Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh oh.

"Number of cases over the eight-week analysis period were 0-19 years n = 515, 20-39 years n = 4078, 40-59 years n =4788, 60-79 years n = 3221, 80+ years n = 1332. New cases increased steadily among 0-19 and 20-39-year olds. After the peak (March 22, 2020), there was no decline among age 0-19 and a lesser decline among age 20-39 than older groups. As incidence declined in older age groups, the combined percentage of cases age 0-19 and 20-39 increased from 20% to 40% of total cases."

COVID-19 Confirmed Case Incidence Age Shift to Young Persons Age 0-19 and 20-39 Years Over Time: Washington State March - April 2020

I wonder if it's possible to create a combination vaccine for flu/covid in one shot. Kind of like MMR.
I am sure that it would be because that is what they did with H1N1 swine flu vax IIRC. They gave a special flu vax to over 65's two years ago because the pharmacist explained it to me when he gave me mine at the time. As CV19 is a specific threat to those over 65 and younger with pre existing conditions, then I suspect they will get any vax first. MOO.

Uh oh.

"Number of cases over the eight-week analysis period were 0-19 years n = 515, 20-39 years n = 4078, 40-59 years n =4788, 60-79 years n = 3221, 80+ years n = 1332. New cases increased steadily among 0-19 and 20-39-year olds. After the peak (March 22, 2020), there was no decline among age 0-19 and a lesser decline among age 20-39 than older groups. As incidence declined in older age groups, the combined percentage of cases age 0-19 and 20-39 increased from 20% to 40% of total cases."

COVID-19 Confirmed Case Incidence Age Shift to Young Persons Age 0-19 and 20-39 Years Over Time: Washington State March - April 2020
I wonder if that could be because all us oldies are sheltering. It's finding hosts wherever it can. I hope it means the virus is getting weaker too. MOO.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020, 6:41 AM EDT
Dogs are now being trained to sniff out people who have the coronavirus even before they show symptoms. Here's how this could work

4731ea09f36969045acbdfb678d5d652

Medical Detection Dogs trainer Rob Harris (not pictured) runs a training exercise with dog Florin in Milton Keynes, Britain, on March 31, 2020.

I wonder if that could be because all us oldies are sheltering. It's finding hosts wherever it can. I hope it means the virus is getting weaker too. MOO.
Most of them seem to have very mild or asymptomatic infection, so that's a plus for them. I don't see any indication that morbidity and mortality is increasing in those age groups even if cases are increasing, thankfully.

I think we already have two Americas.

but we only have one world. There is so much going on in many countries. The recent South Korean research was an excellent hope for having no re-infection. The Oxford study is promising. The World supported us so strongly after 9-11, we all really do have to work together. The world leaders must work together as we go forward with all this research and study..... When i communicate with some of my old buds in the UK..we just always talk about "air hugs"... we just have to hug each other in whatever way we can....especially when I think about how long, if ever, I will ever travel back there. :(

Well, we did have a Pandemic Response Team back in 2016. I wonder what happened to it.
"In an op-ed for the Washington Post, Beth Cameron, former Senior Director for Global Health Security and Biodefense in the NSC, wrote, “When President Trump took office in 2017, the White House’s National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense survived the transition intact.

“Its mission was the same as when I was asked to lead the office, established after the Ebola epidemic of 2014: to do everything possible within the vast powers and resources of the U.S. government to prepare for the next disease outbreak and prevent it from becoming an epidemic or pandemic. One year later, I was mystified when the White House dissolved the office, leaving the country less prepared for pandemics like covid-19” ( here ).

Three days later, Tim Morrison, former senior director for counterproliferation and biodefense on the NSC, wrote in another Washington Post Op-Ed, “It is true that the Trump administration has seen fit to shrink the NSC staff. But the bloat that occurred under the previous administration clearly needed a correction. … One such move at the NSC was to create the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate, which was the result of consolidating three directorates into one, given the obvious overlap between arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense. It is this reorganization that critics have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresented. If anything, the combined directorate was stronger because related expertise could be commingled” ( here )."

Partly false claim: Trump fired entire pandemic response team in 2018

Coronavirus: Pressure grows on Dominic Cummings over lockdown trip - BBC News

Live link that will have today's update later. For now it is all about the PM's special advisor and his quarantine trip. Basics of that story is the SA and his wife had CV19 and they travelled to grandparents in the north of England so someone could care for their child while they quarantined in a separate building. Big hoo ha going on over this and it is deflecting from the real stories like care home deaths. MOO.

ETA travel is considered essential and allowed for medical reasons in England so I think he is being targeted for non CV19 reasons IMO.

Advise please! We've been invited to our son and fiancee's for a cook out tomorrow. We could see our grandson, granddaughter and 2 soon to be grandsons who we haven't seen since late January. Fiancee's parents invited too who we haven't met yet. It would be outdoors with plenty of space for social distancing. Everyone there has followed strict guidelines for social distancing and masking, washing hands etc. I want to go soooo bad! We can take our own plates, utensils and pop. What do you think?

Ouch.

"Official statement from Bishop Provenzano about the White House directive to open churches for public events

Regardless of the misinformed and politically-motivated direction coming from the White House, the Church will continue to be the Church, caring for the safety of all people and protecting the health and well being of our parishioners.

No one is forcing the Bishop to open us his Church. He is given an OPTION. His situation is not necessarily the same as in Nebraska or Arizona, or anywhere else. I thought people liked having a choice.

Advise please! We've been invited to our son and fiancee's for a cook out tomorrow. We could see our grandson, granddaughter and 2 soon to be grandsons who we haven't seen since late January. Fiancee's parents invited too who we haven't met yet. It would be outdoors with plenty of space for social distancing. Everyone there has followed strict guidelines for social distancing and masking, washing hands etc. I want to go soooo bad! We can take our own plates, utensils and pop. What do you think?

Go and have a great day. If you don't, when will you go? Are you going to wait for your governor to clear everything? That could be weeks or months. If it does not feel right, you can always leave. Use your own instincts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa