Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Long Island officials on Wednesday told an entire town to go on a diet — in an effort to combat coronavirus lockdown-induced weight gain.

The stay-at-home restrictions have caused many people to stress-eat — a phenomenon nicknamed the 'Quarantine 15' or 'COVID 10' — potentially putting them more at risk for the disease."
https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/long-island-town-told-to-diet-to-combat-coronavirus/

Opportunity for the nation to see physical fitness as something we can all improve together??

jmo

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1721486915873

"My apologies to Lindsay, my hairdresser": Dr. Henry admits she cut her own hair. B.C.'s provincial health officer says now is not the time to go for haircuts during the COVID-19 pandemic.
My siblings and I have a weekly video-chat check-in to laugh at each other's outgrown hairstyles. One sister still looks good - but she always does. :)

Hairdressers are missing business now, but at least they know their customers will return.

jmo

In New Zealand we were encouraged to assume we might be infected, even if asymptomatic. So staying at home, social distancing and wearing face masks in public were ways to keep other people safe. So the emphasis was on being responsible, and preventing the spread to those more vulnerable. Rather than about solely avoiding being infected ourselves.

It's a different mindset and I think it helps. It's about being mindful and doing one's part in taking basic steps to prevent spreading it to others. Wearing a face covering even if it's just a basic cotton mask helps prevent the aerolised droplets via talking, breathing, and coughing etcetera from being spread. It's obviously not perfect, but the more people who do it, the better the prevention. Then you add in the social distancing, surface disinfecting, hand sanitizing and washing...

The focus is then on being proactive and protective, rather than reactive and fearful. Does that make sense? It's worked for us.

I think many businesses will fail. It's a domino effect. Entire cities will fail, and even some States.
I do think we're in for a bloodbath financially.
We're old now, we don't have the desire to work 60 plus hours a week anymore.
I'll be content with a part time online job.
That's all we need to supplement our social security IF we leave California.
If you knew what our monthly overhead is you'd probably just about faint.
At least my dear old Dad, who's is Calgary, Canada does, whenever I discuss it with him! :)

The virus is life altering for sure. I have heard of many who are making changes so that they can fully retire. They just can't risk physically going back into the workplace.

And what about the people not sick enough for disability, but compromised. Too young to retire, yet too compromised to take the risk of working. They will have to go back to work soon. How scary for them.

If a person lies and says that they will not commit anymore crimes if given bail even if they plan on doing the same crime as soon as they get out, they are allowed bail. I would put the majority of repeat criminals in this category.

If a person tells the truth they are denied bail. Sounds like a really stupid way of deciding who gets bail to me. JMO
I thought one of the conditions of bail is that you don't commit any crimes while out on bail, which is essentially what she promised to do as soon as released. Should they have let her go, and just arrested her again when she broke the law Again?

And what about the people not sick enough for disability, but compromised. Too young to retire, yet too compromised to take the risk of working. They will have to go back to work soon. How scary for them.

You are so right. My good friend is in her early 50’s with type 1 diabetes and has a heart stent. She is too young to retire and too ambitious/professional to even think about disability. She works in a large corporate office situation and thankfully has been able to work from home for the last few weeks but will go back in the office on 6/1. She would be in such trouble if she ends up with Covid 19.

:):D That was great. Needed that smile today. Are people making music videos at home like this. Like it’s “a thing”??

Some people count sheep when they can’t fall asleep. I count counties, New York state counties. There are 62 — though, to be honest, I couldn’t name all 62 even if I were wide awake.

But there’s a video going viral that compresses all of the county names into a three-minute-40-second parody. It’s one of the best, and certainly most cheerful, of the many videos prompted by our state-wide quarantine.

Titled “KoCuomo,” the video rewrites the Beach Boys’ “Kokomo” into a musical tribute to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.

The video shows life dragging in the house – dishes pile up, showers are optional. But when Cuomo comes on for his daily news briefing, everyone is rapt and riveted, “in love with words of our take-charge guv.”

Throughout the video, county names pop up. (Quick quiz: name 10). “You should have seen my spreadsheet,” Suzanne said, explaining how she kept track. In the end, though, she united all the New York counties, as different and sometimes at odds as they are. In these troubled times, that’s remarkable. Sixty-two counties. One state. It adds up.

A hopefully relatable, parody video of "Kokomo" by The Beach Boys, to pay tribute to our favorite NY Governor... we had the time. Scroll down for the lyrics!

County by county, 'KoCuomo' parody video sings Cuomo’s praises

Reopened restaurant told workers: Don't wear face masks — or don't work

Texas restaurants that reopened at partial capacity last week have a choice to make: Whether or not their employees should wear masks during the coronavirus pandemic.

One restaurant company landed on a decision that has some employees weighing their safety versus their jobs.

No face masks or face coverings of any kind.

Noting some of the restaurants owned by that group:

The corporate company, Hillstone Restaurant Group was founded in 1976 and owns the following restaurants: Gulfstream, Bandera, Rutherford Grill, Palm Beach Grill, Cherry Creek Grill, Los Altos Grill, Woodmont Grill, R+D, Hillstone, The Honor Bar, South Beverly Grill, East Hampton Grill, White House Tavern, Big Jake’s Steaks, and Houston’s.[3] As of 2019, the group owns and operates 76 restaurants under 13 different brands in the United States.

Houston's Restaurant - Wikipedia

You couldn't pay me to enter any restaurant right now but the decision to forbid employees to wear masks is especially reckless IMHO. If I found myself needing to find a restaurant to eat in I would not go to one where they have such willful disregard for the health and safety of their customers and staff. I would look for one where masks and gloves are being worn and one that would allow me to get take out in my car or to eat outside and stay 6ft away from other tables. But what do I know, perhaps I am in the minority? o_O

MOO.

ETA: It appears from the company FB page, I am not alone: Hillstone Restaurant (Park Cities)

I wonder if they will reverse their no mask policy after all the negative feedback?

Last edited:
Noting some of the restaurants owned by that group:

The corporate company, Hillstone Restaurant Group was founded in 1976 and owns the following restaurants: Gulfstream, Bandera, Rutherford Grill, Palm Beach Grill, Cherry Creek Grill, Los Altos Grill, Woodmont Grill, R+D, Hillstone, The Honor Bar, South Beverly Grill, East Hampton Grill, White House Tavern, Big Jake’s Steaks, and Houston’s.[3] As of 2019, the group owns and operates 76 restaurants under 13 different brands in the United States.

Houston's Restaurant - Wikipedia

You couldn't pay me to enter any restaurant right now but the decision to forbid employees to wear masks is especially reckless IMHO. If I found myself needing to find a restaurant to eat in I would not go to one where they have such willful disregard for the health and safety of their customers and staff. I would look for one where masks and gloves are being worn and one that would allow me to get take out in my car or to eat outside and stay 6ft away from other tables. But what do I know, perhaps I am in the minority? o_O

MOO.

I love Bandera!

Could it be that isolating and staying at home basically ensured cross infections within families? Close quarters and potentially high viral loads. Still trying to figure out what Sweden has done right...

Most new Covid-19 hospitalizations in New York state are from people who were staying home and not venturing much outside, a “shocking” finding, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday.

The preliminary data was from 100 New York hospitals involving about 1,000 patients, Cuomo said at his daily briefing.

It shows that 66% of new admissions were from people who had largely been sheltering at home. The next highest source of admissions was from nursing homes, 18%.

Cuomo says it's 'shocking' most new coronavirus hospitalizations are people who had been staying home

“Cuomo said nearly 84% of the hospitalized cases were people who were not commuting to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or walking. He said a majority of those people were either retired or unemployed. Overall, some 73% of the admissions were people over age 51.

He said the information shows that those who are hospitalized are predominantly from the downstate area in or around New York City, are not working or traveling and are not essential employees. He also said a majority of the cases in New York City are minorities, with nearly half being African American or Hispanic. “
————-

•Not commuting because retired or unemployed
•Over the age of 51 (who the heck can afford to retire at 51 without social security?)
•Not venturing outside much

Does this mean each person lives alone? And has their food brought to them since they rarely venture out?

Or does that mean they live with someone else that also was literally at home?

Or did these people live with others that were not working from home, used public transportation, etc?

There’s not enough information.

So if we stay at home and don’t go anywhere - we will still get it according to this article?

“Cuomo said nearly 84% of the hospitalized cases were people who were not commuting to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or walking. He said a majority of those people were either retired or unemployed. Overall, some 73% of the admissions were people over age 51.

He said the information shows that those who are hospitalized are predominantly from the downstate area in or around New York City, are not working or traveling and are not essential employees. He also said a majority of the cases in New York City are minorities, with nearly half being African American or Hispanic. “
————-

•Not commuting because retired or unemployed
•Over the age of 51 (who the heck can afford to retire at 51 without social security?)
•Not venturing outside much

Does this mean each person lives alone? And has their food brought to them since they rarely venture out?

Or does that mean they live with someone else that also was literally at home?

Or did these people live with others that were not working from home, used public transportation, etc?

There’s not enough information.

So if we stay at home and don’t go anywhere - we will still get it according to this article?

Honestly, MM, I think we will pretty much all end up with it before it is all said and done. Some of us will be asymptotic, some mildly ill and some of us won’t fare so well. It is sobering.

If it can't be transmitted through food for sure, they wouldn't be recommending that people thoroughly wash their fruits and vegetables before eating them.
I wouldn't want anyone who had the virus to cough, or even breathe, on my taco before giving it to me.

people should be doing that anyway with the other possible germs/dirt/bodily fluids/insect debris/pesticides that could be on them IMO

Last edited:
Can I just say that I’m so thankful for having a place to go to like WS during this time of uncertainty? These threads have enlightened, entertained, and grounded me over the past several weeks. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekmtl