Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add to that list:

7. Location of all immediate family members at the time, and their cell phone records
8. Bank/cc information
9. Possible geo data from wearable fitness tracker

These days, unless you and everyone you contact on a regular basis go completely (literally) off the grid, you can quite easily be tracked.
Unless the family members voluntarily agree, I don't think LE can get the cell phone records of the family without a warrant. They can almost certainly get SM's phone records because of the exigent circumstances of her disappearance. There was a 2018 Supreme Court decision on this -- Carpenter v. U.S.

First time I’ve seen that a FRIEND ( as opposed to neighbor) reported her missing.
Not sure if they are quoting the nephew, but they had just had the phone interview with him.
Dozens Search For Suzanne Morphew After Discovery Of 'Personal Item'

Morphew had gone biking Sunday while family says her husband was out of town in Denver. A friend reported her missing when she didn’t return home.

IMOO: Maybe she got off a panicked phone call to her neighbor and that’s why the neighbor reported her missing. That would explain the fast response of the police. The neighbor could have been in her emergency contacts for her phone if she was able to activate them or may have been the last number she dialed for easy redial. Few days to figure out where the cell phone pinged from and now they have a search area they are looking.
IMOO.
This here is excellent thinking. I never even thought of this. Who knows, she could have called or texted that neighbor and told them someone was stalking her or that she was scared about some person watching her, and when she didn't get back by a certain time, called the cops.

I agree it's a possibility but would the dogs have picked up on that? Seems like an animal attack would be full of scents for them?

I have no idea.

jmo

Well, if they just found an object, away from the bike, then the dogs need to restart from there. Maybe that's what they did early this morning. We don't know.

I agree that if a mountain lion had taken her, you would think by now the dogs would have been able to track her scent and there should have been scrapes and drag marks along the way, and possibly a blood trail, so you would think they would have been able to find her by now. So I agree it is not as likely but I have seen a coyote drag off a chicken (im still mad at it...LOL), and there may not be much blood because what they do is mainly first catch their prey and hold it in their mouth as they drag it off to a safer more isolated place where they will eventually kill it and eat their prey in isolation. So a lack of blood at the scene of the attack would not be surprising to me. Their main goal is to catch it and run off to a safer more isolated place.

If she fell off her bike and tried to outrun a mountain lion (thereby dropping something), one would think the dogs would have tracked to that newly found object. If the lion knocked her off and dragged her, I would think a good human tracker would see the signs of that.

So my mountain lion theory is actually pretty weak. I just prefer it to some of the other scenarios.

Maybe Suzanne managed to throw something from a vehicle ?
Paige Birgfield did that ; even though answers to her death were a long time afterwards.

How I wish Suzanne is just gone of her own volition and that her family will know what happened.

If she's found safe her family deserves to know why she left; but I think they'll be happy to have her back !!

My guess atm is that someone stopped her whom she was familiar with and things may have escalated ?
Otherwise the person driving would load up her bike with them.

Unless the family members voluntarily agree, I don't think LE can get the cell phone records of the family without a warrant. They can almost certainly get SM's phone records because of the exigent circumstances of her disappearance. There was a 2018 Supreme Court decision on this -- Carpenter v. U.S.

I was just speculating that LE asked the family members and they eagerly agreed to share that info, in the hopes it may be helpful in some way of locating her.

I don't find it as weird that her daughters weren't physically there with her at the house on MD, given that the older one was rumored to be away at college and the younger rumored to be off on a camping trip for the weekend, covid social distancing rules notwithstanding.

We really don't "know" where either daughter was that weekend, at least, not from an MSM source. The only thing we know via MSM is that the husband was reportedly away on a trip to Denver. Which is only 2 hours and 40 minutes from their home, by the way.

What I find extremely odd is that we're not hearing that either of her daughters OR her husband attempted to contact her that day to wish her a happy MD.

One would think if there were calls or texts to her cell that went unanswered that day, LE would have included that info as part of the known timeline surrounding her disappearance, i.e., "One of her daughters tried to reach her earlier on Sunday but her phone went straight to v/m, etc."

I'm finding it much too coincidental that she was apparently home alone for the weekend when she disappeared.

I also suspect it was a family member who contacted a neighbor and asked the neighbor to contact LE.

And if that's the case, that's just flat weird.

JMO.

I’m still catching up so this may have already been mentioned.

Is it possible that the reason why it would make sense for the family to ask the neighbor to call 911 is that you want to notify the right LE group and that’s not going to happen if you call 911 in Denver about a missing person in Salida?

Is it just me, or does it seem a bit invasive to anyone else, digging into the family's real estate holdings? I mean, maybe it's important but maybe it's not, and since LE haven't said a word about it, I'm not even sure how it factors in, or if it does at all?

Just me?
Maybe if foul play possible locations for her to be found. JMO

Intresting, maybe the friend was staying at the house.
Gosh, this could almost read like Abbie Flynn's case- expecting friends over for the Super Bowl, allegedly goes for a walk, disappears.

It could also be that a neighbor is also a friend. Maybe they were supposed to get together after Suzanne's bike ride?

If she fell off her bike and tried to outrun a mountain lion (thereby dropping something), one would think the dogs would have tracked to that newly found object. If the lion knocked her off and dragged her, I would think a good human tracker would see the signs of that.

So my mountain lion theory is actually pretty weak. I just prefer it to some of the other scenarios.
I know I couldn’t outrun a mountain lion no matter how good of shape someone is. I still want to know was she seen going on bike ride? By who? I’m sure they are pinging all phones in that area. Data dump. I just wonder if she went on bike ride. Hope she’s found alive.

Search for missing Chaffee County woman focuses on area where personal item found

9News link above includes about 2-minute audio with SM's nephew discussing the family's search efforts. To be clear, he's not speaking for LE efforts.

No confirmed time for the Friday afternoon presser yet.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but why do I feel like they're promoting this G F M more than anything?

I've seen more emphasis on this than anything else. Able to put up 200k(albeit 100k came from friend) reward within 48 hours but need 50k g f m.

This here is excellent thinking. I never even thought of this. Who knows, she could have called or texted that neighbor and told them someone was stalking her or that she was scared about some person watching her, and when she didn't get back by a certain time, called the cops.
Following that same line of thinking she could have been on the phone with the neighbor when the line went dead. No call back and the neighbor called it in. A Bluetooth ear piece or similar. Hard to say how hard she pushed her bike rides and maybe chatting with someone is feasible.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but why do I feel like they're promoting this G F M more than anything?

I've seen more emphasis on this than anything else. Able to put up 200k(albeit 100k came from friend) reward within 48 hours but need 50k g f m.
I didn't want to be the one that said it......but yeah, agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member