MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family of Australian woman shot dead by Minneapolis policeman hoped city would change after his murder conviction - but George Floyd's death has destroyed that dream

Family of Australian woman shot dead by Minneapolis policeman hoped city would change after his murder conviction - but George Floyd's death has destroyed that dream

Australian Associated Press
16 hrs ago

Justine Ruszczyk Damond's family are deeply saddened by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis and 'greatly distressed by the manner in which he died'.

The Ruszczyks, from Sydney, said their hearts go out to Mr Floyd's grieving family.

Ms Ruszczyk Damond, a 40-year-old Australian life coach and yoga instructor, was shot dead by police officer Mohamed Noor in an alley behind her Minneapolis home in 2017.
'We are deeply saddened by Mr Floyd's death and greatly distressed by the manner in which he died.'

Noor was found guilty of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter by a Minneapolis jury last year and is serving a 12.5 year prison sentence.

The Ruszczyks also filed a civil lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis and won a $US20 million ($A30 million) settlement.

They hoped the culture and behaviour of Minneapolis police officers would change.

I heard a pundit - lawyer on MSNBC say that she thinks they need a 2nd autopsy: this one is fishy to me. How did he not die from asphyxia???? the autopsy read like an ME that was trying to help out the defendant. could be wrong but that is the way i see it.
Me too - the charging doc clearly was in DC's corner.

I would hope so. I'd also like to hear from people in the store. I still want to know if police ever verified the $20 was fake, or they just assumed it was true before they attempted to arrest him.
What's weird is usually a clerk will check a suspicious bill before accepting it. Why did the clerk accept it then call police. Also how did LE know it wasn't a bill the GF got as change somewhere else and he innocently passed it?

It just seems weird to me.

What's weird is usually a clerk will check a suspicious bill before accepting it. Why did the clerk accept it then call police. Also how did LE know it wasn't a bill the GF got as change somewhere else and he innocently passed it?

I suspect there is a lot more to this case than we are being told (by the media).

My apologies for sounding like a broken record. I have the habit of questioning "first reports" on anything when there usually is much more to the story.

While folks are arguing and lamenting about protestors and rioting, let’s not forget this is about the murder of a man, by law enforcement, that was viewed by the world. The murder of a man who begged he could not breathe and bystanders pleaded with the police to get off of him and eventually check for a pulse once unresponsive. The murder of a man.

In this video it appears to me that one ex cop asked a woman if she was a firefighter. The woman responds with *yes I am*, she is recording with her cell and asking them to check his pulse. Can anyone else make out what the ex officer asked her? This is a graphic video for those not wanting to watch. At app 5:45 into the video is the exchange.

From the context - I think he asked her if she was from Minneapolis, because she answers. “Yes, I am from Minneapolis!” JMO

I just watched the following interview with Courtney Ross, George Floyd's girlfriend of 3 years. (Courtney Ross is also referred to as Mr. Floyd's fiance in other articles)

At the video time mark of 2:28, she is asked if Mr. Floyd ever had any prior health issues and she replies no, that he was healthy, worked out all the time, that he used to play sports.

Video: George Floyd's girlfriend speaks out about his death | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I would hope so. I'd also like to hear from people in the store. I still want to know if police ever verified the $20 was fake, or they just assumed it was true before they attempted to arrest him.

It could have been fake, he could have received it as the change, too, or it could have been real. None of these facts was even remotely explains how a man dies from police excessive use of force. He did not kill anyone, he did not rape anyone, he did not resist arrest. This is lawlessness.

Yes, that's what happened to me. I don't remember where I got the change, but the cashier told me it looked fake. When I got home I called State Police and the officer explained how to check the bill to make sure it was authentic. He told me it was, but there were a lot of counterfeit bills going around in the area. I would imagine it happens more often in a large city.

It makes sense to me that police should check it, since apparently some cashiers don't know what to look for.

Last edited:
Knee On Neck Choke - The Real Life Mata Leao Strangle – BJJ World

This is interesting, it talks about how painful the "knee on neck choke hold" is. The knee has all of the pressure of the entire body, focused on one point, creating horrific pain, submission, and cuts the blood flow from the carotid artery.

I wonder if Chauvin has any MMA training, or Jujitsu training? This is not an approved police procedure. This is more in alignment with military training. Is Chauvin a veteran? Does he have military service?

Reviewing books, magazines, websites that Chauvin has, purchased, went to, would be interesting.

Will the trial be moved to another jurisdiction? Or will he just plead guilty?

This is just maddening and heartbreaking. The police (ALL of them on scene) were obviously on some kind of power trip. I mean to not get off the man’s neck after he was clearly unconscious is first degree murder to me. And every officer there who didn’t stop him was an accessory to murder.

And every officer there who didn’t stop him was an accessory to murder.
<rsbm>

Possible depraved heart charges?

The following is in regard to the Freddie Gray case:

To put that in layman’s terms, the charge of second degree depraved heart murder means that the prosecution thinks that the officer in question displayed “wanton indifference” to Freddie Gray’s life, and did not care whether or not the way he was being treated would result in his death. It is a heavier charge than negligent or involuntary manslaughter — depraved heart murder suggests that the perpetrator knew the act in question was dangerous and didn’t care.

<rsbm>

Possible depraved heart charges?

The following is in regard to the Freddie Gray case:

To put that in layman’s terms, the charge of second degree depraved heart murder means that the prosecution thinks that the officer in question displayed “wanton indifference” to Freddie Gray’s life, and did not care whether or not the way he was being treated would result in his death. It is a heavier charge than negligent or involuntary manslaughter — depraved heart murder suggests that the perpetrator knew the act in question was dangerous and didn’t care.

I'm wondering how long it will take until the wrongful death lawsuit to be filed by family (on behalf of child) on the city as to actions of the officer that has already been arrested. Perhaps they are waiting for the second autopsy to see if there is any bruising on his back or pooling of blood due to the knee in the back, in addition to different interpretation as to the totality taken into consideration. Excessive force causing death has a lesser threshold (civil) vs. criminal beyond reasonable doubt for the charges.

And for the civil lawsuit against the city for the other officers as they had bystander liability - that is if you are present while these things are taking place you have an affirmative requirement to prevent a fellow officer from using excessive force. Rather than to deter or alter, the others did nothing.

They may not get as much from the city (after many years) as the fundraiser site already has raised, but will pressure the city and lead to others supporting the justice in that civil suit.

$$$$$$

All above MOO

(was looking to see if there was a thread for Tony Timpa case in Texas here at WS to compare to, but didn't find one)

I suspect there is a lot more to this case than we are being told (by the media).

My apologies for sounding like a broken record. I have the habit of questioning "first reports" on anything when there usually is much more to the story.

Please read the charging document, which transcribes the events. Everything is on video. There is nothing more to it, it was a senseles act of violence by the MPD and George did nothing to deserve it.
I do wish the Daily Mail would cease being used as a source here though. Please check sources like AP, KMSP (local news) and the City Pages.

Woman Found Dead Inside Car In North Minneapolis Amid 2nd Night Of Looting, Fires

Riot police shooting civilians in their own homes, saying 'light em up''
Streamable - free video publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members