OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #55

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeWine said the Wagner family studied the Rhoden family members and plotted their deaths over the course of several months.

"We believe that the Wagners conspired together to develop an elaborate plan to kill the eight victims under the cover of darkness, and then carefully cover their tracks," DeWine said.

The indictments allege that the suspects purchased ammunition, a magazine clip, brass catcher(s) and a bug detector in preparation for the crimes.

The indictments accuse the Wagners of tampering with phones, cameras, a silencer, shell casings and parts of a home security system.

DeWine said the Wagners shot and killed the eight Rhodens in the dead of night. He said most of the Rhodens were killed as they slept.

"The evidence will show the suspects spent months planning the crimes. They studied the victims' habits and routines. They knew the layouts of their homes. They knew where they slept," DeWine said.

The Wagners have been on the radar of federal authorities since the summer of 2017, but investigators had always stopped short of calling them suspects. They were longtime friends with the Rhodens -- who lived in nearby Peebles, Ohio, at the time of the killings -- before they moved to Alaska.

Edward "Jake" Wagner was the ex-boyfriend of Hannah Rhoden -- one of the eight dead -- and the father of her 2-year-old child. The pair were in a custody dispute at the time of the killings.

DeWine said that custody dispute is at the center of the case.

"Because this is an open prosecution, we won't be able to say much about motive. But you'll see from the indictment that custody of that young child plays a role in this case," DeWine said.

Edward "Jake" Wagner is also charged with unlawful sexual conduct with a minor for having sexual contact with Hanna May Rhoden when she was 15 years old and he was 20 years old.

Shortly after the massacre, there was considerable talk of drugs as the reason for what happened.

DeWine conceded there was "an undercurrent of drugs," but that there was no evidence of a drug-related motives to the crimes.

DeWine added that the Wagner family acted quickly and mercilessly, covering up its tracks by tampering with the victims' phones and surveillance video.

The victims were executed very carefully, DeWine said, stating that the cover-up made the Wagners hard to track.

But investigators said the suspects left traces. The final bit of physical evidence surfaced two weeks ago. Authorities did not disclose what that was.

DeWine said two other people were arrested on suspicion of attempting to cover up the crimes.

Rita Newcomb, 65, the mother of Angela Wagner, and Fredericka Wagner, 76, the mother of George Wagner, were arrested on suspicion of misleading authorities, DeWine said.

Both face charges of obstructing justice and perjury for allegedly misleading investigators over the course of the investigation. Newcomb is also charged with forgery.

Authorities: Custody dispute played role in slaying of 8

Jmo but did anyone hear exactly what Angela’s attorney said to her before she left. I believe he was telling her they would be watching those books (I took meaning jail as in don’t do anything wrong) and she basically understood, but the very last part did he tell her to continue to work or that he would continue to work?

I didn’t hear what was said but he very well could have warned her no funny business. She could have thought someone could send her a fake Amazon pkg with info tucked into a book. Lawyer could have been shutting that idea down before prison staff does LOL JMO

I'm still scratching my head over the attached article and what JW said in July 2016, that he picked up SW at DR's home from HR on the night of the murders. The W family position was that HR dropped SW off at their home on April 12. Huge difference. Red flag! Those of us on this forum at the time this article was published could see there were some real issues with what JW said in this interview.

He was also doing a to try to get $20,000. What legal expenses did he have? He had to fill out a form and write a statement and get one from his mother to get custody of SW after the murders. That's it. JMO, he was going for a pity play to try to profit from committing mass homicide. He may have had some legal expenses before the murders, if he was trying to obtain full custody of SW, but from the way it sounds, he was "ok" with the mutually agreed upon arrangement they had. If they were in agreement on the shared arrangement, I think the legal expenses would be minimal.

Too many details to keep the collective story straight. One thing I'm hopeful to learn during the trials is exactly when did LE begin to suspect the Wags?

Rhoden case: 'Hate seeing my daughter cry'

Prosecutors say the Wagners — George "Billy" III, 47; Angela, 48; and sons Edward "Jake," 26, and George IV, 27 — hacked into the Rhoden family's computers and social media accounts, maybe even listened in on their phone conversations. They say the foursome used countersurveillance devices to search the Rhoden properties to see where video cameras might be recording their own movements or picking up their sounds.

Exhaustive investigation leads to break in Pike County murder case

I didn’t hear what was said but he very well could have warned her no funny business. She could have thought someone could send her a fake Amazon pkg with info tucked into a book. Lawyer could have been shutting that idea down before prison staff does LOL JMO

And that's just the kind of thing she would try! JMO

Agreed. I’d also like to add that Dana’s home was newly purchased. Jake probably wanted to put up that crib to get a layout of where everyone slept. If Dana Was killed in her room, and dna from Jake was left behind as a result, I’m not exactly sure how his lawyer would spin it.
Welcome: Not Hammer Toed:

Family members have said the Wagners and Rhodens were "business partners." In what? I'd like to hear your opinions. IMO it won't be long into the trials until this starts coming out. TY

It’s my opinion (not a popular one) that Chris Sr and the Wagner men were in the business of distribution of marijuana. A while back I read Chrir Sr grew some very good grade marijuana. Also read that he was a man who would give you the shirt off his back so why not involve the daughters boyfriend in his side hustle. Everything’s going good until Jake gets abusive then the benefits so to say end. That’s when the planning began.

NotHammerToed said:
Wonder what kind of books they are? Also will they be checked for tampering in any way?

From what I understand - prisoners can received books ONLY from the publisher/distribution point - so there is NO tampering. They will not accept books from individuals.
At least that is how it is in California....

And
welcome-wagon.gif

to WS & this case!

I'm still scratching my head over the attached article and what JW said in July 2016, that he picked up SW at DR's home from HR on the night of the murders. The W family position was that HR dropped SW off at their home on April 12. Huge difference. Red flag! Those of us on this forum at the time this article was published could see there were some real issues with what JW said in this interview.

He was also doing a *** to try to get $20,000. What legal expenses did he have? He had to fill out a form and write a statement and get one from his mother to get custody of SW after the murders. That's it. JMO, he was going for a pity play to try to profit from committing mass homicide. He may have had some legal expenses before the murders, if he was trying to obtain full custody of SW, but from the way it sounds, he was "ok" with the mutually agreed upon arrangement they had. If they were in agreement on the shared arrangement, I think the legal expenses would be minimal.

Too many details to keep the collective story straight. One thing I'm hopeful to learn during the trials is exactly when did LE begin to suspect the Wags?

I think LE began to suspect the W4 in mid May 2017 (right before they left for AK) judging by dates below listed in media/timeline thread:

May 8, 2017 interview with BW
May 12/13 BCI searches performed
May 13 interview with AW
May 15 BCI seizure/search of W4 trailers at friend's car lot
May 15 BCI finds out JM removed the tracker on his truck
May 16 interview with AW
May 16 JM arrested
May 18 BCI searches Ford Excursion belonging to AW
May 21 interviews with all of the W4 (including the only interview of GW4)
May 22 charges against JM dropped

IMO, when JM charges were dropped so abruptly and he was never pursued again by LE, it is a pretty clear indication LE had figured out the W4 had committed the murders. Again, JMO

<mod snip>

I am really confused why AW would wear jail stripes today when she is allowed to wear street clothes. Part of a defense tactic? In any case I would think she wants to appear as innocent to the public as she can. Only thing I can think of is that she is going for sympathy, look at what those awful Wagners have done to me.

IMO, if JW abused HMR, I'd not be surprised if G4 abused his ex-wife as well. Abuse is often a learned behavior. I would not be surprised if Billy abused AW also.

This is completely JMO, MOO, just trying to figure out AW's appearance/wardrobe in court today.
MOO but I think all the Wag men were abusive and controlling. It was a learned behavior. Women in an generational abusive relationship will exhibit to outsiders a strong -willed personality, but are submissive to their husbands. They always stand strong by their spouse, if he's angry you have to deal with her anger too.

He was also doing a *** to try to get $20,000. What legal expenses did he have? He had to fill out a form and write a statement and get one from his mother to get custody of SW after the murders. That's it. JMO, he was going for a pity play to try to profit from committing mass homicide. He may have had some legal expenses before the murders, if he was trying to obtain full custody of SW, but from the way it sounds, he was "ok" with the mutually agreed upon arrangement they had. If they were in agreement on the shared arrangement, I think the legal expenses would be minimal.

This is my personal opinion but I think JW lied about he got SW.

I think LE began to suspect the W4 in mid May 2017 (right before they left for AK) judging by dates below listed in media/timeline thread:

May 8, 2017 interview with BW
May 12/13 BCI searches performed
May 13 interview with AW
May 15 BCI seizure/search of W4 trailers at friend's car lot
May 15 BCI finds out JM removed the tracker on his truck
May 16 interview with AW
May 16 JM arrested
May 18 BCI searches Ford Excursion belonging to AW
May 21 interviews with all of the W4 (including the only interview of GW4)
May 22 charges against JM dropped

IMO, when JM charges were dropped so abruptly and he was never pursued again by LE, it is a pretty clear indication LE had figured out the W4 had committed the murders. Again, JMO

Agree with the dates you've given, but that interview from July 2016 was a real treasure trove of deception. Not long after, AW "corrected" the story about how and when JW took possession of the child from HR. In terms of crushing legal expenses - what expenses? He's the dad and the mom is deceased. There was no one alive in mom's immediate family to stand in his way.

Agree with the dates you've given, but that interview from July 2016 was a real treasure trove of deception. Not long after, AW "corrected" the story about how and when JW took possession of the child from HR. In terms of crushing legal expenses - what expenses? He's the dad and the mom is deceased. There was no one alive in mom's immediate family to stand in his way.

I agree.

This is my personal opinion but I think JW lied about he got SW.

MOO but I think all the Wag men were abusive and controlling. It was a learned behavior. Women in an generational abusive relationship will exhibit to outsiders a strong -willed personality, but are submissive to their husbands. They always stand strong by their spouse, if he's angry you have to deal with her anger too.
https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov...Prosecutions/PikeCountyMurderIndictments.aspx

The burnt video record must have belonged to Edward Jacob Wagner according to his indictment? JMO

Are you referring to his purchase of a video recording device in March 2016, as stated in Count 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa