Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex vs Associated Newspapers

DBM we

Did not Mr. Markle jump into the pocket of the Daily Mail at the first opportunity?
He is selling it all, she had the copyright.
Does sharing copyrighted material with friends change your right copyright?
Not quite at the first opportunity. I believe the letter was sent in August. It wasn't until February that the People article came out with her friends discussing the letter, and her father released portions of it in response.

So for roughly six months he kept it completely private. If she did write it with the expectation of him leaking it, she must have gotten very impatient waiting month after month...

DBM we

Did not Mr. Markle jump into the pocket of the Daily Mail at the first opportunity?
He is selling it all, she had the copyright.
Does sharing copyrighted material with friends change your right copyright?

Markle's father owns the letter. The words in the letter are attributed to Markle. Markle's friends made false claims to the media, her father used his letter to defend himself. Where's the problem?

Suppose I give you a letter that says A. You now own that letter. I then tell the media the letter says B. What are your rights?

Not quite at the first opportunity. I believe the letter was sent in August. It wasn't until February that the People article came out with her friends discussing the letter, and her father released portions of it in response.

So for roughly six months he kept it completely private. If she did write it with the expectation of him leaking it, she must have gotten very impatient waiting month after month...

Carolyn Graham of the US Daily Mail has been working with Thomas Markle since 2017.

Reactions: Emi
I was under the impression that the Queen told Harry and Markle to take a break, to rest and regroup, after the disastrous Africa tour where they announced "what about me, my life is so hard!!!" and "we're suing the big bad media".

They were expected to return refreshed and ready for duty 6 weeks later at Christmas. Instead of returning to work, they lashed out. The Royal Family pleaded with Harry to go slow so all the details of partially stepping down could be sorted out. He didn't listen. Harry and Megan did not get what they wanted. If the Freedom book paints them as angels and their families as villains, I suspect they will lose what little they have retained - such as a 2 million annual allowance and titles that they cannot use.

This lawsuit is a further embarrassment to the Royal Family. They know that Markle has a history of attempting to manipulate media coverage, that she enlisted friends to speak on her behalf. They know that Markle has denied knowing that these friends spoke to the media on her behalf. They know that this has no good outcome, regardless of the court ruling.

Well said! There was a constructive & mature way to handle things and she chose not to. That’s on her.

Dbm
I was under the impression that the Queen told Harry and Markle to take a break, to rest and regroup, after the disastrous Africa tour where they announced "what about me, my life is so hard!!!" and "we're suing the big bad media".

They were expected to return refreshed and ready for duty 6 weeks later at Christmas. Instead of returning to work, they lashed out. The Royal Family pleaded with Harry to go slow so all the details of partially stepping down could be sorted out. He didn't listen. Harry and Megan did not get what they wanted. If the Freedom book paints them as angels and their families as villains, I suspect they will lose what little they have retained - such as a 2 million annual allowance and titles that they cannot use.

This lawsuit is a further embarrassment to the Royal Family. They know that Markle has a history of attempting to manipulate media coverage, that she enlisted friends to speak on her behalf. They know that Markle has denied knowing that these friends spoke to the media on her behalf. They know that this has no good outcome, regardless of the court ruling.

Link please.
I don't believe they expressed themselves that way.

Last edited:
Markle's father owns the letter. The words in the letter are attributed to Markle. Markle's friends made false claims to the media, her father used his letter to defend himself. Where's the problem?

Suppose I give you a letter that says A. You now own that letter. I then tell the media the letter says B. What are your rights?

I would suggest you see a lawyer about the content. As for the letter you own the paper and ink.

Another point here: she said she worked hard to put herself through school and that her Father had nothing to do with it.
She was 9 when he won the lottery.
He was an Emmy winning lighting director and so made good money. How much he contributed to school isnt clear, since the marriage to Meghans mother only lasted 8 years. Maybe a lot maybe a little, I will attempt to find out.
By hard work I mean she worked hard and excelled at school and established an acting career.

If I said she worked herself "through school" I am unaware of of it.

Last edited:
Another point here: she said she worked hard to put herself through school and that her Father had nothing to do with it.
Can you give me the post #.
I don't think that is quite what I said.

It was those claims that caused her father to speak up once already, to point out that Markle was not an orphaned self-made woman.

He raised her, so he obviously knows that she makes false claims. When those false claims involve his reputation, he sets the record straight.

It was those claims that caused her father to speak up once already, to point out that Markle was not an orphaned self-made woman.

He raised her, so he obviously knows that she makes false claims. When those false claims involve his reputation, he sets the record straight.

What false claims?
Link please.

What false claims?
Link please.

"Thomas Markle says Meghan lied when she said she paid her own way through college — and he claims he has "the bank statements to prove it."

During an interview with the Mail on Sunday, Meghan Markle's father said previous claims she made about her college finances are "completely untrue," and that he didn't say anything sooner because she was pregnant.

Speaking to students at the University of South Pacific during a tour of Fiji last October, the duchess said it was scholarships, financial aid, and work-study programs — where her "earnings from a job on campus went directly towards my tuition" — that helped pay her way through college.

'I'm sorry but that is completely untrue. I paid every penny of her tuition and I have the bank statements to prove it," Thomas told the Mail."​

Thomas Markle says Meghan is lying about paying her way through college as he paid 'every penny' of her tuition and has 'bank statements to prove it'

I see. Looked in to and saw that in September 2019 TM said he had the bank statements to prove he paid every penny of her tuition.
Had anyone seen the statements?

"Thomas Markle says Meghan lied when she said she paid her own way through college — and he claims he has "the bank statements to prove it."

During an interview with the Mail on Sunday, Meghan Markle's father said previous claims she made about her college finances are "completely untrue," and that he didn't say anything sooner because she was pregnant.

Speaking to students at the University of South Pacific during a tour of Fiji last October, the duchess said it was scholarships, financial aid, and work-study programs — where her "earnings from a job on campus went directly towards my tuition" — that helped pay her way through college.

'I'm sorry but that is completely untrue. I paid every penny of her tuition and I have the bank statements to prove it," Thomas told the Mail."​

Thomas Markle says Meghan is lying about paying her way through college as he paid 'every penny' of her tuition and has 'bank statements to prove it'
So has he proved it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back