GUILTY ID - Angie Dodge, 18, brutally murdered at home, Idaho Falls, 13 June 1996 *Arrest in 2019*

Does anyone know if they collected DNA samples from persons living down the street, across the street, in the neighborhood and compare. Something tells me they didn't do that.
This young woman, from what i have read here was not killed by some serial killer that happened to be in town that day. She was killed by someone that lived RIGHT THERE!

At the time, could have been a young person. Between the ages of 17-20. Someone she knew from the neighbhood but didn't know real well. I have not read all but i dont think there were signs of forced entry though i could be wrong. IF there are any relatives here, can you tell us did she advertise locally for something. Anything......Someone showed up there for a possible encounter, and she refused there advances. She was killed to keep from Identifying her attacker.
At the time I posted this I knew he lived right there where she was. Across the street. I had no doubt. Glad they got him and he finally confessed. RIP Angie

Angie Dodge’s murder has hung over this city like a dark mist for 23 years. It has torn countless lives to shreds. It has left a large family and her many friends in continuous grief, wondering what happened in that I Street apartment on a warm June night all those years ago. And it deprived all of us of knowing who Angie, a bright, happy 18-year-old who loved to write and play with children, would have become...

Most of all, this community owes a debt Carol Dodge. A few years ago, Dripps was happily living out his life in Caldwell while Christopher Tapp languished in prison. Today, Tapp is free and Dripps is in a jail cell awaiting trial. That would never have happened without her persistence.

Almost anyone would have lost hope after 23 years without a break in the case. They would have given up. They would have clung to a conviction, despite the mounting evidence that it was probably false, because it was something, at least. They would have listened to all the people telling them: It’s time to move on. Any of those reactions would have been easy to understand.

But those were never Carol Dodge’s reactions. She wanted the truth. She wanted real justice for her daughter. And she went to the ends of the Earth, over and over again, to get it.

Carol Dodge always said that new technology would solve the case. And, as she has been so many other times, she was right...
A dark mist is clearing

“He initially continued to deny having entered Angie Dodge’s apartment,” the probable cause affidavit states. “He then admitted to killing Angie Dodge. He said that he intended only to rape her and did not mean to kill her.

“He confirmed that he entered Dodge’s apartment by himself with a knife with the intent to rape her, that he did in fact rape her, that he had held a knife to her throat during the commission of the rape, and had cut her throat. He said that he washed his gloves in the bathroom, because they were covered in blood. He said however that he believed that Angie Dodge was still alive when he left her apartment. He said that he then returned to his apartment across the street.”
Suspect in 1996 rape, homicide of Angie Dodge said he didn’t intend to kill her, police say

Carol, as we miss Angie at this time of year I'm still amazed by your perseverance and determination, it's incredible and truly inspiring. You are a wonderful person. I'm very blessed to know you. We are here for you as always.
Way to go Carol. We knew this day would come. ;) We love & miss you Angie :)

I as well as so many others have believed in Chris Tapp's innocence for years. Yes it was a step in the right direction when he got it off prison, however that still want Justice. It wasn't Justice for him and it sure wasn't Justice for Angie or the Dodge family. So now that they have finally caught the real killer I truly hope that the police & the state of Idaho will right the wrong with Chris he deserves it. Mostly I hope that Angie can rest in peace ,that her family can find some sort of closure and even a little bit of peace themselves knowing that the sick individual who took Angie from them so many years ago will finally face the Justice he deserves.

Prosecutor: Chris Tapp ‘convicted of a crime he did not commit’ in Angie Dodge case (with clip)

July 12, 2019

"After spending nearly half of his life in prison for a crime he said he did not commit, and then getting released early from prison but still tagged with a murder-related conviction, Chris Tapp finally might get exonerated.

Tapp’s attorney and the prosecuting attorney are asking the court to vacate Tapp’s conviction.

“There exists clear and convincing evidence that (Tapp) was convicted of a crime he did not commit,” Bonneville County Prosecuting Attorney Daniel Clark wrote in a court filing. “Therefore, the state moves that the court grant post-conviction relief ... set aside the jury verdict and vacate the judgment of conviction and dismiss (the) case.”

In May 1998, an Idaho Falls jury convicted Tapp for aiding and abetting in the murder and rape of Angie Dodge in 1996. Tapp was sentenced to life with a minimum of 20 years for aiding the murder and a minimum of 10 years for aiding the rape. He would be eligible for parole in 2027.

While incarcerated, Tapp maintained his innocence — his DNA did not match the DNA collected at the crime scene — and filed with the court five unsuccessful petitions for post-conviction relief.

Eventually, on March 22, 2017, Tapp was released from prison after reaching a deal with prosecutors, but his murder-related conviction remained on his record....

On May 16, Idaho Falls police announced that they had arrested Brian Leigh Dripps in the rape and murder of Dodge....

Tapp’s post-conviction relief hearing is set for 1 p.m. Wednesday, July 17, in Idaho Falls before Judge Alan Stephens."

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article232606462.html

Angie-Dodge-murder.jpg

Christopher Tapp exonerated in 1996 murder of Angie Dodge
"I don't ever want anybody to ever forget about Angie Dodge," Tapp said.

July 17, 2019

"IDAHO FALLS, Idaho — Christopher Tapp was exonerated Wednesday after being wrongfully convicted of the 1996 murder of Angie Dodge.

"I hope that things get learned from this mistake, and I hope things get changed and things get better where there's never another mistake like this ever happens again in this community or in this state," Tapp said in a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

"I don't ever want anybody to ever forget about Angie Dodge," Tapp added. "That is the one thing in this world that people sometimes do forget because she is [overlooked] sometimes with all of this that is going on right now. I hope nobody ever forgets Angie Dodge."

On Thursday, his defense attorney filed a sixth petition for the court to understand the new DNA evidence proves he's completely innocent in this case he's already served 23 years in prison for...."

Christopher Tapp exonerated in 1996 murder of Angie Dodge

Experts call for reforms in police interrogations after Tapp exoneration

Jul 19, 2019

"Christopher Tapp's story is frighteningly common.

Tapp, who served more than 20 years in prison for the 1996 rape and murder of Angie Dodge, was exonerated Wednesday, two months after another man confessed to the crime and said he acted alone.

That Tapp is free, seven years before he would have been scheduled for his first parole hearing, is the culmination of the work of his public defender John Thomas and countless other volunteers. It's also a testament to the well-documented efforts of Carol Dodge, Angie's mother, who has long sought the truth about what happened to her daughter. In her search for the truth, Carol came to believe Tapp had nothing to do with Angie's death.

Certainly, Carol's role in advocating for the freedom of the man she once believed had stolen her daughter's life is different. There are many other people — primarily men — like Tapp, serving long prison sentences for crimes they didn't commit.

Aside from the elation that followed Tapp's exoneration Wednesday, the overwhelming message from those involved in helping him clear his name was that there are lessons to be learned.

Vanessa Potkin, The Innocence Project's director of post-conviction litigation, joined Tapp and Thomas at Wednesday's hearing. In a press conference afterward, she highlighted how common cases such as Tapp's are.

"Since 1989, two thousand, four hundred and now 67 people have been proven innocent when you take into account all types of evidence," she said.

Of those, 367 were cases where those who'd been convicted were later proven innocent through the use of DNA evidence. Like Tapp, 28% (103 people) had falsely confessed...."

Experts call for reforms in police interrogations after Tapp exoneration

Chris Tapp, Carol Dodge to appear on Dr. Oz Thursday (with clip)

October 16, 2019

"DAHO FALLS — Christopher Tapp is scheduled to tell his story with Carol and Brent Dodge on the nationally syndicated Dr. Oz talk show Thursday.

The title of the episode is ‘Exonerated! Mom helps free man convicted of killing her daughter’ and in preview video clips sent to EastIdahoNews.com, Tapp and his attorney, John Thomas, explain how he was “tricked” into being convicted for the rape and murder of Angie Dodge...."

Chris Tapp, Carol Dodge to appear on Dr. Oz Thursday | East Idaho News

Nov 8 2019 VIDEO.
Could cold case of Angie Dodge be solved decades later?
Could cold case of Angie Dodge be solved?
A public DNA database led to an arrest for a cold case from more than two decades ago. Angie Dodge was murdered in Idaho Falls in 1996, but police could not find her killer despite having a sample of his DNA. Anne-Marie Green, who has been following the case for more than two years, joins "CBS This Morning" to preview her "48 Hours" report, which airs Saturday, Nov. 9 at 10/9c on CBS

In the latest episode of ABC's 'The Genetic Detective', CeCe Moore uses her expertise in genetic genealogy to help the Idaho Falls police department crack a 24-year-old cold case. 18-year-old Angie Dodge had been living on her own in her first apartment at 444 I Street Idaho Falls when her body was discovered on June 13, 1996. She had been raped and brutally murdered. The case had gone unsolved for over two decades until Moore came on board after Angie's mother, Carol Dodge had sought her out.

'The Genetic Detective': CeCe Moore finds Angie Dodge's killer in 23-year-old murder case via genetic genealogy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back