DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Information & Discussion' started by MelmothTheLost, Apr 24, 2018.

1. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Active Member

I thought it would be useful to have a general discussion thread for the DNA Doe Project where we can discuss their work and techniques in general terms, which cases we'd like to see them tackle, which cases (if any) we think should maybe have priority over others, talk about the cases they choose to take on and so on.

This is a rather out of the way part of the board but I couldn't see anywhere with higher traffic where this discussion would fit comfortably. Is there anywhere you think it would fit better? If so, I will ask the Mods to move it where it could be seen by more people.

2. Loading...

3. MelmothTheLost

One of the reasons for starting this is to ask which type of cases others think should be the priority for DDP (despite it really being none of our business of course). Put it another way, if you were one of the main movers and shakers there which cases would you prioritise and why, assuming no issues over funding individual cases?

For me the order of priority would be:

Murder victims
    Accidental deaths
    Natural causes
    Suicides

For me murder victims are the Number 1 priority. They need and deserve justice, and the first step in providing that in many of these cases is to identify the victim. They didn't choose to end their lives and deprive themselves of a future. Identifying them does not only return them to their families but hopefully leads to their killer or killers being held accountable for their deaths, even many decades after the event and even if their killer or killers have gone on afterwards to lead exemplary lives.

I know how much of a "following" Lyle Stevik and Annandale Jane Doe have here, but the fact that these individuals went to great lengths to conceal their identity means that for me the lengths the authorities go to in order to identify them has an element of intrusion into their privacy which I am slightly uncomfortable with. Their privacy and anonymity seem to have been very important to them and much as I like a mystery to be solved part of me wants to respect their wishes in that regard.

Accidental and natural deaths fall somewhere in the middle for me. Cases of these types that I'd particularly like to see resolved are Bibb County John Doe (https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-WhtMale-UP13483-14-17-MVA-hitchhiking-Mar-61) and Las Vegas (Greyhound Bus Station) Jane Doe (https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...em-UP355-55-60-in-bus-station-restroom-Jul-82). The latter is already on the DDP list of cases under consideration but the former is not.

It's just possible that Bibb County JD has one or both parents still wondering what happened to him. Much more likely he has one or more siblings wondering. It's also possible that the girl in the photo he was carrying may be wondering why he never wrote to tell her how he was getting on.

Las Vegas JD would probably be in her mid-90s now so it's unlikely she has even siblings wondering about her, but she might well have children or nieces/nephews wondering what happened to their aunt.

How would you prioritise cases?

4. mpnola

mpnola Well-Known Member

Does this thread only have 2 posts? Because they have idenrifled Lyle and Buckskin Girl! The things they have done so quickly is nothing short of amazing! Is there a different thread following their progress?

MelmothTheLost and EuTuCroquet? like this.
  5. MelmothTheLost

There's been no real interest in the thread, which is somewhat surprising (and disappointing) considering the amazing work DDP have done so far. Unfortunately this part of the forum doesn't seem to get much traffic though it seems to be the only appropriate place to discuss the subject.

6. CCJD

CCJD Member

I have an affinity for the oldest, coldest unidentified. Not necessarily the popular ones but those who really seem to have been left behind or forgotten.

That brings me to a question that maybe someone here can answer...

Black Creek Jane Doe - found in 1973, no dentals (but had a partial plate), no fingerprints and has insufficient DNA for profiling using the methods employed by UNT/NamUs/Codis. Would her DNA be viable for GEDMatch? Or is she just destined to be unknown forever?

Unidentified Person Case

Pennsylvania Missing Persons and Unidentified Victims

7. MelmothTheLost

She's not necessarily destined to be unknown forever, as you put it. DNA techniques are improving all the time, especially in terms of amplifying poor quality or extrapolating from incomplete DNA. I would hope the authorities concerned would keep developments under review and have another attempt in future instead of deciding that if her DNA was not usable in, say, 2008 then it never will be.

As things stand, I doubt DDP could help at this point as part of their process involves evaluating the DNA available to check that it's of sufficient quality before they proceed any further, as I believe they need good quality DNA to start with. That said, several of their current cases have had their DNA run again because the first processing attempt didn't produce clear enough results.

CCJD likes this.