Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our First Nations all have road blocks and check points too. More power to them, I say! Keep those check points up.

Absolutely!! Anyone who doesn't want to comply with the checkpoints can simply take another route. There's another highway a few miles south of Pine Ridge. There's nothing unreasonable about what Frazier is doing---that highway runs through his reservation. He's doing what's best to protect his people.

Hey Henry,

I thought I heard Georgia was doing well lately, even though they opened up. Is that true?

Hi- these charts are as of 6:20 pm today.

I don't consider plateau of deaths at about 30 a day as doing well. 38 deaths today so far.

Many State Employees and city of Atlanta employees and many companies are still working from home. 100 restaurants in Atlanta took out an ad in the AJC and said they were waiting to open. We will have to see if people feel safer in the next couple of weeks.

Don't get me wrong, there are people roaming around. But there are alot still at home.

I saw the cheers and congrats on Twitter this weekend. My comment was "this is cheering at half time when the score is tied".......

Georgia Coronavirus Map and Case Count

Attachments

• ScreenshotCapture_2020_05_11_19_43_09_088.jpg
    ScreenshotCapture_2020_05_11_19_43_09_088.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
VIDEO AT LINK

A restaurant in Colorado is being ordered to close after video surfaced of unmasked patrons dining there on Mother's Day.

The video, which was posted to Twitter and taken by a local news reporter, has racked up nearly 4.3 million views in the last 24 hours.

Dozens of people can be seen waiting in line to eat at C&C Coffee and Kitchen and sitting close to each other at tables. Few diners were wearing masks.

Restaurants and bars in Colorado are only allowed to offer delivery and pickup service since March 19. The state has 19,703 COVID-19 cases and 971 deaths from the virus, according to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

Local health officials said C&C violated the governor's public health orders.

Video shows dozens of diners eating at Colorado restaurant on Mother's Day

Just a hypothetical question, but something I have been thinking about.

If COVID-19 has the mortality rate of Ebola, 40% to 90% in past outbreaks, would people take social distancing and stay-at-home more seriously?

Is it because many people don’t personally know anyone who had become seriously ill or died from COVID that they think everything should be opened up by now?

People in my city are super excited because it was just announced that public pools are opening May 24. I can’t even imagine letting my kids go to a public pool this summer, let alone May 24!! Yikes.

I fully expect that we will eventually find cases in December 2019 in the US.
-------------------------------------
"Ohio had six cases of the
coronavirus in five counties in January, state Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton said Monday.

The state data shows cases began Jan. 7 and Jan. 26 in Miami County, Jan. 13 in Montgomery, Jan. 18 in Richland, Jan. 20 in Summit and Jan. 27 in Warren.

The state knows of the cases now only because of antibody testing."

Ohio had 6 coronavirus cases in 5 counties in January, says Health Director Dr. Amy Acton

If COVID-19 has the mortality rate of Ebola, 40% to 90% in past outbreaks, would people take social distancing and stay-at-home more seriously?

Is it because many people don’t personally know anyone who had become seriously ill or died from COVID that they think everything should be opened up by now?

People in my city are super excited because it was just announced that public pools are opening May 24. I can’t even imagine letting my kids go to a public pool this summer, let alone May 24!! Yikes.
As the saying goes, you can't fix stupid.

WOW !...... Is the Virus a new form of Leprosy ?......Opinion - So much for wonderful "contact tracing"........moo

My pinky accidentally touched the pinky of a fast food worker's when she was handing me an ice cream. She jerked her hand away so strongly that the poor ice cream fell between the car and the wall.

At another fast food restaurant they put your stuff on a tray they stick out the window, and you swipe your own debit card.

Am I the only one who sometimes feels like this is some weird dream? I feel light-headed sometimes, it all seems so strange.

PS I go to fast food to get food for elderly sick person who will only eat fast food/restaurant food. He is so thin and frail. I eat home food.

As the saying goes, you can't fix stupid.

I'm not sure it's so much stupid as selfish. I know someone that got over CV 2 weeks ago. Had a house full for mother's day. No masks. Jmo

My pinky accidentally touched the pinky of a fast food worker's when she was handing me an ice cream. She jerked her hand away so strongly that the poor ice cream fell between the car and the wall.

At another fast food restaurant they put your stuff on a tray they stick out the window, and you swipe your own debit card.

Am I the only one who sometimes feels like this is some weird dream? I feel light-headed sometimes, it all seems so strange.

PS I go to fast food to get food for elderly sick person who will only eat fast food/restaurant food. He is so thin and frail. I eat home food.
Ok you have me laughing as I pictured the gal jerking when her pinky was touched. This is all so weird. I watch movies and when people are touching I cringe thinking OMG social distancing. I can't separate my initial reactions of seeing people touch on screen. Our personalities are being changed by this stinky bug.

I think when it was first said that 2.2 million Americans could die from COVID-19 many people panicked and were more than happy to stay home/stay safe. Now even as horrible as the death rate is, a lot of people are thinking it's not as bad as we were originally led to believe. I think the younger, less vulnerable adults are out of panic mode and are on their way back to normal.

Hope it's ok to post this. Just got an email from Menards. I bought 2 - 10 packs.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...tor-mask-10-pack/91324/p-4364363664279284.htm

KN95 Disposable Particulate Respirator Mask - 10 Pack
Model Number: 91324 Menards® SKU: 5616848

Final Price $ 21 97
/10pk
$24.69
11% Mail-In Rebate Good Through 5/16/20 $2.72

What's The Difference Between N95 and KN95 Masks? - Smart Air Filters

What’s The Difference Between N95 and KN95 Masks?

With such similar sounding names, it can be confusing to understand the difference between N95 and KN95 masks. What are KN95 masks, and are they the same as N95 masks? This handy chart explains the differences between N95 and KN95 masks (and all characteristics that are the same).

In short, N95 masks are the US standards for respirator masks; KN95 masks are the Chinese standards for masks. These are the requirements that the US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health requires manufacturers to meet in order to label their masks as N95s. Despite the long list of differences, the two masks are equivalent or nearly equivalent on the features that most people care about.

According to mask manufacturer 3M, “it is reasonable to consider” China’s KN95s “equivalent” to US N95s. Mask standards for Europe (FFP2), Australia (P2), Korea (KMOEL), and Japan (DS) are also highly similar.

Thanks for posting this! I ordered two packs, too. Husband can't wear them but I can. I'm amazed you found these !

Thanks for posting this! I ordered two packs, too. Husband can't wear them but I can. I'm amazed you found these !
They also have 3M respirator kits consisting of a valved respirator and googles. I am not sure how N95 those Chinese made KN95s are-apparently there are a lot of counterfeit masks made in China being sold right now. But 3Ms look like the real deal.

Thank you for that! Here in Washington state much discussion is going on about moving to phase two. Seattle now directs people to wear cloth masks while in public under certain conditions:
King County is directing people to wear cloth face coverings in certain settings to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus as more businesses and activities resume, officials said Monday.

The new directive, set to begin May 18, by Jeff Duchin, the county’s public health officer, says people should wear face coverings in indoor public spaces, such as supermarkets, and in outdoor public spaces, such as farmer’s markets, where social distancing guidelines are difficult to follow.

There won’t be a penalty for people who don’t wear face coverings and law enforcement will not be involved with the directive, said County Executive Dow Constantine and Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, who joined Duchin for a virtual news conference Monday. The policy won’t apply to deaf and hard-of-hearing people who rely on face and mouth movements to communicate.
Live: Coronavirus daily news updates, May 11: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state, and the nation

My county (Jefferson county Washington) is still discussing whether or not to go to phase two. One concern still on the table is the possibility that people will flock to our area if businesses and restaurants open up.

My town is a popular tourist spot and we have four state parks. I drove to one yesterday and it was jammed with people and cars. A park ranger was blocking the road down to the beach area which had many cars and people and wouldn't tell me why when I asked even though I have a pass required to go there.

The area was quite busy and people were parking and walking to the beach so I don't know if he was metering people or cars. The rest of the park was also full of parked cars. I didn't stay but I'd sure like to know what the procedure was. And as far as I know camping is still prohibited.

I wouldn't go on one of those cruises if you paid me. If the virus pops up its ugly head, you could be stranded like many others have already been, and then you have no friends. You get treated like the plague. No thanks.
I wasn’t a fan of cruises before the virus, never been into buffets, alcohol was expensive and it was elbow to elbow in the bath temp pool. Ugh

Ok you have me laughing as I pictured the gal jerking when her pinky was touched. This is all so weird. I watch movies and when people are touching I cringe thinking OMG social distancing. I can't separate my initial reactions of seeing people touch on screen. Our personalities are being changed by this stinky bug.

What cracks me up is when "live" shows or game shows come on now, they often have a trailer underneath stating "original airdate was x/xx/xxxx" so folks don't think or wonder WTH, are they having a live audience?

Just received an email memo from our Food Vendor, US Foods, Inc. regarding shortages. Most important to note, is certain food shortages, due to processing plants closing because of Covit-19.
Current operations are running at 60%.
There will be a shortage of beef, pork, chicken and turkey, imported seafood and shellfish.
All prices to rise substantially. (that old supply and demand equation).
So, if you have a freezer, you may want to quietly buy a few pounds for a rainy day.

I found this article interesting regarding why Florida has not been as hard hit. With all the international travelers and seniors living here, it was thought that it would have been much worse.

This article has analyzed lots of data that indicates that Floridians stayed home a lot earlier, and two weeks earlier than the governor locked down because people saw it coming and responded. I think cruise ship info from overseas and knowing how much of that business is in and out of FL , and DisneyWorld announcing closing as early as March 12, got everybody scared earlier!
I know my fears rose before many of my relatives and friends in other states.
How Florida slowed coronavirus: Everyone stayed home before they were told to
Yes, and I'm finding that most everyone I've seen at the grocery stores are wearing masks. Also, anyone that isn't wearing a mask, has kindly stepped aside when someone walks by. I am on the west coast of central Florida, and fortunately we still have low numbers of cases. People seem to be taking it very seriously, and now that many tourists have left, residents seem to be taking it seriously. MOO

I'll believe it when he gives us some real documentation on exactly how he collected samples. I don't think it's forthcoming - he doesn't sound like a science guy. JMO.

I totally agree.

There's a lot of that right now - which is to be expected. Two or three doctors conferring by the water cooler and deciding that "almost none of our patients seem to have done X" are not reliable. Many reasons. One situation where people have learned to fib is...medical care.

"I stay at home, I never go out," is a regular question on a CoVid intake form.

But, "Is everyone else in your household isolated?" is not asked often, because, well, doctors are supposed to focus on and treat the patient, and not interrogate about the doings of their family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle