GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot in Wendy’s car park, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just from what I'm aware of so far, I feel they were justified. You've got a guy who was difficult to rouse in a drive up lane, appearing to be under the influence of something, resisting arrest, stealing a taser, and fleeing. As far as I know, fast food restaurants aren't in the middle of large fields. He could have tased anyone. If he wasn't properly trained he could have done serious damage with that thing. Can you imagine getting tased in the eye? Around here, EMTs have to remove the barbs, LE cannot. So, yes. So much potential danger. Jmo
You cannot use lethal force on someone based on what You think they might do later. It has to be an imminent threat with intent and you have to be in “jeopardy” of said threat.

Do you think pointing a taser is not "imminent threat"? Jmo
No, the police routinely threaten and coerce people with tazers all the time. I have not seen a serious person suggest that a tazer is a lethal weapon unless of course someone has an unknown medical condition.

I think grabbing an officer’s taser is a crime. Caught on tape.
People are found guilty of a crime in a court of law not on a public discussion forum. Besides, it doesn’t matter, what should really concern you is whether or not his constitutional rights were violated. One thing leads to another...

Who knows why Brooks behaved the way he did other than wanting to get away. Maybe he’s on probation?? Maybe he had something on him?? Maybe he was just too drunk to know why.
And it is a valid point, he was trying to get away. I really want to know the reasons given for firing the officer. The other officer wasn’t fired.

I too wish that we knew more about the reasons given for the officers firing and the chief quitting.

He was trying to get away from the officers, why, i dont know. I’ve done somethings i wished I had not. The officer gets to go home to his family, Mr. Brooks does not.

BBM

Not always:

Blake Snyder

St. Louis County police officer killed in South County; teen faces murder charge

Natalie Corona

The story behind this image of slain Davis police officer Natalie Corona

How Rayshard Brooks Was Fatally Shot by the Atlanta Police

Police footage and video filmed by a witness, Tiachelle Brown, shows Mr. Brooks grappling with the officers on the ground. Officer Rolfe says, “Stop that. Stop fighting, stop fighting,” and Officer Brosnan shouts, “You’re going to get Tased.”

Mr. Brooks says “Mr. Rolfe, come on man. Mr. Rolfe.” He seizes a Taser from Officer Brosnan, stands up and punches Officer Rolfe. Officer Rolfe fires his Taser gun. The darts hit Mr. Brooks, and Officer Rolfe continues trying to stun him.

Mr. Brooks runs away, holding Officer Brosnan’s Taser gun. Officer Rolfe gives chase, and continues to try to stun Mr. Brooks.

The security camera footage filmed at Wendy’s shows Officer Rolfe chasing Mr. Brooks. In seconds, Officer Rolfe passes his Taser from his right hand to his left hand, and reaches for his handgun.

While being chased, and in full stride, Mr. Brooks looks behind him, points the Taser he is holding in Officer Rolfe’s direction, and fires it. The flash of the Taser suggests that Mr. Brooks did not fire it with any real accuracy.

Officer Rolfe discards the Taser he is carrying, draws his handgun and fires it three times at Mr. Brooks as he is running away. Mr. Brooks falls to the ground.

11:23 p.m. For the next minute, Officer Rolfe and Officer Brosnan stand over Mr. Brooks, who is injured but moving on the ground, and occasionally reach down to him. Officer Brosnan appears to use his radio. Neither officer appears to provide medical assistance to Mr. Brooks. Another police car arrives at the scene.

11:24 p.m. Another video shows Officer Rolfe running back to his S.U.V. and calling for help over his radio. Bystanders denounce the shooting to a third police officer who is at the scene.

11:25 p.m. Officer Rolfe and Officer Brosnan begin to provide medical assistance. Officer Rolfe appears to unroll a bandage and place it on Mr. Brooks’s torso.

11:30 p.m. An ambulance arrives. Eight minutes later, Mr. Brooks is taken to a hospital, where he dies after surgery.

I am not going to go by what the Brooks family attorney is saying. A taser is a less-lethal weapon, not non-lethal. People have died from being tasered.

Ok, I've had enough of this. This man pointed a taser at an on duty police officer, failed to follow lawful orders, resisted arrest. I don't give a flying flute about either of their pasts. If I was that officer I would have felt my life was in danger. Our officers are not punching bags or targets for practice. I miss Ronald Reagan.

Police footage and video filmed by a witness, Tiachelle Brown, shows Mr. Brooks grappling with the officers on the ground. Officer Rolfe says, “Stop that. Stop fighting, stop fighting,” and Officer Brosnan shouts, “You’re going to get Tased.”

Mr. Brooks says “Mr. Rolfe, come on man. Mr. Rolfe.” He seizes a Taser from Officer Brosnan, stands up and punches Officer Rolfe. Officer Rolfe fires his Taser gun. The darts hit Mr. Brooks, and Officer Rolfe continues trying to stun him.

Mr. Brooks runs away, holding Officer Brosnan’s Taser gun. Officer Rolfe gives chase, and continues to try to stun Mr. Brooks.

The security camera footage filmed at Wendy’s shows Officer Rolfe chasing Mr. Brooks. In seconds, Officer Rolfe passes his Taser from his right hand to his left hand, and reaches for his handgun.

While being chased, and in full stride, Mr. Brooks looks behind him, points the Taser he is holding in Officer Rolfe’s direction, and fires it. The flash of the Taser suggests that Mr. Brooks did not fire it with any real accuracy.

Officer Rolfe discards the Taser he is carrying, draws his handgun and fires it three times at Mr. Brooks as he is running away. Mr. Brooks falls to the ground.

11:23 p.m. For the next minute, Officer Rolfe and Officer Brosnan stand over Mr. Brooks, who is injured but moving on the ground, and occasionally reach down to him. Officer Brosnan appears to use his radio. Neither officer appears to provide medical assistance to Mr. Brooks. Another police car arrives at the scene.

11:24 p.m. Another video shows Officer Rolfe running back to his S.U.V. and calling for help over his radio. Bystanders denounce the shooting to a third police officer who is at the scene.

11:25 p.m. Officer Rolfe and Officer Brosnan begin to provide medical assistance. Officer Rolfe appears to unroll a bandage and place it on Mr. Brooks’s torso.

11:30 p.m. An ambulance arrives. Eight minutes later, Mr. Brooks is taken to a hospital, where he dies after surgery.

11:24 would the officer been running to the SUV for a medical bag/first aid kit? The bandage came from somewhere. Jmo

So the officer drew his gun after Mr. Brooks pointed and may have fired the tazer at the officer and turned away. If this is so the officer knew it was a taser. But, he would also know he was not in imminent threat of deadly force. Again, you cannot use deadly force based on what you think someone might do next, besides Mr. Brooks is clearly running away and not a threat at least accrding to this account.

Ok, I've had enough of this. This man pointed a taser at an on duty police officer, failed to follow lawful orders, resisted arrest. I don't give a flying flute about either of their pasts. If I was that officer I would have felt my life was in danger. Our officers are not punching bags or targets for practice. I miss Ronald Reagan.
Politics and current events do rile ones emotions, but I am trying to look at a bigger picture and trying to make justice the ultimate arbitrator of my reasoning. I think things need to change as they clearly cannot continue on this path much longer. Law enforcement can change And I believe without endangering public safety, in fact I think it will be better for it.

IMO BLM shouldn’t hitch their wagon to this shooting.

Anyone who grabs an officer’s weapon should realize the officer has a right to defend himself. Justifiable shooting, IMO. Unfortunate that the man’s choices caused his death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant