watching vegetables rot in their fields The CV was hurting them too. John Botti, a money manager, decided to call a few friends the very next day and the idea was born. They would send semi-trailors to the nations farms and bring back free food to the people in need.

Cabbage farmers, potatoe farmers in upstate NY, rice in Mississippi, by Saturday there were a dozen more friends and realized the farmers needed help too.
So now they were raising money () to buy the food that farmers were going to throw away.

This tonight is their very first shipment purchased, more than 43,000 pounds of potatoes purchased from a farmer in Idaho, and will be driven by an army vetern arriving in south Bronx food bank by Saturday.

"We can come together, we can come up with solutions to make a difference and we are lighting candles in the darkness."

This has now grown into an operation with three large trucks and hundreds of volunteers and even small businesses donating their relief money from the federal government. Amazing is a good way to describe it.

This is just the beginning
Farms to Food Banks @farms2foodbanks @SteveOsunsami@DavidMuir
We heard your report and we are acting. Our bootstrapped effort is mobilizing 43,000 lbs (and counting) of food from farms to NY food banks. We need your help.
linkedin.com/pulse/farms-food-banks-john-botti…#farmstofoodbanks #covid19 #nystrong

Farms to Food Banks on Twitter

The Plan
Farms to Food Banks

I'll check into it more then. I have tachycardia, pvcs and pacs. All electrical issues, none of them fatal.

Right - I just have pvc's. But I know my family history and probably will not opt for HC, given that there's no evidence it works. I only score 2 points on the risk scale, but I'd go to 5 if I took HC.

I'm waiting for better studies about the Zinc thing (zinc does seem to be very important - but so does potassium).

Covid-19 Contact Tracing

Gov. Cuomo put out a call for volunteers to help with contact tracing for people exposed to the virus who live in the tri-state area. I can’t think of a better group of people to help with this, which requires a degree of detective work. He just said Mike Bloomberg has offered to coordinate this effort, including training.

JaneEyre said:
Well, this is a bit maddening. We should not have unqualified people at the helm. It can cost lives.
Special Report: Former Labradoodle breeder tapped to lead U.S. pandemic task force

Simply astonishing that a dog breeder is leading the US Pandemic task force. This article from Reuters is a MUST READ - all the way through. The fact that he's a dog breeder is the least concerning part.
Special Report: Former Labradoodle breeder was tapped to lead U.S. pandemic task force

"Harrison, 37, was an unusual choice, with no formal education in public health, management, or medicine and with only limited experience in the fields. In 2006, he joined HHS in a one-year stint as a “Confidential Assistant” to Azar, who was then deputy secretary. He also had posts working for Vice President Dick Cheney, the Department of Defense and a Washington public relations company."
So what does this mean? That the US efforts to solve this crisis is going to fail because of this?

I'm trying to understand what the major problem is here.

So what does this mean? That the US efforts to solve this crisis is going to fail because of this?

I'm trying to understand what the major problem is here.
If one reads the article they'll find that it's not, as I stated, just that he's a dog breeder. That's not a big deal. One can be a dog breeder AND understand infectious disease, of course. There are many more major issues; if you read the article they will be quite clear.

The main fact is that he has NO understanding of science at all. He is interested in politics.

Scientists and doctors are not being consulted. When there is a pandemic, we need folks who understand disease, disease spread, and public health. Hopefully that is obvious.

Last edited:
Did you see the article and study I posted yesterday about the Ghangzhou restaurant where the 1 table infected two other tables via the air conditioning. There was a table plan in the article. I think that is a real possibility. Also thinking of the London and NY subway systems with the thru air running through all the carriages.

China now manufactures ventilation ducts with silicon coating (which cuts the life of the virus considerably, perhaps as much as 2-3 hours vs 7 days). China also employs HEPA filters more commonly in ventilation systems for big factories, hospitals and some apartment buildings. People wear masks routinely. I don't know much about their subways and mass transit, but since many wear masks (not surgical masks), I'm sure that helps.

Ventilation is such a large concern that I consider the shared air in most American classroom buildings to be an enormous risk. Kids, of course, will end up being fine (3 deaths in 50,000,000? less than other causes of death in kids, for sure). But universities and colleges have a very different problem.

As do malls, restaurants, gyms, doctors' offices, etc.

Subways lack the basics of airplanes (most commercial airlines do have HEPA filtration). They are death traps and we're seeing France's plateau remain high, IMO, because of subways. New York is the same way.

An aside here: agencies are getting more slow and intermittent in their data submissions to the CDC/own national agencies because workers cannot continue to work 12 hour shifts, 30 days a year. There will be lags in data, which people will interpret as good news. The only good news on that front would be a systematic use of resources to test and report accurately.

I was just looking for a list of when stay at home orders expire in each state. Illinois hasn't been updated yet here.

List: When stay-at-home orders are set to end in 50 states

It looks like Wisconsin has extended its order until May 26th. Illinois has done so through May 30. It will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the states that have joined together in a loose coalition with these two.

And this is the list of the relax estimates for each state.

Chart: When will each state lift stay-at-home orders?

Just read the article. It's not, as I stated, just that he's a dog breeder. Please read it all. There are many more major issues; if you read the article they will be quite clear.

None of us can tell, without scrolling back, which article you are referring to. If you posted it yourself, then maybe direct people to your profile?

That "reply button" would have included what you were responding to, it would be really helpful.

Saving Produce and Milk Thrown out

When farmers were forced to throw out their rotting produce and milk was getting dumped by the gallons, John Botti happened to be viewing this report on World News Tonight, April 14th. He said,

"This is wrong, we need to do something!"

The story was about farmers who were pouring mile down the drain and watching vegetables rot in their fields The CV was hurting them too. John Botti, a money manager, decided to call a few friends the very next day and the idea was born. They would send semi-trailors to the nations farms and bring back free food to the people in need.

Cabbage farmers, potatoe farmers in upstate NY, rice in Mississippi, by Saturday there were a dozen more friends and realized the farmers needed help too.
So now they were raising money (***) to buy the food that farmers were going to throw away.

This tonight is their very first shipment purchased, more than 43,000 pounds of potatoes purchased from a farmer in Idaho, and will be driven by an army vetern arriving in south Bronx food bank by Saturday.

"We can come together, we can come up with solutions to make a difference and we are lighting candles in the darkness."

This has now grown into an operation with three large trucks and hundreds of volunteers and even small businesses donating their relief money from the federal government. Amazing is a good way to describe it.

This is just the beginning
Farms to Food Banks @farms2foodbanks @SteveOsunsami@DavidMuir
We heard your report and we are acting. Our bootstrapped effort is mobilizing 43,000 lbs (and counting) of food from farms to NY food banks. We need your help.
linkedin.com/pulse/farms-food-banks-john-botti…#farmstofoodbanks #covid19 #nystrong

Farms to Food Banks on Twitter

The Plan
Farms to Food Banks
This is some of the best news I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa