Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a dumb question but I’m going to ask anyway. Some states have “hot zones”, or big cities, but the rest of the state is more rural and populated. But the whole state is going by the same rules for stay at home. Why can’t the reopenings be handled on a County by County basis? Or some type of radius “zone” away from the major cities?

I, and a lot of the people I know, feel that by keeping the rural areas under the same rules as the cities with bigger problems, we are preventing those problems from coming here.

I, and a lot of the people I know, feel that by keeping the rural areas under the same rules as the cities with bigger problems, we are preventing those problems from coming here.
True. And Thank You. : )
I also can see that viewpoint. There just seems to be such divisiveness, and I’m trying to see the pros and cons to each side.

This may be a dumb question but I’m going to ask anyway. Some states have “hot zones”, or big cities, but the rest of the state is more rural and populated. But the whole state is going by the same rules for stay at home. Why can’t the reopenings be handled on a County by County basis? Or some type of radius “zone” away from the major cities?
Wouldn’t you need to keep people within that radius zone to do that?
I guess that would work if you closed off small towns and not let anyone in or out - so no exposure from the larger cities? IDK

AAapfVx.img

Airborne coronavirus detected in Wuhan hospitals

Kenneth Chang
3 hrs ago
Adding to growing evidence that the novel coronavirus can spread through the air, scientists have identified genetic markers of the virus in airborne droplets, many with diameters smaller than one-ten-thousandth of an inch.
That had been previously demonstrated in laboratory experiments, but now Chinese scientists studying real-world conditions report that they captured tiny droplets containing the genetic markers of the virus from the air in two hospitals in Wuhan, China, where the outbreak started.

Their findings were published Monday in the journal Nature.
It remains unknown if the virus in the samples they collected was infectious, but droplets that small, which are expelled by breathing and talking, can remain aloft and be inhaled by others.

“Those are going to stay in the air floating around for at least two hours,” said Linsey Marr, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech who was not involved with the Nature paper. “It strongly suggests that there is potential for airborne transmission.”

Dr. Marr and many other scientists say evidence is mounting that the coronavirus is being spread by tiny droplets known as aerosols. The World Health Organization has so far downplayed the possibility, saying that the disease is mostly transmitted through larger droplets that do not remain airborne for long, or through the touching of contaminated surfaces.
Even with the new findings, the issue is not settled. Although the coronavirus RNA — the genetic blueprint of the virus — was present in the aerosols, scientists do not know yet is whether the viruses remain infectious or whether the tests just detected harmless virus fragments.

“The missing piece is viable viral replication,” said Harvey V. Fineberg, who leads the Standing Committee on Emerging Infectious Diseases and 21st Century Health Threats at the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine. “Could you culture this virus from the air?”

Thanks tmar.

Aerodynamic analysis of SARS-CoV-2 in two Wuhan hospitals

“Abstract
The ongoing COVID-19 outbreak has spread rapidly on a global scale. While the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 via human respiratory droplets and direct contact is clear, the potential for aerosol transmission is poorly understood1–3. This study investigated the aerodynamic nature of SARS-CoV-2 by measuring viral RNA in aerosols in different areas of two Wuhan hospitals during the COVID-19 outbreak in February and March 2020. The concentration of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in aerosols detected in isolation wards and ventilated patient rooms was very low, but it was elevated in the patients’ toilet areas. Levels of airborne SARS-CoV-2 RNA in the majority of public areas was undetectable except in two areas prone to crowding, possibly due to infected carriers in the crowd. We found that some medical staff areas initially had high concentrations of viral RNA with aerosol size distributions showing peaks in submicrometre and/or supermicrometre regions, but these levels were reduced to undetectable levels after implementation of rigorous sanitization procedures. Although we have not established the infectivity of the virus detected in these hospital areas, we propose that SARS-CoV-2 may have the potential to be transmitted via aerosols. Our results indicate that room ventilation, open space, sanitization of protective apparel, and proper use and disinfection of toilet areas can effectively limit the concentration of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in aerosols. Future work should explore the infectivity of aerosolized virus.”

In California. Last night's sales at our restaurant were $120.00
Our normal Bill's are close to $30,000. Per month.
We've still received-0- help from our government.
Not the 10k bond, not even the $1200. Each
Our 1st quarter taxes are due now.
We will not come even close.
Here's some info about California's taxes. At least you don't have to worry about state taxes for awhile.

Sacramento – The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) today announced updated special tax relief for all California taxpayers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

FTB is postponing until July 15 the filing and payment deadlines for all individuals and business entities for:

• 2019 tax returns
  • 2019 tax return payments
  • 2020 1st and 2nd quarter estimate payments
  • 2020 LLC taxes and fees
  • 2020 Non-wage withholding payments

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/ne...til-july-15-due-to-the-covid-19-pandemic.html

Qmfr:

Omg look: it’s APVLD! (“Aerosol plumes of virus-laden diarrhea”) Seriously! We already knew this from the Hong Kong SARS cluster. See my BBM.

Thanks tmar.

Aerodynamic analysis of SARS-CoV-2 in two Wuhan hospitals

“Abstract
The ongoing COVID-19 outbreak has spread rapidly on a global scale. While the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 via human respiratory droplets and direct contact is clear, the potential for aerosol transmission is poorly understood1–3. This study investigated the aerodynamic nature of SARS-CoV-2 by measuring viral RNA in aerosols in different areas of two Wuhan hospitals during the COVID-19 outbreak in February and March 2020. The concentration of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in aerosols detected in isolation wards and ventilated patient rooms was very low, but it was elevated in the patients’ toilet areas. Levels of airborne SARS-CoV-2 RNA in the majority of public areas was undetectable except in two areas prone to crowding, possibly due to infected carriers in the crowd. We found that some medical staff areas initially had high concentrations of viral RNA with aerosol size distributions showing peaks in submicrometre and/or supermicrometre regions, but these levels were reduced to undetectable levels after implementation of rigorous sanitization procedures. Although we have not established the infectivity of the virus detected in these hospital areas, we propose that SARS-CoV-2 may have the potential to be transmitted via aerosols. Our results indicate that room ventilation, open space, sanitization of protective apparel, and proper use and disinfection of toilet areas can effectively limit the concentration of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in aerosols. Future work should explore the infectivity of aerosolized virus.”

Rural areas have to worry about in-coming humans. Such areas are virus-virgins (if truly rural - like my hometown was in the 1968 HongKong flu pandemic).

But almost no people leave away from a settlement, and a gas station is somewhere around - so people come in and out. It’s the gas station workers/grocery store clerks/restaurant owners who need to be masked, distancing, washing many times a day - and tested occasionally.

This could keep rates to zero - or virtually zero. This can be expanded to a larger area if everyone cooperates and all roads/methods leading in and out of the place are monitored. I was noticing today that in the very very small town we drove to, they had Sheriffs had either end of town. Only one road goes through. No stop lights. One store and one drive-in, no gas station. No post office. About 1000 people live around that town, many on acreage. Big signs on every side road saying PRIVATE ROAD and some saying ROAD CLOSED to all but locals. We had just been down that road 2 months ago. It’s not legally closed - the sign is not official. The locals put it up.

But if the opposite is true and someone puts a sign that says “bait store” on that one little store and an arrow that says “GOOD FISHING - WE SELL ICE,” it will be crowded just like a certain place about 10 miles away - I could not believe how many people were there even though the county has mandated Stay at Home.

Naturally, the gas station in the next largest town brings all these people together...

It helps a lot if you look at . The numbers.
Imo. None of the numbers, equate to the panic our news media likes to exaggerate.
Imo. Elderly people in poorly run facilities make up close to 50% of our death count.
Why don't our leaders address THIS fact ?
Why don't they do something ABOUT this fact??
All I hear about is locking down the healthy people.
Fix the long care homes!
Let us make a living with guidelines!
Guys. I cannot even tell you how bad financially these decisions by our leaders is going to hurt the USA.

He was sending a message. Or should I say the "Administration's" message. "Hey.....Look at me! No Mask! I'm not worried about this virus, or spreading it, and neither should you be." He's portraying the same "let's get things going again" attitude that is going to get a lot of people killed. And ya know what, he really doesn't care, do you?

Rural areas have to worry about in-coming humans. Such areas are virus-virgins (if truly rural - like my hometown was in the 1968 HongKong flu pandemic).

But almost no people leave away from a settlement, and a gas station is somewhere around - so people come in and out. It’s the gas station workers/grocery store clerks/restaurant owners who need to be masked, distancing, washing many times a day - and tested occasionally.

This could keep rates to zero - or virtually zero. This can be expanded to a larger area if everyone cooperates and all roads/methods leading in and out of the place are monitored. I was noticing today that in the very very small town we drove to, they had Sheriffs had either end of town. Only one road goes through. No stop lights. One store and one drive-in, no gas station. No post office. About 1000 people live around that town, many on acreage. Big signs on every side road saying PRIVATE ROAD and some saying ROAD CLOSED to all but locals. We had just been down that road 2 months ago. It’s not legally closed - the sign is not official. The locals put it up.

But if the opposite is true and someone puts a sign that says “bait store” on that one little store and an arrow that says “GOOD FISHING - WE SELL ICE,” it will be crowded just like a certain place about 10 miles away - I could not believe how many people were there even though the county has mandated Stay at Home.

Naturally, the gas station in the next largest town brings all these people together...

So, by reopening on a smaller scale we would have people going to the “opened up” areas vs. the closed. An example being, liquor, tobacco, fireworks, etc.
I get it now : )

Nearly 70 residents sickened with the coronavirus have died at a Massachusetts home for aging veterans, as state and federal officials try to figure out what went wrong in the deadliest known outbreak at a long-term care facility in the U.S.

While the death toll at the state-run Holyoke Soldiers' Home continues to climb, federal officials are investigating whether residents were denied proper medical care and the state's top prosecutor is deciding whether to bring legal action.

“It's horrific,” said Edward Lapointe, whose father-in-law lives at the home and had a mild case of the virus. “These guys never had a chance."

Sixty-eight veteran residents who tested positive for the virus have died, officials said Tuesday, and it's not known whether another person who died had COVID-19. Another 82 residents and 81 employees have tested positive.

The home's superintendent, who's been placed on administrative leave, has defended his response and accused state officials of falsely claiming they were unaware of the scope of the problem there.

Republican Gov. Charlie Baker's administration has hired an outside attorney to conduct an investigation into the deaths. Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey is also investigating to determine “what went wrong at this facility and determine if legal action is warranted."

Nearly 70 dead in ‘horrific’ outbreak at veterans home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member