Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that as a society we generally accept the reality that obesity takes years off one’s life by making him or her more likely to have heart/cardiovascular disease, diabetes, disabilities, depression, etc., yet there are such strong reactions against the reality showing that those who are obese and/or have cardiovascular disease or diabetes are much much more likely to be threatened by COVID-19 than those with a healthy weight and without cardiovascular disease or diabetes.

Where are you seeing the strong reactions?

I see obesity mentioned every day and in nearly every type of MSM and SM.

This relates to the recent Federal court decision on gatherings during the Coronavirus pandemic in NY. Full court decision at link.

Home » Office of Public Affairs » News
https://www.thomasmoresociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Dist.-Ct.-Memo-and-Order-June-26-2020.pdf. The department's previous statement on religious concerns in New York City can be found here Statement from Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband and U.S. Attorney Matthew Schneider on New York City’s Reopening Plans.

Topic(s):
Civil Rights
Component(s):
Civil Rights Division
Press Release Number:
20-597
Updated June 26, 2020

You need to follow the links to find the Statement from the Assistant Attorney General. The sum of the comments seem to indicate the the Attorney General encourages the enforcement of equal restrictions on outside protests, which it endorses as "the best of our Nation's traditions", and indoor religious services.

Since there can be no restrictions on protests, it seems to suggest that there should be no restrictions on religious gatherings.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1287721/download

Last edited:
Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #63

Ireland

THE DEPARTMENT OF Health has confirmed that a further six patients diagnosed with Covid-19 have died and there are 23 new cases of the disease in Ireland.

The figures were released by the Department this evening.

It brings the total number of confirmed cases here to 25,437. It also brings the death toll from Covid-19 in Ireland to 1,734, including two denotifications of deaths which were previously reported as a result of the virus.

The increase in the number of new cases to 23 has prompted concerns within the Department of Health.

“High levels of compliance to public health advice to date has enabled further reopening of economic and social life,” Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan said.

“However, of the 23 cases reported today, 10 cases – 43% – are in younger adults aged under 35 years. A further 8 cases – 35% – are in those aged between 35-54.

I bought a bottle of hand sanitizer from a distillery. Paid for it online and contactless pickup. Good price, pretty bottle with decorative label. First time I used it - oh my gosh, the smell!
Took me back to my college days.....

There is a commercial (not sure what company - Amazon or Walmart, maybe) - during which a young woman displays bottle of hand sanitizer and says something like, "When this came in to the warehouse, we thought it looked like cases of Vodka!" I'll try to find it and post if I do.

About the masks issue: It might be a good idea for stores to take a slightly different approach. For instance, those who wear a mask get a 10% discount. More shoppers would wear masks, especially those who just don't like to bother. Of course, those who are against masks on principle would just have to pay more, which could go into a special fund to pay for their upcoming bouts of illness. MOO

How can this be? It's Saturday and the day's merely half over. This is gut wrenching. Most of the snowbirds from these parts, N. ON., go back to live in Florida once we feel a chill in the air. The migration begins in just three months. Many of them don't have winterized homes so that they can stay in Canada for the winter. So on top of the concern for the residents, I'm also concerned for those from outside the state.
I don’t know any snowbirds, I didn’t realize their homes were not winterized! Yikes! I’m familiar with vacation homes in other states but those are not six months here/six months there situation.

About the masks issue: It might be a good idea for stores to take a slightly different approach. For instance, those who wear a mask get a 10% discount. More shoppers would wear masks, especially those who just don't like to bother. Of course, those who are against masks on principle would just have to pay more, which could go into a special fund to pay for their upcoming bouts of illness. MOO

So, of course, they'd have to raise prices first, right? To keep the same profit margin.

I think this would help. I also think basic surgical style masks (as effective as many cloth masks) should be available at the door.

I bet some people would not wear their masks until at the check-out, though. So a store employee could stand at the entrance and give people 10% coupons if they had their masks on.

This would make the whole process less confrontational for sure.

Excellent post. Thank you.

Rates of COVID deaths per 1 million in population

Spain - one of Europe’s strictest/most compliant lockdowns: 606 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Italy - one of Europe’s strictest/most compliant lockdowns: 574 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Sweden - no lockdown: 523 deaths per 1,000,000 people

France - one of Europe’s strictest/most compliant lockdowns: 436 deaths per 1,000,000 people

US - different approaches in the various states: 386 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Germany - one of Europe’s least compliant lockdowns: 108 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Denmark - one of Europe’s least compliant lockdowns: 104 deaths per 1,000,000 people

States with an early lockdown and that required/pressured long term care facilities to accept back residents who had gone to the hospital with COVID.

New Jersey: 1,695 deaths per 1,000,000 people

New York: 1,615 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Connecticut: 1,208 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Massachusetts: 1,163 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Michigan: 614 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Illinois: 556 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Pennsylvania: 519 deaths per 1,000,000 people

States where there was no lockdown or no shelter in place; South Carolina, which issued its shelter in place order much later than other states did, did not limit gatherings for religious services, and started reopening in April; and other states that started reopening in April.

South Dakota - no lock down: 99 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Iowa - no shelter in place: 223 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Nebraska - no shelter in place: 138 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Arkansas - no shelter in place: 135 deaths per 1,000,000 people

North Dakota - no shelter in place: 102 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Utah - no shelter in place: 52 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Wyoming - no shelter in place: 35 deaths per 1,000,000 people

North Dakota - no shelter in place: 102 deaths per 1,000,000 people

South Carolina - no shelter in place order until into April, no limits on gatherings for religious services, started reopening in April: 135 deaths per 1,000,000 million people

Colorado - started reopening in April: 291 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Georgia - started reopening in April: 261 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Oklahoma - started reopening in April: 95 deaths per 1,000,000 people

Montana - started reopening in April: 21 deaths per 1,000,000 people

So, of course, they'd have to raise prices first, right? To keep the same profit margin.

I think this would help. I also think basic surgical style masks (as effective as many cloth masks) should be available at the door.

I bet some people would not wear their masks until at the check-out, though. So a store employee could stand at the entrance and give people 10% coupons if they had their masks on.

This would make the whole process less confrontational for sure.
I wish the stores would go back to having “senior” hours, a lot more mask wearing and less people. Maybe we could have “mask” hour so those of us wanting to protect ourselves and limit exposure with the horrific rising cases.
JMO

I don’t know any snowbirds, I didn’t realize their homes were not winterized! Yikes! I’m familiar with vacation homes in other states but those are not six months here/six months there situation.
That would be in the Northern parts. Some are and some are not. Lots of snowbirds here in SW Ontario but they have winterized homes. Folks refer to the North as cottage country. IMO

I have Floridian snowbirds across the street, they come up Apr/May-Sept/Oct. They have an old-style seashore bungalow that is not insulated, it sits on a slab and heats by electric.

Those home are a dying breed. Most homeowners have since knocked them down after Hurricane Sandy and built narrow 3-4 story McMansions.

Last edited:
Ireland

THE DEPARTMENT OF Health has confirmed that a further six patients diagnosed with Covid-19 have died and there are 23 new cases of the disease in Ireland. It brings the total number of confirmed cases here to 25,437. It also brings the death toll from Covid-19 in Ireland to 1,734, including two denotifications of deaths which were previously reported as a result of the virus. The increase in the number of new cases to 23 has prompted concerns within the Department of Health.

High levels of compliance to public health advice to date has enabled further reopening of economic and social life,” Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan said.

I Bolded the significant part.

Ireland's Total # of Deaths is roughly double our recent 1 Day Totals.

The Bolded text is only what many of us have been saying all along. I stand by what I've said, some day in the future, books will look back on this period as perhaps the Worst handled crisis in the country's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert