OR OR - Union Co, Finley Creek Jane Doe, UnsFem 14-25, UP11902, preg, on wooded hillside, Aug'78

Has Benita Chamberlin been looked at?

She was last seen visiting/feeding her 10 day old premature daughter at the hospital. She was told she could take her home that day. Would explain why we’ve seen everything from a 6m fetus to a full term/recently born baby in the articles/reports. I think facial is ok. Time is 6mths instead of years.

View attachment 245758

Benita Gay Chamberlin – The Charley Project

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

It doesn’t look as though she took her daughter with her so not her.

We added a page about her case to our site. Finley Creek Jane Doe 1978 Elgin OR - Redgrave Research Forensic Services. There's a stack of links to related pages about her case. If anyone has any additional links I should add, please let me know. I'll be adding this thread as a link. There's also a small superimposition video showing the art over the skull, which we have permission to publish.

Wow! Hi everyone. I work with Anthony Redgrave and I actually haven’t heard of this case until he showed me her reconstruction.

Anyways, y’all are doing an amazing job here. It warms my heart to know that there’s a group of people who still care about this girl.

Definitely going to be following this case from now on.

OUR FIRST STROKE OF LUCK WITH THE MEDIA! Mel Jederberg and Kether Senn of the group that we have collectively put together is interviewed. Here is the link: (Trigger Warning: photos of her skeletal remains are located in the article)

FINLEY CREEK JANE DOE ARTICLE-LA GRANDE OBSERVER

I’m European, so I couldn’t read the article at first. Found a way around that but the pictures don’t show. Could you possibly find a way to share them?
Thank you for your amazing work!

Edit: Nevermind, I got it. Google translate is your friend. Translate from english to your language (in my case Dutch) and click the link. You should get the article in your language with pics.

I don't think there's any way they can know that from the skull. It seems to be because the photo of the skull shows an odd angle, so she's looking up at us.

You are of course right....I wonder why they didn't compensate for that a little.....I find that interesting.

From the files a couple of women were mentioned as a possibility. Ruled out on dentals is Melanie D. Flynn.
sp78752103-27-jpg.238836

Two other women are mentioned Lauri Clausen and Dana Lou Sanchez.... @JasonFutchLakeCityFL , maybe I missed it but did this pend out? Interesting in the filed information there is mentioning of the extensive dental work including a front cap. Sorry if I missed that earlier in all the information....it feels new to me. Do they mean her front teeth were capped? I'm not familiar with dental charts and the terminology used. My imagination produces an image of the cap....but I'm not sure it's accurate. Can you, somebody, help me out?

From the files a couple of women were mentioned as a possibility. Ruled out on dentals is Melanie D. Flynn.
sp78752103-27-jpg.238836

Two other women are mentioned Lauri Clausen and Dana Lou Sanchez.... @JasonFutchLakeCityFL , maybe I missed it but did this pend out? Interesting in the filed information there is mentioning of the extensive dental work including a front cap. Sorry if I missed that earlier in all the information....it feels new to me. Do they mean her front teeth were capped? I'm not familiar with dental charts and the terminology used. My imagination produces an image of the cap....but I'm not sure it's accurate. Can you, somebody, help me out?
We ruled out Dana Sanchez while we were on a Conference Call with Dr. Vance because we found a proof of life after 1978 via vital statistics and Ancestry. As for Lori Clausen, I’ll look into that! I’m surprised I missed that.

As for the teeth, she had dental work done, which included numerous amalgam fillings and a capped tooth. We believe it was a porcelain cap because when we examined the teeth, they didn’t appear to be capped.

NEW ARTICLE: She has a face

SHE HAS A FACE!
By Phil Wright, Observer Staff Reporter

LA GRANDE — The team working to solve the homicide of a Jane Doe near Elgin stretching back more than 40 years received a surprise last Saturday: Images showing their mystery woman’s face.

Melinda Jederberg of La Grande, who is heading up the individuals dedicated to identifying the woman, recalled staring into that face and her eyes.

“I got goose bumps,” she said. “I got a little bit teary-eyed — a little bit — and I’m not the only one.”

The face of the Finley Creek Jane Doe came about when team member Jason Futch of Florida reached out to Anthony Redgrave of Massachusetts. Futch, who operates a podcast on cold cases, asked his friend if he would try to re-create what the woman may have looked like.

“He joined our little work group and is providing his services free of charge,” Jederberg said.

Redgrave operates Redgrave Research Forensic Services. He has been doing this work for about a year and half, he said, and comes from a fine arts background. He explained the profession debates whether to call the work facial “reconstruction” or “approximation,” but he goes with “forensic art.” Having a good piece of forensic art, he said, can make a signifiant difference in identifying someone.

“People recognize faces, and characteristics carry across families,” Redgrave said.

Re-creating the face, however, took some creativity. Redgrave had no actual skull to work with, just the digital copies of the photos the Oregon State medical examiner took of the remains after hunters found them in August 1978 in a shallow grave on an embankment of Finley Creek. And these photos were not direct shots of a forward-facing skull.

“The angles were really horrible,” he said. “Sometimes medical examiners will take horrible photos of remains.”

He tapped into his arts background to draft lines of perspectives based on the images, he said, eventually leading to a three-dimensional rendering of the skull. He also credited biological anthropologist Amy Michael who teaches at the University of New Hampshire and works with Redgrave Research Forensic Services. She provides guidance on ethnicity and age of the faces he brings to life.

From there, he said, re-creating faces takes about four or five hours, and this case was no different. He said he is a night owl and started the project at 2:30 a.m. Saturday, May 3. Later that morning, he sent the team members the video he made showing the face, including the superimposition that shows how the skull fits inside the face. He said that lets him check the work to make sure skull and facial angles line up.

Jederberg said she was shocked, surprised and impressed with the work. But she did not immediately push the images to the public via the Facebook page for the case, Finley Creek Jane Doe — Elgin, OR. Instead, the team arranged a video conference Tuesday with Dr. Veronica “Nici” Vance, forensic anthropologist for the Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office.

Jederberg said that meeting proved invaluable. Vance entered Jane Doe’s image into the state’s database for missing people, Jederberg said, and Vance told the crew she would work on tracking down the cremains. After the medical examiner’s office wrapped up its work on the case all those years ago, state police shipped the bones to a crematorium in Walla Walla, where the paper trail went cold for Jederberg.

Vance, however, carries the kind of clout that could open news doors leading to the recovery of the cremains and the distant possibility of extracting DNA.

“That’s where we’re standing right now,” Jederberg said.

The group on Tuesday posted Redgrave’s forensic art on the Facebook page. Jederberg said overnight the page received roughly a hundred new followers.

“We’ve got all kinds of people saying, ‘Could it be this person?’” she said.

Followers said they are combing through images on public databases of missing people looking for possible matches to the image of a slender-faced woman with big eyes. Redgrave said this is one of the reasons he does what he does.

Even if people don’t recognize the face of a stranger, he said, they care more about a stranger once they see their face.

NEW ARTICLE: She has a face

SHE HAS A FACE!
By Phil Wright, Observer Staff Reporter

LA GRANDE — The team working to solve the homicide of a Jane Doe near Elgin stretching back more than 40 years received a surprise last Saturday: Images showing their mystery woman’s face.

Melinda Jederberg of La Grande, who is heading up the individuals dedicated to identifying the woman, recalled staring into that face and her eyes.

“I got goose bumps,” she said. “I got a little bit teary-eyed — a little bit — and I’m not the only one.”

The face of the Finley Creek Jane Doe came about when team member Jason Futch of Florida reached out to Anthony Redgrave of Massachusetts. Futch, who operates a podcast on cold cases, asked his friend if he would try to re-create what the woman may have looked like.

“He joined our little work group and is providing his services free of charge,” Jederberg said.

Redgrave operates Redgrave Research Forensic Services. He has been doing this work for about a year and half, he said, and comes from a fine arts background. He explained the profession debates whether to call the work facial “reconstruction” or “approximation,” but he goes with “forensic art.” Having a good piece of forensic art, he said, can make a signifiant difference in identifying someone.

“People recognize faces, and characteristics carry across families,” Redgrave said.

Re-creating the face, however, took some creativity. Redgrave had no actual skull to work with, just the digital copies of the photos the Oregon State medical examiner took of the remains after hunters found them in August 1978 in a shallow grave on an embankment of Finley Creek. And these photos were not direct shots of a forward-facing skull.

“The angles were really horrible,” he said. “Sometimes medical examiners will take horrible photos of remains.”

He tapped into his arts background to draft lines of perspectives based on the images, he said, eventually leading to a three-dimensional rendering of the skull. He also credited biological anthropologist Amy Michael who teaches at the University of New Hampshire and works with Redgrave Research Forensic Services. She provides guidance on ethnicity and age of the faces he brings to life.

From there, he said, re-creating faces takes about four or five hours, and this case was no different. He said he is a night owl and started the project at 2:30 a.m. Saturday, May 3. Later that morning, he sent the team members the video he made showing the face, including the superimposition that shows how the skull fits inside the face. He said that lets him check the work to make sure skull and facial angles line up.

Jederberg said she was shocked, surprised and impressed with the work. But she did not immediately push the images to the public via the Facebook page for the case, Finley Creek Jane Doe — Elgin, OR. Instead, the team arranged a video conference Tuesday with Dr. Veronica “Nici” Vance, forensic anthropologist for the Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office.

Jederberg said that meeting proved invaluable. Vance entered Jane Doe’s image into the state’s database for missing people, Jederberg said, and Vance told the crew she would work on tracking down the cremains. After the medical examiner’s office wrapped up its work on the case all those years ago, state police shipped the bones to a crematorium in Walla Walla, where the paper trail went cold for Jederberg.

Vance, however, carries the kind of clout that could open news doors leading to the recovery of the cremains and the distant possibility of extracting DNA.

“That’s where we’re standing right now,” Jederberg said.

The group on Tuesday posted Redgrave’s forensic art on the Facebook page. Jederberg said overnight the page received roughly a hundred new followers.

“We’ve got all kinds of people saying, ‘Could it be this person?’” she said.

Followers said they are combing through images on public databases of missing people looking for possible matches to the image of a slender-faced woman with big eyes. Redgrave said this is one of the reasons he does what he does.

Even if people don’t recognize the face of a stranger, he said, they care more about a stranger once they see their face.
Amazing! This poor woman and her baby died in an awful way and experienced the worst of human nature, but how heartening to see a group of strangers come together and put so much effort into identifying her. It shows the beautiful generous side of human nature.

by the way, what is the name of your podcast?

Amazing! This poor woman and her baby died in an awful way and experienced the worst of human nature, but how heartening to see a group of strangers come together and put so much effort into identifying her. It shows the beautiful generous side of human nature.

by the way, what is the name of your podcast?
I’ve been watching his podcasts without even knowing it was the same Jason! You can find the podcast on youtube, I’m not sure what the name is, but the one on Finley Creek Jane Doe and Multnomah John Doe (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs))
can be found here:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back