MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN REMINDER:

Please stay on topic by discussing the issues specific to the killing of George Floyd and the officers involved.

All the surrounding racial issues and resulting protests and rioting are off topic in this thread.

And please refrain from making disparaging comments about the spouse of any of the officers involved. The wives of these LEOs are not responsible for the killing of George Floyd.

Thank you for staying on topic.

Thank you @sillybilly! I will stay on topic.

Your hard work and dedication to these threads is greatly appreciated!

If it weren't for Moderators here, this would no longer be the dignified and comfortable place for us to post. There's no other place on the internet that is like this except for Websleuths.

Last edited:
Okay good people ... here is what we are going to try.

I have spoken with Tricia. She wants you all to know that she is an "obnoxious liberal". I think/hope I got that wording precisely as she said it ;) Accordingly, Tricia would like a separate thread for members to discuss the protests and rioting.

Later on today, we will open a thread in the basement for such discussion. It will remain open as long as members post respectfully, responsibly, and without bickering or personalizing. It will be up to members whether the thread remains open or not.

When the new thread is ready, we'll post the link in this discussion thread.

"An off-duty firefighter who witnessed the end of Floyd’s struggle with police had seen him go from struggling to unresponsive."
What we know about the events surrounding George Floyd’s death and its aftermath: a timeline | MinnPost

It would be good to hear from this firefighter about what he saw and heard. Were the four cops fairly silent? Or was there chatter?

In this video it appears to me that one ex cop asked a woman if she was a firefighter. The woman responds with *yes I am*, she is recording with her cell and asking them to check his pulse. Can anyone else make out what the ex officer asked her? This is a graphic video for those not wanting to watch. At app 5:45 into the video is the exchange.

@oceanblueeyes I totally agree. I was very shocked to see 3rd degree murder. I thought it was obviously 1st degree murder. I think this charge was a slap in the face to a lot of people.

They pulled Mr Floyd out of the car, the accused pressed his knee on Mr Floyd's neck. Actions speak louder than words.

Even as the accused was killing Mr Floyd people were telling the accused:
Mr Floyd can't breathe,
You are killing him,
Check his pulse.

The accused was aware of his actions, he chose to continue. Premeditation.
MOO

In this video it appears to me that one ex cop asked a woman if she was a firefighter. The woman responds with *yes I am*, she is recording with her cell and asking them to check his pulse. Can anyone else make out what the ex officer asked her? This is a graphic video for those not wanting to watch. At app 5:45 into the video is the exchange.

Dear @Willow Knight,

I listened but couldn't make out what the ex officer said.

In my opinion, I believe we can be certain that the woman who identified herself as a fire fighter will be called as a witness to testify, with her cell video, in the trial.

It seems Mr. Floyd never posed a threat at any point.

And equally striking, none of these killers seem to be in fear, distressed by his behavior, or uncomfortable in any way. The whole scene appears fairly nonchalant. It is very odd that they would have felt the need to restrain him in this way.

And equally striking, none of these killers seem to be in fear, distressed by his behavior, or uncomfortable in any way. The whole scene appears fairly nonchalant. It is very odd that they would have felt the need to restrain him in this way.
The only thing they seemed to be uncomfortable with was the reaction from witnesses. All the protesting, pleading with the officers to stop, and warnings about him not being able to breathe went unheeded. Apparently it was more important to them to prove a point rather than evaluate the condition of the "suspect."

Last edited:
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6933248/27-CR-20-12646-Complaint.pdf
[Bold and some comments/questions by me]

As Officer Lane began speaking with Mr. Floyd, he pulled his gun
out and pointed it at Mr. Floyd’s open window and directed Mr. Floyd to show his hands. When Mr. Floyd
put his hands in the steering wheel, Lane put his gun back in its holster.

[Things started off badly]

While Officer Kueng was speaking with the front seat passenger, Officer Lane ordered Mr. Floyd out of the
car, put his hands on Mr. Floyd, and pulled him out of the car. Officer Lane handcuffed Mr. Floyd. Mr. Floyd
actively resisted being handcuffed.

Once handcuffed, Mr. Floyd became compliant and walked with Officer Lane to the sidewalk and sat on the
ground at Officer Lane’s direction. In a conversation that lasted just under two minutes, Officer Lang asked
Mr. Floyd for his name and identification. Officer Lane asked Mr. Lloyd if he was “on anything” and
explained that he was arresting Mr. Lloyd for passing counterfeit currency.

Officers Kueng and Lane stood Mr. Floyd up and attempted to walk Mr. Floyd to their squad car (MPD 320)
at 8:14 p.m. Mr. Floyd stiffened up, fell to the ground, and told the officers he was claustrophobic.

MPD Officers Derek Chauvin (the defendant) and Tou Thoa then arrived in a separate squad car.
The officers made several attempts to get Mr. Floyd in the backseat of squad 320 from the driver’s side.
Mr. Floyd did not voluntarily get in the car and struggled with the officers by intentionally falling down, saying
he was not going in the car, and refusing to stand still. Mr. Floyd is over six feet tall and weighs more than
200 pounds.

While standing outside the car, Mr. Floyd began saying and repeating that he could not breathe. The
defendant went to the passenger side and tried to get Mr. Floyd into the car from that side and Lane and
Kueng assisted.

[Are they are setting this up to be a health issue of GF?]

The defendant pulled Mr. Floyd out of the passenger side of the squad car at 8:19:38 p.m. and Mr. Floyd
went to the ground face down and still handcuffed. Kueng held Mr. Floyd’s back and Lane held his legs. The
defendant placed his left knee in the area of Mr. Floyd’s head and neck. Mr. Floyd said, “I can’t breathe”
multiple times and repeatedly said, “Mama” and “please,” as well. The defendant and the other two officers
stayed in their positions.

[If GF was IN THE CAR, why did DC remove him from the car?]

The officers said, “You are talking fine” to Mr. Floyd as he continued to move back and forth. Lane asked,
“should we roll him on his side?” and the defendant said, “No, staying put where we got him.” Officer Lane
said, “I am worried about excited delirium or whatever.” The defendant said, “That’s why we have him on his
stomach.” None of the three officers moved from their positions.

[I still don't understand what the officers were trying to accomplish here. What were they waiting for?]

BWC video shows Mr. Floyd continue to move and breathe. At 8:24:24, Mr. Floyd stopped moving. At
8:25:31 the video appears to show Mr. Floyd ceasing to breathe or speak. Lane said, “want to roll him on
his side.” Kueng checked Mr. Floyd’s right wrist for a pulse and said, “I couldn’t find one.” None of the
officers moved from their positions.

At 8:27:24, the defendant removed his knee from Mr. Floyd’s neck. An ambulance and emergency medical
personnel arrived, the officers placed Mr. Floyd on a gurney, and the ambulance left the scene. Mr. Floyd
was pronounced dead at Hennepin County Medical Center.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner (ME) conducted Mr. Floyd’s autopsy on May 26, 2020. The full
report of the ME is pending but the ME has made the following preliminary findings. The autopsy revealed
no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation.
Mr. Floyd had
underlying health conditions including coronary artery disease and hypertensive heart disease. The
combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by the police, his underlying health conditions and any
potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death.

[IMO this is the key to why they have charged him with only 3rd degree - "combined effects"]

The defendant had his knee on Mr. Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds in total. Two minutes and 53
seconds of this was after Mr. Floyd was non-responsive. Police are trained that this type of restraint with a
subject in a prone position is inherently dangerous.

I wonder if George had a history of having panic attacks?

It seems like he could have been experiencing one with the symptoms he was exhibiting at the time.

To be clear I'm referring to how he said he felt before he was on the ground.

Jmhoo

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed due to no link to image>

George seems like he was such a sweet man.

I saw a video where he is speaking. He seemed so warm, and genuine.

His girlfriend said he was a peaceful man, and wouldnt ever want to see what is happening now to his own community, and elsewhere.

I wish those who only want to create unrest, and destruction would honor George by only peacefully protesting.

Imo, that is what he would have wanted, and not the devastation, and violence that is occurring day after day.

It really dishonors George, and how he died.

Jmhoo

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes me wonder how many other cases got this whitewash treatment. Just to see how ridiculous this statement by the PD was versus the truth of what we saw on video:

On Monday evening, shortly after 8:00 pm, officers from the Minneapolis Police Department responded to the 3700 block of Chicago Avenue South on a report of a forgery in progress. Officers were advised that the suspect was sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence.

Two officers arrived and located the suspect, a male believed to be in his 40s, in his car. He was ordered to step from his car. After he got out, he physically resisted officers. Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center by ambulance where he died a short time later.

At no time were weapons of any type used by anyone involved in this incident.

I think it's so important to return to your point about minimizing and obfuscating in official police reports. It's not like the officers involved didn't KNOW their actions were witnessed and recorded. Are these guys so comfortable with creating their own reality that they're prepared to argue against it? IMO

Dear @Willow Knight,

I listened but couldn't make out what the ex officer said.

In my opinion, I believe we can be certain that the woman who identified herself as a fire fighter will be called as a witness to testify, with her cell video, in the trial.
Yes, he asked her if she was "really a firefighter." She said she was and continued to ask them to check his pulse and tell her what it was.

I just don't understand how the officers could ignore the people who kept saying he wasn't breathing and pleading with them to stop, whether they thought one of them was a firefighter or not. I think his only concern was that she might be a more credible witness.

Imo

Last edited:
Didnt the local DA at the PC today say more charges could come against the excop who murdered George? I may have heard it wrong though.

The reason I ask is I still dont understand why he is only charged with third degree, and manslaughter.

I think it should be up to a grand jury once the evidence has been presented to them. Imo in no way would they think it's only third degree.

As we know premeditation can be formed in mere seconds. He had to know putting his full weight on George's neck would cause irreversible harm resulting in severe brain damage or death. Yet he ignored all of the pleas by witnesses, and continued for 8 or 9 minutes in total including over 2 minutes after being told by another officer George had no pulse.

Even knowing these dangerous things he was doing he continued even after being warned.

Taking all of that into account it's reasonable to believe he knew George would die. By continuing it seems like he wanted George to die or to be severely harmed.

Imo, there was a purposeful intent on his part to do grave bodily harm by his own actions.

So how in the heck can that only be third degree or even worse simple manslaughter?

Imo, so give it to a GJ, and let them decide based on the evidence presented to them.

Jmho tho

Speaking as someone who works in an adult store in a mildly shady part of town.... I wouldn’t even bother calling the cops for a fake $20, honestly. Just like, you got something else to pay for your condoms? No? Cool, leave, I’m keeping this. We might share video surveillance with cops later like we do for shoplifters but I’ve only ever called the cops for bomb threats.

thank you. I am a nervous wreck, as my daughter is moving to the Philly area on Tuesday from Virginia. Thank God she will be staying at a friend's house in New Jersey until further notice (when she arrives in New Jersey, 25 minutes away from Philly). I'll be gray and old by the time my adventurous daughter is done with me!

Prayers for George's family and friends. RIP George. His death was brutal in my eyes and so uncalled for, it disgusts me.

Speaking as someone who works in an adult store in a mildly shady part of town.... I wouldn’t even bother calling the cops for a fake $20, honestly. Just like, you got something else to pay for your condoms? No? Cool, leave, I’m keeping this. We might share video surveillance with cops later like we do for shoplifters but I’ve only ever called the cops for bomb threats.
I never even knew they were supposed to call police.
I once tried to pay Dunkin Donuts and they refused to give me my order and said the money was counterfeit. I was actually mad at THEM, and told them I had to drive 45 minutes to get the cream filled munchkins because they didn't have them in the one closer to us. She told me she was sorry but she could not accept the money.

It never even crossed my mind that she would call the police. All I was worried about was going home and telling my daughter I couldn't get her favorite munchkins.

Last edited:
Yes, he asked her if she was "really a firefighter." She said she was and continued to ask them to check his pulse and tell her what it was.

I just don't understand how the officers could ignore the people who kept saying he wasn't breathing and pleading with them to stop, whether they thought one of them was a firefighter or not. I think his only concern was that she might be a more credible witness.

Imo
I imagine the observers advocating for Mr Floyd's life will be witnesses at the trial.

Beauty queen wife of Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin files for DIVORCE on same day he is arrested and charged with George Floyd's murder and says she is 'devastated' for the dead man's family

Beauty queen wife of Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin files for DIVORCE on same day he is arrested and charged with George Floyd's murder and says she is 'devastated' for the dead man's family

Maxine Shen and Alan Butterfield and Cheyenne Roundtree and Josh Boswell
13 hrs ago
The wife of the white police officer charged with killing George Floyd has now filed for divorce from him, her lawyer said Friday.

The announcement that Kellie Chauvin, a former Mrs. Minnesota winner, is seeking a divorce from Derek Chauvin comes on the same day that the fired cop was charged with murder over Floyd's death on Monday.

tmar,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member