Found Deceased TX - PFC Vanessa Guillen, 20, Fort Hood military base, items left behind, 22 Apr 2020 #2 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think about the phone records. Why did it take them 2 months to request those? That would’ve been my first move- especially knowing it was gone. Can phone records display Texts? If she was called in through text, then that could at least have more weight on if this call in was more legit. If it was on other social media, then that could definitely show this wasn’t official business. JMo

CID would have have requested those phone records as soon as possible. The issue is that they won’t provide them to the family, as they are likely being treated as evidence.

Those records would contain text message numbers, but I don’t think they would be able to obtain the text messages themselves (it’s my understanding you usually need the actual phone for that).

CID would have have requested those phone records as soon as possible. The issue is that they won’t provide them to the family, as they are likely being treated as evidence.

Those records would contain text message numbers, but I don’t think they would be able to obtain the text messages themselves (it’s my understanding you usually need the actual phone for that).

Correct, retention of text content is zero to a handful of days depending on the carrier. Without the physical device, no content but text numbers could still be helpful

So just a thought. I will sometimes leave my purse in my car and just take my wallett if I'm running in quick somewhere. So maybe she went in and just grabbed her ID and keys. Maybe she has like her id that she has a wristlet for with her keys. The thing is with her purse in the car she was either going somewhere or coming back from somewhere since her dorm is so close to work she wouldn't need her whole purse to run to work. Maybe she was planning on going to excercise exercise on base but I bet the gyms were shut down. Was she going to get food? Even wearing workout clothes doesnt mean she was going for a run. Tons of girls dress that way all the time especially during Covid lockdown. I think she had plans to go somewhere with her purse in the car still.
But would you only take your phone, let it go dead, and leave your car?

MOO maybe for a run. Someone may have killed her while she was out running.
MOO most exercise runners run the same place so they have predictable mileage.
Usually friends know the person's habit and where they go to run, for instance to get 5 miles at lunch.

regarding text messages. Few years ago I wanted to get my own printout of deleted texts by the carrier AT&T. They replied texts are not stored by them. So if not on phone they are gone. Probably be able to pull off actual phone if deleted but I’m not sure.

Not trying to piss anyone off but coyld we respectful keep Gregory's Wendell

Maybe the pings they are tracking is from someone else's phone that they were able to determine or traveled along the same route at the same time as hers at first. Maybe they've gotten a hold of someone's pho

Usually friends know the person's habit and where they go to run, for instance to get 5 miles at lunch.
i would leave my purse before I’d leave my phone. Take phone & keys run in do what I gotta do. Or go for a walk at a park. Hide purse. I’d take my phone even if battery dead. $$$$$ plus all your contacts etc.

Correct, retention of text content is zero to a handful of days depending on the carrier. Without the physical device, no content but text numbers could still be helpful

I always wondered if texts could be obtained. Now, if they subpoenaed the suspect’s(whom ever it may be) phone, I wonder if they’d be able to obtain deleted texts?

they would at least see if they received texts from her number, I’m assuming.

I always wondered if texts could be obtained. Now, if they subpoenaed the suspect’s(whom ever it may be) phone, I wonder if they’d be able to obtain deleted texts?

they would at least see if they received texts from her number, I’m assuming.
There is typically a pretty decent success rate when it comes to retrieving deleted phone information (texts, searches, photos).

Specialized software makes it especially easy to process and analyze that stuff.

KWTX News 10

LULAC warns mothers not to let their daughters enlist in the Army with a picture of Vanessa Guillen . Not even sure what to say about this. IMO
I don’t agree with this. :/. I mean, as a mother I would definitely be terrified during this time. But it’s not all of the Army’s fault. There are bad apples everywhere. I think there should definitely be reform though. But this, IMO isn’t the answer.

Court tv segment very critical of the Army's handling of this case. The commentator remarked that he is "floored" by the seemingly lack of action in the case. IMO, I'm not floored at all. Just because details aren't being released, doesn't mean an investigation is not ongoing. We have seen that in so, so many cases.

FT. HOOD MISSING SOLDIER: Where is Vanessa Guillen?

Court tv segment very critical of the Army's handling of this case. The commentator remarked that he is "floored" by the seemingly lack of action in the case. IMO, I'm not floored at all. Just because details aren't being released, doesn't mean an investigation is not ongoing. We have seen that in so, so many cases.

FT. HOOD MISSING SOLDIER: Where is Vanessa Guillen?
Yeah, because these investigators are CID, they are able to prevent leaks. Crimes being investigated by military agencies don’t have the issues that occur in the civilian world.

They have interviewed hundreds of people, and scoured the base. Up until just recently, we had no idea how much they had done.

I was critical up until a couple days ago, but not anymore.

I don’t agree with this. :/. I mean, as a mother I would definitely be terrified during this time. But it’s not all of the Army’s fault. There are bad apples everywhere. I think there should definitely be reform though. But this, IMO isn’t the answer.
MOO the terrible practice of preying on lesser ranks is something that predated women in the army.

No, I would definitely carry my phone somewhere, but leave my purse in the car if I was running into the building really quick and coming right back to my car, especially on base. So my thought is maybe she was taken or lured from the armory. Her athletic clothes probably didn't have pockets so she was probably carrying her phone in her hand and maybe she had her ID in one of those wristlets and car keys. My point is I think she was planning on going somewhere else after or either before if her purse was actually in her car because she lives right where her work was and the armory. There'd be no need to put your purse in the car if you were literally running to work to do something and go right back to your dorm. Also if she was going form her dorm to run why would her purse be in the car because the parking lot was right where she lives. Also if going for a run why would your purse be in the car.

Are we in agreement that her parking lot for her dorm and work and the armory are all in the same location pretty much?

No, I would definitely carry my phone somewhere, but leave my purse in the car if I was running into the building really quick and coming right back to my car, especially on base. So my thought is maybe she was taken or lured from the armory. Her athletic clothes probably didn't have pockets so she was probably carrying her phone in her hand and maybe she had her ID in one of those wristlets and car keys. My point is I think she was planning on going somewhere else after or either before if her purse was actually in her car because she lives right where her work was and the armory. There'd be no need to put your purse in the car if you were literally running to work to do something and go right back to your dorm. Also if she was going form her dorm to run why would her purse be in the car because the parking lot was right where she lives. Also if going for a run why would your purse be in the car.

Are we in agreement that her parking lot for her dorm and work and the armory are all in the same location pretty much?
I haven't seen the definitive map on those locations. Is there one you have seen?
Separating wallet and keys from purse then carrying just phone seems awkward.

Last edited:
There is typically a pretty decent success rate when it comes to retrieving deleted phone information (texts, searches, photos). Specialized software makes it especially easy to process and analyze that stuff.
My vague impression is that the good olde days of easy retrieval might be in the past when a good number of criminals, office employees, and cheating husbands learned the hard way that hitting 'delete' did not truly delete anything.

Instead, the incriminating evidence was readily available for a period of time to inquiring wives, managers and others familiar with the software. Likewise, as you mentioned, it was often retrievable by police investigators for longer periods of time using common data recovery software.

But..... modern erase algorithms might be far permanent. Take for instance the case of the Apple phone and the San Bernardino terrorists. Breaking the entry password on the phone would have been easy for the FBI.

But... that would lead to an erasure of data that was evidently extremely hard to recover- even for the FBI. A series of court battles occurred before the FBI was helped by an unknown and very technically adept "friend" to salvage the data nd withdrew from Court.

Likewise, there has been discussion here as to whether or not conversations on Snap Chat can be later salvaged and reviewed by anybody- even by agencies with state level technical departments or by the FBI with national level resources.

I wish I had more information. There might also be a difference between say a user hitting the delete function and somebody triggering a say, "deep erase" function.

Last edited:
Just one more link for today.. I found this article from April 27th outlining how the investigation was proceeding. She had only been missing 3-4 days at that point.

"We are completely committed to finding Vanessa and aggressively going after every single piece of credible information and every lead in this investigation," said Chris Grey, spokesman for Army CID. "We will not stop until we find Vanessa."

"We are working very closely with multiple law enforcement agencies to include the FBI, Belton Police Department and the Texas Department of Public Safety, as well as others," Grey said. "We have also partnered with Texas EquuSearch and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to tap into their resources as well. We have participated in ground and air searches on Fort Hood and throughout the Central Texas region."

US Army Increases Reward to $25K for Information on Missing Fort Hood Soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members