MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

I follow J4J on YT and just found out about this crime. It was strange to me how Julia's mom was so critical about trivial statements given by her GF.
Now I'm confused, I thought the man who did the Podcast was Julia's Grandfather? Is he the Mom's Grandfather?

I'm still waiting for Kim or Jennifer to do their interview for the podcast on Jayis4Justice on YouTube! If it ever happens, it should be interesting to say the least.
Just getting caught up on all the media coverage, it sounds like she may be a little hesitant on coming forth and telling her side of the story. I'm sorry that your family has had to go through all that you have since you loss your Julie. Bless you all, we all just want your family to get the justice that Julia deserves. AND hope that you continue what you are doing, and really hope that the rest of your family does the same. Justice for Julia

Last edited:
Now I'm confused, I thought the man who did the Podcast was Julia's Grandfather? Is he the Mom's Grandfather?
The Grandfather is Julia's. It is my understanding from various media snippets that he was the prime father figure until the Mom got married. Not sure how Julia and her sister were at that point.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I have tried to contact MLive Ann Arbor about doing a story on Julia's case. They seemed very interested but as of yet, no article that I know of. All I can do is keep trying to get her story out there in the public's eye. I won't quit and I'll keep trying until we have Justice for Julia!

In Michigan there are 1,177 untested rape kits. http://www.endthebacklog.org/michigan

Does one of these rape kits contain DNA that would match the DNA found at Julia's crime scene? Read this article - it is a *very* worthy read, and shows how not testing rape kits can lead to serial killers on the loose. Credit to Websleuther @Yemelyan for sharing this powerful article on the Abby/Libby thread.

Perhaps our answer is sitting on a shelf in one of those 1,177 untested rape kits....

An Epidemic of Disbelief

2019 Michigan Rape Kit tracking system
MCOLES - Michigan's Sexual Assault Kit Tracking System

Last edited:
In Michigan there are 1,177 untested rape kits. http://www.endthebacklog.org/michigan

Does one of these rape kits contain DNA that would match the DNA found at Julia's crime scene? Read this article - it is a *very* worthy read, and shows how not testing rape kits can lead to serial killers on the loose. Credit to Websleuther @Yemelyan for sharing this powerful article on the Abby/Libby thread.

Perhaps our answer is sitting on a shelf in one of those 1,177 untested rape kits....

An Epidemic of Disbelief

2019 Michigan Rape Kit tracking system
MCOLES - Michigan's Sexual Assault Kit Tracking System

Whew, this is enough to upset Mother Teresa I heard on the news about these rape kits not being tested, is it because they are expensive to test?

Whew, this is enough to upset Mother Teresa I heard on the news about these rape kits not being tested, is it because they are expensive to test?
I'm sure money is part of it, but it's also person power. Law enforcement, including the labs, are grossly underfunded and understaffed based on the need.

I have contacted MLive in Ann Arbor and the Detroit Free Press. MLive did answer and I have been emailing one of their reporters there. I have not been given a reporter's name for the Detroit Free Press. I will check with the Monroe News in Monroe, MI to see if they would be interested. I feel that we do need some publicity of Julia's murder to try to get some clues and action by the Ypsilanti Police Department who maintains that "this is a solvable case and we don't need any outside help"! Onward and upward....... Justice for Julia.

I have contacted MLive in Ann Arbor and the Detroit Free Press. MLive did answer and I have been emailing one of their reporters there. I have not been given a reporter's name for the Detroit Free Press. I will check with the Monroe News in Monroe, MI to see if they would be interested. I feel that we do need some publicity of Julia's murder to try to get some clues and action by the Ypsilanti Police Department who maintains that "this is a solvable case and we don't need any outside help"! Onward and upward....... Justice for Julia.
It’s been a long journey to justice, but advances in DNA technology are growing at an astonishing rate. It won’t be long and your phone will ring......”we got a DNA hit”.
That day is coming.

God Bless you and your family
Justice for Julia!

Wonder why the YPSI LE isn’t excepting outside help. Is it because Julia’s Mom and Step Dad won’t give a formal statement? I know I’d give anything LE asked me for. And why haven’t I seen any YPSI media release in the last 5 years or so? Justice for Julia

I'm sure money is part of it, but it's also person power. Law enforcement, including the labs, are grossly underfunded and understaffed based on the need.

It is partly not giving enough of a damn to allocate the funds. There are private labs that can do this testing for as little or less than state crime labs, but the directors of the state crime labs are incentivized to lobby for new labs and personnel to increase their capacity, rather than see those funds go to private entities. There hasn't been enough pressure on legislatures and law enforcement to get this done. My state (NC) finally started taking this seriously a year ago, and so have others. It is extremely short-sighted not to allocate the funds, since we're learning now that many men who commit sexual assaults are "one man crime sprees," committing murders, robberies, multiple rapes and other crimes.

Wonder why the YPSI LE isn’t excepting outside help. Is it because Julia’s Mom and Step Dad won’t give a formal statement? I know I’d give anything LE asked me for. And why haven’t I seen any YPSI media release in the last 5 years or so? Justice for Julia
Perhaps LE has already identified their prime suspect, and needs additional DNA studies to present an air tight case to the DA. THat's just a guess.

As to why Julia's mother isn't cooperating/speaking to LE (if she isn't). There could be a long laundry list of reasons; denial, deflection, dissociation, fear, misplaced loyalty, confusion, bad advice, avoidance of pain....the list goes on.

None of us know, and likely the mom doesn't either. The mere fact she is able to function given the horrific circumstances, is a testimony to her determination and strength. Chances are that enough time has passed, and she might have a new perspective, or memories about the situation. I do believe she will find the strength to talk to LE at some point, and I think we should all surround her with good thoughts and prayers to find the strength to do so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back