Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Cuomo said nearly 84% of the hospitalized cases were people who were not commuting to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or walking. He said a majority of those people were either retired or unemployed. Overall, some 73% of the admissions were people over age 51.

He said the information shows that those who are hospitalized are predominantly from the downstate area in or around New York City, are not working or traveling and are not essential employees. He also said a majority of the cases in New York City are minorities, with nearly half being African American or Hispanic. “
————-

•Not commuting because retired or unemployed
•Over the age of 51 (who the heck can afford to retire at 51 without social security?)
•Not venturing outside much

Does this mean each person lives alone? And has their food brought to them since they rarely venture out?

Or does that mean they live with someone else that also was literally at home?

Or did these people live with others that were not working from home, used public transportation, etc?

There’s not enough information.

So if we stay at home and don’t go anywhere - we will still get it according to this article?

I think it means one person's idea of self-isolation is a lot different than someone else's. I consider myself self-isolating until I do my once weekly shop. I go out and hit three stores then I'm back home. So I spend 90% of my time at home. I'm following the guidelines but the only time I really self isolated after the shutdown was the first 6 days I stayed in the house before I went out to do the shopping. That first shopping day technically broke my isolation. I start again every week.

I also wonder whether some people are fearful of telling the truth to hospitals when they're asked if they have been self-isolating.

Last edited:
And what about the people not sick enough for disability, but compromised. Too young to retire, yet too compromised to take the risk of working. They will have to go back to work soon. How scary for them.

If we are actually interested in helping people and saving lives, these people will be protected by the government. Forced furlough with full pay. Then other people that are not at risk can get off unemployment and go back to work.

It appears the death rate of infected people is 0.2-0.5% based on antibody tests (I believe this is 100% valid).

Going forward-

we can better protect senior living homes

we can better protect health care workers

it is unlikely hospitals will be overrun after the test run of the last two months

the vulnerable with co-morbidity(s) now understand the need to stay at home

we will have more PPE where needed most

we should have better treatment- remdesivir and others

voluntary social distancing for most is way of life until we know better

we have learned what not to do

as a result of the above- the R0 (metric for contagion) for coronavirus will never return to where it was 2.5 months ago

It would seem that going forward, with the opening of the States, more "less-vulnerable" people will be infected and recover, and the more vulnerable will have less infections. So the death rate per infection should drop considerably.

But COVID-19 is still highly infectious and there is no vaccine, so it is very dangerous. And despite what we read, a vaccine is likely 12-18 months away, IMO.

We will see how this plays out.

***all my opinion

Perhaps just a coincidence, but two stories posted here about the kids in NY have mentioned 8yo Boy Scouts.

jmo

My apologies, I guess I did not think it out correctly.

First, I posted a story about 8 year-old Jayden being one of the 64 children with the multi-system inflammatory syndrome. In a NYC hospital and the doctor that took care of him. He is a boy scout

Then I saw another article, same child, noting the beginning of his illness, symptoms, his family, and what led up to a ventilator.
I thought maybe someone would be interested in reading how they diagnosed him from the beginning with his family. I did not realize it was the same.

l will try to be more mindful of what I post. Still learning

Last edited:
I’m curious how many of you know someone who tested positive and that person(s) ended up in the hospital. I don’t know anyone. I’m in a hot spot outside of a major hot spot.

3 people I know personally have ended up hospitalized. 1 was on a vent for 30 days, then trached and finally came out of it. He is now at a level 1 trauma hospital in ICU going through the early levels of rehab. It is a miracle he survived. Early 60’s with no pre-existing conditions. Other 2 friends were hospitalized and released after 10 or 12 days with supportive care. I live in the Deep South with lots of people who think Covid 19 is some kind of hoax and/or conspiracy theory. It is nuts to read their Facebook comments!

I’m curious how many of you know someone who tested positive and that person(s) ended up in the hospital. I don’t know anyone. I’m in a hot spot outside of a major hot spot.

I don't know anyone. I'm not in a hotspot, but I have an elderly relative who was positive in an elder care facility in GA who is fine now. I know at least two people who have been in my office building have tested positive, but no one I know in the building has been seriously ill or hospitalized. None of my kids' friends or families have even been ill.

Lots of children are, no doubt, "infected." According to the data, however, only a very few will become seriously ill and almost none will die unless they have a very serious underlying condition. Which these kids likely don't have since they're in daycare.

maybe except now we're also hearing about children with some weird inflammatory condition that comes with covid which seems to put them at more risk

Can I just say that I’m so thankful for having a place to go to like WS during this time of uncertainty? These threads have enlightened, entertained, and grounded me over the past several weeks. Thank you all.
I’m grateful, too. My mom called me earlier trying to explain a certain viral video on Facebook so I took a look. I just don’t know what happened to critical thinking. Scrolling through my timeline was disappointing and stressful. People just do not fact check at all on SM. They’re like little robots, automatically reposting nonsense they haven’t even checked out. I’m glad we have a place where links and fact-checking are important. I wish I had not visited that other dumpster fire today.

If we are actually interested in helping people and saving lives, these people will be protected by the government. Forced furlough with full pay. Then other people that are not at risk can get off unemployment and go back to work.

It appears the death rate of infected people is 0.2-0.5% based on antibody tests (I believe this is 100% valid).

Going forward-

we can better protect senior living homes

we can better protect health care workers

it is unlikely hospitals will be overrun after the test run of the last two months

the vulnerable with co-morbidity(s) now understand the need to stay at home

we will have more PPE where needed most

we should have better treatment- remdesivir and others

voluntary social distancing for most is way of life until we know better

we have learned what not to do

as a result of the above- the R0 (metric for contagion) for coronavirus will never return to where it was 2.5 months ago

It would seem that going forward, with the opening of the States, more "less-vulnerable" people will be infected and recover, and the more vulnerable will have less infections. So the death rate per infection should drop considerably.

But COVID-19 is still highly infectious and there is no vaccine, so it is very dangerous. And despite what we read, a vaccine is likely 12-18 months away, IMO.

We will see how this plays out.

***all my opinion
Operative word in a lot of that is “we”. We have learned, we know what to do and not do. However, I do not have confidence that a very high percentage outside of this group have learned or know squat. We’ve all posted about the dumpster fires we see when we are out for essentials. People are not social distancing, wearing masks, or acting like anything has changed.

So, we are on about 6-7 weeks of lockdown, and people are running out of $$, and you have people like this judge in Texas, getting paid, smacking down a woman trying to earn of living. Yeah, I agree with taking this virus seriously, but there is a point in time, where the citizens are going to take back the country from the leaders telling us all to stay home, while those leaders (governors, Congress, judges) earn a handsome living. It is just a matter of time, before this thing blows up. The reality is everyone can not sit at home forever, while they and everything around them goes broke. The people making all the rules are not necessarily feeling the same impact, and that's a problem.
Let's not leave out the employees of the executive branch, whether they take a salary or benefit financially in other ways. We were told there would be tests. JMO.

If it can't be transmitted through food for sure, they wouldn't be recommending that people thoroughly wash their fruits and vegetables before eating them.
I wouldn't want anyone who had the virus to cough, or even breathe, on my taco before giving it to me.
Reheat your taco in the microwave when you bring it home

people should be doing that anyway with the other possible germs/dirt/bodily fluids/insect debris/pesticides that could be on them IMO
I agree. But even more so now. I wear gloves and wash my cucumbers with soap and water before I peel them. I never used to do that.
O/T I'm a vegan too but I'm a bad vegan because............um.................I CHEAT!
But I figure eating vegan 90% of the time is 90% better than not at all.

Heavy Death Toll Came As Surprise To Head Of Sweden's No-Lockdown Plan

The man leading Sweden's coronavirus response says the country's elevated death toll "really came as a surprise to us."

Dr. Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, appeared on "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" on Tuesday, when he described the country's controversial approach.

"We never really calculated with a high death toll initially, I must say," he said.

"We calculated on more people being sick, but the death toll really came as a surprise to us."

The head of Sweden's no-lockdown coronavirus plan said the country's heavy death toll 'came as a surprise'

Operative word in a lot of that is “we”. We have learned, we know what to do and not do. However, I do not have confidence that a very high percentage outside of this group have learned or know squat. We’ve all posted about the dumpster fires we see when we are out for essentials. People are not social distancing, wearing masks, or acting like anything has changed.

This. I have been looking at my Facebook page. It is an absolute free for all, insanity. I am still very much hunkering down. Work, home, shower. We have plenty of food. Everyone at work now has to wear a mask, I wear a mask, so it is at least double protected. Better than nothing.

But everyone else is acting like a drunken sailor on leave with a pocketful of cash. Sure, go have your hair styled, you just exposed yourself to roughly 200 people. If not more. The math is exponential. Don't people get that?!

This. I have been looking at my Facebook page. It is an absolute free for all, insanity. I am still very much hunkering down. Work, home, shower. We have plenty of food. Everyone at work now has to wear a mask, I wear a mask, so it is at least double protected. Better than nothing.

But everyone else is acting like a drunken sailor on leave with a pocketful of cash. Sure, go have your hair styled, you just exposed yourself to roughly 200 people. If not more. The math is exponential. Don't people get that?!
The 'people of Walmart' sure don't get it. I had to pick up an order from the tower located a few feet from the front door. Right next to the tower is the self check out section. People were packed in there like a can of sardines and maybe 2 out of 20 were wearing masks. That place is a Petri dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa