GUILTY DE - Smyrna, Wht/HispFemale, 2-5, 'Baby Elle', ball field, 13 Sept 2019 - Emma Cole *arrests*

Police still searching for identity of girl's remains found in Smyrna, Delaware field

5704839_111819-wpvi-child-remains-found-smyrna-reconstruction-images-img.jpg

Thursday marks the five month anniversary of the discovery of a child's remains in an open area in Smyrna, Delaware.

Detectives said they believe the remains belonged to a girl between two and five years old, who was either white or Hispanic with slightly wavy brown hair.

Police released facial reconstruction images of a young girl but no one has yet to identify her.
---
Investigators found the girl's remains on September 13, 2019, near softball fields in Smyrna after a dog retrieved a bone. When the bone was discovered to be human, police came to the scene and found the uncovered and unburied remains.
---
Police ask anyone who thinks the girl looks familiar to contact them. They are seeking tips to help them figure out what happened to the little girl.

Police still searching for identity of girl's remains found in Smyrna, Delaware field

Perhaps her family's immigration status is an issue and they were not able to provide her with the care needed for a chronic illness. Maybe they were too afraid to call attention to their plight. Then again, it could be a really cold-hearted parent/caretaker - we've seen a few in the news recently. So sad.

Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:38PMSMYRNA, Delaware (WPVI) -- Thursday marks the five month anniversary of the discovery of a child's remains in an open area in Smyrna, Delaware.

Detectives said they believe the remains belonged to a girl between two and five years old, who was either white or Hispanic with slightly wavy brown hair.

Police released facial reconstruction images of a young girl but no one has yet to identify her.

I've had this same thought about immigration status. It could explain quite a bit.

And doesn't it seem like they wanted her to be found? Leaving her on a field not far from a school rather than a remote place. It could just be panic and rushing to find a place to put her, but it could also be they thought she'd be given a nice formal burial after being found.
My current opinions.

I do not live in Smyrna but worked there for nearly 10 years. It is small and many drug users. Lots of families with children living in the run down motels in Smyrna and nearby Dover. I had no idea where this ball field was until I used Google maps, although I’ve driven that road many many times. My guess is Baby Elle is local and came from negligent/addicted parents.

I've had this same thought about immigration status. It could explain quite a bit.

And doesn't it seem like they wanted her to be found? Leaving her on a field not far from a school rather than a remote place. It could just be panic and rushing to find a place to put her, but it could also be they thought she'd be given a nice formal burial after being found.
My current opinions.

But it doesn't sound like she was out in the open. It sounds like she was back under the brush at the edge of the field. Am I misreading?

But it doesn't sound like she was out in the open. It sounds like she was back under the brush at the edge of the field. Am I misreading?

You may be correct. I don't know where she was placed or if covered somewhat. But I'm focusing on that this wasn't a rural location, she wasn't buried deep, it's a place she'd be likely eventually found, since it's near ball fields and not some remote location. At least that's how I see it.

You may be correct. I don't know where she was placed or if covered somewhat. But I'm focusing on that this wasn't a rural location, she wasn't buried deep, it's a place she'd be likely eventually found, since it's near ball fields and not some remote location. At least that's how I see it.

That's a good point.

Possibly the person expected her to be found sooner.

That's a good point.

Possibly the person expected her to be found sooner.

Bumping for baby Elle. Someone must know who she is :(

Nothing new to report. Sadly. I hope LE is still investigating in that area. Sigh.

Perhaps the police should try to do a genetic background of her DNA to tell them more? I've been watching the show "Genetic Detective" with CeCe Moore. The way she finds out who murderers are by going back through their family tree using DNA is amazing. It would work the same for finding the parents of this little girl, or at least close relatives.

Perhaps the police should try to do a genetic background of her DNA to tell them more? I've been watching the show "Genetic Detective" with CeCe Moore. The way she finds out who murderers are by going back through their family tree using DNA is amazing. It would work the same for finding the parents of this little girl, or at least close relatives.

They are identifying people this way, but they aren't typically taking on the younger children's cases. I think because unidentified children are more likely to be victims of a parent, that complicates it. Here's a WS thread about one of these efforts to identify people using DNA for those interested:
DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

They are identifying people this way, but they aren't typically taking on the younger children's cases. I think because unidentified children are more likely to be victims of a parent, that complicates it. Here's a WS thread about one of these efforts to identify people using DNA for those interested:
DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Yes, that's DNA Doe Project's policy, but there are plenty of other genealogists who will take children's cases - Parabon, Identifunders, Barbara Rae-Venter to name a few. There are plenty of options should investigators choose to pursue this route to identify her. We can only hope this is being worked on.

A charred or burned body may not have enough DNA or enough quality DNA to test. If there’s very little DNA, any testing may use up the sample, making it a one shot try. I’m hoping the remains were not charred completely. This little princess deserves someone who loves her to take her home and lay her to rest.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back