Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #63

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59
Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

Please remember ...

No blatantly political posts.
Do not be rude or argumentative.
Do not discuss other members or enquire as to their whereabouts. Members are entitled to their privacy.

Do not discuss moderators, moderation, or removed posts. Doing so can result in a temporary or permanent ban from Websleuths.

If you state information as fact, you must provide a link to support that fact. No link, no post !!

Members may copy their own posts from the general discussion thread over to relevant, more local threads in other appropriate Covid-19 sub-forums. If you think someone else's post relates specifically to another thread within the forum, please use the Report feature to let Mods/Admins know and we will move it on over for you.

If you wish to start a new thread, please run it by a Mod or Admin for approval.

Stay safe, healthy, strong and be kind to others.

Permanent thread bans have been and will be issued for members who persist in trying to make the thread about politics.

In case you have not read the opening posts above, please etch this part of Tricia's post above in your memory:

NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT

Hey everyone,

Politicizing is not allowed. We realize it's difficult to separate Covid from politics in this discussion, but ...

If you are going to post about 1 or 1 million people attending a rally, a church event, etc, put on by God knows who, make sure your post indicates how the content of that post relates to Covid19 and isn't just about politics or political figures.

From Tricia's post at the beginning of each of these threads:

NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.

This post lands at random.

Address the post and NOT the poster.

Snarky, rude and personalizing posts that disrespect or denigrate another member get removed and may result in a permanent Thread Reply Ban or a board Time Out.

I'll probably be pelted with rotten fruit, but I have 2 thoughts on virus thingee:

My first thought is, we are now seeing a spike because of the protests, peaceful and/or otherwise. Disagree if you will, deny if you will, but this is how "I" see it. I further believe there will be other spikes due to other congregations, rallies if you will, beachgoers possibly, people just deciding to live their lives.

My second thought is to let people live their lives as they see fit. Open everything up. By now everyone has been told ad nauseum the risks of this virus. Those who want to wear masks and distance, go for it. Those who want to hiberinate, by all means do so. Even so, open up and let the chips fall where they may. We need to get over this thing quickly to keep the world economy afloat, and that impacts each and every one of us.

We heard at first that hospitals would be overwhelmed. I didn't see so much of that. Didn't Cuomo send back the hospital ship? Then there was a shortage of ventilators. Didn't we also hear that they did more harm than good at times? Then there were the nursing homes - well, enough old folks died. . .'nuff said about that.

I may sound cruel, stupid, naiive, but to me the horse is already out of the barn. Let's ride this thing through to the end and be done with it.

One thing though, I wish everyone to make their peace with God.

Pelt away.

MY OPINION ONLY

The real debate in here seems to be who’s responsible for our health and well-being during a pandemic.

I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t want the government making decisions for me regarding my health and well-being. This isn’t a one size fits all virus/pandemic for people and places.
jmo

What about leadership?

No quick fixes to stop coronavirus spikes in hot spots like Florida and Texas, Dr. Scott Gottlieb says

Due to the lag in how long it takes once someone is infected to develop symptoms, get tested and receive results, a confirmed case today could reflect an infection that occurred up to three weeks ago, Gottlieb said.

"I think it's going to be difficult now to get this under control. Whatever these states do right now is really going to help them in about two weeks, maybe a little bit longer than that. Whatever policy decisions they made a week or two ago, that's what we're seeing flow through right now."

In New York City, which had been the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak, officials issued a stay-at-home order on March 20. But daily new cases did not peak until April 6.

Last edited:
I'll probably be pelted with rotten fruit, but I have 2 thoughts on virus thingee:

My first thought is, we are now seeing a spike because of the protests, peaceful and/or otherwise. Disagree if you will, deny if you will, but this is how "I" see it. I further believe there will be other spikes due to other congregations, rallies if you will, beachgoers possibly, people just deciding to live their lives.

My second thought is to let people live their lives as they see fit. Open everything up. By now everyone has been told ad nauseum the risks of this virus. Those who want to wear masks and distance, go for it. Those who want to hiberinate, by all means do so. Even so, open up and let the chips fall where they may. We need to get over this thing quickly to keep the world economy afloat, and that impacts each and every one of us.

We heard at first that hospitals would be overwhelmed. I didn't see so much of that. Didn't Cuomo send back the hospital ship? Then there was a shortage of ventilators. Didn't we also hear that they did more harm than good at times? Then there were the nursing homes - well, enough old folks died. . .'nuff said about that.

I may sound cruel, stupid, naiive, but to me the horse is already out of the barn. Let's ride this thing through to the end and be done with it.

Pelt away.

MY OPINION ONLY
I somewhat see your point. However, I don't understand the issue with wearing masks. It's not asking that much to try and preserve lives. I personally don't want to get it, I don't want to stay home for 2 years so I won't get it, and I don't want to give it to anyone else if I do get it.

Those who don't want to wear them do affect everyone else. Servers in restaurants who have to wait on them, medical professional people who have to take care of them if they become ill, store clerks and coffee servers and bus drivers , etc. Even though the workers are wearing masks, they still run the risk of catching the virus from someone who is not.

If we want to let it run loose, why not take the extra precaution. Protect the life of my 87 year-old mom, my 88 year-old dad, and my disabled brother, my son and SIL who are on BP medication, etc. Think of them as fashion statements, if nothing else. JMO

Seems protesting over a mask falls a bit short than, say, protesting a war...like Vietnam for example. It's really not such a big deal, if it helps restore some normalcy. Again JMO

This link I have provided to the raw data appears to show at least an 80% reduction in the weekly cumulative deaths so a 90% reduction based on the daily numbers could be feasible IMO.

Sorry, but saying it's 90% is dishonest (not by you). We've come full circle though and I have no intention of going back to the original posts to show why the calculations are wrong.

IMO the Countries who have done well have had strong leadership. I'm more than satisfied with Canada's. Have their been mis-steps along the way-yes. Have their been issues brought to light-yes. No Country was prepared for this mess. We can learn from it and move on. Safely. What we do today has a very long term effect.

I somewhat see your point. However, I don't understand the issue with wearing masks. It's not asking that much to try and preserve lives. I personally don't want to get it, I don't want to stay home for 2 years so I won't get it, and I don't want to give it to anyone else if I do get it.

Those who don't want to wear them do affect everyone else. Servers in restaurants who have to wait on them, medical professional people who have to take care of them if they become ill, store clerks and coffee servers and bus drivers , etc. Even though the workers are wearing masks, they still run the risk of catching the virus from someone who is not.

If we want to let it run loose, why not take the extra precaution. Protect the life of my 87 year-old mom, my 88 year-old dad, and my disabled brother, my son and SIL who are on BP medication, etc. Think of them as fashion statements, if nothing else. JMO

Seems protesting over a mask falls a bit short than, say, protesting a war...like Vietnam for example. It's really not such a big deal, if it helps restore some normalcy. Again JMO

Like it or not, it's up to each specific city, county, state, business and person if masks are worn or not.

Do you think it should be made a requirement at a national level to wear a mask?

Pelt away.

MY OPINION ONLY

There are many who feel the same way. Unfortunately it's hard to find a platform, so we have to evangelize, one person at a time.

The mask argument, for example, is easy to settle - I posted this weeks ago - stop worrying about needing other people to protect you - get a proper mask that protects you. I wear my N95 and someone commented on the "regulator" not stopping my outgoing "spew." I said "I'm not wearing it for anyone else."

I just ran out to the store and sports talk radio is the latest source of frustration - if I hear one more multi-millionaire talk about "health and safety" being the prime concern, I'm going to drive off the road. If you don't want to play, then don't play. If fans don't want to attend, they won't attend. Can you imagine guys like Dick Butkus or Mike Ditka being concerned about this? Word would have gone out to their teammates and coaches that the first one to complain of symptoms and get tested would have Hell to pay. If you're dying, go to the hospital, otherwise rub some dirt on it and get back in the game.

and so it begins:

Cowboys-Steelers Hall of Fame Game canceled

The Pro Football Hall of Fame has canceled the NFL's preseason-opening game between the Cowboys and Steelers, who were scheduled to play the pre-season opener on Aug. 6 in Canton, Ohio.

The Hall of Fame Game marks the first event on the NFL calendar canceled because of the pandemic.

Like it or not, it's up to each specific city, county, state, business and person if masks are worn or not.

Do you think it should be made a requirement at a national level to wear a mask?
If it would make the virus wane yes. Or even better, go away or stall til we have a vaccine. What good does it do to have some states mandating it and others ridiculing it? Some people swearing by it and others feeling foolish? Some sort of national statement on this might change the way people looked at the whole picture. And, IMHO, we should have all always been on the same path to fight this together.

We will all mesh together eventually and continue to spread it back and forth. Masks seems to be working in other countries. And no one seems to take advantage of the advance warning from places where spikes were previously.

If it would make the virus wane yes. Or even better, go away or stall til we have a vaccine. What good does it do to have some states mandating it and others ridiculing it? Some people swearing by it and others feeling foolish? Some sort of national statement on this might change the way people looked at the whole picture. And, IMHO, we should have all always been on the same path to fight this together.

We will all mesh together eventually and continue to spread it back and forth. Masks seems to be working in other countries. And no one seems to take advantage of the advance warning from places where spikes were previously.

I think the biggest problem we have right now with Covid-19 is complacency. We all play a part in creating a safer environment for our communities. Social distancing and masking are not substitutes for one another. When possible they should be practiced together. However, we need to remember that it's not a one size fits all and some people are unable to follow those recommendations.

I feel that we need to start transitioning from a crisis response to a long term response. At this point, we need to learn to live in a Covid environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07